JMC: *** Flashing Guide ***

Search This thread

gpf_drizit

Dec 14, 2010
7) Now press POWER + VOL UP in order to enter recovery and let the TAB flash dbdata, it'll reboot and boot into android. (unplug your USB cable because Odin won't recognize it on some systems)

how long does this usualy take? mine's been sitting at "installing muti-CSC" for about 5 min now.

EDIT:
it gets better: I gave up and rebooted, and it didn't work, so I tried again with auto reboot disabled, this let me catch it on the first boot and get the CSC updated properly... for some reason none of my apps were wiped so i'm now factory resetting as it was FC city... now on to JMA then JMC, once more into the breach my friends.

Last edited:

bert269

Jul 17, 2007
GB
meettomy.site
this process worked for me.

I'm on the TMobile Tab, original ROM was: JJB.
I first installed JM6, with Odin. I just flashed the Rom (pda) part with repartition selected. In fact, I forgot to select the CSC & modem parts. After the first reboot (with lots of FC's), i flashed the dbdata.
At this stage my CSC and modem did show blank and only PDA showed JM6.
I then flashed JMA, without repartition and after the reboot and boot into recovery, all three entries showed JMA.

Then I followed the instructions just as given, and flashed JMC. Reboot into recovery and it rebuild the dbdata and factory reset once more.

Everything is working fine.
I have JMA, JMC, JMA when I do *#1234#

I'm using an AT&T simcard on this TMO tab and can make calls just fine.
Although I only get Edge, I mostly use the wifi, anyway.

Thanks for the great, detailed process description of how to install JMC - it really helped me a lit and the confidence to flash my tab for the first time.

Bert

alexnoalex

Mar 18, 2006
How and where do I find the Dbdata file ?

When I go for step 7 i get the "can´t mount" and "media content failed" messages.

Edit:

I believe this can also be done from recovery.

Actually, once I messed up I could not get to any recovery. I was lucky that I managed to boot Android into some kind of state. So to be on the safe side I'd recommend to do factory reset before any flashing.

pt4audi

Dec 9, 2010
Can I go directly from JM6 to JMC, therefore skipping JMA, or is it better to just do it sequentially?

mauwri37

Oct 26, 2010
Modena,Emilia Romagna Italiy
JMC flash ok its fluid !

I had to reflash the CSC OF jm6 after flash JMC, why do not you impopstava in ITV well, maybe it will be useful to others, very fluid room!

PDA:p1000XXJMC

PHONE:p1000XXJMA

CSC:p1000OXJM6

Last edited:

jstuart83

Dec 11, 2007
Clinton, MS
You are a good man, Monrad!
I followed steps and got my AT&T tab updated.

A word about wiping data: I had my Tab fully set up with original AT&T firmware and then I started installation I got into lots of trouble. Instead of recovery mode it went into blank screen with vertical white line (I suspect it did dbdata update behind it though), then it rebooted and my apps started crashing.
The only way to fix it was to get to setting and do factory reset. After that everything went by the book.

So you may want to clarify that data must be wiped from Android, unless you have some other way.

Thanks again
do you still get the white line after the reboot

Skimi

Jun 29, 2004
Maia City
JMC Test!

May someone please test if JMC still have the Bug of very slow email app when working with Exchange???

Many Thanks

Joao Oliveira

Oct 30, 2006
If you use lcd density changer or similar method to change your galaxy tab lcd density settings, do not install jmc, it will kill your system. Tried flash 3 times everything ok but after trying to reboot using the changed lcd density system freezes withthe vibrating error.
Used roto's version, don't know if its an error from his version, but still be carefull. back to jm6 again. It's too late to try sotck jmc. If someone else is having the same error please report.

BlueBagodah

Nov 20, 2007
Newmarket
Does this process enable the Phone functionality as well as keeping the 3G data functionality?
I have been reading this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=847273
Do they both accomplish the same thing?
I'm using the Bell Canada Galaxy Tab.

Ok I'm going to make a detailed guide of how this worked for me because succeed depends a lot on which firmware you have in your tab. It's a good idea to start with JM6 since you can flash it completely if you have an older firmware or JMA (I guess you won't be able to flash it in the future if a new firmware is released). You won't lose your internal SD Card data but your phone will be factory reset.

1) Download JM6 from HERE
You'll get Odin 1.7 + PIT + PHONE + PDA + CSC.

