The Positive Transformer Prime Thread

Search This thread

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
This weekend was my first experience taking my Prime for our weekend vacation. It was the first time I officially and fully used the device instead of the laptop and A500, I have usually brought along in the past.

Great experience. Complete replacement for everything that we needed to do: Facebook, Bank of America, XDA (of course), news, weather, looking up hotel information, looking up local restaurant information including menus, checking out local attractions, maps, directions, even checking out Google Earth to match up what we were seeing outside of the window.

And fast Wifi connection, even with the dubbed "slow" Wifi connection here at the Westin.

Thanks, Geritol.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

reichstah

Sep 29, 2010
The first 24 hours

Long time lurker, nearly never poster. Hi, all.

I sold a Eeepc netbook to "trade" in for a prime. I got my prime and dock yesterday from Amazon, a grey 64G C3, after waiting about a month for it to ship. Agonizing. I had been doing a bunch of reading on it here while I waited, so I had a game plan all lined up for rooting/customizing.

First, the bad. Out of the box, the wifi would never complete turning on. Found someone else here with the same problem, doing an immediate factory data wipe fixed that. GPS is abysmal, almost completely unusable. Registered for the dongle immediately. (I didn't buy this for the GPS, but that's still disappointing.)

Now, the good. Pretty much everything else. It came with the .15 firmware. I gotta say, the Asus stock rom really isn't too bad at all. This was a pleasant surprise.. I've had a G1, MyTouch, Samsung Galaxy, and now the Galaxy II, and to date all the manufactuer additions only detract from the android experience. Bloat bloat bloat. The Asus stock was refreshingly clean. Gotta give props where it is due, that's really nice.

I waited to root until I was sure hardware was all okay. Read the "checklist" forum posts. No dead pixels, no light bleeds... basically, it seems perfect. The wifi signal strength almost always shows one bar, but the signal itself works completely fine from anywhere inside my house, and outside on the patio. Video streaming from Plex is awesome.

As good as the stock rom was, I only lasted a few hours with it before I rooted (vipermod), flashed CWM (method 2), and put on the most recent Cyanogen nightly (4/18.) Not everything works yet (it's only a nightly, after all), but I'm running nightlies for my Galaxy 2 also, and I'm uber impressed at how quickly stuff is coming together over there. I can only anticipate the same rapid clip of making things great from the Cyanogen team -- as it is now, it's easily usable as a daily driver... and there's something really nice about a "computer" and my phone acting the same, syncing data, etc. AAIIIEE THE FUTURE

I think the only thing I could want now is a stable/easy method to dual boot into ubuntu for when I need to do some "real" work, and this would qualify as my dream device.

Super, super happy camper. Worth every penny.

laword

Feb 18, 2011
I love this tablet. Yeah there are some issues, but ill take it any day of the week. +1 to the OP for this post.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

dabombcra

Oct 14, 2011
I have had my Prime for two weeks and the dock for a few days. I read lots about the issues and was concerned, but decided to do my own testing. Wifi is not as good as my Rezound, but it is good enough. Having the dock is sure a pleasure. I did not think it would be easy to type on, but it has and the short cut keys help speed things up.

I debated on getting a iPad because of all of the bad post. After giving this a chance, it will work out for me. Both units have the C3 serial number. This might also be why I am not experiencing the issues others have had. Having the 32gb unit with the upgradeable storage, it will all my to add lots of content.

There are things that I wish I could do with this that I can't, but for the most part, I have not complaints.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

thenrz

Dec 9, 2010
I love my prime. I use it in my car, at home, while on my desktop LOL. My lady thinks i am quite strange...

The alum backplate may have caused some issues, but it is super sexy and i can imagine very robust

Oh... Old.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

May 23, 2012
my asus transformer prime has a yellowish tint screen

Hi,

I have craved for an asus transformer prime tablet since it was released, i had to save a lot just to finally buy it.

But i feel very disappointed becuase from the day i bought it, i realised its screen has a more yellowish tint, which doesnot match up all the reviews on the TFP i read on major sites like CNET and Engadget.

Please help me out ( what can i do to adjust the hue or is there a software update that can fix it), so that i can enjoy the prime as many others do.

I was surprised mine came already packed with ICS V 9.4.2.21-20120323

MalcontentUK

May 26, 2012
London
I received my Prime 2 weeks ago and have completely fallen for it. This is my first Android device, and I'm extremely impressed. Its snappy and responsive, very attractive and well designed. I've also been lucky with my GPS and WiFi.

