[INFO] Mali-400MP GPU vs Adreno 220 GPU

Search This thread

Trekest

Sep 9, 2009
Strange that the GS2 blows the Sensation out of the water on every graphics benchmark test in that case, and in particular the recently released NenaMark 2.

Let me start by saying - yes, I agree there's something fishy going on with the Sensation - it doesn't utilize its resources very well and I do hope this will be fixed with a software update.

I'll take the Nenamark scores with a pinch of salt - looking at the S2 page on Nena2 shows how favored it is by overclockers.

And before you start shouting at me - yes, I did see that the Sensation's highest score is lower than the S2's lowest score. But I still maintain my opinion that this is just a resource handling problem, not the lack of them.

And to correct the one above me who said that the Mali is quad core, I'll quote someone smarter than me:
MALI-400 has only a single vertex processor regardless of the number of cores. With a quad-core it would still have a single vertex processor, but 4 fragment processors.
If I understood correctly, then it's a multi-threaded single core layout (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Why did I write all that? Maybe to feel better about buying it (not that I need to :cool:), maybe just to stop the trend of mourning the Sensation even before its official release (stop shouting! official worldwide release), maybe just to blow off some steam from this crappy day.

Take it as you will :rolleyes:

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
And before you start shouting at me - yes, I did see that the Sensation's highest score is lower than the S2's lowest score. But I still maintain my opinion that this is just a resource handling problem, not the lack of them.

And to correct the one above me who said that the Mali is quad core, I'll quote someone smarter than me:

If I understood correctly, then it's a multi-threaded single core layout (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Why did I write all that? Maybe to feel better about buying it (not that I need to :cool:), maybe just to stop the trend of mourning the Sensation even before its official release (stop shouting! official worldwide release), maybe just to blow off some steam from this crappy day.

Take it as you will :rolleyes:

Yes... it seems that its not 4 physical cores...

But also... If it is truly a resource managing issue then this is very disappointing.

We all know HTC makes better stock roms then Samsung. So TBH I HIGHLY doubt its a resource management issue.

To all who says Andreno 220 is better then Mali 400... LOL.

supersilko

Feb 26, 2010
its not that much of a difference between these phone but Im going with HTC because of the quality its offering. I know its a little bit slower and drain more battery, I got chargers everywhere I go.

It always has been Quality VS Performance, too hard to get both because it would cost too much money for them to give you both and not many people would be able to afford a $700+ phone

Mafiatounes

I don't know why everybody is shouting that mali 400 is bad my Sgs 2 is clearly faster, smoother than my friends sensation in real life, further mine also plays more video codecs, ok game developpers don't use the standard open gl 2.0 but this will change (is changing), furthermore adreno 220 is not a bad gpu it has more support due to compatibility with games made for 200 & 205.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 2 using Tapatalk Pro

jrwingate6

Aug 13, 2009
Charm City
I have been debating between the Sensation and Galaxy S II for a couple months now. I don't game that much but I do game sometimes. The only 2 games I play on a regular basis is Home Run Battle 3D and Angry Birds so there the only 2 that is important to me. Does anyone know if they run on the Mali?

This past week has been a huge let down for me regarding the Sensation due to all of the video reviews I've been seeing with UI and browser lag. I love the looks of it and theres not doubt it looks better made than the SGSII from the outside. I'll take aluminum over plastic any day of the week.

In the end, I care about power over build quality (as long as the lesser of the two isn't a total POS in the build department) but after seeing video after video of each device it is obvious that the SGSII is more powerful which has been confirmed by many reputable reviewers such as Miriam and Vlad from Engadget. I think HTC really screwed up by using the A8 architecture instead of the A9. That would have surely made the Sensation move.

In the end, I currently have a G2X and I'm not in any rush. Maybe I'll sit back and see if a software update helps the Sensation but I refuse to give up my non lagging G2X for something that appears to be less powerful from what I see in the videos.

ph0b0z

Jan 13, 2010
near Cologne
In the end, I currently have a G2X and I'm not in any rush. Maybe I'll sit back and see if a software update helps the Sensation but I refuse to give up my non lagging G2X for something that appears to be less powerful from what I see in the videos.

It's a little OT but: I think about getting a Optimus 2X (since the SGS2/Sensation is a little too expensive) but what really annoys me by watching one Youtube-Video after another.. the browser performance! i'm really interested if a "simple" Gingerbread update will help the Tegra2 phones since i don't see a real advantage in this case in comparison to the Nexus/Galaxy S generation?

