[STOCK][C69XX][4.3] Update to 14.2.A.0.290 [Root & XZDR][LB/UB][16/1/2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

[NUT]

attachment.php

Requirements:

Special features:

In the following guide I suggest you use an external SDCard but that's just good practice, you can use your internal storage or even an USB OTG storage device in TWRP if you like to install, that's no problem!... If you are modding and the likes, best is to have an external sdcard, just for safeties sake.

If you are unable to download torrent files directly, have http://zbigz.com/ do it for you!

How to update to 14.2.A.0.290:
  1. If you attempted this before, make sure you delete XZDR.prop from the XZDualRecovery folder to make sure it will not cause a bootloop.
  2. Files:Save them somewhere you remember;
  3. Put 'C69XX_14.2.A.0.290.flashable.zip' on (the external) SDcard1;
  4. Put 'C69XX_14.2.A.0.290_Stripped.ftf' inside the Flashtool/firmwares folder;
  5. Create a backup of your phone in TWRP and don't forget to backup the contents of 'SDCard' (the internal storage!);
  6. Install XZDualRecovery 2.7.74 or newer from PC.
  7. In TWRP -> Wipe -> advanced Wipe Tick/Check:
    1. Dalvik-Cache
    2. System
    3. Cache
    4. Data
    Then 'Swipe to Right' to make it happen and go back to the TWRP home screen;
  8. Flash 'C69XX_14.2.A.0.290.flashable.zip' in TWRP (if you have an old C6903 flashable package, be sure to flash the patch from post 2 now!)
    NOTE: do not reboot but go back to the main menu, then go to reboot->power off;
  9. Flash everything in 'C69XX_14.2.A.0.290_Stripped.ftf';
  10. Now reboot to system;
  11. Once you get to the language select screen, reboot to TWRP (no need to finish the guide);
  12. Restore the backup of DATA only, when done go back to the TWRP home screen;
  13. In TWRP -> Wipe -> advanced Wipe Tick/Check Dalvik-cache;
  14. Reboot to system.

The first boot will be slow and after a long wait at the boot animation you will see Android start optimizing the apps on your phone.

Video Guide:
NOTE: This guide is based on an older guide which has since been updated a few times, but it will give you a general idea.

Enjoy! :laugh:

Known XZDualRecovery Issues:
Busybox Updater/Installer: If you have XZDualRecovery installed, un-install any Busybox updating app/tool as most if not all of them will install a version of busybox which does not support the lzma compression applets XZDualRecovery depends on. The version installed together with XZDualRecovery is very stable and I have yet to hear anyone complain about it's stability.

How to report errors:
Please, before shouting out "It doesn't work!!1!" or "I lost root!" or even "My phone reboots when remounting /system RW!!" try the following:
  • Restore any JB 4.2.2 FTF using any means you are familiar with so you can try again.
  • Root it using any means you are familiar with.
  • Install XZDualRecovery and then try to update again using TWRP.
  • If it still fails something from there on: LOGS!!.
    NOTE: The important ones can be found in /cache/recovery and in /sdcard1/XZDualRecovery, pack them up and send them to me or attach them to your bug report.

Thank you :)

XDA:DevDB Information
[STOCK][C69XX][4.3] Update to 14.2.A.0.290 [Root & XZDR][LB/UB][16/1/2014], a ROM for the Sony Xperia Z1

Contributors
[NUT]
ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: 14.1.G.1.534 and 14.1.G.2.257
Based On: STOCK

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 16/1/2014
Beta Release Date: 2014-01-16

Created 2013-12-19
Last Updated 2014-01-16

Last edited:

[NUT]

ROM Patches

For those who have this ROM installed or downloaded with the mutilated root and 40 second reboot bug in recovery or have it installed with a semi-root situation:

C6903_14.2.A.0.290.patch.zip (8.9MB)

Follow the ROM flash guide in the OP and flash the patch right after flashing the ROM zip.

This will patch your ROM release to have XZDualRecovery BETA (2.7.71). It will patch/fix root as well. It should be small enough to quickly flash using TWRP, as long as you do it right after entering it.

Last edited:

[NUT]

FAQ & Tips and Tricks

Easy switching between locked and unlocked bootloader states!
NOTE: USE TWRP ONLY for this guide.
NOTE 2: You NEED to have XZDualRecovery 2.7.43 or higher to make this work.
  • Create a backup, including the Trim Area (TA!)
  • Unlock your bootloader
  • Restore backup without TA
  • Create a new backup of your UNLOCKED TA
  • Restore the previous TA backup to relock your phone.

Done :good:

Now you can switch between locked and unlocked bootloaders quick and painless: no more system wipes and you can basically do whatever you want :D

How to enable init.d support:
Open a filemanager app and navigate to the location where the XZDualRecovery folder is located and go in to it. Open XZDR.prop as a text file and set dr.initd.active to true.

