[Q] 2000/2100mah USB Car Adaptors ok for G-Note?

Search This thread

Keethos

Jan 15, 2009
Warwickshire
Hi all,

Just a quick question, anyone currently using a 2000 / 2100 mah USB car adaptor with their G-Note?

I currently have a 1000 mah adaptor I believe and after a 2.5 / 3 hour journey, whilst charging, connected to the cars bluetooth and using Co-Pilot, I was down to about 20 / 30 % I think at the end of it.

Will the 2000 / 2100 mah USB car adaptors off ebay be ok to use with the G-Note and will it help keep the phone charged when using the phone as a SatNav?

See link to ebay item

Thanks in advance.

PickleHead

Dec 7, 2010
A DC power supply shouldn't be measured in mAh... Maybe they meant 2100 milliamperes? 2100 milliamps would be 2.1 amps which is the more amperage than my HP Touchpad charger (2 amps) which should be more than enough.

I don't know how much I would trust an ebay seller that can't even get the terms correctly, but if it's a 2.1 amp charger it should be fine.

Keethos

Jan 15, 2009
Warwickshire
Cool, thanks for the heads up PickleHead, I just thought that mAh was the rate of amp flow per hour and didn't realise it was specific for discharge rate of batteries. I'll have another look around.

Just had a look on the back of the USB mains plug for the Note and my Dell Streak and they both have OUTPUT @ 1.0A which is 1 amp right? But a 2.1 amp USB car adaptor should still be fine right? What about 3.1 or even 4.2 amp ones....or are they way too much for the Note?

Last edited:
I've also discovered today what a thirsty little beast the Note is while running satnav. I have a 1 amp car charger with the centre pins shorted together to force the phone to go into "AC Charging" mode, which it does perfectly well. However, over a 20 mile, 30 minute journey I was seeing the battery drop by about 1% per mile (every 90 seconds) whilst charging. That was with CoPilot Live Premium. On the way back I switched to Navfree, with pretty much the same result. I even have CoPilot set to dim the display in between turning announcements. On my old phone that make the difference between a solidly increasing charge and one that struggles to keep up. On the Note it was losing charge even with that feature enabled.

I'm going to need to be finding an alternate charger for the car, so recommendations would be welcome. I can't see a 2 Amp charger being a problem. The Note should take as much as it needs/wants, so long as the charger lets it have the juice it demands.

I would go for the official dock, except I'm told that it won't accommodate the Note whilst protected by a gel skin/case, so the official dock is a non starter for me.

cushcalc

Griffin PowerJolt car charger

I've also discovered today what a thirsty little beast the Note is while running satnav. I have a 1 amp car charger with the centre pins shorted together to force the phone to go into "AC Charging" mode, which it does perfectly well. However, over a 20 mile, 30 minute journey I was seeing the battery drop by about 1% per mile (every 90 seconds) whilst charging. That was with CoPilot Live Premium. On the way back I switched to Navfree, with pretty much the same result. I even have CoPilot set to dim the display in between turning announcements. On my old phone that make the difference between a solidly increasing charge and one that struggles to keep up. On the Note it was losing charge even with that feature enabled.

I'm going to need to be finding an alternate charger for the car, so recommendations would be welcome. I can't see a 2 Amp charger being a problem. The Note should take as much as it needs/wants, so long as the charger lets it have the juice it demands.

I would go for the official dock, except I'm told that it won't accommodate the Note whilst protected by a gel skin/case, so the official dock is a non starter for me.

Griffin PowerJolt Micro for iPad.

Reactions: tdodd

ChodTheWacko

Feb 8, 2011
My Griffen Powerjolt charges the battery while Google navigation is running.
It's possible Google nav is less of a power drain than Navfree. I'll have to try it.

- Frank

alsolh

Dec 19, 2006
I am using the original samsung galaxy tab charger which is rated at 2amps, it works fine with igo, but while using pandora, blurtooth a2dp and igo, the phone charges slowly...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App

htc6500uk

Apr 23, 2009
West Midlands - UK
I hav always used a 2A car adaptor as even the Nexus One was a thirst beast as it played the audio over bluetooth to the car dock that had its own speaker.

It works fine with Navigation/Navfree/Waze and the phone charges rather than discharges slowly with the lower power adaptors. The Official Samsung Car Dock comes with a power adaptor that is only rated at 1Amp.

The adaptor I use was intended for an iPad which needs at least 2A. Some adaptors have ratings that should be taken with a pinch of salt. If you can find one rated for an iPad (the type that plugs into the cigar socket and has a USB socket on it rather than an integral iPad connector) then you can't go wrong.

For those asking, I got my Samsung Car Dock from Handtec (in the UK) at: http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/5881/samsung-galaxy-note-official-vehicle-dock-kit-

dannstarr

Mar 19, 2010
I have the micro usb power cable from the original htc Nexus One car dock. I believe that this provides a 2 amp charging current, and my note charges, albeit slowly while using the phone as a sat nav with google maps

Johnmcl7

Jan 24, 2006
On a similar note about charging (which seems appropriate here), I have the original Galaxy Tab which doesn't allow charging over USB with the standard cable. However I bought an adapter which allows the Tab to charge from a USB port but you can't use it for data, I'm wondering if it's ok to use the same adapter with the Note so it charges quicker off a USB port?

Thanks for the link to the car dock, that looks pretty good

John

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Griffin PowerJolt car charger

Griffin PowerJolt Micro for iPad.