[Q] Unable to set lock screen behavior in Sacs Custom ROM 4.2.2 Kit-Kat

Search This thread
Jul 25, 2013
Hello,

I am using Sacs Custom ROM 4.2.2 Kit-Kat on Sprint (SPH-L720). Software version, Baseband version, and Build number all reflect NAE.

I don't have enough posts to ask my question in the development thread (and maybe this is a more appropriate venue anyway).

When I go to Settings -> My device -> Lock screen -> Screen lock, every option, except for PIN and Password, is greyed-out with the following message under each option:

Code:
Turned off by administrator, encryption policy or credential storage.

Even though I would prefer to use a Pattern (that option is disabled), if I select one of the available options (PIN or Password), I complete the setup but the Swipe method still applies and anyone can unlock the device with a Swipe gesture. For whatever reason, the method I choose is not effective.

I have done quite a bit of searching-around on this issue, both on these forums and elsewhere, and many of the 4.2.2 ROMs have this problem. Negalite, Slim Bean, and Omega, to name a few. So, I am thinking that perhaps Sacs Custom ROM is no exception and this is a "known issue" on which the devs are already working.

Does anybody know this to be the case?

All of the older threads I've found that mention this problem suggest going to Settings -> More -> Security, and choosing Clear credentials from the bottom of the list. I've tried this and it changes nothing. I have also tried a full Factory Reset, and the problem persists. In fact, I have completely wiped the phone and reinstalled the ROM from scratch and this problem is present from the very first power-on.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to confirm whether or not this is a "known issue" with Sacs Custom ROM 4.2.2 Kit-Kat!

Last edited:

leaderbuilder

Hello,

I am using Sacs Custom ROM 4.2.2 Kit-Kat on Sprint (SPH-L720). Software version, Baseband version, and Build number all reflect NAE.

I don't have enough posts to ask my question in the development thread (and maybe this is a more appropriate venue anyway).

When I go to Settings -> My device -> Lock screen -> Screen lock, every option, except for PIN and Password, is greyed-out with the following message under each option:

Code:

Even though I would prefer to use a Pattern (that option is disabled), if I select one of the available options (PIN or Password), I complete the setup but the Swipe method still applies and anyone can unlock the device with a Swipe gesture. For whatever reason, the method I choose is not effective.

I have done quite a bit of searching-around on this issue, both on these forums and elsewhere, and many of the 4.2.2 ROMs have this problem. Negalite, Slim Bean, and Omega, to name a few. So, I am thinking that perhaps Sacs Custom ROM is no exception and this is a "known issue" on which the devs are already working.

All of the older threads I've found that mention this problem suggest going to Settings -> More -> Security, and choosing Clear credentials from the bottom of the list. I've tried this and it changes nothing. I have also tried a full Factory Reset, and the problem persists. In fact, I have completely wiped the phone and reinstalled the ROM from scratch and this problem is present from the very first power-on.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to confirm whether or not this is a "known issue" with Sacs Custom ROM 4.2.2 Kit-Kat!
Yes it is a know issue. If you did read the threads all the way through you's see that. That question is asked and answered daily in the ROM threads and Q&A. It has to do with the 'Secure Android status' (partition)
There is a possible solution for some, also mentioned in many threads - doing a full NAE tar (or OTA) update then flashing. But, again as mentioned hasn't worked on every single bodies phone (though that of course could be user issues).

Reactions: DrRichardQuack
Jul 25, 2013
Thanks, leaderbuilder. I really appreciate your time. It's nice to see confirmation.

I do try to read through the threads in their entirety, but some threads grow incredibly long. I tried searching the relevant Sacs thread for "Turned off by administrator, encryption policy or credential storage" and no results were returned.

In any case, thanks again! I'll just be patient at this point. :eek:

UPDATE:

So, it was trivial to fix this, at least in my particular case. I took your good advice, leaderbuilder, and kept my eye on the thread for the next time someone raised this issue. The solution that worked for me was this one:

Search please, you didn't do so since the lock screen is an issue that has been around from the beginning. You need to have taken the NAE OTA and then flash the ROM. [...]

Change the following in build.prop found in system folder using a root explorer app. Es file doesnt seem to work so try another.

security.mdpp=none

To

#security.mdpp=none

Reboot and all options should now be avaliable.

I didn't try ES File Explorer -- just went straight to Root Explorer, based on above-cited comments, and it worked perfectly. Now I can select any unlock method I want, and the changes are effective.

UPDATE 2:

I can confirm that this same technique works on Sacs Custom ROM KitKat v3, too.

Last edited:

rubinglen

May 11, 2013
I am trying to fix this problem as well. After editing the file as you suggest, I am unable to save the edit. I tried text editor and ES File Explorer Editor, both yield an 'error saving file' type message. Thanks for any suggestions!

Thanks, leaderbuilder. I really appreciate your time. It's nice to see confirmation.

I do try to read through the threads in their entirety, but some threads grow incredibly long. I tried searching the relevant Sacs thread for "Turned off by administrator, encryption policy or credential storage" and no results were returned.

UPDATE:

So, it was trivial to fix this, at least in my particular case. I took your good advice, leaderbuilder, and kept my eye on the thread for the next time someone raised this issue. The solution that worked for me was this one:

I didn't try ES File Explorer -- just went straight to Root Explorer, based on above-cited comments, and it worked perfectly. Now I can select any unlock method I want, and the changes are effective.

UPDATE 2:

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

Ok, I played around in ES File Explorer and figured it out. In the side menu a short press will turn 'Root Explorer' option on and a longer press will give you access to Root Explorer's sub-menus. That allows you to mount r/w and select /system, before editing the file.

I am trying to fix this problem as well. After editing the file as you suggest, I am unable to save the edit. I tried text editor and ES File Explorer Editor, both yield an 'error saving file' type message. Thanks for any suggestions!

getnrdone

Aug 26, 2011
Has anyone else had the issue where the home button no longer takes you back to "home"? This is driving me crazy and I cant seem to find a fix anywhere. Others have asked but nobody seems to have an answer that i can find.

I am running sacs v3 with KT kernel. Nova launcher.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UPDATE:

Search please, you didn't do so since the lock screen is an issue that has been around from the beginning. You need to have taken the NAE OTA and then flash the ROM. [...]

Change the following in build.prop found in system folder using a root explorer app. Es file doesnt seem to work so try another.

security.mdpp=none

To

#security.mdpp=none

Reboot and all options should now be avaliable.

UPDATE 2:

Hello,

Code:

Yes it is a know issue. If you did read the threads all the way through you's see that. That question is asked and answered daily in the ROM threads and Q&A. It has to do with the 'Secure Android status' (partition)
    There is a possible solution for some, also mentioned in many threads - doing a full NAE tar (or OTA) update then flashing. But, again as mentioned hasn't worked on every single bodies phone (though that of course could be user issues).