[TESTING] XDAndroid GBX0C 2.3.7 Build

Search This thread

agibby5

Jan 24, 2009
PA
LG V35
I've been noticing very poor battery performance in this build. In FRX, I would only charge every 2 days. With this build, the phone dies once around noon and is dead when I wake in the morning... so I'm having to charge 2x per day. Anyone else noticing anything similar?

slickdaddy96

Sep 8, 2009
I've been noticing very poor battery performance in this build. In FRX, I would only charge every 2 days. With this build, the phone dies once around noon and is dead when I wake in the morning... so I'm having to charge 2x per day. Anyone else noticing anything similar?

I would agree the battery life is worse than FRX07.1 With FRX I was getting 12 hours or more on a single charge with moderate use. With moderate use on GBX0B I get maybe 5-8 hours. If I use it a lot maybe only 2-4 hours. Now granted my battery is getting older, and it may just be on its last leg, but I doubt it would decrease that much that quickly. I only switched to GBX0B in early February.

If I don't do much of anything on the phone call except for a SMS or phone call here or there it will last a good 15-18 hours or so without dying still.

I'm not sure what the difference is that might cause the shorten of battery life though.

CodaHighland

Feb 24, 2012
Even using apps and running the GPS I can pull 10-12 hours on mine, normal mild use gives me at least 16 (at which point I'm going to bed anyway and therefore have put it back on the charger regardless of remaining juice). I didn't run FRX to get a good comparison though.

It may also make a difference that I've got background sync turned off and I keep wifi off and data set to 2G when I'm not actively using data. Turning on wifi will drain it fast -- within a few hours.

slickdaddy96

Sep 8, 2009
Even using apps and running the GPS I can pull 10-12 hours on mine, normal mild use gives me at least 16 (at which point I'm going to bed anyway and therefore have put it back on the charger regardless of remaining juice). I didn't run FRX to get a good comparison though.

It may also make a difference that I've got background sync turned off and I keep wifi off and data set to 2G when I'm not actively using data. Turning on wifi will drain it fast -- within a few hours.

I can almost guarantee you, your battery saving techniques net you the extra battery life. I was running juice defender a little while before deciding a minimalist approach was best with apps with our phone. juice defender cutting on and off data and using 2G only in a lot of instances increased my battery life substantially to almost what you were getting (10-12 hours) with moderate use. It was doing autosync every 15-20 minutes instead of automatic push which is what I have most of my stuff set to. I only have Gmail, calendar, and contacts auto-synced though.

CodaHighland

Feb 24, 2012
Well, I say that but I don't always follow it. XD I keep wifi turned off at all times but I actually leave 3G on most of the time, and the last few days since I got AGPS working I've left location services enabled too. I have background sync turned off but I have a Twitter widget that polls every few (5? 10? I don't remember) minutes. Today I was on 3G all day, played some games, placed a few calls, and looked a few things up with the web browser, and my battery icon wasn't even down in the yellow before I plugged it in for the night.

It's background sync and wifi that are the real killers. Turn them off unless you absolutely can't have a smartphone without background sync. Bluetooth can be turned off too, especially if you're not using a headset.

So yeah, my habits probably stretch it even farther, maybe if I were being careful and turned data off entirely when I went to bed I could get away without charging it overnight and still have my alarm go off in the morning. (I'd probably have to charge it at my desk then...) But I would imagine most people should be able to get 12 hours on a healthy battery.

JDog2pt0

Sep 22, 2009
Morgan
I'm going to have to try juice defender. Anyways, I was amazed when I shutdown using the .27 kernel....and the phone actually shut down. Wish 3.2 did that.....

Also, who made the XDAndroid bootup logo?

pfc_m_drake

Mar 13, 2011
Today I was on 3G all day, played some games, placed a few calls, and looked a few things up with the web browser, and my battery icon wasn't even down in the yellow before I plugged it in for the night.
It's interesting that you say that. One of the things I was going to report was that the battery meter seems to be not reporting accurately with the newest 3.2 kernel (which is what I'm running).

