[Q] T-Mobile/AT&T/GSM on Razr M

Search This thread

mat3usz

Dec 21, 2010
Earth
Razr HD Maxx on T-Mobile!

Thank you for your support, I will try to read through the link some one posted down here for razr Maxx HD and see if it works , I will get back to you.

Great news! Works like a charm on a Razr HD Maxx. Used NV editor instead. Make sure you install all drivers and if you have 64-bit, follow the tip mentioned back a few posts ago.

Using T-Mobile and in a refrmed area and works like a charm! 3G/H+ where I am and am giddy like a 5 year old on Christmas!! Getting anything from 5-10Mb/s down and 1-3Mb/s up. This is the best phone ever!! <3 See no reason this will not work on the regular Razr HD. :good:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

nrgyitguy

Nov 24, 2012
Great news! Works like a charm on a Razr HD Maxx. Used NV editor instead. Make sure you install all drivers and if you have 64-bit, follow the tip mentioned back a few posts ago.

Using T-Mobile and in a refrmed area and works like a charm! 3G/H+ where I am and am giddy like a 5 year old on Christmas!! Getting anything from 5-10Mb/s down and 1-3Mb/s up. This is the best phone ever!! <3 See no reason this will not work on the regular Razr HD. :good:

I am glad you got it going!! I was mistaken about the RAZR HD and RAZR HD MAXX, I was/am refering to the original RAZR and RAZR MAXX when I was skeptikal about your situation...I have a RAZR M rolling with this hack and it also recieves 3G/H+, works great!!!

jessezx

Mar 10, 2005
Are you getting 3g/HSDPA+ abroad I just bought one(I've had it for 2 hours) and it showing sim card from unknown source. I'm on Digicel Jamaica which uses 850mhz for 3g if that matters

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

i can not make call at all. with the 01 resetting.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Sutitan

Dec 12, 2010
Maybe a little off topic, but my highest speedtest to date is 13Mbps down and 3Mbps up (12.975 and 3.020 to be exact). Thats faster then my old Tmobile phone :p

relaxlol

Feb 14, 2013
whats the difference between white H+ and blue h+?

Just got my razr m turned on to net10(at&t) and I get h and h+. Took me 45m to convince the guy at the phone shop here in sc that this phone would work on tmobile and at&t. After words I have had h+ sense I left the store no problems and all right speeds for my area 4mb DL and 2mb upload. I do have one question . Sometimes my H+ and signal are blue but other times its white. I am not sure what it means but my speeds are faster when its blue.

N!TRO

Oct 6, 2011
Just got my razr m turned on to net10(at&t) and I get h and h+. Took me 45m to convince the guy at the phone shop here in sc that this phone would work on tmobile and at&t. After words I have had h+ sense I left the store no problems and all right speeds for my area 4mb DL and 2mb upload. I do have one question . Sometimes my H+ and signal are blue but other times its white. I am not sure what it means but my speeds are faster when its blue.

If its anything like CM10 JB on my DEFY this simply means when blue you are synced with Google services when white or in my case light grey you are not synced :D I read this some time ago in these forums DEFY section.

zowwie

May 24, 2006
I am traveling abroad and I can confirm my rara M is not working after the 01 byte clearing hack.
In original Verizon rom, it works with abroad GSM card.

We need a better solution. :(

My phone has the hack and it's working fine on Telcel in Mexico City. Can send and receive texts, make and receive calls no problem. Data works too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda premium

Germanese

Nov 22, 2012
Houston / Munich
Works Great In Houston.
Though I am only getting 2Mbps down and 1mbps down.
But my phone going back and forth form 3G and H+

Will also check if 00 and 01 mod effect a phone in Germany since someone reported that it will not work Internationally and we have to switch back to stock.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
While we have made no progress on a flashable zip file method of doing the NV edit, I have tested and confirmed with P3 Droid and myself that this edit can be performed using RadioComm with Factory boot mode selected from the boot menu.
The primary advantage of using RadioComm instead of DFS or other Qualcomm based NV access tool is that the drivers do not require forced loading on Win7 64 because the QC device interfaces are not loaded in Factory mode and the normal Motorola USB Networking driver is all that is needed to access the device and perform the edit. RadioComm also has a better UI for NV reading and writing and the port selection is not required. It is a very intimidating piece of software in it's own right and any of these programs are very dangerous to use given that you can easily break your phone with any of them if you write the wrong things to the NVM.
I have been using RadioComm for years and am the one largely responsible for it's use for various purposes becoming popular on the web, so I am very comfortable with it and it is the premier tool used by Motorola engineers for their needs.

