wtf just happened to my phone's usb port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

squshy 7

Dec 6, 2010
If nothing else, its good to learn/confirm from this thread that Sprint will tell you one thing, and completely do another once you deal with someone else, I have had this multiple times. So annoying ...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

The issue here is the customer service reps setting wrong expectations. It happens on a daily basis and is a thorn in my side.

A CSR isn't able to visually inspect and triage a device, so I don't see how it can be expected that the CSR can make the absolute decision that a device needs exchanged. Hence, why we need to confirm issues in store.

rdsnyder

Jan 26, 2011
just washed it off with a little soap and water and it went haywire. red LED came up. no water entered the port. moved connector around and LED went off. went to plug in and physically wouldn't connect to the charger. played around with it more and now it appears the connector is entirely damaged/not present. wtf? how can I get this replaced?

I get what everyone is saying about the whole soap and water thing ruining the phone, but how would the charger physically not connect anymore? That sounds like a lot of corrosion. As in the E4GT is not dishwasher safe level of corrosion, not just a casual wipe down.

Last edited:

jfcooley

Jul 15, 2011
Charlottesville Va
Sounds more like the op exaggerating to make a case that it wasnt his doing. Chargers do'tt stop connecting overnight (never heard of a charger warping at all) and I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with his device other than user error/water damage.

I thought it was common knowledge soap and water don't mix with electronics.

Dioscorus

Sep 1, 2008
there is no way that water permeated the device and reached the moisture indicators. I wiped the phone down with the case on. no water came near the port. It was somehow damaged, really have no clue as to how.

xST4T1K

Jan 10, 2012
Well whether or not they replace it, if the phone works fine besides that, consider getting an external charger ;)

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
just washed it off with a little soap and water and it went haywire. red LED came up. no water entered the port. moved connector around and LED went off. went to plug in and physically wouldn't connect to the charger. played around with it more and now it appears the connector is entirely damaged/not present. wtf? how can I get this replaced?

I read that part when He says he moved it around and then went to plug it in and it's not there ie he broke it

Last edited:

Dioscorus

Sep 1, 2008
I have done so before, when the phone always acted like it was plugged in when I first got it. never malfunctioned like this.

Whosdaman

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
If your liquid indicator isn't tampered with and is still white, and you remove all signs of liquid contact. You can have a replacement done at a Sprint store for $35, or you can send it to Samsung for repair for free. Unfortunately Samsung will take apart the phone and see there is probably liquid damage. Sprint stores won't take apart your phone for a charging port malfunction due to it being a board level issue.

Reactions: emod0705

Esoteric68

Jun 9, 2011
Hellabama
For future reference keep alcohol wipes handy for cleaning your phone. I'm not suggesting you douse it in alcohol but those little handy wipes work great for cleaning (and more importantly de-germing) your device without posing the risk of water intrusion.

I've stated previously that I don't carry the insurance either (got burned on it years ago) but I always keep a spare phone when I upgrade so if I brick, drop, shower with, lose, etc I just call and activate the old phone. Best insurance plan for the money.

Dioscorus

Sep 1, 2008
$35 is no problem. however, I still have CWM on there. How can I factory reset and give up root? I have done the factory reset but the phone is not officially reset...

Whosdaman

May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
$35 is no problem. however, I still have CWM on there. How can I factory reset and give up root? I have done the factory reset but the phone is not officially reset...

Doesn't matter. Sprint will still repair a device that is rooted. It's their policy. Samsung might void the warranty of the device if you send to them with a custom bootloader, though you could make a strong argument that the software has nothing to do with the charging port.

Reactions: emod0705

Whosdaman

May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida

latoso

Mar 23, 2010
Astoria,NY
I just cancelled the insurance on five lines im tired of sprint techs, last week i took my sister in law evo with a bad lcd and the phone wad flaged with water damage, i order a lcd digitizer replacement on ebay and is fine now sprint techs suck

Dchibro

Jul 28, 2011
San Diego, CA
I just cancelled the insurance on five lines im tired of sprint techs, last week i took my sister in law evo with a bad lcd and the phone wad flaged with water damage, i order a lcd digitizer replacement on ebay and is fine now sprint techs suck

There are a lot of Sprint techs that lurk around here. It might be nice not to generalize and group all of them into your own bad personal experience.

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
don't see how I'm out of luck. the failure of the USB port is directly attributable to a defect by the manufacturer. Sprint exchanges these devices and sends the defective units to Samsung(with a receipt, which I don't have, but the guy I spoke with said he could either have one for me in three days or note the account appropriately). everyone wins.

Charging port failed because you intentionally put water and soap on your phone to clean it.. Now your trying to say its a defect to avoid paying a deductible.. Just say your trying to cheat the system lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

squshy 7

Dec 6, 2010
If your liquid indicator isn't tampered with and is still white, and you remove all signs of liquid contact. You can have a replacement done at a Sprint store for $35, or you can send it to Samsung for repair for free. Unfortunately Samsung will take apart the phone and see there is probably liquid damage. Sprint stores won't take apart your phone for a charging port malfunction due to it being a board level issue.

Eh...I take phones apart regardless Korey ;)

I'm known for my courtesies, but I'm definitely tough on liquid damage; regardless if it's causing the issue or not, I'm not about to send an LD phone back to the warehouse for refurb, so that some poor sap gets stuck with it later.

Because we all know how good the warehouse is at refurbing phones :p

Reactions: musclehead84

latoso

Mar 23, 2010
Astoria,NY
Is not just once, is four times already four different stores and once a phone is flaged cant be changed by another tech, and nowhere to make a report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the failure of the USB port is directly attributable to a defect by the manufacturer.

No, you put a little bit of water on your screen and it created a short somewhere that effected the charging port. Let me guess ... you conveniently failed to tell the customer care Rep that you were cleaning the screen with water when the charging port stopped working.

Defect by the manufacturer? Seriously? Does anyone take personal responsibility for anything anymore?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Soap and water? I lol'd.

Doesn't matter. Sprint will still repair a device that is rooted. It's their policy. Samsung might void the warranty of the device if you send to them with a custom bootloader, though you could make a strong argument that the software has nothing to do with the charging port.

Eh...I take phones apart regardless Korey ;)

I'm known for my courtesies, but I'm definitely tough on liquid damage; regardless if it's causing the issue or not, I'm not about to send an LD phone back to the warehouse for refurb, so that some poor sap gets stuck with it later.

Because we all know how good the warehouse is at refurbing phones :p