Charging socket flap

Search This thread

samsat

Apr 5, 2007
ex Johannesburg now SoCal
I went to AT&T to try out the S5.
Overall a very nice phone however the one thing that I think will annoy the hell out of me is having to fiddle with that flap every time it's time to charge the phone.
I found it really hard to open and after a few tries I managed to get my finger nail under the slight lip but it was not very comfortable to do.

How are the rest of yo owners finding the handling of this flap?
I will be using a robust case for mine so wireless charging is out for me.

I heard back from both Spigen and Case-Mate who both said that it's unlikely charging would work through their cases and that's assuming the phone will still fit with the slightly larger charging back.

karmuh

Jan 15, 2014
Orange County, NY
Overall a very nice phone however the one thing that I think will annoy the hell out of me is having to fiddle with that flap every time it's time to charge the phone.
I found it really hard to open and after a few tries I managed to get my finger nail under the slight lip but it was not very comfortable to do.

I heard back from both Spigen and Case-Mate who both said that it's unlikely charging would work through their cases and that's assuming the phone will still fit with the slightly larger charging back.

That's the only thing that I find annoying about the S5. I understand it needs to be covered for water/dust resistance, but it's still incredibly annoying. I have short nails (stupid nail-biting habit) so trying to open it is always a chore. I've actually resorted to using a small thumb-tac (lol) to open it and it works perfectly every time.

I'll definitely be looking at wireless charging options once they're readily available. I rarely use a case on my S5, just because I like how it feels in the hand without one, so the different back shouldn't be an issue.

smknutson

Apr 22, 2011
SD, USA
I like knowing that dirt, dust and curious little kid fingers won't be able to affect the port. I have an otterbox that has a decent opening to allow for charging, been using it all day and its around 55% batt, so I'll be okay with the cover.

arse87zx

Dec 11, 2011
I have the spigen tough armor case and I can charge the phone with no problem. It's a minor inconvenience but it's worth having the peace of mind against getting water damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

Reactions: skatin707

Bsmith0731

Jan 15, 2013

I have a case and I can't open the flap without removing the case. I hate it

brivette007

Oct 30, 2010
Akron, OH
I actually like the idea of covering the port, it's just very poorly executed on this phone. I really liked the sliding 'door' on the Captivate. But it's something that I'll learn to get used to.

Reactions: Unhived__Mind

LeKtRiCzzz

Jan 8, 2011
Your probably right. The nice thing is I have the ATT Next plan.

Will they take the phone like that. I thought it had to mint condition to return it. There is a screw under the backplate to take it out I'm hoping you did that at least

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app

Dwolf16

Aug 8, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I tugged it out lol. If they dont, then I'll just do a regular upgrade trade in and pay the remaining value. I'm not worried about it. Also it's convenient to charge.

Chasmodai

May 4, 2011
My wife has been using the S4 Active since her S3 had an unfortunate dunking. The S5 charging cover is much easier to use and and worth the effort if you've ever dealt with dropping the phone into, say, the washing machine.

big samm

Mar 31, 2007
Montreal
I kept the wireless charging pad from my GS4 im just waiting to get that wireless door battery... For now ill just have no choice to open/close the flap which takes 2 secs... I also saw a sview cover wireless charging battery door, a bit more expensive...

Sent from my iPad rMini

rachelm920

Apr 12, 2011
Hartford, CT
Not being "lazy" but I have gel tips on my nails.. therefore opening this door without one of my kids/boyfriend or a thumbtack etc. is impossible for me. My 17-year-old suggested I rip it off but I refused because I want the dust and waterproof to remain.

johnkirchner

Aug 14, 2010
Montana
I think the flap is the unfortunate, necessary evil for the water/dust proofing feature of the phone. I am not a fan of it either but it is what it is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You guys are lazy. It takes, what, half a second to open? Use your index fingernail not your thumbnail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    I have the spigen tough armor case and I can charge the phone with no problem. It's a minor inconvenience but it's worth having the peace of mind against getting water damage.

I actually like the idea of covering the port, it's just very poorly executed on this phone. I really liked the sliding 'door' on the Captivate. But it's something that I'll learn to get used to.
    I keep a spudger tool on my desk from an iphone repair kit...works great.
    ....I pulled that little thing out. I know its not water proof anymore, but ehh i wasn't gonna test it anyways.

You probably made the value of your phone drop so much

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app