How does Sense UI handle SMS/MMS?

Search This thread

MrX8503

Dec 30, 2008
I've been searching for a phone that can handle messaging like a champ and I'm hoping that the EVO 4G delivers with its Sense UI.

I tried searching for videos of messaging, but there are none that goes into any depth. I don't want to get a blackberry because its more for business and I want a fun phone. From what I can tell the iPhone handles messaging quite well by integrating SMS AND MMS into a thread. It also recognizes phone numbers in a text, which you can then add to your contacts.

I'm with Sprint and I don't plan on leaving them, so I've been looking at the EVO 4G. Does sense UI handle SMS/MMS together in a thread? I saw videos of the text msg widget and unfortunately that widget is AWFULLY slow. I don't understand why HTC even made it if its so choppy.

I also looked into Handcent app, which does a lot of what I would want, but I heard it becoming extremely laggy with long threads.

Cliff notes:

Does Sense UI handle both SMS/MMS together into a thread?
With long threads (1000+ msgs with another person) does it lag?
If it handles SMS and MMS separately, how well does it handle MMS?

Thanks

apristel

Feb 25, 2009
Green Bay
www.arizzle.com
Cliff notes:

Does Sense UI handle both SMS/MMS together into a thread?
With long threads (1000+ msgs with another person) does it lag?
If it handles SMS and MMS separately, how well does it handle MMS?

Thanks

Yes SMS/MMS together in a thread.
Hero lags, but the phone is slow. I bet the EVO is decent. But really, just delete some freaking msgs!! MMS is great, way better than my tp2, pictures actually are big not little ass pictures.

You will like it.

I've tried handcent and chompsms, both are great and customizable, but i always revert back to stock. Works great man.

MrX8503

Dec 30, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad that it can handle MMS together with SMS. I wish I could actually test it out to see how well it does this. I went to BestBuy the other day and they have a ton of Android phones, but none of them functioning. Lo behold they only had two iPhones and guess what? They both were fully functioning with fake dummy contacts, photos, text messages and everything.

I like to keep my messages, so thats why it gets so long, but I do back them up eventually.

Currently I have the Touch Diamond, and it handles SMS/MMS very poorly. If the new EVO 4G doesn't deliver, I'm gonna have to give up all hope and convert to the dark side.

mrono

Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad that it can handle MMS together with SMS. I wish I could actually test it out to see how well it does this. I went to BestBuy the other day and they have a ton of Android phones, but none of them functioning. Lo behold they only had two iPhones and guess what? They both were fully functioning with fake dummy contacts, photos, text messages and everything.

I like to keep my messages, so thats why it gets so long, but I do back them up eventually.

Currently I have the Touch Diamond, and it handles SMS/MMS very poorly. If the new EVO 4G doesn't deliver, I'm gonna have to give up all hope and convert to the dark side.

have you ever had a real android phone? with winmo as soon as it gets more then like 200 it starts to slow very badly

mr_blue92

Oct 14, 2008
I also jumped ship from winmo no complaints. Also if you're worried about long text threads look up SMS Backup, it backs up sms (not mms :() to a specific gmail label (creates new SMS label by default). You can delete long threads from the phone and still have a copy in the cloud which you can check from your phone with the gmail app anyway. :p

MrX8503

Dec 30, 2008
Yeah I read up on SMS backup and I'm definitely gonna be using it. Unfortunately there's no option for MMS. :(