Phone Doesn't Boot

Search This thread

cazcryy

Feb 22, 2014
Hello folks,

I have a ~1.5 year old Samsung Galaxy S3 (North American) rooted, with Cyanogenmod 11 installed.

Ever since installing CM11, my phone has been restarting itself with some regularity.

Today, with over half the battery left, the phone seemingly turned itself off. I do not believe this is an issue with the cyanogenmod OS and I also don't believe the issue is related to the restarting I've been experiencing. These restarts, in the vast majority of occasions, started with a brief freeze, then screen turning off, before the phone automatically starting up again. However, this time, the phone did not freeze before the screen went black, and the phone did not restart itself. I repeatedly tried pressing the power button to unlock, and when that didn't work, I tried long-pressing to either turn the phone off or back on. When that also failed to work, I pulled the battery, and put it back in. The Samsung logo came up, and then the Galaxy S3 logo with the Cyanogenmod logo came up, then the screen went black again.

And this is where I'm at currently. After the screen goes black, I can't get it to come back on. Long pressing the power button does not turn it back on. Only when I pull the battery and put it back in, does the boot process start. Every time, during the first few seconds of the boot process, the phone turns itself off. Sometimes it only lasts until the Samsung logo, sometimes to the GS3/CM logo.

If I plug the phone in, with the battery inserted, I briefly see a battery on the screen, but again, the phone shuts down.
If I plug the phone in, with the battery out, the LED turns red, the phone vibrates, but nothing happens, and the LED goes out.

I've read about power buttons getting stuck, but this doesn't seem to be the issues since my phone does not go into a boot loop sequence.

I've tried leaving the battery out for an hour or so, but there is no change.

I've also tried pressing power+home+vol down and power+home+vol up, and they seem to work, until again, the phone shuts off. So one of these combinations leads me to warnings about changing OS before shutting down after about the same number of seconds, and the other leads me to the boot logo with the blue text on the top left corner before shutting down.

To me, this doesn't seem to be an issue with software, but with the phone staying powered..somehow.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
If you have an American model then you have posted in the wrong forum, this is for the i9300 only.

Report your own post and ask a moderator to move it for you.

Questions should be posted in the q&a section.

cazcryy

Feb 22, 2014
If you have an American model then you have posted in the wrong forum, this is for the i9300 only.

Report your own post and ask a moderator to move it for you.

Questions should be posted in the q&a section.

Hmm, I posted here because I don't think int'l vs. NA version is particularly relevant for my issue, and the NA version is separated into different subforums depending on the carrier, so I figured it's more likely that users of the I9300 I9305 subforum have encountered the issue and/or have potential suggestions

Jumaqidi

Dec 3, 2013
Hmm, I posted here because I don't think int'l vs. NA version is particularly relevant for my issue, and the NA version is separated into different subforums depending on the carrier, so I figured it's more likely that users of the I9300 I9305 subforum have encountered the issue and/or have potential suggestions

It does actually. Ppl who have fixes uses the model number to fix their phone. Everyone on this forum will send u a link for GT-i9300 fix instead of ur phone model. Go to ur specific forum or u might hard brick ur phone.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app