[Q] question about ROM Kitchen and Wildfire S

Search This thread

InsaneDDay69

Feb 21, 2011
Mt. Vernon
i am wanting to experiment with making a ROM for my WFS. i have ROM kitchen, but it doesnt natively support these phones. i have seen a thread or 2 from people that have made a ROM with the kitchen, so i was wondering if the ones that have done it can point me in the right direction to making the mount file needed to make it work right. any help is greatly appreciated, and i plan on sharing my creation here if i get one stable and working.

*note-i tried to ask this question in one of the mentioned threads, but it wouldnt let me post in the dev forums. not a problem, but wanted to explain why i asked here.

insink71

Nov 9, 2010
Greenville, SC
teamblueridge.org
easy nuff

I've used it. What carrier you with? And what software number you got fron that carrier [Found in menu settings about phone software info]? What version of kitchen did you install on what kind of platform? Ok I asked three questions, shoot me the answers back and feel free to ask three of your own.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: danielstar13

InsaneDDay69

Feb 21, 2011
Mt. Vernon
I have virgin mobile USA. I'm running 2.3.4, and i have kitchen installed on Ubuntu. Not sure what version of kitchen, it was the latest one from the original posting of it.

Sent from my Wildfire S

Last edited:

InsaneDDay69

Feb 21, 2011
Mt. Vernon
just mainly wondering how to get the mount points i need to make the ROM work properly. aside from that unless you have any tips for a new guy, then i think thats all. i appreciate any info you provide, and i also appreciate you responding.

insink71

Nov 9, 2010
Greenville, SC
teamblueridge.org
Rom Kitchen

Since you've made it through the setup (I assume). For your stock Rom, (in recovery) run a nandroid, now clear all your data (factory reset) and run another nandroid (just something I like to do to ensure no data will be pulled... Probably not necessary but it gives you your revert to (with data) and your (clean) build nandroid. Now take your build nandroid and open it up with a file manager (ie es explorer). You will want to grab two files from this nandroid... boot.img & system.img (may have called it system.yaffs2.img but just grab it and rename it to system.img). Ok now you have your ingredients for your first build. Connect the phone to your computer (USB storage) pull the two files across to the folder in your home directory that says put Rom here. You are ready to start cooking. Start the kitchen and use those 2 files to build your working folder. You can also try out the various features dsixda has built in. For example lets say you make your Rom rooted, you add apps2sd support, and just for giggles you deodex too. Now any additional changes you want to make can be done in the working folder. So, for our figurative example lets say you wanted to delete flashlite and add a full flash player, download the apk (think there are links to flash player or new market in the app & theme forum), delete flaslite.apk from the system folder in your working directory and paste your full flash player.apk in... Ok you've done all the editing to your working folder that you want to do (lots that you can change, but you want to have a working build and you don't have to make any changes to working folder if you just want to go through the options and read what the kitchen can cook in automatically; as you gain knowledge, you will edit your working folder more and more by hand, but that time will come). Ok start back up your kitchen and make sure all the options you wish have been completed (option 10 I think). Then if it all looks good, cook it (option 99); Also make sure you convert the update script back to updater. Go to the output folder and there you will have your flashable Rom. And thus concludes the lesson for today ;-)

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: InsaneDDay69

zero13th

Sep 6, 2011
just mainly wondering how to get the mount points i need to make the ROM work properly. aside from that unless you have any tips for a new guy, then i think thats all. i appreciate any info you provide, and i also appreciate you responding.

thanks insink71 for your help. but I think what he mean is kitchen template in 'edify_defs' dir.
there is no template for marvel (I'm stuck too :))
example:
Code:
edify_defs # cat vivo

# HTC Incredible S

change_mnt=yes

param1=ext3
param2=MMC

param1_sdcard=vfat
param2_sdcard=MTD

sys_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk0p25
cache_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk0p27
boot_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk0p22
data_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk0p26
sdcard_mnt=\/dev\/block\/mmcblk1p1

edify_defs #

Reactions: insink71

InsaneDDay69

Feb 21, 2011
Mt. Vernon
thanks insink71 for your help. but I think what he mean is kitchen template in 'edify_defs' dir.
example:
Code:
edify_defs # cat vivo

# HTC Incredible S

change_mnt=yes

param1=ext3
param2=MMC

param1_sdcard=vfat
param2_sdcard=MTD

edify_defs #

You are correct, but the tips are invaluable to me as a beginner. I have read somewhere that there isn't a new template to make for the marvel, but I don't know if its true. That was the reason for my asking lol. I appreciate the responses.

Sent from my Wildfire S

InsaneDDay69

Feb 21, 2011
Mt. Vernon
It may not require one, but according to dsixda it should. Either way you have been very helpful in getting me started with developing.

Sent from my Wildfire S

2fast4u88

Nov 6, 2010
It doesn't matter if gsm or cdma, what rom version you have or what os you are running to use the kitchen. Then the mount points won't matter either, as the kitchen defaults to mtd which is nand devices. In which the wilfire is one, the only time you need to worry about the mount points is on a emmc device.