2) Download JMA from here: HERE

3) Download JMC from here: HERE

4) Start Odin 1.7 and select:
*PIT P1_SMD_MAP.pit
*REPARTITION YES
*AUTO REBOOT YES
*F. RESET TIME YES
*PDA: CODE_P1000XXJM6.tar.md5
*PHONE: MODEM_P1000XXJM6.tar.md5
*CSC: CSC_P1000OXAJM6.tar.md5

5) Put your TAB in download mode: Turn it off, press POWER + VOL DOWN

6) Press start in ODIN and wait until process is completed. Your tab will REBOOT in download mode.

7) Now press POWER + VOL UP in order to enter recovery and let the TAB flash dbdata, it'll reboot and boot into android. (unplug your USB cable because Odin won't recognize it on some systems)

8) Open Odin 1.7 again or press RESET and select:
*PIT: NONE
*REPARTITION NO
*AUTO REBOOT YES
*F. RESET TIME YES
*PDA: JMA.tar (from JMA file obviously)
*PHONE: NONE
*CSC: NONE

9) Repeat 5), 6) and 7)

10) Open Odin 1.7 again or press RESET and select:
*REPARTITION NO
*AUTO REBOOT YES
*F. RESET TIME YES
*PDA: P1000XXJMC_P1000OXAJMC_P1000XXJMA_HOME.tar (from JMC file obviously)

11) Repeat 5), 6) and 7)

I have an AT&T TAB and this process worked for me.

If you need 850 + 1900 you only have to flash MODEM (PHONE button in ODIN) from HERE (modem_bell_i9000.zip) with No PIT, no repartition, no PDA and no CSC.

I hope this helps anybody and sorry about my english :p

EDIT: If for some strage reason you get the !!! --- !!! screen in your tab, don't panic. You can start the whole process again, Odin will detect your phone, it's a download mode anyway.

EDIT2: I always choose to wipe all my data. I use Titanium backup and I can get most of my data back from there. It's better to have a functional tab than a brick full of useless data. Wiping will always be safer.

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Nov 2, 2010
daniel.weck.free.fr
If you use lcd density changer or similar method to change your galaxy tab lcd density settings, do not install jmc, it will kill your system. Tried flash 3 times everything ok but after trying to reboot using the changed lcd density system freezes withthe vibrating error.
Used roto's version, don't know if its an error from his version, but still be carefull. back to jm6 again. It's too late to try sotck jmc. If someone else is having the same error please report.

My LCD density is set to 200 or even sometimes 180 (from the default 240), and I have no problems with Rotohammer's pre-rooted JMC ROM bits.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=10065997#post10065997

Monrad

Nov 23, 2007
You're like me then. I do not even have my Tab yet but my fingers are already so much itching. In the meanwhile I am reading and learning. I am totally new to Samsung but I've had my hands busy for the past year with my Nexus One, so quite confortable playing with rom/kernel/radio world .
P_

I can't wait for custom roms, I'd love to have Cyanongen :p

Monrad, thanks, this is a super post.

Just for me and all the other morons in the world. Can you also please give a basic run through of what you've done. I have the following questions.

1) You have 3 waves of activities in your post: JM6, JMA, JMC. Generally, what is each wave doing?

I flash them that way because of precaution. I've read in other threads that it's better to flash them that way. Maybe you can go from JM6 directly to JMC which makes sense, but I was afraid to fail so I took the slow way. I've tried to flash JMC directly and failed (from JK5). My device was bricked but it was easy to recover from the brick flashing JM6 back.

2) Please would you also explain what the fields in Odin1.7 are for?
*PIT -does this set the partitions on Samsung tab?
*REPARTITION -if PIT file this is automatically selected
*AUTO REBOOT YES -why do I select yes
*F. RESET TIME YES -what's this one for?
*PDA: CODE_P1000XXJM6.tar.md5 -PDA is core PDA firmware?
*PHONE: MODEM_P1000XXJM6.tar.md5 -what does this do? load modem drivers?
*CSC: CSC_P1000OXAJM6.tar.md5 -I'm not sure what CSC stands for and does?