I will writeup the RadioComm method after I have gotten some more confirmation from other testers that it works for them.
I have confirmed it's working for me under Win7 64 and WinXP 32.

Edit: Better yet, I have made it into an NVM table file that RadioComm NV/SEEM feature can write in a single preconfigured operation that many users may find easier than manually editing the NV items.
This is good news for other reasons as well. I had been having a hard time using this feature in RadioComm because the latest version available does not directly support the MSM8960 chipset and I could not effectively run the large table files we have for dumping the full NVM. I am running a full dump now and it has completed approx. 20% of the read operations in about 15 minutes.
This is opposed to about that many after reading for hours with other methods. RadioComm also has access to some items that cant be read with QC software because it suspends the device before reading the table. This mode is not supported by QC test commands.

Very excited now! :D

Last edited:

giuseppi

Feb 21, 2013
Been following this thread for a while. Nice job getting it working. Seriously thinking about picking up a razr m now. Can anyone successfully using razr m on tmobile tell me whether they can use tmobile's call over wifi service? I'm guessing not.

aslomagic

Nov 10, 2012
Los Angeles
Been following this thread for a while. Nice job getting it working. Seriously thinking about picking up a razr m now. Can anyone successfully using razr m on tmobile tell me whether they can use tmobile's call over wifi service? I'm guessing not.

I never tried, to be honest, I didn't even know about this feature, but I could definitely use it! My guess is that it requires some special software from T-Mobile, which of course is not available in the Verizon firmware. Do you know which software it is, and if maybe is it available on Google play? I'll try it if so.

Sent from my XT907

cheezzzz

Nov 29, 2011
anyone here in Australia or anywhere outside the US using the XT905?

I'm in Australia trying to get the LTE to work and it's driving me NUTS. Downloading the NON-HLOS with aussie radio in OP hoping for the best..

Thanks guys, really appreciate it

anyone here in Australia or anywhere outside the US using the XT905?

I'm in Australia trying to get the LTE to work and it's driving me NUTS. Downloading the NON-HLOS with aussie radio in OP hoping for the best..

Thanks guys, really appreciate it

Haha! If u got it in Australia then lte / 4G will work on Telstra's and optus network. Don't forget the networks (4G) r in their infancy and have very small coverage areas.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

lewstherin

Nov 15, 2010
No luck trying to use this in my country (India)

By default, the phone (XT907 - A gift) was not able to connect to any of the GSM networks here - I tried with multiple sim cards across different networks. I went through this entire thread and tried the NV edit (01 to 00) and it did not work. The phone is still unable to connect to any of the networks. I have set it back to 00. I hope this has the same effect as flashing it back to stock.

I am very new to all this (though I have a good bit of experience developing stuff) and have spent a bit of time going through the various threads here. So as I see it, these are my options:

1. NV edit - Does not work.
2. Flashing Aussie NonHOLOS.BIN - Seems like it is worth a try but I don't know how to do this. Can someone tell me how to do this?
3. CellZealot's RadioComm Method - Waiting for instructions on this.
4. Flashing CM10
5. Flashing Stock Android 4.1.2

4 & 5 are not something I am really eager to dolist, mainly because I like some of the improvements on stock that have been done by Moto (the quick settings screen, the camera app etc.) - but a working phone is obviously better. Also, I have a locked bootloader - so I am not sure if that will impact my ability to flash new ROMs.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

**Edit: Found the instructions for aussie radio in the beginning of this thread. Will try that after seeing what cellzealot has to say later tonight.

Last edited:

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Sorry, been extremely busy at work but I will post it tonight. I have all the screenshots done, I just need to do the actual writeup.
If the original method did not work then the RadioComm method won't either, though.
Have to head into work right now but I have a few ideas about this that may shed some light.

lewstherin

Nov 15, 2010
Thanks

Sorry, been extremely busy at work but I will post it tonight. I have all the screenshots done, I just need to do the actual writeup.
If the original method did not work then the RadioComm method won't either, though.
Have to head into work right now but I have a few ideas about this that may shed some light.

I found the instructions for flashing the aussie radio, but the dropbox link is down (getting a 404). I think I have a copy downloaded on my windows comp, but I am not sure. Kindda bummed that the RadioComm method won't work. Anyway, I will wait until your post is out.

Thanks a ton.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Finally got the time to write up the RadioComm method.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2166542

I will post here in the morning regarding the modem options and my understanding of the issue with Indian GSM carriers.

