[Q] New Update

Search This thread

Waiting4MyAndroid

Jul 22, 2012
Long Beach, CA
I am still on ND3 rooted with Wanam Xposed and whole lot of Apps disabled/frozen. Phone runs great and fantastic battery life. Also all OTA related apps/modules are frozen. All that said is there really a need to update to NG3? Does it offer anything new? Still 4.4.2!

jwebster

Sep 16, 2010
Springfield, MO
I just got a notification from AT&T for a new update. Anyone know anything about it?

Long story made short... I fouled up trying to get Alliance loaded through safestrap. Revertedt back to stock ND3. ATT Update ran while I wasn't looking... bye bye root. Now shows NG3- lambda root tool does not work :-/. Busybox gone SU no root no workie. Thinking Odin to downgrade to NC3 (since I can't find ND3 firmware) and start again. Then idea comes to mind ...why not just factory data reset? Will this get me back to ND3.? Any comments are welcome. My foul up was trying to partition slot 1 on SS and run/install Alliance from there. All good with Alliance but No mobile data and when I tried to reflash Alliance to fix.. S5 borked with partition damaged report. Was no 4G issue in build prop? Any/all help and comments are welcome. Thx.

Waiting4MyAndroid

Jul 22, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Long story made short... I fouled up trying to get Alliance loaded through safestrap. Revertedt back to stock ND3. ATT Update ran while I wasn't looking... bye bye root. Now shows NG3- lambda root tool does not work :-/. Busybox gone SU no root no workie. Thinking Odin to downgrade to NC3 (since I can't find ND3 firmware) and start again. Then idea comes to mind ...why not just factory data reset? Will this get me back to ND3.? Any comments are welcome. My foul up was trying to partition slot 1 on SS and run/install Alliance from there. All good with Alliance but No mobile data and when I tried to reflash Alliance to fix.. S5 borked with partition damaged report. Was no 4G issue in build prop? Any/all help and comments are welcome. Thx.

You can still root NG3:
Try this, (Thanks to @muniz_ri)

http://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s5/general/g900and3tong3keeprootota-zip-t2862299

Last edited:
Reactions: jwebster

btort1

Oct 20, 2013
Is there any way to STOP this update besides buying TiBu pro? Can I just back up the att update on my sd and then delete it from my phone?

What else can I do?

I heard it won't update if you turn off wifi, is this true? My notification says postponed, I just want this to go away =(

Waiting4MyAndroid

Jul 22, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Is there any way to STOP this update besides buying TiBu pro? Can I just back up the att update on my sd and then delete it from my phone?

What else can I do?

I heard it won't update if you turn off wifi, is this true? My notification says postponed, I just want this to go away =(

Must be rooted. To stop all OTA and Security Updates, freeze the following:

AT&T Software Update.
FWUpgrade.
LocalFOTA.
Samsung Push Service.
Security Policy Updates.

You don't have to use TiBu. I use App Quarantine and it is free. Also you can delete the update from the cache folder using any root browser.

Last edited:
Reactions: btort1

btort1

Oct 20, 2013
Must be rooted. To stop all OTA and Security Updates, freeze the following:

AT&T Software Update.
FWUpgrade.
LocalFOTA.
Samsung Push Service.
Security Policy Updates.

You don't have to use TiBu. I use App Quarantine and it is free. Also you can delete the update from the cache folder using any root browser.

With app quarantine I was only able to disable AT&T software update, Locat FOTA

FWUpgrade, Samsung Push service and Security policy updates are not listed. Maybe a different name for them?

And is the cache update located on the root of the phone>cache folder? It's empty for mines.

Waiting4MyAndroid

Jul 22, 2012
Long Beach, CA

FWUpgrade, Samsung Push service and Security policy updates are not listed. Maybe a different name for them?

And is the cache update located on the root of the phone>cache folder? It's empty for mines.
In App Q, change the Filter settings to show all apps, turn on advanced mode and check System Services.

Reactions: btort1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why so quick to update? Is the system that unstable on the s5?

Risk your root for a little security fix and stability. I think not. Why not just ask a dev if they can get you current rom stable with a update made by someone not trying to screw you around...... ATT.......
    But in order to get to NG3 I'll have to take the ND3 OTA first right? I don't see why it is failing this time when it didn't the first time I made it.

Anyways, I'm downloading the .tar you linked me to and I'm willing to test it, but the download is a bit slow for me. If someone could test it earlier and give feedback would be appreciated.

No, once you are back on nce the ota update will skip nd3 and update directly to ng3. But you can sideload the nd3 update and that should work fine like before.
    No, once you are back on nce the ota update will skip nd3 and update directly to ng3. But you can sideload the nd3 update and that should work fine like before.

Flashed the .tar file. Everything went perfectly, no factory reset needed. Going to take the OTA now.

EDIT: Took the OTA, everything went perfect, now con NG3. THANK YOU!
    The update is just about guaranteed to break root.

I think it will too. It's just that this guy claims that he updated while being rooted and still has root after the update. Maybe he's trying to pull a fast one on us.
    I'm running Dynamic Kat anyway, so there is no way I'm taking a chance at not being able to flash safe strap again.

In App Q, change the Filter settings to show all apps, turn on advanced mode and check System Services.