I don't know exactly. PIT must have something to do with boot and partitions on NAND (internal phone memory where OS, boot sector, etc; are located) I guess.
AUTO REBOOT: I select YES because if I don't I have to reset it manually. I don't really think this option makes any difference, because when ODIN finishes the device always reboots into flashing mode again.
F.RESET TIME= Factory Reset? TIME?
PDA: Most of the OS is in there. Applications, sounds, etc.
PHONE: Modem part of the phone. It's what we call "radio" in HTC world. Radio controls phone, GPS, wifi, bluetooth and maybe more.
CSC: If I remember correctly it's the customization package for the ROM. For exmaple, changing this package you'll get different applications in samsung Apps.

3) With regards to getting my dirty hands on the right firmware, when I go to http://www.samfirmware.com/WEBPROTECT-p1000.htm, I look at the latest firmware for Europe. At the bottom of the list are 3 downloads:
a) JM6, b) JMA, c) JMC. What are the differences between these firmwares. I understand that J = 2010, but don't know how to decrypt last two digits.

I know little about this. I know that M has something to do with testing status. And I can only guess about 6, A, C. Maybe it's the version number and nothing else.

4) Which PIT should be used in Step 1 of your sequence? What are the PIT files at the bottom of the page (in Flash Tools Section) of http://www.samfirmware.com/WEBPROTECT-p1000.htm

I used the PIT file provided with Odin package. If you read my first post you'll notice that I'm telling you exactly what PIT file to use: P1_SMD_MAP.pit

I've had bad results (nothing to be scared of) using other PIT files to flash JM6.

5) I bricked my tab. I got it alive again, only by loading the JMA via Odin 1.7. Basically I put my Tab in Download Mode. Started Odin1.7. Used the Eur Pit file (referred to in my Step 4), and then loaded JMA.tar (extracted from JMA file mentioned in my Step 3). With all the check marks checked in Odin. That was it, and my Galaxy Tab rebooted and seems to work totally fine. Why would I do the other steps mentioned in your sequence? What benefit is there?

I put those steps because I think it's a safe way into JMC. If you follow a different way I don't know if you'll benefit at all.

I still have a lot to learn about this tab.

5a) Note when I do *#1234# I get:
PDA: blank
PHONE: P1000XXJMA
CSC: blank
the PDA and CSC show blank....is that why I should first load JM6 and follow your sequence? What functionality do I currently not have because of these blanks?

In the other JMC thread most people are getting PDA and CSC blank. I don't know exactly why that happens. With the method posted here I never had that problem. I also don't know if you are losing functionality. It just feels better to have the version in there :p

Right now I have:
PDA: JMC
PHONE: JK3 (from Samsung I9000)
CSC: JMC

I think rotohammer might have a clue about this blank fields. He really has more knowledge than me in this matter :p

6) A question on rooting my Tab... what are the benefits to doing this?

Some software like Titanium backup requires your device to be rooted. It's the way to get "admin authorization" to do whatever you want with your Android OS. You can start Terminal Emulator and modify system files for example. But you really have to know what you're doing. It's safe to be rooted but it's not safe to modify system files.

Thanks for dealing with my long winded post! I really appreciate what you've done so far.

We're in the same ship here, trying to learn and waiting for the geniuses to relase clockwork recovery to flash custom roms :D

I'm sorry if I couldn't answer exactly what you wanted to know.

Monrad

Nov 23, 2007
You don't need to flash JMA. You can go straight from JM6 to JMC
You can skip oen unnecessary step :)

You probably can, I was a little scared because I had a brick so I took the advice from other threads to flash one by one :eek:

Can i do this on my euro Tab from Denmark?
Im on JM6

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

It should work I guess. I'm using Euro firmware on my American tab :p

Guys

Currently i have

PDA: P1000JPJJ1
PHONE: P1000JXJJ1
CSC: P1000OJPJJ3

Its currently arabic firmware. Can i use this guide & update to this Euro fimrware? I dont need arabic. I am not rooted as well. Will this guide work for me?

That's a good one. One user asked me if you could go directly from a very old firmware to JM6.

I ***THINK*** you could go directly to JM6 following my instructions but I can't be sure. If I was you I don't know If I'd do it. In my case I'd try because I'm a bit kamikaze myself and because I think flashing JM6 the way I described in the first post is overwriting whatever you had in there. But I could be wrong.

i have a problem, all ok till JM6
and tab after start fine
but for JMA or JMC no dbdata in recovery
help me (for now i'm back to JM6)

Are you flashing only PDA part without without repartition?