NOTE: For this guide ROM it means the init.d script called 99SuperSUDaemon will kick in to action, so it's best to disable (by setting chmod 644) /system/etc/install-recovery.sh for the time being or to clear it's contents.

Done :)

Downgrading to a 4.2 ROM:
Download C6903_14.1.G.1.534_[NUT].ftf (Bittorrent: 770MB) and flash it using FlashTool. I've also added the FTF to the downloads page on the DevDB tab, this will allow straight downloads as well.

This FTF will allow you to downgrade to .534 without loss of your IMEI :good:

Thanks to @mharckk and @MohammadAG for the workaround which contributed to the creation of this FTF.

Last edited:

DAddYE

Nov 9, 2010
Big hugs man. Thanks. Much appreciated!!!

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

[NUT]

The root is not working on 4.3 until now. Is it? Even after flashing supersu on a unlocked bootloader we get partially rooted system partition. The busybox is not working either.

On 4.3 SuperSU is to be daemonized, which means it gets turned in to a service. This ROM does that.

On the 4.3 Journalists & Commercial release for the XZ and ZL the root method I used is working flawlessly now :) Initially on these releases I made a booboo, which I fixed with an update package. The cause for the need of this fix has been removed before building this package, it should be properly rooted and working OK :)

Remember, Recovery has been integrated, which will work just as well even if root would still bugger out, so then I will find a solution and make it work in the end, if needed :)

Sumedha Kapoor

Aug 29, 2013
Mumbai
ihackers.co.in
On 4.3 SuperSU is to be daemonized, which means it gets turned in to a service. This ROM does that.

On the 4.3 Journalists & Commercial release for the XZ and ZL the root method I used is working flawlessly now :) Initially on these releases I made a booboo, which I fixed with an update package. The cause for the need of this fix has been removed before building this package, it should be properly rooted and working OK :)

Remember, Recovery has been integrated, which will work just as well even if root would still bugger out, so then I will find a solution and make it work in the end, if needed :)

Can you send me a flashable zip with the recovery and this rooting method that you mentioned above? I have a deodexed, zipaligned, rooted, busyboxed, tweaked and debloated purely stock rom. I will see if I could fix the partial root in it. Plus it would be easier for me and others who already have a rom to fix their issues with it. Thanks. :)

DAddYE

Nov 9, 2010
Can you send me a flashable zip with the recovery and this rooting method that you mentioned above? I have a deodexed, zipaligned, rooted, busyboxed, tweaked and debloated purely stock rom. I will see if I could fix the partial root in it. Plus it would be easier for me and others who already have a rom to fix their issues with it. Thanks. :)

+1

[NUT]

Lets see what people's experiences are with the existing package, once confirmed working, I will release the base zip for devs to use :)

Reactions: Nagato Yuki

TheKnux

Sep 28, 2011
Akron
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
Do we have to flash the ftf after flashing the zip or can we just flash the zip? Also, after successfully flashing, do we have to backup TA partition, unlock bootloader, then restore or since Sony fixed it can we just unlock without restoring TA?

[NUT]

Do we have to flash the ftf after flashing the zip or can we just flash the zip? Also, after successfully flashing, do we have to backup TA partition, unlock bootloader, then restore or since Sony fixed it can we just unlock without restoring TA?

It's a stock ROM, so unlocking is not required. But if you had an unlocked bootloader, restoring it first might be wise.

Just stick to the flash order in the guide, that should be fine.

fizfaka

Apr 23, 2010
If i have already updated to official 4.3, do i need to downgrade to 4.2.2, in order to get working recovery then flash your 4.3?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php

Requirements:

Special features:

In the following guide I suggest you use an external SDCard but that's just good practice, you can use your internal storage or even an USB OTG storage device in TWRP if you like to install, that's no problem!... If you are modding and the likes, best is to have an external sdcard, just for safeties sake.

If you are unable to download torrent files directly, have http://zbigz.com/ do it for you!

