[Q] Rom or app to fix either bluetooth handsfree or disable 4g

Search This thread

madmanzippy

Mar 19, 2009
Hi All,
I love my captivate, but replaced it with a droid 4 so I could switch off 4g and use hands free. The issue I have is, where I live we have poor cell coverage except for 2g. If the phone has even the faintest sniff of 3g or 4g it connects to that. This results in no calls or few calls getting through, hence needing to turn it off. All the roms I have tried don't seem to allow you to select 2g only (my droid does). Also all the roms I have tried prior to august have Bluetooth issues and have no audio on any of my 3 HF kits. If I use the standard at&t rom, they all work, just stuck with 4g.
I have tried the service menu, but that only works sometimes and I find myself missing a few calls and spending half my time messing with that menu. Any apps I tried, only actually link to the phones menu and don't actually do much more than provide a shortcut.

Please help, as I would prefer to use this over my droid, especially as that has the dreaded earpiece issue. AAARRRRRRRGGGGG :mad:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Hi All,
I love my captivate, but replaced it with a droid 4 so I could switch off 4g and use hands free. The issue I have is, where I live we have poor cell coverage except for 2g. If the phone has even the faintest sniff of 3g or 4g it connects to that. This results in no calls or few calls getting through, hence needing to turn it off. All the roms I have tried don't seem to allow you to select 2g only (my droid does). Also all the roms I have tried prior to august have Bluetooth issues and have no audio on any of my 3 HF kits. If I use the standard at&t rom, they all work, just stuck with 4g.
I have tried the service menu, but that only works sometimes and I find myself missing a few calls and spending half my time messing with that menu. Any apps I tried, only actually link to the phones menu and don't actually do much more than provide a shortcut.

Please help, as I would prefer to use this over my droid, especially as that has the dreaded earpiece issue. AAARRRRRRRGGGGG :mad:

Hi

Have you tried sediROM and if so: are your BT devices working with it?

If that is the case and you want to permanently disable 3G and 4G for the device:

Open dialer
Type in: *#*#2263#*#
Tap menu 3 (GSM bands)
Select 1 (All GSM)
Tap the menu button and press "end" if the menu does not close automatically after that.

Hint: never use the "back" key while in service mode!

That way you will effectively disable or enable 3G and 4G. You can revert by choosing automatic instead of menu 3.

As this is something you do not want to do every day I can recommend the app Llama (2 "L"). With this you could switch on/off 3G based on your location (based on the phone cell , gps e.g. or based on whatever you want). You need to specify a rule within Llama where you define a event and an action. The action can then be to use 3G etc or disable it e.g. when you leave home enable it and disable it when come back.

If sediROM works for your BT devices then you should be fine with either the above permanent solution and/or using Llama.

All the best

-----
Sent from my SGH-I927 using XDA Android mobile app

Reactions: madmanzippy

madmanzippy

Mar 19, 2009
Hi

If that is the case and you want to permanently disable 3G and 4G for the device:

Open dialer
Tap menu 3 (GSM bands)
Select 1 (All GSM)
Tap the menu button and press "end" if the menu does not close automatically after that.

That way you will effectively disable or enable 3G and 4G. You can revert by choosing automatic instead of menu 3.

As this is something you do not want to do every day I can recommend the app Llama (2 "L"). With this you could switch on/off 3G based on your location (based on the phone cell , gps e.g. or based on whatever you want). You need to specify a rule within Llama where you define a event and an action. The action can then be to use 3G etc or disable it e.g. when you leave home enable it and disable it when come back.

If sediROM works for your BT devices then you should be fine with either the above permanent solution and/or using Llama.

