[Q] Custom Kernel

Search This thread

Misce

Aug 19, 2013
Hello,

I use SM-N9005 4.4.2, Baseband ver. N9005XXUENC2, Kernel ver. 3.4.0-1168347, Build number KOT49H.N9005XXUEND5.

It's a rooted, stock ROM somewhat modded with Xposed, Android Tuner app etc.

I'd like to flash a custom Kernel which will allow overclocking, eXtended battery life and some other neat features I hope more experienced XDA community will recomend.

So, what Kernel would you recomend as a mix of stability and performance for my stock TW rom? I am fairly inexperienced in these waters. Are Baseband version, Build number etc important when deciding on a Kernel?

Any advice would be welcome. Thank you in advance.

4aces

Feb 16, 2010
Hello,

I use SM-N9005 4.4.2, Baseband ver. N9005XXUENC2, Kernel ver. 3.4.0-1168347, Build number KOT49H.N9005XXUEND5.

I'd like to flash a custom Kernel which will allow overclocking, eXtended battery life and some other neat features I hope more experienced XDA community will recomend.

So, what Kernel would you recomend as a mix of stability and performance for my stock TW rom? I am fairly inexperienced in these waters. Are Baseband version, Build number etc important when deciding on a Kernel?

Try n3 by wootever, sneakykat and leankernel (last doesn't have so many features but is great for battery & performance) and my personal favorite ael kernel of course.
The kernels are pretty easy to flash just put on SD flash and wipe Cache & dalvik. So don't worry if you don't like the kernel just flash another one.
One more thing don't put two different apps for kernel settings (like Synapse & Trickster) on the device cause that may cause conflicts. Have fun testing:D

Reactions: Misce

Guojun

May 21, 2014
Try n3 by wootever, sneakykat and leankernel (last doesn't have so many features but is great for battery & performance) and my personal favorite ael kernel of course.
The kernels are pretty easy to flash just put on SD flash and wipe Cache & dalvik. So don't worry if you don't like the kernel just flash another one.
One more thing don't put two different apps for kernel settings (like Synapse & Trickster) on the device cause that may cause conflicts. Have fun testing:D

Is it really necessary to wipe cache & dalvik? I've read in several posts that it is not required as there will not be any benefit. :confused:

Reactions: B3311

Misce

Aug 19, 2013

Thanks for your response. I've flashed the AEL kernel, recommended by you.

What are the immediate advantages I received compared to the default one? How do I get the most out of it now - what next?

Thanks for your patience.

Reactions: 4aces

4aces

Feb 16, 2010

What are the immediate advantages I received compared to the default one? How do I get the most out of it now - what next?

That is pretty hard to answer cause I do not know what settings you prefer. (Performance, battery or a mix of both). Download Trickster from app store or set cpu (for last you have to pay though). At first I would try to set just governor and I/O scheduler. In the link you will find some information. Got helped not too long ago;)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52955859#post52955859
Make sure to hit thanks for nikolaschum for the awesome posts and links he provided! !

Last edited:

Misce

Aug 19, 2013
That is pretty hard to answer cause I do not know what settings you prefer. (Performance, battery or a mix of both). Download Trickster from app store or set cpu (for last you have to pay though). At first I would try to set just governor and I/O scheduler. In the link you will find some information. Got helped not too long ago;)
Make sure to hit thanks for nikolaschum for the awesome posts and links he provided! !

Is it safe to simply overlock my N9005 to 2.8 Ghz?

4aces

Feb 16, 2010
Is it safe to simply overlock my N9005 to 2.8 Ghz?
No for Benchmark maybe;) but most of the time the phone will crash then.

Personally I take 22565600 as max and 300 min with intellidemand governor and deadline scheduler but every phone works different that's also why you won't find any "perfect" kernel or governor.

Last edited:

joker shadow

Nov 5, 2012
how can I flash the kernel I tried CWM to flash the zip file but it doesn't work please help me to find my solution

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

Is it really necessary to wipe cache & dalvik? I've read in several posts that it is not required as there will not be any benefit. :confused:

To quote Hacre, an excellent dev on other Samsung devices - wiping cache and dalvik for kernel flashing is like filling your car tires when the gearbox is ruined... :)