[HOW TO][EASY] ODEX your rom, make your phone faster!

Did this mod work for you? Click what ROM to help me and others!

• Total voters
Search This thread

The_F_Word

Dec 6, 2010
This rom was not om the op but has anyone tried this on darthstalker v8?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

The_F_Word

Dec 6, 2010
Thanks for sharing bro.... I was just about to do it too

tennisjunkie

Dec 18, 2010
Tampa
I have the Verizon S3 and was wondering if this can be used on a rom on that phone? Ty

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

eggydrums

Dec 13, 2010
Hey guys does this work on frosty? I have no themes installed and using stock kernel

seanvree

Jan 7, 2009
Seattle
Samsung Galaxy S10e
I tried this on Wicked's JB V.7 ROM and it didn't work. I launched the app and it reboots the phone, but nothing happens after. Maybe the Kernel. I'm using Wicked's new kernel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

indnracn2

Apr 29, 2007
The phone rebooted and went dark for 2-3 minutes. I was about to hit the power button but it came to life with the Samsung logo, then eventually went to the Upgrading screen. It counted up through all 84 apps and then booted into Android.
The System/app folder is full of .odex files!
Rom is here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1991255

Question: If I upgrade a system app like Gmail or Maps, do I need to re-odex?

Thanks,
Steve

Confirmed works on Frosty for me. Interesting enought I almost did the same went black for about 3 mins or so about to just pull battery and the dang thing turned on wow... got me scared for a moment there.. woohoo.

indnracn2

Apr 29, 2007
S3 on tmobile... Can't tell really if there is any improvement only caveat is that I flashed frosty rom and then did the ODEX so not sure if this made any difference. I guess I should have flashed rom and then played with it for a few days and then tried ODEXing it ... however I can confirm atleast my phone is not hosed =}

droidsung

Dec 18, 2012
Confirmed working on Darthstalker S3 Edition Version X with XOne V2 kernel.

Tip: Patience pays. If the screen goes blank after the initial reboot for more than 5 minutes, don't fret. It WILL reboot the second time and you'll be greeted with the "Android Upgrading" message.

Hope this helps for whoever is on the Darthstalker Rom!

Cheers. Hit Thanks if i helped :)

sombionix

Retired Forum Mod
Nov 20, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
Thank you, I'm glad someone finally brought this topic up. I have no idea why everyone uses deodexed roms. Odexed roms will offer you better performance and battery life. There are only two advantages to deodexed roms which most of you will not utilize anyway. The obvious being the reduction in rom size. However, no matter the size, as long as it is able to flash to your phone, it will perform the same regardless. The second purpose to use a deodexed rom is to perform easier app modifications. Lets bee honest though, the average user will never have to worry about that. Overall, if you have no intentions to modify your apps, go with an odexed rom. Unfortunately, I doubt you'll find one on these forums aside from a stock rom. Hmmm...maybe I'll whip something up for fun.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As some of you may know, odexed roms offer better battery life and superior performance compared to deodexed roms, but the one drawback is that they're harder to mod. I was looking for a odexed rom (coming from the HTC One X, almost all stock roms were odexed, so I expected the same, lol) but couldn't find a single one. So I went on a search to find a script or something to odex the rom I was using, and I came across this!

"Odex Me" by Paulobrien! Here's the link to the original thread, all credit goes to him! :good:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1215271

Now here's where my part comes in, my step-by-step guide!

This will work on ANY DEODEXED ROM, I'm compiling a list of confirmed ones however for you guys that are weary of this. :)

*Use this only AFTER you've made any changes to the framework or flashed .zips that change the framework.*

First and foremost, make a backup! You should always do this before messing with system files! :)

1) Make sure you have a rooted rom, without root the app won't do much but install.
    2) Allow "Unknown sources" by going into Settings > Security > and scroll down.
    3) Download the .apk either down below, or from the link above.
    4) Install as a normal app.
    5) Open the app, make sure you give it root access, and it will run.
    6) Let it run, it will reboot your phone, take around 5-10 minutes, and then reboot again. You will be greeted by "Android is upgrading" which means its rebuilding your dalvik cache.
    7) Once its at the lock screen, done! You can make sure it did its job by using a file explorer with root access (I use Root Browser, if that helps) and go to the root of your phone's memory, go to system > app, and you should see a bunch of "appnamehere".odex files.

You will see a noticeable increase in performance with all the system apps like Messaging, Phone, Browser, etc. And because all the base apps are now odexed, you will also see an increase in battery life as well.

List of ROMs confirmed working
    FreeGS3 R6 (confirmed by me, using it currently)
    Intrigue ROM
    Crimson v4
    Wicked v2 (confirmed by as well, check post #48 for screen shots)

Let me know if you think there's a way to make the guide more clear, or add some information in. I will also try and answer all questions you may have! Enjoy this, its truly amazing! :D

If you're having issues with it not odexing on ANY rom, try using the Trinity kernel. I've tested every rom with Morfic's kernel and it works flawlessly. Don't forget to thank him for his work! :good:
    Trinity Kernel, use the latest #46 release for best results and speed.

Please, if it worked for you, let us know what rom you're running so others can be assured that it works! :)

Here are some sources that explain the benefits of odexing in more technical and specific terms. :)
    Difference between odexing and deodexing Q/A
    Rootandandroid short article on odexing
    XDA TV Episode which explains the benefits of odexing
    Thank you, I'm glad someone finally brought this topic up. I have no idea why everyone uses deodexed roms. Odexed roms will offer you better performance and battery life. There are only two advantages to deodexed roms which most of you will not utilize anyway. The obvious being the reduction in rom size. However, no matter the size, as long as it is able to flash to your phone, it will perform the same regardless. The second purpose to use a deodexed rom is to perform easier app modifications. Lets bee honest though, the average user will never have to worry about that. Overall, if you have no intentions to modify your apps, go with an odexed rom. Unfortunately, I doubt you'll find one on these forums aside from a stock rom. Hmmm...maybe I'll whip something up for fun.
    To everyone with Wicked ROM, I'll be using my backup Nokia Lumia 710 as a phone and then see how I can get it to work on wicked, just for your guys. :)

Sent from my sexy white Galaxy S3 on T-Mobile ;)
    Why does it give better battery life? Thank you.
    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Because it splits the .apk (app package) into two parts, the .apk and a .odex file. Usually, for the phone to use an app, it has to decompile the .apk and get the parts it needs to run the app. With the odex files, which stands for "Optimized Dex" the startup time is much faster since the phone doesn't have to perform any optimizing at startup/runtime, and because of that, it also uses less CPU power, and thus makes it faster, smoother, and battery life is increased. :)

Looks Great! Thanks for posting this! :cool:
    Thanks man! I found it and couldn't help but share. :D
    will the odex work on xquizit v16 ?? stock kernel... none custom ones are stable as of yet

Yes, there and working