Try this: when flashing finishes and your tab reboots, press power button. When screen goes off press VOL UP button while pressing power button. In that step dbdata is flashed to the phone. It's a very important step. You should see text in recovery console and device should reboot itself again.

Good luck!!

Skimi

Jun 29, 2004
Maia City
May someone please test if JMC still have the Bug of very slow email app when working with Exchange???

Many Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    READ BEFORE YOU FLASH: THIS FIRMWARE HAS A PROTECTED BOOTLOADER THAT WILL PREVENT YOU FROM FLASHING SAMSUNG OFFICIAL FIRMWARE.

MORE INFO HERE

I don't know if this process actually flash boot and spl because JM6 doesn't seem to have them, but you're on your own and I don't recommend you to do it.

Ok I'm going to make a detailed guide of how this worked for me because succeed depends a lot on which firmware you have in your tab. It's a good idea to start with JM6 since you can flash it completely if you have an older firmware or JMA (I guess you won't be able to flash it in the future if a new firmware is released). You won't lose your internal SD Card data but your phone will be factory reset.

1) Download JM6 from HERE
    You'll get Odin 1.7 + PIT + PHONE + PDA + CSC.

2) Download JMA from here: HERE

3) Download JMC from here: HERE

4) Start Odin 1.7 and select:
    *PIT P1_SMD_MAP.pit
    *REPARTITION YES
    *AUTO REBOOT YES
    *F. RESET TIME YES
    *PDA: CODE_P1000XXJM6.tar.md5
    *PHONE: MODEM_P1000XXJM6.tar.md5
    *CSC: CSC_P1000OXAJM6.tar.md5

5) Put your TAB in download mode: Turn it off, press POWER + VOL DOWN

6) Press start in ODIN and wait until process is completed. Your tab will REBOOT in download mode.

7) Now press POWER + VOL UP and when you see SAMSUNG logo RELEASE POWER BUT KEEP PRESSING VOL UP in order to enter recovery and let the TAB flash dbdata, it'll reboot and boot into android. (unplug your USB cable because Odin won't recognize it on some systems)

8) Open Odin 1.7 again or press RESET and select:
    *REPARTITION NO
    *AUTO REBOOT YES
    *F. RESET TIME YES
    *PDA: JMA.tar (from JMA file obviously)

9) Repeat 5), 6) and 7)

10) Open Odin 1.7 again or press RESET and select:
    *REPARTITION NO
    *AUTO REBOOT YES
    *F. RESET TIME YES
    *PDA: P1000XXJMC_P1000OXAJMC_P1000XXJMA_HOME.tar (from JMC file obviously)

11) Repeat 5), 6) and 7)

I have an AT&T TAB and this process worked for me.

If you need 850 + 1900 you only have to flash MODEM (PHONE button in ODIN) from HERE (modem_bell_i9000.zip) with No PIT, no repartition, no PDA and no CSC.

I hope this helps anybody and sorry about my english :p

EDIT: If for some strage reason you get the !!! --- !!! screen in your tab, don't panic. You can start the whole process again, Odin will detect your phone, it's a download mode anyway.

EDIT2: I always choose to wipe all my data. I use Titanium backup and I can get most of my data back from there. It's better to have a functional tab than a brick full of useless data. Wiping will always be safer.

EDIT3: Made some modifications to step 7. What you need to do is to enter recovery and that's it. It wasn't clear. Now I think you'll get it right. I didn't test it without step 7 but some people seems to be doing well without doing step 7. Maybe device is entering recovery automatically and flashing dbdata on its own (this is to be expected but sometimes it just doesn't happen).
    What about rooting the device before you flash...?

I could root my device with z4root or superoneclick.

Working great!!! However, I just didn't do step 7 in any of the 3 updates. What exactly do you mean in step 7? Which of the 4 options should I choose in Step 7?
    Thanks

When flashing ends your device should install dbdata in recovery mode. Maybe with this procedure dbdata is flashed automatically when flashing JM6 at the beginning it's not necessary to do it manually.

If dbdata is not flashed you will not be able to boot android. Your device should display something like this when that happens (in recovery mode):

E:copy_dbdata_media:cant mount DBDATA: copy default media conent failed.

But I guess you're ok :)

Just ignore step 7 if your device entered recovery mode automatically after flashing ended.