Which below is why those files matter for the emmc devices:
Code:
format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p26");
or
Code:
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p26", "/system");
Those are from my hero s rom's updater. Where the nand devices always use something like below:
Code:
format("MTD", "system");
or
Code:
mount("MTD", "system", "/system");
Where the above is from my leansense rom for the uscc wildfire s.

Edit: Here is the marvelc's virgin mobile and uscc mount points. The first is from my device config for cm.
Code:
#dev:    size   erasesize  name
#mtd0: 00100000 00040000 "misc"
#mtd1: 00500000 00040000 "recovery"
#mtd2: 00340000 00040000 "boot"
#mtd3: 106c0000 00040000 "system"
#mtd4: 02300000 00040000 "cache"
#mtd5: 09600000 00040000 "userdata"
#mtd6: 00500000 00040000 "devlog"

Also off topic but just so you guys know the process you used to s-off corrupted the misc partition. Which makes fun for weird and stupid issues. Then also like on the desire and others a corrupted misc partition bricks usb and such. I have the stuff for uscc and virgin mobile, I just have to get it up in a post how to fix it.

Last edited:

rkleinhenz

Mar 23, 2011
It doesn't matter if gsm or cdma, what rom version you have or what os you are running to use the kitchen. Then the mount points won't matter either, as the kitchen defaults to mtd which is nand devices. In which the wilfire is one, the only time you need to worry about the mount points is on a emmc device.

So here's another marvelc wannabe chef that made it to this thread with the same questions. I thought my problem was not having a marvelc file in my edify_defs... thought the _template indicated I needed one.

Also off topic but just so you guys know the process you used to s-off corrupted the misc partition. Which makes fun for weird and stupid issues. Then also like on the desire and others a corrupted misc partition bricks usb and such. I have the stuff for uscc and virgin mobile, I just have to get it up in a post how to fix it.

Corrupted misc... wow... how is that fixable? Or how can I verify whether I have a corrupt misc?

Here is my problem, perhaps someone has ideas how to proceed. I am fairly new to this, as you may guess since I am here and am asking questions :) I downloaded some ROMs that simonsimons34 cooked up. When I flashed them, the phone would get stuck on boot, on the mfg logo screen. adb logcat would not capture anything when I tried. (I have captured it for a working ROM boot, so I think I know how to do it). I also inspected the recovery.log and found nothing weird there. Then I downloaded 2 versions from insink71 and they both booded, but the newer one had issues running, which for now is beside the point. Point is they BOOTED! So now I tried to cook my own. Trying to start simple I made no modifications, just sent a known working nandroid through the kitchen and recompiled and it get stuck trying to boot. Again no output to logcat, recovery.log looks good. So I came across the edify_defs in the kitchen tools and figure that's where my problem is. build.prop has ro.product.name=marvelc and _template tells me I need a marvelc file. Of course I don't know the mount points. So now I read you don't need it? And insink71 says his ROM did not use a marvelc?

Any pointers from thos that have gone down this road would be greatly appreciated! My environment:
phone HTC Wildfire S Virgin Moblie, A510c
windows 7
oracle VM VirtualBox
linux 11.10 with java6
DsiXDA kitchen 0.183

Regards,
Rich

insink71

Nov 9, 2010
Greenville, SC
teamblueridge.org
help

So here's another marvelc wannabe chef that made it to this thread with the same questions. I thought my problem was not having a marvelc file in my edify_defs... thought the _template indicated I needed one.

Corrupted misc... wow... how is that fixable? Or how can I verify whether I have a corrupt misc?

Here is my problem, perhaps someone has ideas how to proceed. I am fairly new to this, as you may guess since I am here and am asking questions :) I downloaded some ROMs that simonsimons34 cooked up. When I flashed them, the phone would get stuck on boot, on the mfg logo screen. adb logcat would not capture anything when I tried. (I have captured it for a working ROM boot, so I think I know how to do it). I also inspected the recovery.log and found nothing weird there. Then I downloaded 2 versions from insink71 and they both booded, but the newer one had issues running, which for now is beside the point. Point is they BOOTED! So now I tried to cook my own...

And insink71 says his ROM did not use a marvelc?

Any pointers from thos that have gone down this road would be greatly appreciated! My environment:
phone HTC Wildfire S Virgin Moblie, A510c
windows 7
oracle VM VirtualBox
linux 11.10 with java6
DsiXDA kitchen 0.183

Regards,
Rich

Ummm all my roms have been for marvelc and all have booted and run decently [by most accounts]; you had a unactivated phone. I would guess that my first build [from shortly after root] was activated. Team marvelUSc will always release working boots; which, should work activated or not because they're using base roms from official RUUs to build with. Until yesterday, I was just working from copies; but today I have RUUs thanks to the wizardry of Football [see first stickied thread in development, contact him, donate to his work- he will probably share openly after he receives enough donations to cover his expenses gathering them] Other roms have been written for marvelc [some of which, may have failed to boot]; not my concern. Whether or not one has a marvelc device to test with [which is what I relayed to you]; potential concern for development; but not mine since I do have a marvelc and I do test my roms. Having a non-booting rom; that would be a grave concern [if it happened to me or the new team; also formed yesterday]...

