How exactly do I uninstall and reinstall my adb drivers?

Search This thread

Astralogic

Mar 23, 2012
I'm trying to fix the "daemon started successfully" problem, but I don't think I'm uninstalling and re-installing the driver correctly, I just uninstall the device from device manager, then plug the phone back in and let it install.

That must be wrong because it's not working. The program I'm trying to use is xUltiamte2.4 to deodex my phone.

Astralogic

Mar 23, 2012
I'm trying to fix the "daemon started successfully" problem, but I don't think I'm uninstalling and re-installing the driver correctly, I just uninstall the device from device manager, then plug the phone back in and let it install.

That must be wrong because it's not working. The program I'm trying to use is xUltiamte2.4 to deodex my phone.

If anyone has had this problem and fixed can you please tell me how you did it?

Antiga Prime

Sep 25, 2012

Why is that a problem? You want the "daemon" to start successfully, ADB won't work if it doesn't... :confused: If it stays stuck on that, maybe you have some program interfering/using ADB. Maybe you have some other ADB program open (flashtool) or maybe you use Bluestacks; check your running processes for a running "adb.exe" process and kill it, then try again.

Removing the drivers should should work as you're doing it already, but before connecting your phone, you should reinstall the drivers first. Or, once it's installed, manually update the drivers through the Windows "Device Manager", by locating the "sa0105adb.inf" file manually.

It can be extracted from the drivers installer (the one that comes with Flashtool) with 7zip, or you might find it still in your temp folder.

Astralogic

Mar 23, 2012
Why is that a problem? You want the "daemon" to start successfully, ADB won't work if it doesn't... :confused: If it stays stuck on that, maybe you have some program interfering/using ADB. Maybe you have some other ADB program open (flashtool) or maybe you use Bluestacks; check your running processes for a running "adb.exe" process and kill it, then try again.

Removing the drivers should should work as you're doing it already, but before connecting your phone, you should reinstall the drivers first. Or, once it's installed, manually update the drivers through the Windows "Device Manager", by locating the "sa0105adb.inf" file manually.

It can be extracted from the drivers installer (the one that comes with Flashtool) with 7zip, or you might find it still in your temp folder.

Nothing works, isn't there a better way of deodexing then using this stupid program?

Edit: I have a better question. The only reason I want to deodex is so that I can debloat using this guide, that thread already gives me the list of bloatware, isn't there a way I can just go in and manually delete the bloat? Without have to worry about deodexing in order to get the debloat script to run?

Last edited:

WhiteNeo

Feb 13, 2013
Nothing works, isn't there a better way of deodexing then using this stupid program?

Edit: I have a better question. The only reason I want to deodex is so that I can debloat using this guide, that thread already gives me the list of bloatware, isn't there a way I can just go in and manually delete the bloat? Without have to worry about deodexing in order to get the debloat script to run?

Actually you can also debloat your rom while its odexed. At least as long as the framework is not changed.

Just do a backup, then get a root file manager and delete the safe to remove apps and their odex files. Reboot afterwards. ;)

The only reason why the debloat script doesn't support odexed roms ia that the odex files are not deleted during the script. (However, it would be easily possible to add these lines)

Astralogic

Mar 23, 2012
Actually you can also debloat your rom while its odexed. At least as long as the framework is not changed.

Just do a backup, then get a root file manager and delete the safe to remove apps and their odex files. Reboot afterwards. ;)

The only reason why the debloat script doesn't support odexed roms ia that the odex files are not deleted during the script. (However, it would be easily possible to add these lines)

Could you tell me what folder those files are in that I should delete?

Antiga Prime

Sep 25, 2012
Could you tell me what folder those files are in that I should delete?

Well, if you were following that guide you would have seen that practically everything it's deleting is in /system/app:

delete("/system/app/FBCalendarSync.apk"

The odex files are in the same folder, and have the same name aside from the .odex extension.

Then again, that program sometimes has issues; you could always copy the files from /system/app and /system/framework manually without using ADB to the corresponding folders, after starting the program open the Windows Task Manager and kill of the "adb.exe", and the program will continue running and let you deodex the files. Then you'd just have to figure out how to copy them back which is not hard.

Or you could also try a different deodexing program such as Universal Deodexer V4. I've never used any of those since I've deodexed my ROM with dsixda's Rom Kitchen, for which you'd just need to follow the instructions and then copy the resulting files manually (as you'd have to do in the above mentioned example anyway).

Astralogic

Mar 23, 2012
Well, if you were following that guide you would have seen that practically everything it's deleting is in /system/app:

The odex files are in the same folder, and have the same name aside from the .odex extension.

Then again, that program sometimes has issues; you could always copy the files from /system/app and /system/framework manually without using ADB to the corresponding folders, after starting the program open the Windows Task Manager and kill of the "adb.exe", and the program will continue running and let you deodex the files. Then you'd just have to figure out how to copy them back which is not hard.

Or you could also try a different deodexing program such as Universal Deodexer V4. I've never used any of those since I've deodexed my ROM with dsixda's Rom Kitchen, for which you'd just need to follow the instructions and then copy the resulting files manually (as you'd have to do in the above mentioned example anyway).

I don't mean I want to manually deodex, I mean I want to manually debloat, deleting the appropriate APK and ODEX file from /system/app seems easy enough, but what would I delete (if anything) from the /system/framework folder?