The reason I say that is because when I booted back to WinMo the other night, the battery indicator in WinMo told me that I had drained substantially farther than XDA just had.

Granted, the battery meter was never great to begin with, but it had been better 'lately'.

So, I'd say this is more of an observation rather than a bug report. I wonder if you (or others) are seeing the same thing and that the battery is being reported as 'more full' than it really is???

CodaHighland

Feb 24, 2012
It took mine a couple weeks of use before it finally calibrated right, but it does seem pretty accurate now. For a while it was just dying without giving me a low-power warning, and now I'm getting them.

slickdaddy96

Sep 8, 2009
I'm going to have to try juice defender. Anyways, I was amazed when I shutdown using the .27 kernel....and the phone actually shut down. Wish 3.2 did that.....

Just be cautious of what you run in the background. Our phone does not have a lot of resources to begin with, and I found that some of the stuff I was running caused an issue with the phone UI showing up in a timely manner to call and to answer phones. After deleting all apps and widgets to a minimum of what I need and doing some of the speed improvements on that thread such as stopping some of my apps from running at startup, things work great without juice defender and other things. I'm not saying Juice Defender caused this issues, but since it always run changing settings whenever it wants, it could have something to do with issues on our builds.

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007

lol, you're going into the wayback machine in the project... This thread is the 'contest' for the boot animation, lugiber definitely submitted a lot of great ones - and one of his eventually did win.

His favorite of mine was the drunken droid, but he submitted many!

It's interesting that you say that. One of the things I was going to report was that the battery meter seems to be not reporting accurately with the newest 3.2 kernel (which is what I'm running).

The reason I say that is because when I booted back to WinMo the other night, the battery indicator in WinMo told me that I had drained substantially farther than XDA just had.

Granted, the battery meter was never great to begin with, but it had been better 'lately'.

So, I'd say this is more of an observation rather than a bug report. I wonder if you (or others) are seeing the same thing and that the battery is being reported as 'more full' than it really is???

The battery meter has always been off. jonpry (very talented developer) wrote a completely different batt algo - that even changed how polling worked, how it was calculated in sleep, and even designed a way to do 'mini-wakes' in order to get accurate battery readings. It worked great - but only for RHOD so it never made it mainline.

ACL was working to reverse-engineer the algo's from WinMo, with the hopes that we could at least get more sensible meters, as the current way we calculate battery life is very broken (as everyone knows).

There's a battery calibration app, which I hear helps in short bursts - but in reality we need to fix the algo.

fortunz

Apr 19, 2009
inside

Would you mind installing xdaledregime from your androidapps folder (by moving it to the root folder instead of a sub folder) and turning on the top option, amber if awake, green if asleep)? Then turn off your device and see if the led turns green?

I have been having sleep trouble. I turned in all my logs, but no smoking gun was found. I tweaked things a little since then (minfrees), and after it has been in android for 12-48 hours, it will start sleeping now, but it's very inconsistent. If there are more cases like mine, maybe it will help diagnose the problem.

mpannen

Jun 5, 2008
I've been using this package for a few days with a 3.2.11 kernel on my rhod400 and I am absolutely amazed at how well it is working! I haven't tried android on my tp2 in over a year and I am amazed how far it has come.

I have no complaints about battery life, I have been able to go all day now with moderate use. One weird issue I have been having is with vibration always enabled I never get vibration with new emails and sms. hmm. Other than that way to go!

numero9

Jul 24, 2007
Might be a dumb question but I finally got myself a larger capacity micro SD for this Touch Pro 2. I restored everything from my previous build on it through Titanium Backup but it seems that it's all going to "Phone" which maxes out really quickly. I understand it all goes to the SD card but there seems to be a large list of programs I can't move to "SD Card" in Android and are taking up phone space. Any idea how to clear this up so it eats away at the capacity for the "SD Card" which is considerably bigger?

fishingmedic

Apr 6, 2009
CT
Might be a dumb question but I finally got myself a larger capacity micro SD for this Touch Pro 2. I restored everything from my previous build on it through Titanium Backup but it seems that it's all going to "Phone" which maxes out really quickly. I understand it all goes to the SD card but there seems to be a large list of programs I can't move to "SD Card" in Android and are taking up phone space. Any idea how to clear this up so it eats away at the capacity for the "SD Card" which is considerably bigger?