I can reupload the Telstra AU modem and the other options are all of the RAZR HD and Atrix HD modems are also compatible with the M and can be found in the XML.zips for those models and safely flashed in fastboot.

Reactions: lewstherin

lewstherin

Nov 15, 2010
It looks like the Aussie Radio isn't going to work

Sorry was tied up at work and couldn't respond until now.
Finally got the time to write up the RadioComm method.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2166542

I will post here in the morning regarding the modem options and my understanding of the issue with Indian GSM carriers.
Thanks for the very detailed post on the RadioComm method. I can now see why it wouldn't work for me.
I can reupload the Telstra AU modem and the other options are all of the RAZR HD and Atrix HD modems are also compatible with the M and can be found in the XML.zips for those models and safely flashed in fastboot.
According to abs0lut3z33r0, the aussie radio method doesn't work either. If you recommend it, I will give it a go nevertheless. I doubt the other modems will work, because they must also be locked to Verizon.

Beginning to lose hope that anything besides a new ROM is going work :( Here's to hoping you have a silver bullet tucked in there somewhere ;)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got H+ on Net10/AT&T

I used DFS (from cdmatool.com) & dev drivers from somewhere on XDA to set NV item 8322 to 0, and now I have H+ on Net10/AT&T in the US, with the US modem. Still says "Sim from unknown source" on boot, and remember set your APN correctly. Please report if you get this too, maybe there's something else I changed that is also important.

Super thanks to CellZealot, P3Droid, and everyone else for investigation, I wouldn't have tried if you didn't.

Happy hacking
    They are going to post directions on how to do the NV edit this evening.
    He is even attempting to make a zip file that makes it an easy 1,2,3 that updates the NV value without any special tools.
    Hopefully he posts it soon.

The zip file would be super convenient...

But, I'll try to give a brief step-by-step "cheat sheet" guide here. Not a real tutorial, sorry ... don't have time to go back and try all the steps, take screenshots, etc... for the "easy way" I'd wait for cellzealot ...

I installed the drivers for all the tools like DFS, QPST, QDXM, etc long long ago, not sure where but I think the ones from this thread should work:
    Drivers: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1891582&highlight=drivers
    Direct link: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1333751&d=1347903431

After installing the drivers, power off the phone, then hold power + volume up + volume down, and select "BT Tools" from the boot menu (press volume down until it is highlighted, then press volume up). Wait for the phone to boot, then plug it into the PC. It should recognize it and install a new COM port (if not, go to Start->Motorola->Mobile Drivers->Motorola Drivers Installer and see if that does the trick.. again, I installed these drivers long ago so my memory is a little rusty).

After installing the drivers, install DFS, I got it from this thread and it worked, you may get it somewhere else as well:
    DFS: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1876457
    Direct link: http://www.2shared.com/file/xBxUOnPz/DFS.html

(1) Make sure you still have the phone in BT Tools mode connected, and start DFS.
    (4) Click on the "Ports" button, double click on the newly installed COM port (for me it's called "Motorola QC Diag Port"), close ports manager
    (4a) Check: Make sure the port is selected in the drop down to the right of the "ports" button
    (5) In the main window, select "Qualcomm" on the DM drop down
    (6) click on SPC (leave code as 000000), make sure it says "DEVICE UNLOCKED" in the console at the bottom
    (7) click on NV tab
    (8) enter 8322 the "Start" field, and 8323 in the "End" field, then click "Read range"
    (8a) Check: It should show only one item called ITEM_8322
    (9) select (highlight) the item ITEM_8322, click in the "Edit NV" box below, type 00 replacing the 01
    (10) select (highlight) the item ITEM_8322 again, click "Apply changes", then "Write selected item" while item is highlighed
    (10a) Check: repeat step 8 and verify it now reads 00
    (11) reboot and cross fingers.

I hope this is clear enough even without screenshots, and that I didn't miss any step, but hopefully adventurous and impatient people that cannot wait for cellzealot's zip will figure it out ;)

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage you might do to your phone, or any other undesirable consequence, as a result of following these instructions.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Of course, in case it wasn't obvious, if you flashed your phone with the Telstra radio (or any other radio), you have to flash back the original verizon radio... I'd assume that if you were able to flash some radio on it, you are probably able to flash the original radio back, but if not, I can give directions for that as well.
    The zip file would be super convenient...

But, I'll try to give a brief step-by-step "cheat sheet" guide here. Not a real tutorial, sorry ... don't have time to go back and try all the steps, take screenshots, etc... for the "easy way" I'd wait for cellzealot ...

