[Q] Nexus 5 Soft-Bricked ! Please Help :( (Locked Bootloader, Stock Recovery)

Search This thread

BBThumbHealer

Feb 22, 2011
Delhi-NCR
Hello Guys,

I'm now in deep deep trouble as my Nexus 5 has got soft bricked and now stuck in a bootloop. Yesterday evening i unrooted my device, flashed everything to stock and locked the bootloader back because i was getting a really awful battery life upon rooting. Hence thought of reverting to stock. So flashed the stock image of 4.4.2 and setup my phone just like it came from a factory. Only thing i did this time was disable some Google Apps i.e Play News, Games & Magazines, Movies etc. Till midnight it was working too good with only a marginal battery drain on idle i.e 1% in 2 hrs or so.

Today morning when i woke up, i just entered the PIN code and unlocked the homescreen and then it just got stuck. I restarted my device and since then, its just stuck in a bootloop and whenever the phone tries to restart the OS, its gives numerous errors all related to Play sErvices and something like android.process.acore and Media.

I tried to factory reset by going through the stock recovery but even in that it gives the errors " Failed to mount /cache" and "Failed to mount /cache/recovery" with invalid arguments in the brackets.

Now i can't even flash stock as the Bootloader is in Locked State. I'm able to flash unlock Bootloader but when it asks to restart "fastboot reboot", it again gets stuck on the Google Play services error resulting again in locked state. That leaves me with a LOCKED BOOTLOADER, STOCK RECOVERY & NO USB DEBUGGING ENABLED.

What can i do now to get my device working people ? Feel like :crying: since its happened. Moreover, i can't RMA it as I'm now in a different country from where the phone wasn't purchased.

Aviatar2

Feb 13, 2014
Hello Guys,

I'm now in deep deep trouble as my Nexus 5 has got soft bricked and now stuck in a bootloop. Yesterday evening i unrooted my device, flashed everything to stock and locked the bootloader back because i was getting a really awful battery life upon rooting. Hence thought of reverting to stock. So flashed the stock image of 4.4.2 and setup my phone just like it came from a factory. Only thing i did this time was disable some Google Apps i.e Play News, Games & Magazines, Movies etc. Till midnight it was working too good with only a marginal battery drain on idle i.e 1% in 2 hrs or so.

Today morning when i woke up, i just entered the PIN code and unlocked the homescreen and then it just got stuck. I restarted my device and since then, its just stuck in a bootloop and whenever the phone tries to restart the OS, its gives numerous errors all related to Play sErvices and something like android.process.acore and Media.

I tried to factory reset by going through the stock recovery but even in that it gives the errors " Failed to mount /cache" and "Failed to mount /cache/recovery" with invalid arguments in the brackets.

Now i can't even flash stock as the Bootloader is in Locked State. I'm able to flash unlock Bootloader but when it asks to restart "fastboot reboot", it again gets stuck on the Google Play services error resulting again in locked state. That leaves me with a LOCKED BOOTLOADER, STOCK RECOVERY & NO USB DEBUGGING ENABLED.

What can i do now to get my device working people ? Feel like :crying: since its happened. Moreover, i can't RMA it as I'm now in a different country from where the phone wasn't purchased.
I had the same problem.
just download this :
http://liciousroms.com/nexus5_restore.html
and do this instructions :

INSTRUCTIONS::
1) Download and install DRIVERS
2) Download and extract Nexus_5_KOT49H_Restore.zip,
3) Turn on your phone, and connect your phone to the computer (make sure you have USB Debugging enabled on the tablet)
4) Open up folder where you extracted the Nexus_5_KOT49H_Restore.zip
5) Double Click on the "Recovery_Nexus7.bat" and follow the instructions,,,,it really is that easy! (watch video and follow along)
6) If your phone will not boot and you need to restore, boot your phone into fastboot (volume down and power) and click the "Dead_Nexus5.bat" file found in the folder
2) Download and extract Nexus_5_KOT49H_Restore.zip,
3) Turn on your phone, and connect your phone to the computer (make sure you have USB Debugging enabled on the tablet)
4) Open up folder where you extracted the Nexus_5_KOT49H_Restore.zip
5) Double Click on the "Recovery_Nexus7.bat" and follow the instructions,,,,it really is that easy! (watch video and follow along)
6) If your phone will not boot and you need to restore, boot your phone into fastboot (volume down and power) and click the "Dead_Nexus5.bat" file found in the folder

BBThumbHealer

Feb 22, 2011
Delhi-NCR
Read this:

And try suggested instruction. You don't even need to boot into OS.

The tool specifically asks for Unlocked Bootloader and like i've already mentioned, its in a lock state. To unlock that, i need to have USB debugging enabled which i can't enable as i'm not able to even see the lockscreen, just stuck in a bootloop. :crying: I'm able to launch the Fastboot Mode and also partially unlock the bootloader but as soon as i type the command "fastboot reboot", the device again goes into bootloop starting the cycle again

Any more suggestions guys or should i assume my Nexus to be a paperweight ?:(

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
The tool specifically asks for Unlocked Bootloader and like i've already mentioned, its in a lock state. To unlock that, i need to have USB debugging enabled which i can't enable as i'm not able to even see the lockscreen, just stuck in a bootloop. :crying: I'm able to launch the Fastboot Mode and also partially unlock the bootloader but as soon as i type the command "fastboot reboot", the device again goes into bootloop starting the cycle again

Go to the stock recovery and format cache.. Do it a couple of times till the /cache errors go away and then go to the bootloader and flash the stock factory images again. After flashing the stock images, don't boot it up, head over to the stock recovery and perform a factory reset and then reboot!

Rip95

Aug 2, 2013
The tool specifically asks for Unlocked Bootloader and like i've already mentioned, its in a lock state. To unlock that, i need to have USB debugging enabled which i can't enable as i'm not able to even see the lockscreen, just stuck in a bootloop. I'm able to launch the Fastboot Mode and also partially unlock the bootloader but as soon as i type the command "fastboot reboot", the device again goes into bootloop starting the cycle again
You can use command in fastboot "fastboot oem unlock" to unlock then reboot in fastboot again, and try this instruction (since you unlocked you should be able to do this).

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd

Here:

(BTW you dont have to reboot after bl unlock.
fastboot oem unlock
then flash stock images iwhtout reboot)

BBThumbHealer

Feb 22, 2011
Delhi-NCR
Here:

(BTW you dont have to reboot after bl unlock.
fastboot oem unlock
then flash stock images iwhtout reboot)

Bitdomo tried you awesome tool which gave me a slight hope that could revive my Nexus but sadly it didn't :crying: Memory size is matched 32G but userdata erase fails and at last the Download FAIL error is there :( I just don't know what is preventing the Cache and User Data to erase. Same is the case in Stock Recovery as well.

Can you please get me a solution on this. Would be highly obliged :good:

What? USB Debugging doesn't have to be enabled. Bootloader unlocking is done from fastboot via 'fastboot oem unlock'.

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
Bitdomo tried you awesome tool which gave me a slight hope that could revive my Nexus but sadly it didn't :crying: Memory size is matched 32G but userdata erase fails and at last the Download FAIL error is there :( I just don't know what is preventing the Cache and User Data to erase. Same is the case in Stock Recovery as well.

unlock bootloader: fastboot oem unlock DONT restart
download twrp recovery
boot twrp recovery: fastboot boot path_to_twrp_recovery.img
wait until it boots up, if the phone restarts try again.
in wipe settings select format data type yes then ok, if it winished slide the bar to factory reset.
and in cmd terminal type: adb shell then cat /proc/partitions and post the a screenshot about that.

Reactions: BBThumbHealer

BBThumbHealer

Feb 22, 2011
Delhi-NCR
download twrp recovery
in wipe settings select format data type yes then ok, if it winished slide the bar to factory reset.
and in cmd terminal type: adb shell then cat /proc/partitions and post the a screenshot about that.

Successfully unlocked bootloader finally and installed TWRP. Booted in TWRP and performed Data Wipe and it failed. Again unable to mount /cache /persist /data etc commands showed. Then it tried formatting using make_ext4fs function but it failed. Swiped for a factory reset and it failed.

Used your ADB command afterwards and it displayed first daemon started successfully on port 5037 and then error in cmd : device not found.

What next ?

EDIT : Just noticed on the TWRP screen that my internal storage space is being shown as Zero (0) MB :eek: Now does this means my flash storage has died ? If that's the case and i need to RMA it, how to relock the bootloader , reset tamper flag and load stock recovery so that google doesn't cause any warranty issues. Please help me in that case as well.

EDIT 2 : Using fastboot, tried flash stock cache.img and userdata.img, it failed. When i flash system.img it went through perfectly. Also, got to know that the steps which you mentioned earlier, TWRP was booted temporarily and bootloader was unlocked temporarily. So does this means i don't need to relock or flash back something ? And, if i've unlocked and relocked the bootloader numerous times, how do i reset tamper flag ?

Last edited:

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Successfully unlocked bootloader finally and installed TWRP. Booted in TWRP and performed Data Wipe and it failed. Again unable to mount /cache /persist /data etc commands showed. Then it tried formatting using make_ext4fs function but it failed. Swiped for a factory reset and it failed.

Used your ADB command afterwards and it displayed first daemon started successfully on port 5037 and then error in cmd : device not found.

What next ?

EDIT : Just noticed on the TWRP screen that my internal storage space is being shown as Zero (0) MB :eek: Now does this means my flash storage has died ? If that's the case and i need to RMA it, how to relock the bootloader , reset tamper flag and load stock recovery so that google doesn't cause any warranty issues. Please help me in that case as well.

EDIT 2 : Using fastboot, tried flash stock cache.img and userdata.img, it failed. When i flash system.img it went through perfectly. Also, got to know that the steps which you mentioned earlier, TWRP was booted temporarily and bootloader was unlocked temporarily. So does this means i don't need to relock or flash back something ? And, if i've unlocked and relocked the bootloader numerous times, how do i reset tamper flag ?

Read the stickies in the general section.. It will tell you how to reset the tamper flag.

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd

What next ?

You could try one more thing. Format the /presist partition, For some reason it magically fixed other's devices, like for this guy and for an other in that same thread, but if you format it you will lose your wifi and bluetooth mac address, and some kind of DRM stuff. I made a tutorial how to fix wifi and bluetoot mac address problem after the formating, but I cant tell anything about the drm kind of files, because I still didnt get answers form the guys in that thread. That could mean they are experiencing no problems. Here is the zip which formats persist partition.

Attachments

• format_persist.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 129

Aviatar2

Feb 13, 2014

please quote for me to the next time.
just run "Dead_Nexus" and it's will do all the whole thing though the bootloader...

BBThumbHealer

Feb 22, 2011
Delhi-NCR
just run "Dead_Nexus" and it's will do all the whole thing though the bootloader...

I tried all sort of things before finally giving up. Ultimately sent the device for RMA. Thanks for your inputs as well :)
@bitdomo, i have realised it was a case of dead memory chip only. I managed to relock the bootloader and reset the tamper flag (oem device info showed Tamper as "false") but now my only cause of concern is the LG Flash Tool. When i flashed the KOT9H firmware, it changed the original device version as mine came with 4.4 OOTB instead of 4.4.2. Can Google refuse the RMA citing this now ? :( Rest all, the kernel, recovery, bootloader, tamper flag is all stock. I coudn't even change that back to the original device version as i couldn't transfer any zip to the internal storage as it was dead.

Reactions: Aviatar2

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
I tried all sort of things before finally giving up. Ultimately sent the device for RMA. Thanks for your inputs as well :)

@bitdomo, i have realised it was a case of dead memory chip only. I managed to relock the bootloader and reset the tamper flag (oem device info showed Tamper as "false") but now my only cause of concern is the LG Flash Tool. When i flashed the KOT9H firmware, it changed the original device version as mine came with 4.4 OOTB instead of 4.4.2. Can Google refuse the RMA citing this now ? :( Rest all, the kernel, recovery, bootloader, tamper flag is all stock. I coudn't even change that back to the original device version as i couldn't transfer any zip to the internal storage as it was dead.

Google can't get your actual device factory version, because it is only visible with lg flashtool, and that tool is an internal lg software. Google has nothing to with that tool.
By the way this lgfalsh tool makes your phone offical, because this is the offical tool used in LG service centres!!!!

Can you imagine a guy at google who takes your phone flashes a custom recovery, reads back the misc partition and search for the factory device version in the hex code. Then he checks your phone serial number and sees 310K then denies your rma request because your device factory version cant be that because in oktober 2013 there were no 4.4.2? I think no.

But if it bothers you then, you can flash krt16m, or if your nexus 5 had to do big update ~150 mb ota update then flash kfs78n if your device is D821 or flash kqs81m if your device is D820. Converted roms work too without problems I have tested them.

Reactions: BBThumbHealer

BBThumbHealer

Feb 22, 2011
Delhi-NCR
Google can't get your actual device factory version, because it is only visible with lg flashtool, and that tool is an internal lg software. Google has nothing to with that tool.
By the way this lgfalsh tool makes your phone offical, because this is the offical tool used in LG service centres!!!!

Can you imagine a guy at google who takes your phone flashes a custom recovery, reads back the misc partition and search for the factory device version in the hex code. Then he checks your phone serial number and sees 310K then denies your rma request because your device factory version cant be that because in oktober 2013 there were no 4.4.2? I think no.

But if it bothers you then, you can flash krt16m, or if your nexus 5 had to do big update ~150 mb ota update then flash kfs78n if your device is D821 or flash kqs81m if your device is D820. Converted roms work too without problems I have tested them.

I have already sent the defective one for RMA so there's no question of flashing any files now. Google sends the new replacement device and and lieu of that they block temporarily the device's price for a period of 14-21 days in which the service centre ppl check for the issues what got the device in. And i think LG only is handling that as it made the device ? So my question still remains now can the LG guys intimate Google that the phone was flashed. ? But on the positive, the flash tool was of LG and it can't be turned unofficial What say ? I don't wish to pay again for a new device. If the service centre guys gives a thumbs up that phone indeed died as a result of hardware failure like emmc chip, then the card block is removed.

BTW, i am not aware whether Google itself handles the service or asks LG to do the same! Any inputs ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

download twrp recovery