[GUIDE][TETHERING] Clockworkmod Tether via USB

Search This thread
M

Modding.MyMind

CLOCKWORKMOD TETHER via USB for Linux Users

-- This guide is in reference to Ubuntu 13.10 (May work for other versions)
-- These are NOT instructions for Windows users - So please stop here if you do not use Linux

The main reason I had trouble is that the included adb file with the linux Clockworkmod Tether app would not work. Period. Nothing I tried would execute it, ./adb devices for example would return adb: No such file or directory, even after changing it to executable with chmod or with the properties dialog...

-- I have gotten this to work with the help of several posts on various websites and will be reposting some code that helped.
-- This guide has been written while currently tethering from my device. Let's begin....

1. Download and install the Clockworkmod Tether app on to your phone.

2. Open a terminal in Ubuntu (I use Guake Terminal), and enter:
Code:
[B]sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb[/B]

-- This will install the proper adb files on to your system
-- If you have already done this previously in the past, then step 2 is not required.

3. Open a browser E.g. Firefox and search for Clockworkmod Tether. Go the the google play website for the app, scroll down and click to download for the Linux version.

-- Also, you can open up the app on your device and download it from there and then transfer the file over to your computer.

4. You should have a .tgz file now. Extract it to wherever you want. I personally have it kept in a folder called 'development' in my home directory. You should now have a folder named Tether.

5. Open the Tether folder and navigate to the linux sub-dir. Here you should have 2 files: adb and run.sh. Open run.sh with a text editor.

6. Replace the line that looks like:
Code:
[B]../linux/adb start-server[/B]

with
Code:
[B]adb start-server[/B]

7. Save and exit ./run.sh.

8. Now go back to the Tether dir and go to node-tuntap dir. Open adb.js in a text editor.

9. Replace the line that looks like:
Code:
[B]adbPath = '"' + path.join(process.cwd(), adbPath) + '"';[/B]

with
Code:
[B]adbPath = '/usr/bin/adb';[/B]

10. Save and exit adb.js

11. Go back to the terminal and enter:
Code:
[B]sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-android.rules[/B]

then paste in this:
Code:
[B]SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"[/B]

12. Save and exit 70-android.rules.

13. You need to compile CLockwork Tether before running run.sh. To do so, make sure you have the proper dependencies installed like g++ then go to Tether/node dir in terminal and enter:
Code:
[B]./configure[/B]

then enter
Code:
[B]make[/B]

If everything went well, you should be able to run ./run.sh

14. Plug in your phone to the computer via usb, make sure it's not set to mass storage (the disk drive shouldn't be mounted). Start the tether app on your phone.

15. Disconnect from all networks (ethernet, wifi, etc.) on Ubuntu.

16. Back in your Ubuntu terminal change directory to the Tether dir, then enter:
Code:
[B]sudo linux/run.sh[/B]

-- Only if necessary, in another terminal enter:
Code:
sudo ifup tun

Congratulations, if all went well, you should be able to load web pages in your browser, as well as do other things online so long as you have good cell reception.

--- Happy Hunting!!

Last edited:

russellvone

Jan 26, 2013
Gilmer
well, kinda good, but what if? no Wi-Fi or internet connection? then sudo apt-get can not work lol

also, it was much easier when I did it this really seems like the long way around lol

#EDIT

I also got it working with downloading what I needed via phone, then transferring it to the Linux box, without available internet connection to the computer, until I got clockworkmod tether running, of course

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

it is good to see this here though, I repo synced using my 4g lol(so fast)

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

also, what's this? For

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

I bought a usb-to-Ethernet coupler so when I plug it in to use clockworkmod tether it's recognised by the Ubuntu Software Center as a wired connection, without it just running it through usb port 3.0 or 2.0 I could never click the install button I had to Google the apt-get for installing additional add-ons and software

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

ps

I'm running on no sleep the past 46 hours and lots of red bull and rockstar! Sorry if I'm coming off...heh, different..

