How to Promote Android Apps?

Search This thread

the_main_app

Sep 26, 2011
Hi, I'm a new app developer and I recently published my first app on the android market. Unfortunently I'm not getting any downloads besides those from friends. I've tried posted in app development forums like this one but that did not create an downloads. I also tried running an admob campaign and that did not create any downloads. I've been reading through the forums here and at other sites and it seems people won't download unless you have reviews and other people downloading. If others won't download because no downloads then nobody will download. I would really appreciate any advice. I'm not expecting or hoping for 10000 + downloads but I was hoping for at least 5 downloads since it's been almost 3 weeks now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: Richa Shaily

weeeeeww

Jan 15, 2011
go to smaller android blogs and ask them to review it. create youtube video and show how it works

msummer

Jul 17, 2012
Submit your app to http://50bestandroidapps.com/

Submit your app to 50bestandroidapps.com
It's a good web site to get your apps promoted.
:fingers-crossed:

SachinShekhar

Jul 15, 2012
Sachin.at
Hi, I'm a new app developer and I recently published my first app on the android market. Unfortunently I'm not getting any downloads besides those from friends. I've tried posted in app development forums like this one but that did not create an downloads. I also tried running an admob campaign and that did not create any downloads. I've been reading through the forums here and at other sites and it seems people won't download unless you have reviews and other people downloading. If others won't download because no downloads then nobody will download. I would really appreciate any advice. I'm not expecting or hoping for 10000 + downloads but I was hoping for at least 5 downloads since it's been almost 3 weeks now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Increase SEO of app..
In app details, enter large no. of keywords related with the app. Also, enter name of other similar popular apps as keyword.

It'll not just increase visibility in built-in search results, but also on external search engines and curators!

droidappoftheday

Sep 8, 2012
I might be able to help?

If you are looking to get your app promoted, I actually own and operate a website called Droid App of the Day, so if you would like a free app review visit my site (I cant post links as am a new member). A google search won't fail you!

Reactions: yglup

ftore

Mar 5, 2013
Seoul

Hello friend, I have the same problem as you! I also have a new android app, but cannot promote it properly. Could you please, share your experience on promoting your app. It would be interesting not only for me :) Good luck!

anton1981

Mar 21, 2013
Minsk
Few words about google play app pronotion

Empirically, I determined that a new application has to be seen through search Google play. Search is all that we have without money for a marketing campaign.
Therefore,application should be optimized in the following order:
  1. Application name in google play. This name may be different from the name displayed on the desktop device. The application name contains 30 characters, they should contain the main application keywords.
  2. Description of the application must be clear and also contain keywords.
  3. Attractive icons are very important.
  4. The application must be beautiful and functional. No need to buy a device for $ 300-500 and install an ugly app. People want a beautiful application.
  5. Publication of forums mentioned above.

Cubeactive

Jan 29, 2013
www.cubeactive.com
Well if you don't mind paying for installations try appbrain. It features an option to pay per installation, for a small number of installations you can go as low as 0,20 per installation. They only allow to promote free apps though, and if your income is from ads you will probably not get your money back.

Other options are going to forums and telling the users about your app. Or contact review blogs. Appeggs usally posts good apps, or try app of the day blogs. But make sure your app is ready for the big public or else you might just end up getting bad reviews,

RED_

Jan 5, 2011
London
So keywords actually do stuff then? I only tried it in one app, I didn't tell anyone I built or released the app. Not even one or two people and admittedly it has had 200 downloads.

I thought it didn't really do anything. Think I have to add keywords to all my apps descs now.

ashishpdme

Mar 18, 2013
Advertising is one option, the other is to advertise your app on various forums, facebook groups. Making youtube video is also a good practice. It avoids you negative reviews as user has already been aware of all app features.

Yordi Pauptit

Jun 10, 2012
First of all, I want to say that I have no experience in promoting Android apps. But I did some work in promoting websites for businesses, and I can suggest some things.

Key is a having a functional app. If users download an app which is half done and has disabled functions because they aren't done yet, they are going to uninstall it. Second suggestion, a great design is makes a difference for a lot of people whether they're going to install it or not.

When you have both those things, you can get on with actually promoting the app. I would search for an SEO copywriter to get the description for your app. SEO copywriters are specialized in optimizing texts for Google. And I would look into advertising on Facebook. I think you can actually promote your apps, and advertise only on phones. This way your advertisement will only be showed to people who are using Facebook on their phone. User will probably more tempted to install the app.

Last edited:

obscurant1st

Dec 24, 2010
Bangalore
coolfacts.in
My app is now having more 1600+ downloads! I am planning to do a major update which might increase the app exposure! :D

EDIT: I would like everyone to know that I have started a free review service, so if anyone in the process of promoting thier android app, they could consider requesting a free review from me! :)

Last edited:

Openmind_Ntwks

May 8, 2013
App promotion

Thanks for all the interesting links and posts on app marketing ideas. We're a new app developer & in the same boat.

It seems that App Store Optimisation along with submissions to as many review sites as possible are good starting points. We started looking at pre launch strategies as well focusing on building up some marketing steam.

Check out pre apps. It's a pretty interesting idea. We also submitted to any app dev competitions and as many journalists as we could. Paid reviews are worth a look at as well if you can scrape a few 100 bucks together but make sure the site has traffic

dinamotxt dot com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This blog post documents my experience in App Marketing

This blog post documents my experience in App Marketing

http://karim-ouda.blogspot.com/2012/05/android-app-marketing-dumping-my.html
    I have wrote this guide for people like me. I have wrote almost everything I tried when I was promoting my app.

http://obscurant1st.biz/blog/how-to-promote-android-app/

Increase SEO of app..
    In app details, enter large no. of keywords related with the app. Also, enter name of other similar popular apps as keyword.

It'll not just increase visibility in built-in search results, but also on external search engines and curators!
    Create a campaign (which not means admob)

By my experience you need prepare your "campaign" before publishing your app on Google Play, to start every possible channels at once. This can create a "snow ball" effect and help with startup your app.

Your app will be 30 days in New App category, there you have a chance get place in top positions.

At the same time try:
    1) ask all your testers, friends, family to download and rate your app
    2) create a interesting/funny video on Youtube, send it through Twitter, Facebook to your friends and ask them to share
    3) create "press release" with all important informations and uniqueness of your app, send it to Android App related servers
    4) short info about releasing the app put in all posible announcement forums
    5) keep tracking of published info and reviews and put them back to twitter/facebook/...

During the first 30 days you can get some downloads, everything after that will be much harder.
    Goog luck.
    Few words about google play app pronotion

Empirically, I determined that a new application has to be seen through search Google play. Search is all that we have without money for a marketing campaign.
    Therefore,application should be optimized in the following order:
    1. Application name in google play. This name may be different from the name displayed on the desktop device. The application name contains 30 characters, they should contain the main application keywords.
    2. Description of the application must be clear and also contain keywords.
    3. Attractive icons are very important.
    4. The application must be beautiful and functional. No need to buy a device for $ 300-500 and install an ugly app. People want a beautiful application.
    5. Publication of forums mentioned above.