The kitchen is a tool that people can try, or even [contrary to opinion] developers can use it too [and teach people how to get started; which being helpful and relaying knowledge; which, is the sect of XDA I'm from]. There are other tools as well.

Yesterday, when I got official RUUs, I tried to do the smart thing; [team build]. Simonsimon34 thought it a decent idea, I handed him the vm RUU. I went to who I believed to be a US Cellular developer [see the informative post above... though I won't mention names]; he was busy writing a post launching personal attacks at me [which have already been deleted], I withheld the USCC RUU meant for him. It was my intention to look at MetroPCS, and I did that briefly and made a rom [that boots and works] from it with dsixda's kitchen. If yesterday I sent you a message when my blood pressure was through the roof; I apologize. I will continue to help you privately via email on the version numbers etc for kichen if you wish. Just wanted to tell my perspective.

Rob

Last edited:

rkleinhenz

Mar 23, 2011
Just wanted to tell my perspective.Rob

Thanks, Rob, I took no offense to posts or email from you, all info I got from you has been helpful. There's one more bit of info I have I forgot in the summary above: I had a PM from someone who ALSO had an unactivated phone, and he had no problem flashing and booting simonsimons34's ROM which failed to boot for me! So it's probably not the fact that mine is not activated... I really thought I was doing something fundamentally wrong until I downloaded your ROM and it booted fine. Now I am planning to look through the kitchen scripts to learn more about the process of making a ROM. I'm fairly tenacious and will get this to work some day :) I'll email you with something you may be able to help me with.

Regards,
Rich

zero13th

Sep 6, 2011
so... in summary,
can someone create a template or upload a 'working' kitchen to cook custom ROM for marvel/c?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Which below is why those files matter for the emmc devices:
    Code:
    format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p26");
    or
    Code:
    mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p26", "/system");
    Those are from my hero s rom's updater. Where the nand devices always use something like below:
    Code:
    format("MTD", "system");
    or
    Code:
    mount("MTD", "system", "/system");
    Where the above is from my leansense rom for the uscc wildfire s.

Edit: Here is the marvelc's virgin mobile and uscc mount points. The first is from my device config for cm.
    Code:
    #dev:    size   erasesize  name
    #mtd0: 00100000 00040000 "misc"
    #mtd1: 00500000 00040000 "recovery"
    #mtd2: 00340000 00040000 "boot"
    #mtd3: 106c0000 00040000 "system"
    #mtd4: 02300000 00040000 "cache"
    #mtd5: 09600000 00040000 "userdata"
    #mtd6: 00500000 00040000 "devlog"

easy nuff

I've used it. What carrier you with? And what software number you got fron that carrier [Found in menu settings about phone software info]? What version of kitchen did you install on what kind of platform? Ok I asked three questions, shoot me the answers back and feel free to ask three of your own.

Rob
    Rom Kitchen

Since you've made it through the setup (I assume). For your stock Rom, (in recovery) run a nandroid, now clear all your data (factory reset) and run another nandroid (just something I like to do to ensure no data will be pulled... Probably not necessary but it gives you your revert to (with data) and your (clean) build nandroid. Now take your build nandroid and open it up with a file manager (ie es explorer). You will want to grab two files from this nandroid... boot.img & system.img (may have called it system.yaffs2.img but just grab it and rename it to system.img). Ok now you have your ingredients for your first build. Connect the phone to your computer (USB storage) pull the two files across to the folder in your home directory that says put Rom here. You are ready to start cooking. Start the kitchen and use those 2 files to build your working folder. You can also try out the various features dsixda has built in. For example lets say you make your Rom rooted, you add apps2sd support, and just for giggles you deodex too. Now any additional changes you want to make can be done in the working folder. So, for our figurative example lets say you wanted to delete flashlite and add a full flash player, download the apk (think there are links to flash player or new market in the app & theme forum), delete flaslite.apk from the system folder in your working directory and paste your full flash player.apk in... Ok you've done all the editing to your working folder that you want to do (lots that you can change, but you want to have a working build and you don't have to make any changes to working folder if you just want to go through the options and read what the kitchen can cook in automatically; as you gain knowledge, you will edit your working folder more and more by hand, but that time will come). Ok start back up your kitchen and make sure all the options you wish have been completed (option 10 I think). Then if it all looks good, cook it (option 99); Also make sure you convert the update script back to updater. Go to the output folder and there you will have your flashable Rom. And thus concludes the lesson for today ;-)

Rob

example:
    Code:
    edify_defs # cat vivo

# HTC Incredible S

change_mnt=yes

param1=ext3
    param2=MMC

param1_sdcard=vfat
    param2_sdcard=MTD

edify_defs #
    so... in summary,
    can someone create a template or upload a 'working' kitchen to cook custom ROM for marvel/c?

it works just fine for the wildfire s, as long as the base ROM was for the same phone. I'm not sure about porting yet though, it may need a template.

Sent from my ICDroid X