[Q] Is Note Pro 12.2 Dead?

Search This thread

jsr0367

May 11, 2014
I like my Note Pro 12.2 but it seems to me that Samsung has given up on this device? Any thoughts?

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
First off it has always been my experience that samsung tablets get fewer updates than their phones do, and that it's worse with US carrier variants of a Samsung tablet.

With Google updating their core applications via play store updates these days the frequency of device updates doesn't concern me much. This tablet is stable and quick so I'm satisfied with what I have for now. I'm looking forward to an update to touchwiz but that won't likely happen until well after Android L comes out.

I don't know if this is obvious to everyone but many manufacturers tie significant software updates to product releases to give the new products some thunder. I wouldn't expect an update to the rest of the Note line until the Note 4 is out on the street. The same thing happened to the Note 10.1 2014 which saw a stall in updates while this tablet was being released and got its KitKat update after the Note Pro hit the streets.

This thing already ships with 4.4.2. There is no newer Android version. And there is no point in an update if there is nothing to add and nothing severe to fix. It's that simple.

4.4.3 won't come out until the Note 4 ships with it. After that, it's the S5 first, then the Note 3 and S4, and then the rest. And unless 4.4.3 adds something special for tablets, don't expect it to be rolled out to any tablet immediately.

dodo99x

Apr 2, 2011
Ottawa
Samsung's 4.4.2 is a pretty mature build, no big updates are needed. We probably won't see an update till Android L (5.0?) rolls out. And yes all Exynos 5420 devices will get upgraded. My suggestion is to stop worrying about updates and just enjoy your device. :)

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
And yes all Exynos 5420 devices will get upgraded.

I'd never use the words all or definitely in anything having to do with Samsung. The N10.1-14, Pro's, and S's are all using near identical h/w yet all are running different versions of TW with different feature sets and varying versions of Samsung's s/w (EG: My Files, S Note, etc.) Lately, updates seem to be focused on the OS rather than bringing newer or more current functionality to older devices. The Note II didn't get any of the Note 3's enhancements, the N10.1 any of the N10.1-14's, and the N3 didn't get any of the SGS5's; even though they are all running 4.4.2. Hell, Samsung's rolling the updates they do provide out at a snail's pace with the N10.1 and N10.1-14's 4.4.2 update still missing from many markets even though the initial release was months ago.

The N12 was most likely always intended to be a niche device. All the market analysis says 8-9" tablets are now the sweet spot going forward with sales slowing down considerably across all sized tablets based on phablets being bought (especially in Asia) as alternatives. Samsung's tablet strategy over the past year has been bizarre. The N10.1-14 was announced and shipped in November of last year without nary a leak of its impending arrival. Then the Pro's were announced with much fanfare and the less than four month old N10.1-14 never mentioned again by Samsung. Then four months after that the S' orphaned the Pro's.

So it doesn't seem Samsung's tablet sales strategy is that solid and now between Wi-Fi, 3G, and LTE versions of multiple 8ish", 10.1" and 12.2" tablets all running different versions of s/w they've created a quagmire when it comes to updates; especially considering each of those tablets is also running different s/w across God knows how many regions each.

It would certainly make sense based on its selling price that the N12 would be a front runner for updates but its sales volume is well below other newish Samsung tablets. Samsung's logic appears random (did anyone expect the over two-year old N10.1 to receive 4.4.2?) hence avoiding terms like all and definitely.

enigma_x

Jan 1, 2013
It would certainly make sense based on its selling price that the N12 would be a front runner for updates but its sales volume is well below other newish Samsung tablets. Samsung's logic appears random (did anyone expect the over two-year old N10.1 to receive 4.4.2?) hence avoiding terms like all and definitely.

And nordic one, N8000, is still missing that update - it is still running 4.1.2 - althought 4.4.2 came already on may in Germany.

There is no logic with Samsung. And im not going to follow that illogical train anymore...

Sent from my phone - Note 10.1 (N8000)

Last edited:

dodo99x

Apr 2, 2011
Ottawa
I'd never use the words all or definitely in anything having to do with Samsung. The N10.1-14, Pro's, and S's are all using near identical h/w yet all are running different versions of TW with different feature sets and varying versions of Samsung's s/w

Google has already released Linux 3.10 kernel config files for Exynos and Qualcomm SOCs. Work has already started to bring Android L to our devices. :)

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/google-experimental-3-10-defconfigs-msm-exynos-tegra/

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Google has already released Linux 3.10 kernel config files for Exynos and Qualcomm SOCs. Work has already started to bring Android L to our devices. :)

Google releasing s/w Samsung could use in their development has nothing to do with the update schedule for existing devices. Exynos 5433 is already out. It's more likely to appear with Android L first and in a new device. The results of Samsung's access to new Android code and the timing of existing devices receiving it via an update has always been piss poor. What's changed?

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Google releasing s/w Samsung could use in their development has nothing to do with the update schedule for existing devices. Exynos 5433 is already out. It's more likely to appear with Android L first and in a new device. The results of Samsung's access to new Android code and the timing of existing devices receiving it via an update has always been piss poor. What's changed?

This is why I have never believed the rumors of the Nexus line being discontinued. I can't imagine android development continuing without a vanilla device build out in the wild unencumbered by all of the bull$h!t antics of not wanting the updates of software on one device to affect the initial sales of a new one. At least that's the impression samsung puts off; for all I know there's only a couple of developers on staff and they aren't allowed to develop for anything BUT the next device.

