Bootloader confusion, locked vs unlocked..

Search This thread

edthesped

Sep 13, 2010
I've had my xt1060 developer edition for a week now and have taken the 4.4 update. Before I go any further with this thing I'm trying to get a solid handle on upgrading and downgrading firmware...

- What I have gathered to date is that no phones with unlocked bootloaders can be downgraded without potentially bricking the phone, with the exception of the VZ 4.4 to 4.2.2 camera fix due to bootloader revision. Is this true even for the developer edition? Common sense tells me a developer phone should be able to run any version of stock firmware for "developer" purposes.

- In my reading I'm thinking there may be bootloader free flashable updates, e.g. android update 4.3 for the GS3. Is this true? As I can't seem to locate what I believe to be a stock firmware for the VZ edition.

- At this point with the released firmwares being pretty bare there really isn't a reason to want to downgrade but who knows what the future may hold, again look what Samsung and VZ did to us GS3 owners with the 4.3 release.

I'm thinking many of the issues posted are from people cross flashing firmware, avoiding doing this makes sense to me especially for an incremental upgrade.

I have to say that I feel information is inconsistent and hard to follow due to all of the different carrier and bootloaders. I assumed this phone would be similar to my old GNex when it came to flashing but it apparently is not nearly as forgiving.

Finally, am I missing any critical "must know" information?

Thanks

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville
I've had my xt1060 developer edition for a week now and have taken the 4.4 update. Before I go any further with this thing I'm trying to get a solid handle on upgrading and downgrading firmware...

- What I have gathered to date is that no phones with unlocked bootloaders can be downgraded without potentially bricking the phone, with the exception of the VZ 4.4 to 4.2.2 camera fix due to bootloader revision. Is this true even for the developer edition? Common sense tells me a developer phone should be able to run any version of stock firmware for "developer" purposes.

- In my reading I'm thinking there may be bootloader free flashable updates, e.g. android update 4.3 for the GS3. Is this true? As I can't seem to locate what I believe to be a stock firmware for the VZ edition.

- At this point with the released firmwares being pretty bare there really isn't a reason to want to downgrade but who knows what the future may hold, again look what Samsung and VZ did to us GS3 owners with the 4.3 release.

I'm thinking many of the issues posted are from people cross flashing firmware, avoiding doing this makes sense to me especially for an incremental upgrade.

I have to say that I feel information is inconsistent and hard to follow due to all of the different carrier and bootloaders. I assumed this phone would be similar to my old GNex when it came to flashing but it apparently is not nearly as forgiving.

Thanks

Here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2635366
All unlock boot loader motos are in the same boat, even DE variants
Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X

Reactions: edthesped

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks

Here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2635366
    All unlock boot loader motos are in the same boat, even DE variants
    Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X