[Q] SCH-i605 (Note 2) 4.4.2 update and still root?

Search This thread

mkobella

Apr 27, 2014
Macedonia
I have been searching all over to find any information on this new kitkat update for the Note 2. I haven't found much. I think the main thing I found was Knox 2.0 or whatever. Is it possible, or is anyone working on a way to at least get root back on here? I didn't do the update yet, but it's bugging me. I would like kitkat and I like this phone, but samsung/verizon locking this thing down is driving me nuts. To the point that I want to sell this phone. So yeah, is anyone aware of any information on the 4.4.2 update and the possibilities to root it at least. I don't even care to install ROMS.

Vernox701

May 14, 2008
Nevada
S5 rooted

I have been searching all over to find any information on this new kitkat update for the Note 2. I haven't found much. I think the main thing I found was Knox 2.0 or whatever. Is it possible, or is anyone working on a way to at least get root back on here? I didn't do the update yet, but it's bugging me. I would like kitkat and I like this phone, but samsung/verizon locking this thing down is driving me nuts. To the point that I want to sell this phone. So yeah, is anyone aware of any information on the 4.4.2 update and the possibilities to root it at least. I don't even care to install ROMS.

Galaxy S5 just rooted maybe this will work for Note2 after 4.4.2 update

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53406788&postcount=1

mkobella

Apr 27, 2014
Macedonia
Yeah I'm just not sure I want to let this update go through just to find out it fails and I'm stuck locked down. Is anyone willing to try? Or has tried? I guess I may have to be the first.

dpeck411

Jun 29, 2013
Mkobella I'm in the same boat as you... I've been lurking waiting to see if towel root will work for the 4.4.2 update... I'm on 4.3 and not going to lose my root... If you check it out please report back... It would be awesome if someone who took the kit Kat update could try it out

Vernox701

May 14, 2008
Nevada

mkobella

Apr 27, 2014
Macedonia
Yeah this is unfortunate. I would try it if I could flash back to 4.3. Has anyone attempted that? I would gladly chip in and help with this, but I'm new and don't know much about rooting and what not. If there are people working on it I would like to find them.

mkobella

Apr 27, 2014
Macedonia
So... I can confirm that this root does not work for the VZW Galaxy note II running the latest update 4.4.2 (ND7). I tried it several times. Not sure if I am doing anything wrong, but from what I gathered, its pretty straight forward. Just run the app. Also, I can tell you that once you download the OTA you WILL NOT be able to go back to a previous version. I tried to Odin back to MJ9 4.3 and that failed. So, essentially, once you do the kitkat update, you're screwed, and stuck. I can't root, can't go back now. Hopefully someone else can figure this out. Or chime in?

godbob

Dec 6, 2007
Please try these steps: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2784138

Rooted wife's S4. Ran towelroot. Tried the play store supersu but it couldn't install su binaries so I thought it wasn't rooted until I tried an app that needed root. It got root via supersu even tho it kept complaining about binaries. I then followed the steps in that post and the phone is now rooted with safestrap.

Also try app called root checker from play store.

mkobella

Apr 27, 2014
Macedonia
Towel root does not work. The phone just reboots almost immediately after pressing make it ra1n. Once it boots back up I have checked with root checker. I am not root. Tried it several times. It appears that the exploit gets past the enforce SELinux but for some reason it doesn't on this phone. Or maybe it's Knox that is knocking it down and rebooting the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

bodyky

Jan 21, 2011
Towel root does not work. The phone just reboots almost immediately after pressing make it ra1n. Once it boots back up I have checked with root checker. I am not root. Tried it several times. It appears that the exploit gets past the enforce SELinux but for some reason it doesn't on this phone. Or maybe it's Knox that is knocking it down and rebooting the phone.

doesn't work with mine either

Matttrix

May 18, 2011
after reading the thread on towel with the drastic high usage is disappointing. Im seeing now where someone suggested puttting SuperSU on before the the towel exploit .. however it questionable. RIght now most talk seems to steam from shutting off knox which seems to be the issue. :eek:

Reactions: RobertVanHagar

mkobella

Apr 27, 2014
Macedonia
Unfortunately putting supersu on before you use the towel exploit does nothing. Supersu needs root in order to run or do anything. And even so. I ran the exploit several times. First time with with supersu. Second time with out. Then I reinstalled the latest and ran it again. Still nothing. Phone just reboots and is unrooted. Also, you can't disable Knox with out root. Whether that be from supersu disabling it or freezing and/or uninstalling Knox files. You need root in order to do these things. I ended up emailing geohot a few days ago about it, but he never got back to me. Like I said I am willing to try things and help on a project. But, I am no programmer.

