3G Radio Stability Problem

Search This thread

gshocker

May 20, 2006
San Diego
I am just about to give up on this phone as I finally have a unit that doesn't lockup all the time but now it will not hold a 3G signal. The only way around this so far has been to lock it to EDGE. Once I did this it seems to not have problems holding a signal but when I turn 3G on it fluctuates between 3G, EDGE, GPRS and no signal all day long.

If I knew that Dell was working on a fix it would be one thing but they seem to be mostly quiet about any issues with the phone so far. Has anyone found a fix other than the various work arounds?

MrAdelphi02

Dec 28, 2008
London
Dslreports.com/stest Speed test result [Mobile browser Speed and Latency test: 800kbps

Mobilespeedtest.com Speed test result: 14545kbps d'loading 5MB (hahaha)

Funny thing is my phone seldom ever says "3G"...it pops up very very rarely, mostly shows the H or nothing at all

Zephnath

Oct 27, 2008
Layton
Both of those testing sites report that I am connecting at HSPA+ speeds, and are both reporting very closely to each other. So I'm pretty sure that the speeds reported are accurate. With the "BandWidth" App it too had similar results. So there is three different sources saying similar things.

Another thing is, don't consider the "H" a bad thing, it generally means you have an excellent connection and fast internet. See http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-touch-gsm/help/connectivity and look for the question that asks what the G, E, 3G, and H icons mean. Most of us don't see that at all, which is an issue with the phone, one I can live with as long as I still get the faster speeds.

frazell

Sep 18, 2006
Dslreports.com/stest Speed test result [Mobile browser Speed and Latency test: 800kbps

Mobilespeedtest.com Speed test result: 14545kbps d'loading 5MB (hahaha)

Funny thing is my phone seldom ever says "3G"...it pops up very very rarely, mostly shows the H or nothing at all

You get the H (stands for HSDPA)?

I didn't know that was rolled out by T-Mobile seeing as how I've never seen it in Philadelphia.

Interesting.

Either way that isn't a bad thing. H is the best you can see.

MrAdelphi02

Dec 28, 2008
London
I live in England and i'm not on T-Mobile, i'm on Vodafone (sister network to Verizon, I believe)..

And i only get the H now, not been "3G" for a few weeks now....but internet is fast, no not complaining...

Didn't know H meant 3G or HSDPA....learn something new every day : )

frazell

Sep 18, 2006
I live in England and i'm not on T-Mobile, i'm on Vodafone (sister network to Verizon, I believe)..

And i only get the H now, not been "3G" for a few weeks now....but internet is fast, no not complaining...

Didn't know H meant 3G or HSDPA....learn something new every day : )

That explains it. You have the faster HSDPA network that we lack here :(.

In general you want H over 3G :)

The icon map is here as well ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/start/what-do-the-icons-on-my-phone-mean.aspx ) :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, today I had a difficult time getting the phone to lose it's 3g connection. Only in an area known to have little or no 3g reception did my dvp switch to edge when I was in a restaurant. Other than that I was edge free all day. This kept me free of lock ups today and improved battery life. 3G reception was improved but still showed need for signal consistency. Hopefully a radio firmware patch will fix this soon. Meanwhile it seems that going into the phone's settings and turning on location and also checking both check boxes under "find my phone" have had the effect of keeping the phone in 3g for me.