Hardbricked S3, would like to verify options

Search This thread

Zeroftw87

Feb 21, 2014
Hi,

I'm fully aware of how silly it is to be in this situation. I opened a thread thinking it was in the T-Mobile S3 forum and flashed the downloaded ROM. But regardless, I made an unfortunate mistake.

The ROM was Stockdroid 4.4.2 from the i9300 forum on this site. My phone is a T999v S3. Before beginning any flashing, I rooted and ran Odin to install Philz Touch 6 recovery and "T999VVLUEML2_T999VYVLEML2_T999VVLUEML2_HOME.tar.md5". I was bouncing around firmwares looking for something that could fix the "Camera Failed" error (front camera works when charging but not anywhere else, any advice on that would be greatly appreciated), and I guess I lost track of exactly what I was downloading.

Anyway, after flashing the ROM the phone will not boot, and is almost completely unresponsive. The only life I can get out of it is when I connect it to the computer before taking the battery out, then putting it back in. A red light will shine at some point during that. In device manager the S3 is listed as QHSUSB_DLOAD. This leads me to think I can make use of one of the debricking tutorials on this site for the t999v.

The phone is a 16gb model, but I don't have a 16gb card. Before I go out and buy it, I want to know if buying it should solve the problem. I've read the debrick solution will not work with a 2gb card, but I tried anyway with no luck.

If it does work, great. If not, is my only other solution sending the device in for JTAG?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I know this problem has been an impossible amount of times, but I wanted to pose the issue specifying the exact scenario I'm dealing with.

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Yes the De-Brick thread under Developement will/should work. Make sure there is an image for your variant on that thread, before you buy the SD Card.

Once you successfully De-Brick, I will help with the Camera issue. Its pretty easy to fix in most cases.

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
That's correct thread for your Image. Just be sure you grab for T999V. There are other T-Mo variants too.

For the Camera, continue here when done De-Bricking.

Zeroftw87

Feb 21, 2014
Hi, I just got back and loaded the image on a 32GB microsd. The phone booted up just fine!

I followed the rest of the guide and attempted to reinstall the "T999VVLUEML2_T999VYVLEML2_T999VVLUEML2_HOME.tar.md5" file using ODIN, but it failed during the process. What do I do from here? I would like to be able to use the phone without the 32gb card being taken up like this. Should I try installing a 4.3 ROM of some sort?

Edit: Tried it again and the flash was successful. Just about to install a recovery image, but assuming the install went well I'm guessing I am brick-free? Thank you for the help, Perseus71.

I'll update my post if I run into any other problems regarding the brick, but for now what should I be doing with the camera issue?

I've tinkered a bit with the camera firmware with no luck, and have flashed 4.3 stock again with no luck. What should I do to resolve this issue?

Last edited:

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Good to have it back from Brick.

As to Camera, do you still see the Camera Failed issue ? Particularly on the Stock Camera from the 4.3 you just flashed ?

DO NOT use 3rd Party Camera apps until this issue is resolved.

Zeroftw87

Feb 21, 2014
Good to have it back from Brick.

As to Camera, do you still see the Camera Failed issue ? Particularly on the Stock Camera from the 4.3 you just flashed ?

DO NOT use 3rd Party Camera apps until this issue is resolved.

Good to know, I'll refrain from using third party camera apps. And even after flashing the above firmware it says Camera Failed.

The problem started on stock 4.3 before any ROM installing/rooting occurred. I tried the obvious clearing app cache, factory reset and wiping dalvik cache, but no luck. Since then I've been installing different ROMs and Camera Firmwares (ZDFE02, ZDFI02, etc), and moving around and setting permissions for SlimISP bin files. I know the rear works when it's being charged, and that the front camera works just fine. I just don't know what I can do to get it working. I've read that replacing the camera itself may not even fix the problem.

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Yes I'd say wrong firmware is the Cause. Typically when you do Factory Reset, wipe /data and then Flash the complete firmware image in Odin, it should work. Usually it will contain the correct firmware.

So even though you flashed the image as part of De-Brick process, I suggest do the Odin Flash again. Make sure to do Factory Reset first. When finished, boot to Stock Recovery and wipe Dalvik and Cache.

When phone boots, try Camera by itself before you enter your Google account.

Zeroftw87

Feb 21, 2014
Yes I'd say wrong firmware is the Cause. Typically when you do Factory Reset, wipe /data and then Flash the complete firmware image in Odin, it should work. Usually it will contain the correct firmware.

So even though you flashed the image as part of De-Brick process, I suggest do the Odin Flash again. Make sure to do Factory Reset first. When finished, boot to Stock Recovery and wipe Dalvik and Cache.

When phone boots, try Camera by itself before you enter your Google account.

Alright. I flashed the 4.3 image mentioned above with Odin, no problems there. Before flashing I did a dalvik/cache wipe and Factory Reset. When finished, I booted to Stock Recovery, but there was only an option to wipe Cache. Instead I opted to both wipe Cache and do another Factory Reset.