How to update to 14.2.A.0.290:
    1. If you attempted this before, make sure you delete XZDR.prop from the XZDualRecovery folder to make sure it will not cause a bootloop.
    2. Files:Save them somewhere you remember;
    3. Put 'C69XX_14.2.A.0.290.flashable.zip' on (the external) SDcard1;
    4. Put 'C69XX_14.2.A.0.290_Stripped.ftf' inside the Flashtool/firmwares folder;
    5. Create a backup of your phone in TWRP and don't forget to backup the contents of 'SDCard' (the internal storage!);
    6. Install XZDualRecovery 2.7.74 or newer from PC.
    7. In TWRP -> Wipe -> advanced Wipe Tick/Check:
      1. Dalvik-Cache
      2. System
      3. Cache
      4. Data
      Then 'Swipe to Right' to make it happen and go back to the TWRP home screen;
    8. Flash 'C69XX_14.2.A.0.290.flashable.zip' in TWRP (if you have an old C6903 flashable package, be sure to flash the patch from post 2 now!)
      NOTE: do not reboot but go back to the main menu, then go to reboot->power off;
    9. Flash everything in 'C69XX_14.2.A.0.290_Stripped.ftf';
    10. Now reboot to system;
    11. Once you get to the language select screen, reboot to TWRP (no need to finish the guide);
    12. Restore the backup of DATA only, when done go back to the TWRP home screen;
    13. In TWRP -> Wipe -> advanced Wipe Tick/Check Dalvik-cache;
    14. Reboot to system.

The first boot will be slow and after a long wait at the boot animation you will see Android start optimizing the apps on your phone.

Video Guide:
    NOTE: This guide is based on an older guide which has since been updated a few times, but it will give you a general idea.

Enjoy! :laugh:

Known XZDualRecovery Issues:
    Busybox Updater/Installer: If you have XZDualRecovery installed, un-install any Busybox updating app/tool as most if not all of them will install a version of busybox which does not support the lzma compression applets XZDualRecovery depends on. The version installed together with XZDualRecovery is very stable and I have yet to hear anyone complain about it's stability.

How to report errors:
    Please, before shouting out "It doesn't work!!1!" or "I lost root!" or even "My phone reboots when remounting /system RW!!" try the following:
    • Restore any JB 4.2.2 FTF using any means you are familiar with so you can try again.
    • Root it using any means you are familiar with.
    • Install XZDualRecovery and then try to update again using TWRP.
    • If it still fails something from there on: LOGS!!.
      NOTE: The important ones can be found in /cache/recovery and in /sdcard1/XZDualRecovery, pack them up and send them to me or attach them to your bug report.

Thank you :)

XDA:DevDB Information
    [STOCK][C69XX][4.3] Update to 14.2.A.0.290 [Root & XZDR][LB/UB][16/1/2014], a ROM for the Sony Xperia Z1

Contributors
    [NUT]
    ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: 14.1.G.1.534 and 14.1.G.2.257
    Based On: STOCK

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 16/1/2014
    Beta Release Date: 2014-01-16

Created 2013-12-19
    Last Updated 2014-01-16
    FAQ & Tips and Tricks

Easy switching between locked and unlocked bootloader states!
    NOTE: USE TWRP ONLY for this guide.
    NOTE 2: You NEED to have XZDualRecovery 2.7.43 or higher to make this work.
    • Create a backup, including the Trim Area (TA!)
    • Unlock your bootloader
    • Restore backup without TA
    • Create a new backup of your UNLOCKED TA
    • Restore the previous TA backup to relock your phone.

Done :good:

Now you can switch between locked and unlocked bootloaders quick and painless: no more system wipes and you can basically do whatever you want :D

How to enable init.d support:
    Open a filemanager app and navigate to the location where the XZDualRecovery folder is located and go in to it. Open XZDR.prop as a text file and set dr.initd.active to true.

NOTE: For this guide ROM it means the init.d script called 99SuperSUDaemon will kick in to action, so it's best to disable (by setting chmod 644) /system/etc/install-recovery.sh for the time being or to clear it's contents.

Done :)

Downgrading to a 4.2 ROM:
    Download C6903_14.1.G.1.534_[NUT].ftf (Bittorrent: 770MB) and flash it using FlashTool. I've also added the FTF to the downloads page on the DevDB tab, this will allow straight downloads as well.

This FTF will allow you to downgrade to .534 without loss of your IMEI :good:

Thanks to @mharckk and @MohammadAG for the workaround which contributed to the creation of this FTF.
    ROM Patches

For those who have this ROM installed or downloaded with the mutilated root and 40 second reboot bug in recovery or have it installed with a semi-root situation:

C6903_14.2.A.0.290.patch.zip (8.9MB)

Follow the ROM flash guide in the OP and flash the patch right after flashing the ROM zip.

This will patch your ROM release to have XZDualRecovery BETA (2.7.71). It will patch/fix root as well. It should be small enough to quickly flash using TWRP, as long as you do it right after entering it.
    @funky0308 yes you do :laugh:

I've put my 2 cents in his thread few minutes back.

I'm actually not worried about 'stealing' my code: I gave it to him.

All my work has been meant to go public anyway. I've even started a github.com repo for XZDualRecovery.

It's nice to get credits, it motivates me, but I've never considered it to be mandatory and I never will: Open source is just that.

Open source, always, for ever, free.