[Q] [Help] CWM can't mount sd-ext? (LG-P500)

Search This thread

jaibar

Feb 2, 2011
Underwater, no Sh!t
picasaweb.google.com
As I was getting low on my LG-P500 phone, I tried looking for some app2sd solution, doing the following steps:

- Backup all SD card content to PC

- Boot into recovery (CWM5.0.2.7)

- From recovery, create sd-ext partition

- From recovery, format the new partition

- From recovery, mount usb device, restore all SD card content from PC.

- Reboot device, installed link2sd and managed to link applications to sd.

Now link2sd seems to work fine- I tried linking quite a few applications and all of them work fine, no complaints. It only gave me an error with some apps which I have previously *moved* to SD using Titanium backup, but upon moving them to internal storage link2sd picked them okay.

However, I noticed that using file explorer, root explorer etc- they all show the sd-ext partition as empty, with size of 0 bytes?? :eek:

Then, I booted into recovery and tried to mount the sd-ext partition, but I get an error message... (all other partitions I can mount/unmount just fine).

To be sure, after each reboot it looks like all the applications linked2sd work appropiately, so everything looks fine.

However, now I am concerned whether I can create (and restore, of course) nandroid backups- what will happen with all these apps linked to sd? Am I right that CWM may not be able to backup (and therefore restore) anything that is on this partition?

Am I going to lose all these apps and data? Does TiB backup these apps+data and be able to restore them fine to sd-ext? I'm asking about TiB as a mediocre workaround of restoring applications that were in sd-ext (and thus omitted by CWM backup). That is, after restoring nand backup- doing an additional restore from TiB??

Any help/insight is welcome :)

Ah, yes, some more info:

Phone: LG optimus P500
ROM: Lupohirps CM9 4.0.3 from this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1558213
Recovery: CWM 5.0.2.7 (By the way, whenever I try to flash 5.0.2.0 I get an error...)

DavisNT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 27, 2011
Riga
projects.dm.id.lv
Can you open Android Terminal (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm) and issue these commands:
su
busybox ls -la /sd-ext/
busybox mount

If /sd-ext doesn't show up in mount, then it is not mounted.
Actually CM9 for P500 lacks file /system/etc/init.d/05mountsd (this file is responsible for mounting /sd-ext). IMHO You should ask ROM developer about sd-ext support.

If you want to test (and potentially restore your Nandoid backup or reflash CM9 afterwards) I can give you this script from CM7 (actually modified version that allows any ext version).

deniso177

Aug 27, 2011
Your sd-ext files are actually in data/sdext2, not in /sd-ext.

Also Try using Amonra 3.0.6, overall it has better sd-ext support, I find it mounts and wipes things like dalvick cache inside the sd-ext partition as well , which is handy, unlike CWM.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaibar

jaibar

Feb 2, 2011
Underwater, no Sh!t
picasaweb.google.com
Thanks for all your replies!

Sdcard file system is fat32. For the partition I have no idea as cwm didn't ask for any specific (e.g. ext2/3/4) and I haven't seen any way to get this Info...

Anyway, following this thread, I did find that all the app/data is in /data/sdext2- not sure what it means in terms of nandroid backup& recovery but it looks more reassuring..

As to RA recovery, I'm not in particular in love with cwm- it is just what I'm used to from other android devices I've been using. Actually on my htc mt4g I was using ext4 touch recovery and that one I really liked, but it is not supported in lots of devices. That phone was stolen, unfortunately. I'll give it a try, though.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

jaibar

Feb 2, 2011
Underwater, no Sh!t
picasaweb.google.com
Can you open Android Terminal (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm) and issue these commands:
su
busybox ls -la /sd-ext/
busybox mount

If /sd-ext doesn't show up in mount, then it is not mounted.
Actually CM9 for P500 lacks file /system/etc/init.d/05mountsd (this file is responsible for mounting /sd-ext). IMHO You should ask ROM developer about sd-ext support.

If you want to test (and potentially restore your Nandoid backup or reflash CM9 afterwards) I can give you this script from CM7 (actually modified version that allows any ext version).

Thanks! Looks likeb system/ cache/ data are all yaffs2, /mnt/Sdcard is vfat and /data/sdext2 is ext4. Not sure what all the output means (relatime, barrier=1, data= ordered etc. etc.)

So, can I figure out where the /data/sdext2 is physically stored? Is it actually the sd-ext/ext4 partition? Looks like must have, as its contents are way bigger than phone's 200MB internal storage...

Thank you all again :)

deniso177

Aug 27, 2011
Thanks! Looks likeb system/ cache/ data are all yaffs2, /mnt/Sdcard is vfat and /data/sdext2 is ext4. Not sure what all the output means (relatime, barrier=1, data= ordered etc. etc.)

So, can I figure out where the /data/sdext2 is physically stored? Is it actually the sd-ext/ext4 partition? Looks like must have, as its contents are way bigger than phone's 200MB internal storage...

/data/sdext2 is the mountpoint for the ext4 partition thats on your sd card, physically its obviously on your sd card, but If you use linux, data/ is where the all partitions other then home partition get "attached"/mounted to, the 11link2sd script made by link2sd in yout init.d folder actually mounts it sdext2, the name means nothing, just something link2sd names it as.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

So Basically nandroid will not back it up under /data/sdext2 as the script runs after recovery, the best way to backup apps that are on the ext partion is back them up using Titanium Backup, as that saves the real apks, and when you restore all your apps, select link2sd to automatically move them to sd-ext partition.

Fietz

Mar 24, 2012
Breitscheid
Hi at all,

at first sorry for my bad english. :)

I had a similar case. If I made a backup with cwm 5.0.2.7, cwm cant mount/read the sd-ext.
In a other thread a user wrote, that cwm 5.0.2.8 had problems with the sd-ext.
And he does downgrade to cwm 5.0.2.0, and than cwm will work.

