Advice on upgrading?

Search This thread

stamina11

Nov 12, 2013
Hey guys,
I apologize in advance if i am not up to speed on all the posts and news of S4 development.
My Verizon S4, is still running ME7 and i guess i keep waiting to get unlocked bootloader but it seems that probably will never happen since there are so many builds beyond that already.
Just to verify, ME7 and any of the later builds still have locked bootloader is that right?
Would you guy recommend that i do the update and switch to something newer? Hyperdrive is great, but running it through Safestrap is not ideal. At the same time i don't want just running a stock TouchWiz, which is the worst every.
Anyway, i am sorry if these are newb questions.

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
Hey guys,
I apologize in advance if i am not up to speed on all the posts and news of S4 development.
My Verizon S4, is still running ME7 and i guess i keep waiting to get unlocked bootloader but it seems that probably will never happen since there are so many builds beyond that already.
Just to verify, ME7 and any of the later builds still have locked bootloader is that right?
Would you guy recommend that i do the update and switch to something newer? Hyperdrive is great, but running it through Safestrap is not ideal. At the same time i don't want just running a stock TouchWiz, which is the worst every.

I really don't understand your comment on Hyperdrive and safestrap. I can go nearly 48hrs between charging my battery...I can customize to my heart content...everything works with no fcs. ..no reboots. You are definitely out of the loop

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

adamklo

Apr 18, 2011
Atlanta
Hey guys,

Glad I found your post, as I have been laying low for a while now and had the EXACT same question! I've been on HyperDrive RLS9.1 for a few months and, while I'm totally happy with it, I'm getting the itch to flash. I know the "ROMs that work with SS/ME7" thread is no longer updated and since 4.4.2 leaked, I'm wondering the same thing as you: would it be wise to update the OS past ME7? I'm pissed that as soon as I got my phone I let it OTA to ME7, but I had read everyone talking about NOT updating as they would likely lock out SS and such.

So, if I update (or flash) to a newer version, are there any significant benefits, or should I stick on ME7?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Glad I found your post, as I have been laying low for a while now and had the EXACT same question! I've been on HyperDrive RLS9.1 for a few months and, while I'm totally happy with it, I'm getting the itch to flash. I know the "ROMs that work with SS/ME7" thread is no longer updated and since 4.4.2 leaked, I'm wondering the same thing as you: would it be wise to update the OS past ME7? I'm pissed that as soon as I got my phone I let it OTA to ME7, but I had read everyone talking about NOT updating as they would likely lock out SS and such.

So, if I update (or flash) to a newer version, are there any significant benefits, or should I stick on ME7?

Right now you can still use SafeStrap with the updated bootloaders. And there are more ROM options for you too. Yes you will update your bootloader to a Knox one but people are still actively trying to find an exploit on those. If you want my opinion yea go ahead and update... But think about it in the end its your call

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

adamklo

Apr 18, 2011
Atlanta
Can you point me to a thread that can walk me through the latest update/upgrade process?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

adamklo

Apr 18, 2011
Atlanta
It's been two months since I posted last. My original question still remains: can someone show/tell me the process to upgrade my VZW S4 ME7 to a more recent build and the ROMs that available for it?

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
It's been two months since I posted last. My original question still remains: can someone show/tell me the process to upgrade my VZW S4 ME7 to a more recent build and the ROMs that available for it?

There are threads and videos available to check out so in 2 months you haven't research anything?

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom