TF700t and rooting

Search This thread

EnginesRun

Aug 6, 2012
I've read the dedicated thread on rooting the TF700t with DebugfsRoot_v1.9 (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1706588&page=48).

I did successfully root a TF700t with 9_4_5_22.

Now I tried the same method after upgrading another TF700t from stock to 9_4_5_26.

Everything works fine during rooting (I've tried both manual and automated DebugfsRoot 1.9) with the following exceptions:

1. during the 3rd stage of rooting, I get
/system/bin/sh: /system/xbin/su: not executable: magic 7F45

Superuser access does not seem to be active after rooting. I did uninstall and re-install Superuser with no superuser access success.

I tried both under XP and 7/32 on the same device, no errors but root does not seem to be active. Between rooting attempts, I restored stock ROM.

Other details:
Asus USB drivers installed (off Asus website)
Asus synch is disabled and prevented from launching.
Security/Unknown sources is checked.
Developer options / USB debugging is ON/checked.

What do you think goes wrong?
Any help is appreciated. Thx

masseselsev

Aug 18, 2010
Zhukovskiy
the same..

I have nearly the same problem...

I have updated my rooted .21 to .26, then unlocked it and as it seems have lost root. I dont really know if it happened afted updating or afted unlocking...
None of my R-applications can get root, and so on...

I've tried to use the same method i used to get root on .21 and got this:

Step 2 - Rooting...
debugfs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
debugfs: rm: File not found by ext2_lookup while trying to resolve filename
debugfs:
debugfs: debugfs: Allocated inode: 1469
debugfs: debugfs: debugfs: debugfs:
Rebooting...
Testing superuser...
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=1003(graphics),1004(input),1007(log),1009(mount),1011(adb),
1015(sdcard_rw),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats)

uid and gid should both be 0.
Are they? (y/n):

And still no root...

What am i doing wrong? What to do next?

Thanks!

drherron

Jan 5, 2012
Albany
Is it a superuser problem?

Superuser access does not seem to be active after rooting. I did uninstall and re-install Superuser with no superuser access success.

Any help is appreciated. Thx

Can't help yet but I am having a similar problem with SU; its presence suggest I have root but it denies everyone else SU permissions...

alienedd

Jul 1, 2009
NW Florida
After rooting, run SuperUser explicitly from the applications menu. Then try your apps that require root access. I noticed that I had the issue of running the DebugFS root batch and then later was not able to properly run Adaway. Ran SuperUser, then everything went smooth.

I think someone already mentioned this in another thread.

masseselsev

Aug 18, 2010
Zhukovskiy
After rooting, run SuperUser explicitly from the applications menu. Then try your apps that require root access. I noticed that I had the issue of running the DebugFS root batch and then later was not able to properly run Adaway. Ran SuperUser, then everything went smooth.

I think someone already mentioned this in another thread.

nope. doesnt help in my case..

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

ok, i've solved my problem.
the idea mentioned by alienedd helped me to see that i could have a working root but faulty superuser app.
so i started with installing it from market.
then i ran DebugfsRoot_v1.9.
till it got to this point:
Testing superuser...
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=1003(graphics),1004(input),1007(log),1009(m ount),1011(adb),
1015(sdcard_rw),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),30 03(inet),3006(net_bw_stats)

uid and gid should both be 0.
Are they? (y/n):
then i have cleared all the data held by superuser app through settings\apps, stopped it and uninstalled.

after that i continued with the script and it installed me superuser app again.

after installing i've launched it and then ckecked my root-needed apps. they are ok now.

alienedd

Jul 1, 2009
NW Florida
Ahhh, yeah. Read about that in the DebugFS thread that sometimes one needs to uninstall superuser then reinstall for it to run properly. Didn't think about that. Glad that its all working now for yas.

I have tried all of this with 4 different packages (3 of the automated root from here and 1 from a link in the [RESOURCES] thread in the dev forum. every time, each package says that I have root, but when I check I do now. I followed what masseselev said and it failed as well. I have spent the better part of 5 hours trying to root. I guess I should say that I just got my infinity last night...and like a crackhead applied .26 ota without thinking about it. but I have read where the automated works fine with .26. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I cant get root on this thing. the packages always say that they were successful and that I have root, but I do not. no apps can gain root. terminal emulator still shows $ after trying to enter "su". I have tried several different root checkers and they all say I do not have root. any other ideas? I should also say that I have not unlocked the bootloader.

alienedd

Jul 1, 2009
NW Florida
I have tried all of this with 4 different packages (3 of the automated root from here and 1 from a link in the [RESOURCES] thread in the dev forum. every time, each package says that I have root, but when I check I do now. I followed what masseselev said and it failed as well. I have spent the better part of 5 hours trying to root. I guess I should say that I just got my infinity last night...and like a crackhead applied .26 ota without thinking about it. but I have read where the automated works fine with .26. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I cant get root on this thing. the packages always say that they were successful and that I have root, but I do not. no apps can gain root. terminal emulator still shows $ after trying to enter "su". I have tried several different root checkers and they all say I do not have root. any other ideas? I should also say that I have not unlocked the bootloader.

What exactly are you doing as its kind of hard to determine what has gone wrong?

DebugFS works with .26 OTA and you don't need an unlocked bootloader for it to work (though having root might cause problems for getting OTAs and the unlocker to work).

What exactly are you doing as its kind of hard to determine what has gone wrong?

DebugFS works with .26 OTA and you don't need an unlocked bootloader for it to work (though having root might cause problems for getting OTAs and the unlocker to work).

just trying to run the debugFS automated tool. it runs fine, and gives all indications that it works successfully. but I still dont have root. its driving me crazy. I have run 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 packages and all said I was rooted...but I dont think I am. I have installed and uninstalled superuser and rebooted numerous times. I went ahead and unlocked the bootloader and it still wont work. I can open a command prompt from within the package folders (2.0, 2.1 and 2.2) and run adb shell, then su and it shows #. but if I do it from terminal on the infinity it shows $ when i do su. sorry if im vague, im just brain fried at this point and dont know what else to do.

alienedd

Jul 1, 2009
NW Florida
just trying to run the debugFS automated tool. it runs fine, and gives all indications that it works successfully. but I still dont have root. its driving me crazy. I have run 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 packages and all said I was rooted...but I dont think I am. I have installed and uninstalled superuser and rebooted numerous times. I went ahead and unlocked the bootloader and it still wont work. I can open a command prompt from within the package folders (2.0, 2.1 and 2.2) and run adb shell, then su and it shows #. but if I do it from terminal on the infinity it shows $ when i do su. sorry if im vague, im just brain fried at this point and dont know what else to do.

Yeah, I understand. Um, I know I've repeated this several other times but I don't see it in your list of things you've done. Were you able to open up the superuser application? It seems that if it opens, you have root, and in some cases might not work until it is opened. It's both fortunate and unfortunate that I did not encounter many problems while rooting so my experience with possible errors isn't that expansive. However, you've run the package(s) completely so it's not a driver issue and you can adb and see su access. It just seems like the tablet isn't recognizing that it does have it.

yeah, I ran superuser immediately after rooting. then rebooted each time. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29951628&postcount=494

lol thats everything that I have tried. kinda sucks, but im sure someone will figure it out at some point.

weird thing is, if I run a command prompt from within the package folders I see that its rooted. if I run terminal on the device it says permission denied and prompt is still $. just odd.

alienedd

Jul 1, 2009
NW Florida
I'm sure that sparky can give you help in the main thread as he has a whole lot more knowledge about the possible failings. Also, read over some of the other threads here as there seem to be quite a few people with errors that I don't even understand why they are happening. Maybe a something like simply the drivers? http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29974269&postcount=9

Other then that, I'm at a loss bud. Do mention the fruits of your research though as I'm sure it would definitely be helpful to others.

I'm sure that sparky can give you help in the main thread as he has a whole lot more knowledge about the possible failings. Also, read over some of the other threads here as there seem to be quite a few people with errors that I don't even understand why they are happening. Maybe a something like simply the drivers? http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29974269&postcount=9

Other then that, I'm at a loss bud. Do mention the fruits of your research though as I'm sure it would definitely be helpful to others.

yeah, we have been trying to figure it out...no joy. I have seen quite a few people with the same issue. hopefully someone can sort out why its happening soon. even if I cant root, at least knowing why would somewhat appease me.

Ok, I followed this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28519641&postcount=11 and was successful in rooting mine and my gf's infinity's.

one thing though. after manually rooting, after the final reboot, go into the Superuser app. DO NOT UPDATE IT FROM WITHIN THE APP. for some reason, updating from within Superuser borks the app. at least it did for mine and my gf's.

optional:
close Superuser. go to the play store and download busybox installer (needed to run titanium backup), root checker (there are a ton, just pick one of the top ones), adaway, ota rootkeeper and titanium backup. doesnt matter what order. I would run busybox installer first though once you have everything installed. after busybox installs, you can run root checker, adaway or titanium to check root. I say after you install busybox because some apps do require busybox to be installed before they consider you rooted. if you get the superuser prompt to allow/deny, everything is working fine. once you know that you have root and everything is working ok, run ota rootkeeper.

my only question at this point is regarding OTA updates. to my understanding, simply rooting will allow you to continue to receive OTA updates, but unlocking the bootloader will prevent you from getting OTA updates...is this correct?

Reactions: flamingsnot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ok, I followed this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28519641&postcount=11 and was successful in rooting mine and my gf's infinity's.

one thing though. after manually rooting, after the final reboot, go into the Superuser app. DO NOT UPDATE IT FROM WITHIN THE APP. for some reason, updating from within Superuser borks the app. at least it did for mine and my gf's.

optional:
    close Superuser. go to the play store and download busybox installer (needed to run titanium backup), root checker (there are a ton, just pick one of the top ones), adaway, ota rootkeeper and titanium backup. doesnt matter what order. I would run busybox installer first though once you have everything installed. after busybox installs, you can run root checker, adaway or titanium to check root. I say after you install busybox because some apps do require busybox to be installed before they consider you rooted. if you get the superuser prompt to allow/deny, everything is working fine. once you know that you have root and everything is working ok, run ota rootkeeper.

my only question at this point is regarding OTA updates. to my understanding, simply rooting will allow you to continue to receive OTA updates, but unlocking the bootloader will prevent you from getting OTA updates...is this correct?