Antiga Prime

Sep 25, 2012
I don't mean I want to manually deodex, I mean I want to manually debloat, deleting the appropriate APK and ODEX file from /system/app seems easy enough, but what would I delete (if anything) from the /system/framework folder?

I know, I'm just giving you a solution since that program you're using has always given me issues, and even now, knowing that ADB works, it still get's stuck on that "starting ADB daemon" message.

I'm not trying to be rude, but if you're following the guide you'd have noticed that nothing gets deleted from the framework folder. All it tells you are which apps are safe to remove; whichever apps you do end up removing are up to you. I think the Google Talk app is garbage, but someone else might use it, so debloating is also subjective.

Also, you could just as easily do this with Titanium Backup and actually just freeze the app first in case you're not sure about deleting it.

WhiteNeo

Feb 13, 2013

I know, manually deodexing that way would cause a bootloop because of missing classes.dex files in every system app.

Some people that dont like the preinstalled Sony apps prefer getting rid of all the bloat and remove SemcGenericUXPRes.apk from framework folder.. And some (or most) of the framework jar files beginning with "com.sony..."
This will of course bring noticeable smoothness increases, but is very likely to cause bugs when not done by experienced users.
And it could cause a bootloop on odexed builds as the odex files in system/app do no longer fit to the framework.
Just for information. :D

Astralogic

Mar 23, 2012
I know, manually deodexing that way would cause a bootloop because of missing classes.dex files in every system app.

Some people that dont like the preinstalled Sony apps prefer getting rid of all the bloat and remove SemcGenericUXPRes.apk from framework folder.. And some (or most) of the framework jar files beginning with "com.sony..."
This will of course bring noticeable smoothness increases, but is very likely to cause bugs when not done by experienced users.
And it could cause a bootloop on odexed builds as the odex files in system/app do no longer fit to the framework.
Just for information. :D

I'm just gonna use titaniums backups freeze feature, I never knew it could do that.

I don't suppose someone somewhere has listed which of the com.sony*** files are safe to disable have they?

WhiteNeo

Feb 13, 2013
I'm just gonna use titaniums backups freeze feature, I never knew it could do that.

I don't suppose someone somewhere has listed which of the com.sony*** files are safe to disable have they?

TiBu's freeze doesnt help against some apps. They keep running in background but are no longer shown in Settings or Greenify.

Nope, but you might check any flashable "Xperia Media App port" zip. The more complete, the better.
The files that are included in framework folder are usually safe to remove. :good:

Antiga Prime

Sep 25, 2012
OmniSwitch. ;)
Add it to Greenify first, then freeze it and reboot. Check Greenify main activity and you'll see. :)
Was getting on my nerves for two months, till I finally decided to uninstall it. :D

Well, don't know why you would add it to Greenify first, makes no sense, but nonetheless, you're right. But then again, this might be due to the way OmniSwitch is integrated into OmniRom in order to use it for the Recent Apps switch. I don't remember this happening on Carbon, which also has OmniSwitch without that integration. I'm on Omni right now so I can't verify this.

Astralogic

Mar 23, 2012
In Titanium Backup some apps are red, any idea why?

I'm going to disable two of those com.sony things every morning, but most of them are red.

WhiteNeo

Feb 13, 2013

I'm going to disable two of those com.sony things every morning, but most of them are red.

Most of the framework stuff cannot be disabled, it has to be uninstalled because Dalvik cache would have to be rebuilt when its gone. :)

I suggest trying doenen's heavily debloated 4.3 rom. Or at least having a look at its apps and framework to see what he has removed. :good:

Antiga Prime

Sep 25, 2012

Titanium Backup has a help section which explains the colors. A red colored app means it's a System Service. I'm sure you can open the help section and check out what the other colors mean.

And as @WhiteNeo said, having a look at some other debloated ROM will help you decide what you can remove or not; don't disable or uninstall something just for the sake of disabling it. Find out what it's for and then decide if you need it, or if your Rom needs it in order to function properly.

If it's of any help you can use this as a reference. I made that back when I used to use Stock ROMs :D.

Antiga Prime

Sep 25, 2012
TiBu's freeze doesnt help against some apps. They keep running in background but are no longer shown in Settings or Greenify.

Nope, but you might check any flashable "Xperia Media App port" zip. The more complete, the better.
The files that are included in framework folder are usually safe to remove. :good:

I have yet to see this happen. Maybe you can point me to one example, since I'd like to test this?

OmniSwitch. ;)
Add it to Greenify first, then freeze it and reboot. Check Greenify main activity and you'll see. :)
Was getting on my nerves for two months, till I finally decided to uninstall it. :D

Just confirming that @WhiteNeo is right. Even on Carbon Omniswitch's process is still active even though it's frozen/disabled. It doesn't consume RAM as far as I can tell, but this is odd behavior.

Reactions: WhiteNeo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have yet to see this happen. Maybe you can point me to one example, since I'd like to test this?
    OmniSwitch. ;)

OmniSwitch. ;)

Just confirming that @WhiteNeo is right. Even on Carbon Omniswitch's process is still active even though it's frozen/disabled. It doesn't consume RAM as far as I can tell, but this is odd behavior.