And i read that the Optimus 2x can't handle 720p flash video, while the SGS2 does 1080p without problems?

i'm really interested in the reasons for that, and if tegra2 can be helped by better software/drivers/flash..

bong4316

May 14, 2010
Sgs2 is v-sync limited

The benchmarks showing the sgs2 being slower doesnt take into consideration that The Sgs2 like the original galaxy s is framecapped at a little less than 60 fps
because of v-synch. 60hz which is the natural vsynch rate of LCDs.
Should samsung remove the frame cap then there could be a fair comparison.

As mentioned earlier the mali 400 gpu is capable of texture compresion and is in fact fully opengl compliant.
Nvidia and PowerVr use their own proprietary texture compression routines which is why some gameloft games had to be rewritten a bit to accomodate the mali 400.

Its just how it handles alpha transparencies which isnt its fault but opengl es2
standard, which is also a reason why some games had to be modified a bit to factor in the mali 400 since most games are optimized for powervr, qualcoom snapdaragon and nvidia tegra.
Fear not since gameloft and other dvelopers are working on this issue they are just going to add code.

However its when playing 1080p Flash youll see that the sgs2 is doing it smoothly
while the sensation has lag when even just loading a flash heavy page.
There are numerous youtube videos showing this and i also saw this in person
when we compared a friends sgs2 to a sensation in loading youtube, engadget website, played flash games etc.

To make it even we used the same wifi source for both phones and turned off 3g, turned off all widgets , any app, both were optimized to run only the apps we tested like flash in browser, games etc.

The Sgs2 was really a dream to run.
The sensation was only laggy subjectively when both phones were side by side to be fair.
If the Sgs2 wasnt by its side you'd say the sensation was smooth also.
However the sensation just doesnt play 1080p flash very well its obvious.
The Sgs2 was very smooth with 1080p flash with just a few dropped frames from time to time which i think is due to wifi network congestion in the area we tested.

If only the sgs2 wasnt so expensive.

brusko1972

May 3, 2008
Brampton
Actually, ever since the update to 2.3.4, Sensation can play 1080p flash smoothly without hiccups. I think the adreno 220 is very capable if supported and optimized properly.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

http://gpubench.appspot.com/top/by-phone/version-1

sensation is just 3000 scores lower and it's because of it's higher res.
otherwise it would have been outperform every device in competition....

z710e score higher than z710a. Why is that? they are exactly the same phone except for the umts/HSPA bands

-juanito-

Oct 22, 2010
i have htc Sensation..i think Mali-400 is more fasrer than Adreno 220 !!!

i played Fruit Ninja Crazy HD (arcade mide hack) on both sensation and SGS2...on SGS2 it's more faster and smoother than Sensation!! even with sensation over clocked CPU 1.7GHz..GPU overclocked from 260MHz to 320MHz

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk

IRIE4IPIER

Feb 25, 2009
Mali-400 MP is a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) developed by ARM in 2008. Mali-400 MP supports a wide range of use from mobile user interfaces to smartbooks, HDTV and mobile gaming. Adreno 220 is a GPU developed by Qualcomm in 2011 and it is a component of the MSM8260 / MSM8660 SoC (System-on-Chip) powering the upcoming HTC EVO 3D, HTC Pyramid and Palm’s TouchPad tablets.

Mali™-400 MP

Mali™-400 MP is the world’s first OpenGL ES 2.0 conformant multi-core GPU. It provides support for vector graphics through OpenVG 1.1 and 3D graphics through OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0, thus provides a complete graphics acceleration platform based on open standards. Mali-400 MP is scalable from 1 to 4 cores. It also provides the AMBA® AXI interface industry standard, which makes the integration of Mali-400 MP into SoC designs straight-forward. This also provides a well-defined interface for connecting Mali-400 MP to other bus architectures. Further, Mali-400 MP has a fully programmable architecture that provides high performance support for both shader-based and fixed-function graphics APIs. Mali-400 MP has a single driver stack for all multi-core configurations, which simplifies application porting, system integration and maintenance. Features provided by Mali-400 MP includes advanced tile-based deferred rendering and local buffering of intermediate pixel states that reduces memory bandwidth overhead and power consumption, efficient alpha blending of multiple layers in hardware and Full Scene Anti-Aliasing (FSAA) using rotated grid multi sampling that improves the graphics quality and performance.

