Can Virus Rewrite Permissions?

Search This thread

Irwenzhao

Nov 23, 2013
Singapore
Can virus disguised in some apps rewrite permissions to allow them access to personal data?

Don't think they can unless they have root permissions, which the user have to allow/deny (unless the user sets the SuperSU to auto allow, which is stupid)

Smack that Thanks button if I helped!
XDAing from a N7105 powered by Illusion ROM.
Sent from a small country called Singapore.
P.S. Time for school, not much time for XDA :(

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Can virus disguised in some apps rewrite permissions to allow them access to personal data?

Any application that can gain root privileges can "rewrite" permissions, or give apps permissions they were previously denied. Given if an app can escalate that far, they dont need more permissions.

Second option would be a silent install vulnerability, allowing another app to sideload a new one. Look at my LGInstallServices vulnerability as a prime example.

Don't think they can unless they have root permissions, which the user have to allow/deny (unless the user sets the SuperSU to auto allow, which is stupid)

This is incorrect, superuser/supersu would only impact applications using the associated su binary to gain root. it would have no impact on applications gaining root through another route.

Reactions: Irwenzhao

Irwenzhao

Nov 23, 2013
Singapore
Any application that can gain root privileges can "rewrite" permissions, or give apps permissions they were previously denied. Given if an app can escalate that far, they dont need more permissions.

Second option would be a silent install vulnerability, allowing another app to sideload a new one. Look at my LGInstallServices vulnerability as a prime example.

This is incorrect, superuser/supersu would only impact applications using the associated su binary to gain root. it would have no impact on applications gaining root through another route.

Sorry for wrong information, and thanks @jcase for the right info.

derod

Jan 16, 2014

Youre saying that as long as youre rooted that apps wont be affected by virus?

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Sorry for wrong information, and thanks @jcase for the right info.

No worries man, if you see me with wrong info please call it out.

wk3054

Jan 21, 2014
Are you sure that the app would need root? I don't need root with CM to change app-permissions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.