You can make your data.img larger which then gives you more space, however keep in mind the more apps you have the more chances you have of creating issues. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=824154

frostyguy

Jul 26, 2009
Finally trying out the latest GBX0B, and upon start up, keeps restarting with the flying androids over and over again. Using RHOD400 and htc-msm-linux-20120227_213021-package.tar.bz2.

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Finally trying out the latest GBX0B, and upon start up, keeps restarting with the flying androids over and over again. Using RHOD400 and htc-msm-linux-20120227_213021-package.tar.bz2.

Is that the bundled kernel? Start with what's bundled.

Are you reusing a data.img? Please start fresh if so. ts-calibration is literally the only thing you can reuse from FRX.

Reactions: frostyguy

frostyguy

Jul 26, 2009
Got it to work, i think it was because I turned on the wifi, everything is smooth and gravy now. Thanks again arrrghhh.

JDog2pt0

Sep 22, 2009
Morgan
Trying out SetCPU. Have it set fairly default when the screen is on. 245min 691max (oc) w/ screen on. Using conservative govenor (slower scaling). However with the screen off, 128min 320max also using conservative govenor. We'll see how it goes in terms of SoD, waking speeds, overall speed, and battery life <- the main thing I'm looking to improve. I'll watch it over the week.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey folks,

This is a completely new build, with all the new changes baked in. We wanted to do a semi-official test release to collect bugs and hopefully do a formal official release with everything settled. The main pain point is the CSV files (see pre-install prep).

So a brief overview:

• New acoustic routing code baked in. Should fix most if not all audio routing problems, and will provide more debugging if stuff does go wrong. Also allows for more granular tweaking, see the CSV files.
    • GPS fixes for GB - GPS not only works in GB now, but it doesn't kill sleep! I was able to use GPS, get a solid lock, and put the device to sleep no problem.
    • BT should work & well with the new acoustic code. Post results.
    • RHOD users now have a choice of kernels. .35+ all have the new acoustic - so .35, .39, 3.0 and 3.1 are all fair game now... This is bundled with .27!!
    • Keep in mind, autobuild .27 kernels will produce no audio in this build... Obviously the bundled kernel will work, and the absolute newest .27 autobuild kernel does work now - Feb.27 2012 or newer.
    • rootfs tweaks - first, it will detect which kernel you're on (.27 or .35+) and automatically apply the correct firmware. Second, is it will always copy/extract the modules... failures there were getting annoying, and this is surefire if brute-force...
    • Few Easter egg apk's...
    • Probably a lot I'm forgetting, this might change ;)

Pre-Install Prep REQUIRED!!!

This step is crucial, and I forgot all about it! You must copy all of the *.CSV file from your WinMo ROM - these are in the \Windows\ directory. There's a very easy way to do this. It involves the Total Commander app for WinMo (Direct Link for the perpetually lazy...) (included in EnergyROM and others probably).

Now you're in Total Commander looking at your \Windows\ directory. Whew... lots of files. Fear not! Hit the "CTRL" button, then the green "Plus" button. This opens the Select/Unselect files dialog. Put in *.csv, press "select" and voila. All CSV files are selected. Now - File -> Copy/Move -> I want you to copy these (should be 10) files to the ROOT of your SD card. No folders!!! This is hardset right now, until we get it all implemented into the build properly. Thanks!

Install

Assuming you've done the pre-install prep; this is installed just like the other XDAndroid builds - grab your startup.txt (don't forget rel_path= if you don't have it at the root of the SD!), ts-calibration and boot!