Adreno 220

In 2011 Qualcomm introduced Adreno 220 GPU and it is a component of their MSM8260 /MSM8660 SoC. Adreno 220 supports console-quality 3D graphics and high-end effects such as vertex skinning, full-screen post-processing shader effects, dynamic lighting with full-screen alpha blending, real-time cloth simulation, advanced shader effects like dynamic shadows, god rays, bump mapping, reflections, etc and 3D animated textures. Adreno 220 GPU also claims that it can process 88 million triangles per second and offers twice the processing power of its predecessor Adreno 205. Further, Adreno 220 GPU claims to boost the performance up to a level that is competitive with console gaming systems. Also, Adreno 220 GPU will allow running games, UI, navigation apps and web browser in largest display sizes with lowest power levels.

Difference Between The Two

Difference between Mali-400MP GPU and Adreno 220 GPU
Based on a research done by Qualcomm using an average of Industry benchmarks composed of Neocore, GLBenchmark, 3DMM and Nenamark, they claim that Adreno 220 GPU in Qualcomm’s dual-core Snapdragon MSM8660 offers twice the performance of the GPU in other leading dual-core ARM9-based chips. Also, a team known as Anandtech has done several tests on Adreno 220 GPU. One of them was the GLBenchmark 2.0, which records the performance of OpenGL ES 2.0 compatible devices such as Mali™-400 MP using two long suites that include a combination of different effects such as direct lighting, bump, environment, radiance mapping, soft shadows, texture based on the use of vertex shader, deferred multi-pass rendering, texture noise, etc. and the test showed that Adreno 220 GPU was 2.2 times faster than the other existing devices such as Mali-400 MP GPU.

What do you guys think of this??.... I've been with HTC since they started doing Android... and I have to say android has come along way and so has the hardware....

So what seems to be the problem on the SGH-T989? Why are there o many micro studders throughout the OS. Gaming is where it shines, but navigating through 3rd party launchers like ADW EX feels really choppy, id it bad coding on Samsungs part, because like I said, in certain areas on this phone, you feel the power coming through the glass, seems its not taken advantaged enough. Thoughts?

silvercats

Sep 1, 2012
These are pretty inaccurate as there are 3 Mali-400MP GPUs ! this is bull****. There are 1 core,2 and 4 cores versions and they haven't mention which one clearly

gefilus

Nov 4, 2011
kuldiga
I have sensation and note 2. I can say andreno 220 is good gpu mali is faster on games on my note , some heavy grafic games runs totaly smooth on note , but on sensation i see frame drops even if i overclock it, but in gpu benchmarks i see not so big difference like 10 fps from quad gpu to single core gpu.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Hype As Fruck

Sep 26, 2012
Capital District, NY
I have sensation and note 2. I can say andreno 220 is good gpu mali is faster on games on my note , some heavy grafic games runs totaly smooth on note , but on sensation i see frame drops even if i overclock it, but in gpu benchmarks i see not so big difference like 10 fps from quad gpu to single core gpu.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

I have an S2 and a Sensation. I feel more lag with Touchwiz honestly. IDK why but Touchwiz is terrible with memory management as opposed to Sense. I'm honestly saying WTF everyday with this phone and kicking myself in the ass for not buying this phone initially.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

DankoFGL

Jan 13, 2012
Caracas
Actually I have tested more cellphones side to side to my sensation, tegra 2 LG g2x, Mali 400 galaxy s2 I777, galaxy s3 exynos version...

On my g2x I have seen frame drops playing almost every single game, even arcane legends on heavy fights, in the sensation never lags in the same places needing to move more pixels...

In the s2 moves less pixels to, and everything runs smooth nit playing real racing it lags, something that never happens o the sensation

O s3 I haven't tested very heavy games, so I can't tell because both runs equals on market games like dead trigger on the max...

On tablets, nexus is a lot better, in tegra 2 Asus transformer a lot of games lags, I don't know why... Even at 1.6 GHz, in my Mali 400 China tablet... Is good and smooth but it lags sometimes....

Enviado desde mi HTC Sensation Z710e usando Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mali-400 MP is a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) developed by ARM in 2008. Mali-400 MP supports a wide range of use from mobile user interfaces to smartbooks, HDTV and mobile gaming. Adreno 220 is a GPU developed by Qualcomm in 2011 and it is a component of the MSM8260 / MSM8660 SoC (System-on-Chip) powering the upcoming HTC EVO 3D, HTC Pyramid and Palm’s TouchPad tablets.