gerland

Jan 24, 2012
jerome
OnePlus 8
No root eiter

Unfortunately putting supersu on before you use the towel exploit does nothing. Supersu needs root in order to run or do anything. And even so. I ran the exploit several times. First time with with supersu. Second time with out. Then I reinstalled the latest and ran it again. Still nothing. Phone just reboots and is unrooted. Also, you can't disable Knox with out root. Whether that be from supersu disabling it or freezing and/or uninstalling Knox files. You need root in order to do these things. I ended up emailing geohot a few days ago about it, but he never got back to me. Like I said I am willing to try things and help on a project. But, I am no programmer.
N2 VZW
I too am in this boat! have tried EVERY possible way too get towel too work on my N2 VZW but nada!. I also emaled him and G+ him but NO response?, So i think we are left out!!

mkobella

Apr 27, 2014
Macedonia
I guess we are left out. I'm sick of Verizon and Samsung locking us down! Well I'm not giving up. I keep looking and trying. Hopefully someone else comes on here and helps out.

Android_Fr3ak

Dec 2, 2012
Hey everyone. I am in the same boat. I just want to root because I can't save anything to my SD card anymore. If anyone has a fix please let us know!!

Thanks!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

S

simple_fear85

It has nothing to do with Verizon. It's all samsung

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Free mobile app

mkobella

Apr 27, 2014
Macedonia
Well, I managed to get a log of this Towelroot running via ADB. I emailed Geohot again, and pasted a portion of my log in the email. I'm hoping he responds this time. I will post a snippit of my log on here for anyone to see if they can make sense of it. Hoping Geohot or someone can respond and shed some light on this, as to why this doesn't work for us, and if it can. After the last line the phone just reboots, no root.

http://pastebin.com/P05AuknT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know a lot of you are new. But no one has been given up on, if you have ever rooted a phone, you know not to take official updated software ever if you want to keep root/unlocked bootloader.

Now you all are stuck on a brand spanking new version of the bootloader. (Of which I assume uses the same security that the new S5 has on it) with that being said if/when the s5 gets cracked open you will probably have some good news.

/Most/ of us are still on old bootloaders and have vulnerable systems where we can do/install as we please. When an exploit is found and you can get root back it will be posted in the forums, no need to shame the developers that put in all this work FOR FREE, just be more careful when updating in the future.
    Go For SRS Root.. It also supports this version. Easy method
    Rooted Baby!

I had to root with GhettoRoot 3.0 failed then I used GhettoRoot by networking pro and it worked!!! Woot!
    So i smashed my note 2 (sch-i605) was fairly peed off atfirst. Then a thought occured (which is a miracle in my head) that now ill get a replacement device that will not have 4.4 on it.....YAYYYYY right? NOPE!! I get the device with 4.3....ok i figure i can work with that. Nah not at all. I tried geohot's awsome towelroot-no luck which is a shocker since the device should be supported..then tried every verison of framaroot-again NOPE. Even tried kingo. Now im still rather new to all this. I rooted my wifes att s3 and enjoy that. I rooted my vzw lg g pad 8.3 and like that. But with the g pad i cant do any custom roms which kinda sux. But i want MY phone rooted. Plz...why is nothing working with this phone?? Any idea why its not working when my device should be supported. Any help is always appreciated and teaches me more on this topic. Thankyou in advance.my kernel is april 10th 2014 btw on a VZW Galaxy note 2 (sch-i605) running android 4.3.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

I would say a nexus device of any sort. From what i hear they seem to be the best to modify. I dont know if thats correct but from what ive seen doing research seems a good choice. Im hooked on the galaxy line tho and i figure with patience these AMAZING men and women on xda will always find a solution to all of our android woes. And as for the note 3...Id assume that if the 2 on 4.4 cant be cracked i dont see the 3 being able to be. Atleast with verizon id say. Seems verizon is the devil to Devs. Anyway happy picking friend. Hit the thanx if i helped if you dont mind

There were 2 releases of 4.3 for the sch-i605. MJ9 and ND3. MJ9 is rootable and ND3 isn't. I believe you can use Odin to go back to MJ9 if you are on ND3. Then you can root. However if you accept the 4.4.2 update you can't flash back to 4.3.

Also towelroot won't work because our phone uses a Samsung cpu which the exploit isn't present in the kernel for it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Could you guide me where to find directions on how to unlock the bootloader? I'm running a i605vrufnd7

At present, there's no way to unlock the bootloader on 4.4.2. It looks unlikely that there will ever be a way to unlock the bootloader, but you never know.