The absolute star feature for me has been the dock; its such a simple idea that works very well and makes this much more versatile than I was expecting. I can switch from typing in a document or playing with DosBox while docked to watching videos or browsing the net as a tablet; all feels very natural and I'm rapidly wishing my laptop was as capable!

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I received my Prime 2 weeks ago and have completely fallen for it. This is my first Android device, and I'm extremely impressed. Its snappy and responsive, very attractive and well designed. I've also been lucky with my GPS and WiFi.

The absolute star feature for me has been the dock; its such a simple idea that works very well and makes this much more versatile than I was expecting. I can switch from typing in a document or playing with DosBox while docked to watching videos or browsing the net as a tablet; all feels very natural and I'm rapidly wishing my laptop was as capable!

The dock has also been a good surprise for me. I never would of thought dock would be so useful. It adds a whole new dimension to the Prime. plus it doubles as a stand for watching movies and such. Extra battery life, full size usb port with usb host capabilities, and a full size SD Card. The value in it cant be beat and is what makes Asus tablets/Prime stand above other Android tablets. Also why they are highly praised by major tech sites. Either use it as a tablet only device or docked as a ultrabook/powerful netbook combo with a superior display.

BTW, what serial number model do you have? is it a C4 or later model?

p.s. its even faster and more responsive being overclocked or with build.prop mod or both. :cool:

Reactions: bimgirl

ThiaiZ

Sep 23, 2010
Eskilstuna
1 month with my C4 TFP, rooted and tweaked by myself using the experience I have gotten after developing for other android devices(didnt need a lot of tweaks just build.prop + browser2ram + touchscreen tone), and what I have to say is that after using (Iphone 3G, HTC Desire,Nexus S,ZTE v9,SGS2 and LG Optimus 3D) the Asus TFP is the only one Android device I have had in my hands able to replace 85% of all my needs in a laptop. It is a great device and IMO it is still the Android King.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
1 month with my C4 TFP, rooted and tweaked by myself using the experience I have gotten after developing for other android devices(didnt need a lot of tweaks just build.prop + browser2ram + touchscreen tone), and what I have to say is that after using (Iphone 3G, HTC Desire,Nexus S,ZTE v9,SGS2 and LG Optimus 3D) the Asus TFP is the only one Android device I have had in my hands able to replace 85% of all my needs in a laptop. It is a great device and IMO it is still the Android King.

do you plan on developing for prime? custom rom or some kind of tweak or something? I've kept seeing browser2ram lately. what is that? I think I have touch screen tone but never used it. my prime has been great with just a modded build.prop.

ShelW

Mar 25, 2009
After two months, I'm still thrilled with my Transformer Prime!

My son, against my advise (kids!), purchased the new IPad, my wife has the iPad2, and my daughter has an iPad, supplied by her school.

I was at Best Buy yesterday, and the salesman was using his Transformer Prime! Naturally, we got into discussing the Prime, along with other tablets.

Just purchased a wireless PS3 controller, to try using with my Prime. Not a big game player, but the PS3 controller along with Grand Theft Auto 3 is a blast! (I don't believe you can use bluetooth controller with the iPad, but could be wrong)

A few days ago, I discovered AirDroid, which allows you to transfer files, view photos, move things back and forth between your PC/Mac and your Transformer Prime, all wirelessly, all withOUT having to install any app on your PC!

Sorry iPad users, no can do on the iPad! You MIGHT be able to transfer photos, but you can't, for example, send SMS messages from your PC if it's hooked up to your iPhone, while you CAN send them from your PC if it's hooked up to an Android Phone!

My son told me he's getting close to running out of memory, and will have to start to delete apps/files, to make room on his tablet. No such problem on the TP!

Rytkonen

Oct 14, 2010
I've been pretty frustrated at times with my Prime, because of reboots and lockups. Last weekend I used the Prime very much in my backyard for surfing and listening to music while grilling food and I was very impressed about the display. :) Device was completely usable in almost direct sunlight where my laptop is practically unusable. And the long lasting battery, I love it.

maranello69

Apr 1, 2011
EU
I'm very happy to have found this topic, reading all the bad reports on the net i was thinking to not buy it anymore, but after i have browsed this topic I'll definitely order one today :)

i got a galaxy tab p4 7500, but the lag on this thing is incredible... i wanna get rid of it quick and get my hands on this Prime baby asap :D

thanks to all of you guys for posting in this topic, u have really made a difference for me

Hey guys, I got my Prime about 3 weeks ago, also received the GPS dongle in the mean time :)

Excellent piece of hardware, its smooth and there's absolutely no lag, compared to that boring g tab.