Mali™-400 MP

Mali™-400 MP is the world’s first OpenGL ES 2.0 conformant multi-core GPU. It provides support for vector graphics through OpenVG 1.1 and 3D graphics through OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0, thus provides a complete graphics acceleration platform based on open standards. Mali-400 MP is scalable from 1 to 4 cores. It also provides the AMBA® AXI interface industry standard, which makes the integration of Mali-400 MP into SoC designs straight-forward. This also provides a well-defined interface for connecting Mali-400 MP to other bus architectures. Further, Mali-400 MP has a fully programmable architecture that provides high performance support for both shader-based and fixed-function graphics APIs. Mali-400 MP has a single driver stack for all multi-core configurations, which simplifies application porting, system integration and maintenance. Features provided by Mali-400 MP includes advanced tile-based deferred rendering and local buffering of intermediate pixel states that reduces memory bandwidth overhead and power consumption, efficient alpha blending of multiple layers in hardware and Full Scene Anti-Aliasing (FSAA) using rotated grid multi sampling that improves the graphics quality and performance.

Adreno 220

In 2011 Qualcomm introduced Adreno 220 GPU and it is a component of their MSM8260 /MSM8660 SoC. Adreno 220 supports console-quality 3D graphics and high-end effects such as vertex skinning, full-screen post-processing shader effects, dynamic lighting with full-screen alpha blending, real-time cloth simulation, advanced shader effects like dynamic shadows, god rays, bump mapping, reflections, etc and 3D animated textures. Adreno 220 GPU also claims that it can process 88 million triangles per second and offers twice the processing power of its predecessor Adreno 205. Further, Adreno 220 GPU claims to boost the performance up to a level that is competitive with console gaming systems. Also, Adreno 220 GPU will allow running games, UI, navigation apps and web browser in largest display sizes with lowest power levels.

Difference Between The Two

Difference between Mali-400MP GPU and Adreno 220 GPU
    Based on a research done by Qualcomm using an average of Industry benchmarks composed of Neocore, GLBenchmark, 3DMM and Nenamark, they claim that Adreno 220 GPU in Qualcomm’s dual-core Snapdragon MSM8660 offers twice the performance of the GPU in other leading dual-core ARM9-based chips. Also, a team known as Anandtech has done several tests on Adreno 220 GPU. One of them was the GLBenchmark 2.0, which records the performance of OpenGL ES 2.0 compatible devices such as Mali™-400 MP using two long suites that include a combination of different effects such as direct lighting, bump, environment, radiance mapping, soft shadows, texture based on the use of vertex shader, deferred multi-pass rendering, texture noise, etc. and the test showed that Adreno 220 GPU was 2.2 times faster than the other existing devices such as Mali-400 MP GPU.

What do you guys think of this??.... I've been with HTC since they started doing Android... and I have to say android has come along way and so has the hardware....
    thanks

thanks, i'be been looking for feedback regarding adreno 220 vs mali 400 GPUs, do you have any link or source to back this up

I am looking forward to buying the sensation, and my only concern is the adreno 220 GPU as and whether it is better, equal, or workse than the Mali 400

If it is better then i'm definitely buying the sensation, if not then i might consider the galaxy s II

Thanks
    i don't know if this video helps but the gpu upscaling and running on a larger screen with higher resolution and not falling back is kind of amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBBMVc9-fuk
    benchmarks

I am neutral on both sides as I used a desire befor and now switching to a SGS2, they all provide good experiences and I respect both companies to make quality products for their customers.

Sure there are many topics in SGS2 forums posted by people having problems with the phone and I am glad that I have a fault free model, however I still enjoy reading "problematic posts" for informative replies and sometimes sharing my ideas, this is what xda suppose to be.

Come on guys, they are both good devices, less flaming and we can work together to make things better :D:D

coming back to the original topic (lol), yes Mali-400 is a strange (possibly BAAAD) choice by samsung and I am expecting adreno 220 to be a better GPU, but let's wait for some more reviews to see how sensational this little baby is.

**edited the post for a more peaceful and productive discussion :p**

plz dont get me wrong guys, i am a happy HTC Desire hd owner, but benchmarks are out for the sensation on another thread, and the gaming performance of the sensation is lower than the SGS II even after adjusting the score for pixel density
    Erm, starting to change my mind now about buying the Sensation. Doesn't seem so sensational now. :eek: