[Q] Can I still flash files under KNOX?

Search This thread

iBismuth

Mar 5, 2014
Minneapolis
Just various different questions on if I could or couldn't do under the KNOX firmware.

Yes I've read around but unfortunately most information regarding 4.3 fw and knox are
in other device threads ( Specifically on how to work around KNOX when flashing).

I've also read thorough and around CNexus's thread regarding FAQ on KNOX.
These questions are more info for me whether to decide if I can flash different kernels or
AOSP based roms specifically on d2spr. I want a device having better stability and great battery life.
I could care less regarding tripping the counter or warranties as long as I can use my device and
not have to spend so much time charging the battery or turning it off completely because it's being a prick.

So onto my first set of questions, it's regarding stock TW firmware.
( Shout out and thanks to K1mu for I used his rooting method. )

Can I install custom recoveries or will KNOX not let me do that?
If I can, could I flash kernels or will KNOX not allow me to?
And if I can, will KNOX make the device unstable under the custom kernel?
By unstable i mean FC apps, Apps that require root will not work properly, etc.
-
My second set of questions is regarding flashing AOSP under KNOX.

As the above stated about recoveries, Can I still flash AOSP based roms under the knox bootloader?
And will I be able to have a custom kernel on AOSP?

I'm currently fully stock TW MK3 with latest firmware and after doing a lot of digging regarding knox.
I'm kinda stuck at the moment, For now, i'm just rooted.

Any replies on this is much appreciated.

-iB

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
You can flash anything, including a custom recovery, if you have Knox. The only thing you can't do is Odin a previous version of Android. If you you flash anything in Odin lower than 4.3 then the bootloader is being overwritten and that's when Knox turns your phone into a paperweight.

Reactions: iBismuth

iBismuth

Mar 5, 2014
Minneapolis
You can flash anything, including a custom recovery, if you have Knox. The only thing you can't do is Odin a previous version of Android. If you you flash anything in Odin lower than 4.3 then the bootloader is being overwritten and that's when Knox turns your phone into a paperweight.

Thanks for replying metalfan78.

I know downgrading the bootloader will superbrick the device.
Just wanted to know if a custom ROM or kernel would run stable under the Knox bootloader. Because there's no issues regarding that here as seeing issues on other device threads about Knox and flashing other ROMs / kernels.

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
The Knox bootloader should have no effect on rom/kernel. I haven't seen any correlation being discussed here. All custom roms have that crap removed.

flynhawn2002

Feb 24, 2012
Just various different questions on if I could or couldn't do under the KNOX firmware.

Yes I've read around but unfortunately most information regarding 4.3 fw and knox are
in other device threads ( Specifically on how to work around KNOX when flashing).

These questions are more info for me whether to decide if I can flash different kernels or
AOSP based roms specifically on d2spr. I want a device having better stability and great battery life.
I could care less regarding tripping the counter or warranties as long as I can use my device and
not have to spend so much time charging the battery or turning it off completely because it's being a prick.

-

As the above stated about recoveries, Can I still flash AOSP based roms under the knox bootloader?

I'm currently fully stock TW MK3 with latest firmware and after doing a lot of digging regarding knox.

-iB

Just remove the KNOX apps as this may cause issues with superSU. Yes, you can flash AOSP ROMs under the KNOX bootloader.

Any reason you want to keep KNOX?

Reactions: iBismuth

flynhawn2002

Feb 24, 2012
Ahhh....now worries. Just remove KNOX, root your phone and flash as much AOSP as you can! Good Luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-

-iB

Just remove the KNOX apps as this may cause issues with superSU. Yes, you can flash AOSP ROMs under the KNOX bootloader.

Any reason you want to keep KNOX?