Buy it, you will be amazed!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I've seen lots of posts with complaints or concerns about the prime but let's have a thread to share our positives about it. If all we see are the negatives or the couple of bad tablets no one will want one. Sooooooo, I'd like to hear what you guys who do have it like about it, what did Asus do RIGHT?

Please share your thoughts! :cool:

UPDATE:
    Include the model and color in your posts please!:)
    I am really loving this tablet :)

Just wanna say how much I am loving this tablet. :cool:

I've been looking forward to this tablet for quite a while and decided to browse these forums to find out more about it.

From a lot of the threads it seemed like there are tons of issues that are deal-breakers for people, so I was hesitant to jump in. After letting the complaints sink in I decided to actually get one to see for myself, because I know how issues can seem a lot bigger than they really are on a message board.

After it arrived I can say that I am glad I got it.

The wifi has been working great and the screen is beautiful. Not 1920x1200? After seeing the screen already on there and watching some netflix I don't even feel like I need a higher resolution screen. The speed is buttery smooth and it even works with my wireless microsoft mouse.

The tablet and dock feel solid and it's much thinner and more sleek than my ASUS 1215N netbook. I love the finish and the look.

I've had no issues with ICS and am even rooted, thanks to the wonderful help from these forums.

TLDR:

I am loving this tablet and do not regret getting this instead of waiting for a TF700.
    I have a suggestion. Since there are an overwhelming number of threads with "good" vs. "evil" debates, can't this one thread be left for people that are happy/satisfied to share their feelings? Up until a couple of pages ago this thread was left alone by the dissatisfied. I'm not suggesting people who want to vent shouldn't, just leave at least one thread that's not riddled with complaints about Asus, the Prime, Nvidia, and/or Gary so those that are satisfied can enjoy their purchase.

Peace out.
    Everything works great on mine.Went into maps & it instantly locked on to me.Web browsing is a breeze. Love that I can play full HD on YouTube. I love the haptic feedback too.Reminds of the old galaxy tab with that option lol.This baby makes my XOOM look bad.I love it.Also mine has no light bleed.
    Well I have a very positive story to contribute.

I am one of the few people who had serious issues with the Transformer Prime; specifically, the lockup/reboot issue caused after the ICS OTA back on the 9th. The vast majority of people with Primes had no such problem, but I was finally able to find and join a thread of others describing the same symptoms.

Once there, the challenge for us was that even though we had a legitimate, tablet-bricking, deal-breaking issue with our devices, we were drowning in a sea of threads and posts of any other complaint you can think of: "Can't get a kanye west video to play," "Wifi connectivity is a couple decibels lower than I'd like," "Angry Birds is a little laggy," and junk like that.

Thanks to this, not only did we have to struggle to get our issue acknowledge by ASUS, it was hard enough to even be acknowledged by fellow XDA members who were becoming increasingly fed up with all of the griping and moaning about this wonderful beast of a tablet. And who can blame them?

Those of us in the thread kept up with troubleshooting as best we could, and as the post count grew, we eventually saw a few of the more technical members drop in to offer their suggestions (despite growing negative attitudes of some users within the thread), and eventually someone from ASUS even responded saying that they were tracking the issue.

To cut a long story short and get to the positive part - I now have a perfectly working Transformer Prime. I didn't have to exchange it or RMA it, I just waited, helped with the troubleshooting, and assisted the ASUS devs when asked to test new builds. I am currently on one of those builds (see signature) and it has completely resolved any issues I had. No more freezing or boot-looping. It's every bit as fast, slick and stable as it is supposed to be and I'm glad I stuck with it. :)

In summary:
    • This tablet is amazing.
    • The fact that ASUS got involved in threads like these and worked directly with end users to test software fixes - despite endless resentment and bashing from quite a few users - is amazing.
    • The willingness and courtesy of XDA members - with or without the same issue - to offer their assistance to each other is amazing.

I am having a glass of scotch right now to celebrate my resurrected Prime and my involvement in this ****ing awesome community. XDA for the win.