Reactions: BarryH_GEG

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
At least that's the impression samsung puts off

I agree. Add to the business practice of forcing people to buy new devices to get the latest OS and/or Samsung features that they couldn't have possibly created a more complex s/w eco-system for they themselves to maintain. They release a slew of devices back-to-back in hopes that some "hit" and sell in droves. In the wake of that strategy are hundreds of devices, in Wi-Fi, 3G, and LTE, each with regionalized s/w.

Using the 12.2" tablets, with and without S Pen, as an example, there are probably hundreds of s/w versions to support. So business practices aside rolling out a world-wide update to a single tablet line becomes a nightmarish process. They did it to themselves and it's going to bite them in the ass some day. As an example, I'd normally be first-in-line for the Note 4. As it stands, my N3 and N10.1-14 have pretty common s/w between them which makes bouncing and sharing between them pretty easy. I'm not getting a Note 4 because the odds of my N10.1-14 every being common with it s/w wise is a million to one. And performance wise there's nothing wrong with either of them. Maybe if there's a N10.1-15 that's common with the Note 4 I'll get both but unlike in the past where there were huge gains to be had in moving to Samsung's "next big thing" there really aren't anymore. And with the high-end in tablets and smartphones maturing people thinking like I do will kill Samsung's earnings. Love the products; particularly the Note-series. Becoming less and less a fan of the company every day.

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Say it ain't so Barry . . . I'm waiting on the Note 4 to switch to from my Nexus 4. You really think I may have issues between the two (Note 4 and my Note Pro?). Truth be told other than having synced dropsync folders for Lecturenotes I'm not entering into the Note 4 with the expectation of sharing things between the two devices. BTW I have no intention of ever getting rid of the nexus 4 at this time LOL. I'll switch between the two phones.

dodo99x

Apr 2, 2011
Ottawa

Well I remain hopeful that the update will occur. However, I don't understand the need to be on the very bleeding edge of Android versions. With my experience with my Nexus 7, Nexus 10 and Nexus 5, they usually introduce more bugs than they fix.

As long as Samsung fixes any current bugs in 4.4.2, my device can keep chugging along with this version. Going to 5.0 might open up a can of worms that may make the device much less stable and a pain to use.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...l-5-0-release-date-when-can-i-get-it--1257804

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Say it ain't so Barry . . . I'm waiting on the Note 4 to switch to from my Nexus 4. You really think I may have issues between the two (Note 4 and my Note Pro?). Truth be told other than having synced dropsync folders for Lecturenotes I'm not entering into the Note 4 with the expectation of sharing things between the two devices. BTW I have no intention of ever getting rid of the nexus 4 at this time LOL. I'll switch between the two phones.

Everything will probably still be compatible but newer versions (EG: S Note, My Files, TW) will have different interfaces, menus, and controls. I don't want (personally) to have to jump between different products that more than likely do the same thing. My N3 and N10.1-14 still have menu capacitive buttons which I'm use to. Having one device with a task capacitive button and the other a menu button would drive me crazy. I'm a productivity user and having to think about doing the same thing differently across my devices would drive me nuts. So I'll upgrade in pairs or not at all. Think about the N10.1-14, Pro's, and S'. With the exception of M-UX being omitted from the N10.1-14, they all are functionally equivalent. Yet all are running different versions of TW with different (by age) versions of stock s/w. What bothers me may not bother others but intentionally leaving older (but still current) devices behind feature wise doesn't strike me as a way of retaining customers. How many people will ditch a $600ish tablet and buy a new one just to get a newer version of s/w? Especially when 95% of what both do is common? Samsung's logic baffles me some times.

Adam013s

Aug 24, 2014
tilburg
Anyone figured out rooting

anyone figured out rooting i got this device 1 week ago cause i liked my note 3 allot but can i use the same method to root it like my note 3 i used towelroot for my note will this also work on my pro 12.2:good:

angus454

Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
Is it dead? far from it. If anything, the recent and continued price drops are building the market share for this device. I ddon't think it has even begun to come close to what it's eventual user installed base is going to be. Dont let the lack of Samsung updates worry you :)

bbro84

Aug 17, 2011
DFW
Not a chance

This thing is way too powerful and just plain awesome to be dead. The bloat ware is a resource hog but fix that and you have one of the best devices I have been lucky enough to call myself an owner of.

There are always updates that we want but what issues are you facing specifically that have you waiting for an update. Just curious because mine has really been impressive from day one, and i have owned all 3 note phones and now the Pro so I wasn't expecting to be too impressed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung's 4.4.2 is a pretty mature build, no big updates are needed. We probably won't see an update till Android L (5.0?) rolls out. And yes all Exynos 5420 devices will get upgraded. My suggestion is to stop worrying about updates and just enjoy your device. :)

Thank goodness the software and hardware these days is better than the first couple of generations of tablets.

This is why I have never believed the rumors of the Nexus line being discontinued. I can't imagine android development continuing without a vanilla device build out in the wild unencumbered by all of the bull$h!t antics of not wanting the updates of software on one device to affect the initial sales of a new one. At least that's the impression samsung puts off; for all I know there's only a couple of developers on staff and they aren't allowed to develop for anything BUT the next device.