Download
    Caveat List

• CDMA users might get a crash in phone.apk and no service on boot. If waiting doesn't resolve the issue, then reboot. Should come up fine...
    • BT might still be flaky
    • The CSV files from my RHOD400 are attached for the lazy. I'd like to gather CSV's from each RHOD, I'm curious if any ROM devs have changed them out either... This could get interesting. If you folks don't mind, post up your CSV's, point out differences with mine, etc... We're trying to figure out how to unify these, if possible! Thanks!
    Please post back any issues, enjoy!

GBX0C Changelog
    • Camcorder: Now works (tested on rhodium).
    • Acoustic: Bug-fix : correct random loss of dual(rear)-mic.
    • MMS: Bug-fix: Slides with zero duration on Sprint.
    • Gps: Bug-fix: Init/de-init sequence fix (correct gps not starting up after being unchecked in Settings).
    • Gps: Bug-fix: End gps session with a correct rpc call (relevant to amss6125 devices).
    • Gps: Bug-fix: Don't send delayed position requests after session has ended (possibly relevant to Navigation issues).
    • Gps: New feature: Xtra (aGPS) -> verified to work on rhodium/cdma raph.
    • X1 specific: Screen rotation patch.
    • Added tytung's GPS injector app to AndroidApps\Other as well as updating/cleaning up some apps in AndroidApps.
    • Modified rootfs for newest apsta firmware & wifi firmware - wifi tethering now works flawlessly in the newest kernels! .27 is still bundled for the record...
    Bump. New build guys.

(check the site, the link will be the same but timestamp will update... Not on the filename, on the actual site.) Sorry, I didn't want to make it look like a whole new build, so I kept the filename the same. You should just be able to hit the link in the first post as usual ;).

Everyone should grab the full bundle. It includes a new .27 acoustic kernel that should fix some problems, and there's a lot of userland fixes:
    • MMS should be fixed for Sprint users
    • XDAndroid will now show as the provider
    • GLES put back in (whoops)
    • Network-based location put back in (which was working before, but this last boot it didn't...? Let me know on this guys, I might need another update... Definitely seems broken!! What the heck. There'll be another update, sorry folks.)
    • hyc's dmesg binary baked into the rootfs (timestamps... in dmesg!)

There was A LOT of acoustic changes in this build (hao0907047407 - try again, perhaps you have sound now?). Download the full bundle, and REPLACE EVERYTHING!! I've added a lot of updates across the board, and I don't want people running partial stuff.

You should be able to reuse your data.img...

I'm still not able to get netloc to work... I am just scratching my head as to why it worked at first and now it doesn't. I'll keep working on it, but so far that seems to be the only thing I set out to fix that isn't.

Bring on that feedback guys!
    First post updated, new build. Enjoy, please report back. Changelog in the second post. I will update the changelog further, that's just detule's changelog of what's changed on the userland side of things... I still have some things to add from stuff I did. Thanks!
    OK, I finally got around to building and signing a new image. All went fairly well - sorted out the NetLoc problem (thanks detule), and along with a lot of patches and fixes from detule as well, we have ourselves a great build!

I'm having a few troubles before I release, and want to make sure I iron everything out before I do...

So first, XTRA is now working out of the box. I got a GPS lock within a few seconds in my basement... so yea. Wow. NetLoc again is also working. There's some acoustic fixes, along with the Sprint MMS fix. Finally, the camcorder should be fixed. Now I still don't think the RHOD100 cam patches have made it to the kernel - but again, that's a kernel issue, nothing to do with the userland side of things. Plus with the new firmware and the new kernels, wifi tethering now works FLAWLESSLY!! Hooray! Kudos to hyc for finding that gem out...

Unfortunately I will still have to bundle .27 for the older devices, sorry folks. I know it hasn't had an update in ages, but as most of you already know the newer kernels are working really quite well.

On to the issues, hopefully dumb ones. First, I got GPS to give me a lock but it won't disappear from the status bar. I remember someone mentioning this, but I don't remember the solution other than rebooting. Is this a bug? Anyone else confirm/figure out the cause/fix for it?