Unfortunately I booted the phone up again, skipping the connect to Internet and Google options, and went directly for the Camera App. I still receive the Camera Failed error.

What should I do from here? Does this mean the Camera itself is faulty? And will replacing it actually solve the problem (or could it be a mainboard issue)?

Also the Camera Firmwares currently on are as follows:

Rear
Camera - ZDFE02
Phone - ZDFI02

Front
Camera & Phone - S5K6A3

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Probably a firmware issue, but could be hardware. ZDFE02 is the version your rear cam is currently using. ZDFI02 is what is included with the firmware build you are currently on. Back on ICS, we could update this ourselves, but Samsung has since locked that down. If you could find a way to write the newer version from Phone to Cam it might help, but i don't know of any way to do this anymore.
You said you've been installing different roms and cam firmwares. How were you going about that?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Perseus

Zeroftw87

Feb 21, 2014
Probably a firmware issue, but could be hardware. ZDFE02 is the version your rear cam is currently using. ZDFI02 is what is included with the firmware build you are currently on. Back on ICS, we could update this ourselves, but Samsung has since locked that down. If you could find a way to write the newer version from Phone to Cam it might help, but i don't know of any way to do this anymore.
You said you've been installing different roms and cam firmwares. How were you going about that?

For ROMs I would simply boot into a custom recovery and flash them, along with kernels, heeding any warning signs in threads. I wouldn't run into any errors, and could swap between 4.3 and 4.4.2 without issues. I didn't extensively test out the ROMs, but it seemed fine.

For Camera Firmware, on a StockMOD 4.3 ROM I dialed *#34971539# to get into the CameraFirmware menu. From there I could write new firmware depending on the SlimISP bin file transferred to the internal root. I can't remember thinking back if the Camera firmware actually changed when I did this, but the Phone firmware did (or maybe vice versa, I'll try again -- I know there was a change after writing).

So I do remember reading you can't downgrade lower than 4.3, that must be true then? If I could go down to ICS I could force the Camera Firmware to change?

What's the target Camera Firmware here? Does it need to be the same as the Phone Firmware (i.e. ZDFI02)?

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
ZDFI02 is newer. You'd need to do the Phone to Cam F/W Write operation.
I also wondering if maybe the files in /system/etc/cameradata folder are the wrong ones. Been a while, but I think that's where you should find some camera files that should match the name if the firmware versions mentioned above.
Maybe some one can confirm this....
I not sure if you flash an ICS rom if it'll work. Might be worth a shot though.

Zeroftw87

Feb 21, 2014
ZDFI02 is newer. You'd need to do the Phone to Cam F/W Write operation.
I also wondering if maybe the files in /system/etc/cameradata folder are the wrong ones. Been a while, but I think that's where you should find some camera files that should match the name if the firmware versions mentioned above.
Maybe some one can confirm this....
I not sure if you flash an ICS rom if it'll work. Might be worth a shot though.

Could I use the ZDFI02 firmware from this thread?

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/general/jb-4-1-2-camera-driver-t2006128

I'll find a way to get the Camera Firmware to ZDFI02 and get back to your both.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
I going to guess that using that would be ok, but I cannot say for sure since it is for the I9300, which is a very different device from ours.

Zeroftw87

Feb 21, 2014
Well, I loaded StockMOD 4.3 back on, and while it enables me to write Camera Firmware (no longer greyed out), the Camera Firmware will not change from ZDFE02 to ZDFI02. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to get around this? Will downgrading to ICS lead me to another brick?

Zeroftw87

Feb 21, 2014
Alright, I've loaded on a 4.0.4 ICS ROM. When I input the *#34971539# code, I get the error "Unfortunately factory test has stopped."

Now that an ICS ROM has been loaded, what is the method for flashing the ZDFI02 firmware to CAM?

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
It was using the dialer code. I guess that since it's an ICS app trying to make changes to your 4.3 firmware it's running into compatibility issues. It sounds like you are doing it correctly, just the versions must be too far apart....apologies for putting you through the hassle of doing all that. It was the best thing I could think to try though. If I think of any other ideas I will certainly let you know. There might be a way to load it using terminal emulator, but I've no idea how you would go about that.
Only other thing would be to try and edit the code of the Factory Test app on 4.3 to enable the Phone to Cam F/W Write option. I had looked into it briefly back on 4.1.2, but Im too much of a novice when it comes to java. I'd still love to know if it's even possible though. We were able to enable JB camera features before the official release by doing the F/W write, so you never know when that could happen again!

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

It's another sort of shot in the dark, but you could try replacing the camera module. Find a YouTube video showing the S3 disassembly, it really not that difficult, and you can find the camera module online fairly cheap.

sh4hin

Jan 18, 2013
t999

hi friends
my s3 sgh-T999 is bricked:crying:
i can access downloading mode but when i try to put phone in recovery mode phone just show robot logo for a second then restart
i tried every solutions(flash recovery,flash stock or any other roms and ...) here but nothing changed
sometime phone boot and some chines words appear with one button !!
*odin 307 detect phone
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2668840&stc=1&d=1396652278
thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.