[GINGERBREAD] Android 2.3 port from SDK for hero.

Search This thread

tenfar

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 16, 2007
Beijing
www.tenfar.com
HI all,

just do a quick port.you can run android 2.3 GINGERBREAD on your Hero now.
but with many many not working hardware.

you can use this as a demo to exprence the UI improvement on android 2.3

the screenshot is in Chinese but the ROM is full language.

not working:
wifi
data/radio
almost all...what a pitty...
but i will do my best to make it work.

hope your guys like it.

Originally Posted by shaverdoff
some people of friendly site 4pda.ru try to flash this rom and have error.. question to author of topic - how you flash it on you device? via m-recovery 162?
I am too lazy to sign the zip file. please sign it before you flash it.in other way you can use ClockWorkMod recovery to flash this pacakge .ClockworkMod Recovery will not verify the signature.

http://bbs.goapk.com/thread-41684-1-1.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/435455200/update_signed.zip

1.png2.png4.png3.png
5.png6.png7.png11.png

Last edited:

robtue

Jan 13, 2007
Thanks Tenfar but my Chinese isn't good enough to sign up and it seems a bit too much effort to learn for a incomplete taster. Looks interesting though.

brat.haneq

Jul 5, 2010
hi there!
Gingerbread with flykernel :D
epic!
I recon that if vanila roms had all hardware operational, perhaps with gingerbread it will be the same.
With regards
brat.haneq

Slugbug

Sep 22, 2010
Awesome! Too bad it's in chinese. But I'll consider flashing it to have a look. ;)

MiniDolan

Nov 18, 2009
Newcastle
Ill definitely flash :D just not now. At college with 10% battery left :p why do all the good things happen when I'm stuck here :p

Sent from my HTC Hero using XDA App

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
I can try and get the English one posted up, but it's not gonna be supported or likely ever updated. More something to look at, gaze at, and uninstall :D

vido.ardes

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 22, 2008
UK
To be honest, as nice as it is to see gingerbread running as a proof of concept, I am not sure anyone will bother completing the port.

Don't take this as an attack on the devs, who have done a miraculous job of keeping the Hero relevant in a world of 3.7"+ screens and 1GHz processors. The Hero is just getting too long in the tooth now, and the hardware was very quickly outdated. Most of the people who bought one when it came out will be nearing the end of their contracts (mine is up next March) and I can't see it surviving as long as the G1 did simply because the hardware didn't rely on locked down proprietary drivers like the Hero does.

It was quickly ignored by HTC and superseded by devices of the Nexus spec, and I can't see it being able to cope much longer. It would be a really nice swan song for it to get 2.3 though, nice way to draw a line under it development. I hope someone proves me wrong and there are still talented devs with Hero's as daily devices, but as far as I can tell most of them (if not all) have moved on to bigger and better devices, and who can blame them?

EDIT: I will look at using the framework-res to create a theme for our hero's so we can at least pretend we have Gingerbread ;)

Reactions: yellasrichand

Keefo

Jan 9, 2007
im pretty damn positive someone WILL make a decent port of Gingerbread.

Only a mater of time... lol

shaverdoff

Nov 26, 2010
some people of friendly site 4pda.ru try to flash this rom and have error.. question to author of topic - how you flash it on you device? via m-recovery 162?

have a bug then try to flash

E:Wrong digest: META-INF/com/google/android/update-script
E:Verification Failed

Last edited:

tenfar

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 16, 2007
Beijing
www.tenfar.com

I am too lazy to sign the zip file. please sign it before you flash it.in other way you can use ClockWorkMod recovery to flash this pacakge .ClockworkMod Recovery will not verify the signature.

vido.ardes

Aug 22, 2008
UK
If someone upload the file, I will sign it. I can't seem to sign up to the forum so I can't download it.

EDIT: OK so I got signed up, where is the download link?

EDIT2: Found it! Gimme 15 min to download and I will upload a signed version

Last edited:

shaverdoff

Nov 26, 2010

thanks for rapidly answer but for me is not good idea to flash another recovery.... fix my opinion if i'am wrong

vido.ardes

Aug 22, 2008
UK
I've downloaded it, signed it and flashed it and it works, I am uploading to rapidshare now

EDIT: I wouldn't get too excited about it, not only does nothing work (not even USB so I can't sideload anything), but it is laggy as hell. I will try and rip the resources from it though

EDIT2: Here is the signed version http://rapidshare.com/files/435455200/update_signed.zip

Last edited:

Keefo

Jan 9, 2007
with your permition i can upload to my server too, no waiting, and nice and fast.

Unlimited bandwidth to burn! haha

Grindboy

Jul 12, 2007
Plymouth
OnePlus 7T
Blimey! Nice to see that it even runs! (I'm guessing its 3.0 not 2.3 which is going to have super stringent hardware requirements)

I do agree with l0st.prophet though. I bought my Hero sim free and I've made a deal with myself and my bank account that I won't upgrade until it's totally obselete. With 2.2 and Google decentralising updates to the OS the Hero should last a bit longer (Hopefully long enough for me to finish my degree and get a job!)

I would love a 2.3 theme though as the look and feel of the new OS is just more pleasent.

I7V

Jul 21, 2010
can u please upload it on an other server rather than rapidshare

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HI all,

just do a quick port.you can run android 2.3 GINGERBREAD on your Hero now.
    but with many many not working hardware.

you can use this as a demo to exprence the UI improvement on android 2.3

the screenshot is in Chinese but the ROM is full language.

not working:
    wifi
    data/radio
    almost all...what a pitty...
    but i will do my best to make it work.

hope your guys like it.

Originally Posted by shaverdoff

http://bbs.goapk.com/thread-41684-1-1.html
    http://rapidshare.com/files/435455200/update_signed.zip

1.png2.png4.png3.png
    5.png6.png7.png11.png
    To be honest, as nice as it is to see gingerbread running as a proof of concept, I am not sure anyone will bother completing the port.

Don't take this as an attack on the devs, who have done a miraculous job of keeping the Hero relevant in a world of 3.7"+ screens and 1GHz processors. The Hero is just getting too long in the tooth now, and the hardware was very quickly outdated. Most of the people who bought one when it came out will be nearing the end of their contracts (mine is up next March) and I can't see it surviving as long as the G1 did simply because the hardware didn't rely on locked down proprietary drivers like the Hero does.

It was quickly ignored by HTC and superseded by devices of the Nexus spec, and I can't see it being able to cope much longer. It would be a really nice swan song for it to get 2.3 though, nice way to draw a line under it development. I hope someone proves me wrong and there are still talented devs with Hero's as daily devices, but as far as I can tell most of them (if not all) have moved on to bigger and better devices, and who can blame them?

EDIT: I will look at using the framework-res to create a theme for our hero's so we can at least pretend we have Gingerbread ;)
    I just gave it a go and it's not too bad apart from the fact there's no data/wifi etc.
    I didn't do a wipe so all my apps came up fine and Launcher Pro was working too.
    It's pretty laggy as you can imagine but not as bad as I thought it would be and you do get those cool little animations when you get to the top of a list (the yellow/orange glow) but the screen off animation doesn't seem to be working.

There is a new downloads application which is pretty good to see your latest downloads but for now i'm back to CM6.1.
    There are other gingerbread rom with everything working! Why you want to try this??

Because he's one of these junior memers with 5 posts but an old account who are able to post in dev sections -.-"

Go and get Elelinux or OMFGB! this one here is dead.