Last edited:
M

Modding.MyMind

Hahahahaha you need sleep bro

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk

M

Modding.MyMind

I used my cell phone also. I don't have WiFi so there was no choice but to use my device and then transfer everything over, but that should be relatively explanatory for those with no WiFi lol.

russellvone

Jan 26, 2013
Gilmer
I'm working on it, gotta change my usual sleeping habits, my chick got a graveyard shift(second job)

I'm playing Mr mom watching the kiddo and working the watching the kiddo some more, he's git lots of energy

M

Modding.MyMind

The steps I provided literally took me about ten minutes at most. The longest part was compiling using gcc and g++

M

Modding.MyMind

I'm working on it, gotta change my usual sleeping habits, my chick got a graveyard shift(second job)

I'm playing Mr mom watching the kiddo and working the watching the kiddo some more, he's git lots of energy

I know how that is. Prior military lol.

russellvone

Jan 26, 2013
Gilmer
sweet, he's out....my turn

you learn in military service that 4 hours is ask you need per 24, hopefully I'll get 8 tonight

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Marines, 3531, Motor Transport Operator.

hoo rah friend, I've got an extra usb to Ethernet if you want it.

got a multi pack from Amazon for small price, do you have the same issue I did with the software center in ubuntu?

M

Modding.MyMind

sweet, he's out....my turn

you learn in military service that 4 hours is ask you need per 24, hopefully I'll get 8 tonight

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

hoo rah friend, I've got an extra usb to Ethernet if you want it.

got a multi pack from Amazon for small price, do you have the same issue I did with the software center in ubuntu?

Not yet. Seems good so far.

M

Modding.MyMind

I'll take it though lol.

M

Modding.MyMind

you can click 'install' while using clockworkmod tether?

I never could

Probably because I have certain stuff installed. When I first got Ubuntu up and going I was installing all kinds of stuff. Couldn't tell you off the top of my head lol.

mazak23

Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for a superb guide.
I manage it to work on 2 different machines.

Now I am googling and cannot find how to add shortcut on desktop, so user do not need to run it from terminal.
I have a shorcut on desktop now, but after a while window dissapear and script is not running.

There is *internet.desktop file - which is a shortcut I believe. Inside it is:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=true
StartupNotify=true
Icon[en_GB]=gnome-panel-launcher
Name[en_GB]=internet
Exec=/home/marta/Templates/Tether/linux/run.sh
Comment[en_GB]=Run program as root
Name=internet
Comment=Run program as root
Icon=gnome-panel-launcher
GenericName[en_GB]=tethering from usb

I am on 12.04.

Any advice appreciated.

p.s.
just forgot to add that main user is not geek so I want to be simple as possible.

Last edited:
M

Modding.MyMind

Thanks for a superb guide.
I manage it to work on 2 different machines.

Now I am googling and cannot find how to add shortcut on desktop, so user do not need to run it from terminal.
I have a shortcut on desktop now, but after a while window dissapear and script is not running.

There is *internet.desktop file - which is a shortcut I believe. Inside it is:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=true
StartupNotify=true
Icon[en_GB]=gnome-panel-launcher
Name[en_GB]=internet
Exec=/home/marta/Templates/Tether/linux/run.sh
Comment[en_GB]=Run program as root
Name=internet
Comment=Run program as root
Icon=gnome-panel-launcher
GenericName[en_GB]=tethering from usb

I am on 12.04.

Any advice appreciated.

I wish I could help, but I keep my desktop clear in all honesty. I run mostly everything in the terminal. A habit you could say lol. Though, when I get by my computer again I will take a look at what you mentioned. I haven't noticed it personally, but like I said; Using terminal is my preferred method.

ninrocket

Dec 9, 2015
You ROCK!

I know this thread is a bit aged but I had just installed Clockworkmod Tether on my Funtoo linux machine and had the same issues you mentioned.

I basically followed the guide with a few differences.

First off...anyone using Gentoo/Funtoo the best way to grab ADB is to emerge dev-util/android-tools (MUCH smaller install) or dev-util/android-sdk-update-manager (newer ADB but not sure it makes a huge difference)

If you have a problem with the compiling phase make sure to 'eselect python list' and then do 'eselect python set #' and substitute the # with the actual number that contains python 2.7. In my case I did 'eselect python set 1'. After that it should compile fine.

I have tested it and it is working great man! Thanks a lot!

If you read this then Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

mikedempsey182

Apr 27, 2017
Thanks!

This guide worked perfectly on the latest version of Ubuntu 16 as of 2017-04-26
Thank you very much for taking the time to create it.

M_xcore7

Feb 8, 2020
hello here, i have follow all the step but wen i trying to compile with ./configure and Make it show me this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./configure", line 463, in <module>
configure_node(output)
File "./configure", line 370, in configure_node
o['variables']['gcc_version'] = 10 * cc_version[0] + cc_version[1]

how to solve it please???