I installed the drivers for all the tools like DFS, QPST, QDXM, etc long long ago, not sure where but I think the ones from this thread should work:
    Drivers: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1891582&highlight=drivers
    Direct link: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1333751&d=1347903431

After installing the drivers, power off the phone, then hold power + volume up + volume down, and select "BT Tools" from the boot menu (press volume down until it is highlighted, then press volume up). Wait for the phone to boot, then plug it into the PC. It should recognize it and install a new COM port (if not, go to Start->Motorola->Mobile Drivers->Motorola Drivers Installer and see if that does the trick.. again, I installed these drivers long ago so my memory is a little rusty).

After installing the drivers, install DFS, I got it from this thread and it worked, you may get it somewhere else as well:
    DFS: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1876457
    Direct link: http://www.2shared.com/file/xBxUOnPz/DFS.html

(1) Make sure you still have the phone in BT Tools mode connected, and start DFS.
    (4) Click on the "Ports" button, double click on the newly installed COM port (for me it's called "Motorola QC Diag Port"), close ports manager
    (4a) Check: Make sure the port is selected in the drop down to the right of the "ports" button
    (5) In the main window, select "Qualcomm" on the DM drop down
    (6) click on SPC (leave code as 000000), make sure it says "DEVICE UNLOCKED" in the console at the bottom
    (7) click on NV tab
    (8) enter 8322 the "Start" field, and 8323 in the "End" field, then click "Read range"
    (8a) Check: It should show only one item called ITEM_8322
    (9) select the item ITEM_8322, type 00 replacing the 01 in the "Edit NV" box below
    (10) click "Apply changes", then "Write selected item"
    (10a) Check: repeat step 8 and verify it now reads 00
    (11) reboot and cross fingers.

I hope this is clear enough even without screenshots, and that I didn't miss any step, but hopefully adventurous and impatient people that cannot wait for cellzealot's zip will figure it out ;)

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage you might do to your phone, or any other undesirable consequence, as a result of following these instructions.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Of course, in case it wasn't obvious, if you flashed your phone with the Telstra radio (or any other radio), you have to flash back the original verizon radio... I'd assume that if you were able to flash some radio on it, you are probably able to flash the original radio back, but if not, I can give directions for that as well.

These directions were perfect! I flashed my radio from the Aussie radio back to the default Verizon radio.
    I then changed the NV entry and BOOM! H+ data on StraightTalk (AT&T) - AMAZING! Unlimited Talk / Text / Data for only $45 bucks a month!

One thing - if you have windows 64bit OS, the driver above will not work (its only for 32bit OS) - follow these directions to get the Motorola COM Port:

under 7 64bit, when you connect the phone previously started in "BP tool" (android starts normally in this mode)

you will have in the device list windows, a device called "QC Interface". Right click properties. select "install the driver myself"

view the list of devices. go to "com port" and selécionnez manufacturer as "motorola" and "Motorola QC Diag Port" and remember the number of the COM port

Thank you so much to everyone for coming up with this solution - I was so close to pull the trigger on a DROID RAZR 1 this morning - so glad I didn't!

Next question I have - has anyone successfully gotten rid of the nagging "The SIM card is from an unknown source." messages?
    I will be writing this up in my thread but will give a quick listing here.
    At the bottom of the build.prop file is a section called ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES and there are three lines that need editing.

ro.mot.phone mode.vzw4gphone=1 change to 0

ro.mot.ds.fastdormancy.disable=false change to true

telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=1 change to 0 (the first instance of this line higher up in the build.prop can be ignored as this one takes precedence over it)

These changes can be made with any root enabled file explorer or with adb shell but you must always remember to set the permissions properly to rw-r--r--
    and always save your original file as .bak to restore in case of problems.

If you do not set permissions properly your phone will not boot and you will need to reflash the system to restore it.

Also removing or renaming /system/priv-app/VzwPhoneService.apk and .odex files will disable the SIM from Unknown Source popup warning.
    WOW!!! This completely works folks!

Huge thanks to Arnold Snarb! Brilliant work!

I am currently on ATT with full HSPA+ service under the VZW modem after using DFS tool to edit 8322 to 00 as stated above.

I am also using an edited build.prop file that I have setup for GSM testing,and need to determine if those edits have any effect and also whether it works with stock build.prop and simply swapping SIMs is all that is needed to switch between normal VZW service and GSM service.

It is also possible that we can create a flashable zip for CWM recovery that can perform the NV edit without the need for a PC or Diagnostic Mode access tools.

This is really fantastic news and will almost certainly have implications for other devices as well.

Congratulations to Arnold Snarb and everyone else who has contributed to the investigation!

:D