All the best

-----
Thanks for this. I have flashed phone and will try over the weekend. Thanks for the code hint, I never used to press end, which may be half the problem. I have downloaded Llama too. On initial setup it doesn't seem to be switching to 2g. This could possibly be a error on my part and will continue playing. FYI the code is actually *#*#2263#*#*

Reactions: steadfasterX

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Thanks for this. I have flashed phone and will try over the weekend. Thanks for the code hint, I never used to press end, which may be half the problem. I have downloaded Llama too. On initial setup it doesn't seem to be switching to 2g. This could possibly be a error on my part and will continue playing. FYI the code is actually *#*#2263#*#*

Thanks yeah I typed the code with my phone so I missed the last asterisk but you figured it out already.

Llama itself will do nothing until you tell it what to do.
So you need to add a rule within Llama first and then you need to add an action like disable 3G,4G.
Check the doc here: http://kebabapps.blogspot.de/p/llama-handling-guide-instructions.html

In my case the service menu method is working fine nevertheless. Llama would be a fallback only or if you want to have some automatism only (well THEN Llama is a great tool btw).

Have fun

Reactions: madmanzippy

madmanzippy

Mar 19, 2009
FYI
After a week with the captivate, I was reminded just how much of a pain in the butt all this is. I was happy I had BT, however the 4g just won't go away. I think with the pac rom I could at least get that to stay off, but had no BT.
Llama wouldn't stop 4g. I even had it set to ignore the 4g towers it could see, however it seems to have some kind of AI and knows when you have relaxed that you have it sorted, and would then connect to 4g even though it says "ignore". The service menu does the same and even though you go in and check and it says gsm only it will be on 4g and I would have to enable and save it on, then again off.

Also the wireless in this rom seems to take a long time to wake up when you wake phone.

Close but not worth the hassle.

I have just installed a nokia earpiece in my droid 4, and am able to hear again.

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
FYI
After a week with the captivate, I was reminded just how much of a pain in the butt all this is. I was happy I had BT, however the 4g just won't go away. I think with the pac rom I could at least get that to stay off, but had no BT.
Llama wouldn't stop 4g. I even had it set to ignore the 4g towers it could see, however it seems to have some kind of AI and knows when you have relaxed that you have it sorted, and would then connect to 4g even though it says "ignore". The service menu does the same and even though you go in and check and it says gsm only it will be on 4g and I would have to enable and save it on, then again off.

Also the wireless in this rom seems to take a long time to wake up when you wake phone.

I have just installed a nokia earpiece in my droid 4, and am able to hear again.

Well sounds bad and thx for giving feedback nevertheless.

The only thing I want to ask is have you tried sediROM or pacman ROM only? Just wanted to have it clear because I do not know which of the above problems occured with pacman and which not or all of them etc..

cu.

madmanzippy

Mar 19, 2009

The only thing I want to ask is have you tried sediROM or pacman ROM only? Just wanted to have it clear because I do not know which of the above problems occured with pacman and which not or all of them etc..

cu.

All the 4g issues were with the original ics rom and also with sediROM, however I could connect to bt. most of the jellybean and kitkat roms were good in controlling 4g, but would not connect to my bt headsets.

Good work on the sediROM though

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

Hi

Open dialer
    Tap menu 3 (GSM bands)
    Select 1 (All GSM)

All the best

-----
    Hi

Open dialer
    Tap menu 3 (GSM bands)
    Select 1 (All GSM)

All the best

-----

Thanks yeah I typed the code with my phone so I missed the last asterisk but you figured it out already.

Llama itself will do nothing until you tell it what to do.
    So you need to add a rule within Llama first and then you need to add an action like disable 3G,4G.
    Check the doc here: http://kebabapps.blogspot.de/p/llama-handling-guide-instructions.html

In my case the service menu method is working fine nevertheless. Llama would be a fallback only or if you want to have some automatism only (well THEN Llama is a great tool btw).

Have fun
    FYI

cu.

All the 4g issues were with the original ics rom and also with sediROM, however I could connect to bt. most of the jellybean and kitkat roms were good in controlling 4g, but would not connect to my bt headsets.

Good work on the sediROM though