So, I did this:
I open the rommanager and choose the option "install Clockworkmod", now I choose the "LG Optimus One (old BB)".
But i have the new baseband on my O1.:D

The basis of this is, if you choose the new baseband in the rommanager, he will install cwm 5.0.2.7. For the old is it the 5.0.2.0 version.

Now, Rommanger made the installation with cwm 5.0.2.0. to my phone.
After this i go in to the recovery and made my nand-backup. It works perfekt!
No problems with the sd-ext, after I did this.

May be this will help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Majjjjo and Cekk

jaibar

Feb 2, 2011
Underwater, no Sh!t
picasaweb.google.com
Hi at all,

I open the rommanager and choose the option "install Clockworkmod", now I choose the "LG Optimus One (old BB)".

The basis of this is, if you choose the new baseband in the rommanager, he will install cwm 5.0.2.7. For the old is it the 5.0.2.0 version.

Thanks for the tip..

I have tried in the past to flash cwm 5.0.2.0 via Rom Manager, but I kept getting an error message, so I gave up.

Now I thought to give it a second chance, but as it fails to flash with Rom Manager (in the menu when I choose LG optimus one I don't get any choice between old BB or new or anything- it just reflashes 5.0.2.7) and from the "all recoveries menu I can only choose 5.0.2.0 but it gives an error message), so I downloaded the zip files from this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1523050 (including also Amon Ra 3.06) and tried to manually flash from recovery.

It flashed and showed recovery as "5.0.2.0" but nothing worked- every submenu that I tried to enter was black screen (with the CWM logo on background) and it gave me the creeps- I don't like being stuck without a functional recovery ;) so I rebooted and flashed 5.0.2.7 again from Rom Manager.

I'll try to flash Amon Ra and see how it works.

[EDIT] flashed AmonRa 3.06 and it seems to work fine- able to mount/unmount all partitions including sd-ext, and it also has an option to check each of them in separate during nandroid backups.

A noobish question: it has also an option to include the ".android_secure" . Isn't this one a redundancy with sd-ext (e.g. contains all the apps/data that has been moved/linked2sd)?

Last edited:

pockoc

Aug 19, 2013
As I was getting low on my LG-P500 phone, I tried looking for some app2sd solution, doing the following steps:

Now link2sd seems to work fine- I tried linking quite a few applications and all of them work fine, no complaints. It only gave me an error with some apps which I have previously *moved* to SD using Titanium backup, but upon moving them to internal storage link2sd picked them okay.

However, I noticed that using file explorer, root explorer etc- they all show the sd-ext partition as empty, with size of 0 bytes?? :eek:

Then, I booted into recovery and tried to mount the sd-ext partition, but I get an error message... (all other partitions I can mount/unmount just fine).

To be sure, after each reboot it looks like all the applications linked2sd work appropiately, so everything looks fine.

However, now I am concerned whether I can create (and restore, of course) nandroid backups- what will happen with all these apps linked to sd? Am I right that CWM may not be able to backup (and therefore restore) anything that is on this partition?

Am I going to lose all these apps and data? Does TiB backup these apps+data and be able to restore them fine to sd-ext? I'm asking about TiB as a mediocre workaround of restoring applications that were in sd-ext (and thus omitted by CWM backup). That is, after restoring nand backup- doing an additional restore from TiB??

Ah, yes, some more info:

ROM: Lupohirps CM9 4.0.3 from this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1558213
Recovery: CWM 5.0.2.7 (By the way, whenever I try to flash 5.0.2.0 I get an error...)

Hi, Jaibar

I have LG Optimus One with JB 4.2.2, CM 10.1.

Here what I have done in order to gain extra space on my internal memory. All the steps that you have followed are the same as I did. BUT! There are two important things that I have followed that had greatly helped to succeed:
1) For every 100Mb internal memory - NO MORE than 512Mb of SD card memory(for my LG I have separated 965Mb on the SD card)
2) INT2EXT+ works with EXT2/3/4 partitions BUT INT2EXT4+ works with ONLY EXT4 partition. After I have watched this short video, and this blog post I have been able to restart my phone with extended internal memory.

Believe me, for three days I have been flashing my phone, trying to find the correct way. At the end I have noticed that the problem was that I couldn't mount /sd-ext I thought that maybe following this two rules will help - and it did!

I hope that it will help! Good luck

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi at all,

at first sorry for my bad english. :)

I had a similar case. If I made a backup with cwm 5.0.2.7, cwm cant mount/read the sd-ext.
    In a other thread a user wrote, that cwm 5.0.2.8 had problems with the sd-ext.
    And he does downgrade to cwm 5.0.2.0, and than cwm will work.

So, I did this:

Now, Rommanger made the installation with cwm 5.0.2.0. to my phone.
    After this i go in to the recovery and made my nand-backup. It works perfekt!
    No problems with the sd-ext, after I did this.

May be this will help.
    that's weird since the app working. what ekstension do you have on sd card fat? fat32?
    Your sd-ext files are actually in data/sdext2, not in /sd-ext.

Also Try using Amonra 3.0.6, overall it has better sd-ext support, I find it mounts and wipes things like dalvick cache inside the sd-ext partition as well , which is handy, unlike CWM.

/data/sdext2 is the mountpoint for the ext4 partition thats on your sd card, physically its obviously on your sd card, but If you use linux, data/ is where the all partitions other then home partition get "attached"/mounted to, the 11link2sd script made by link2sd in yout init.d folder actually mounts it sdext2, the name means nothing, just something link2sd names it as.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

So Basically nandroid will not back it up under /data/sdext2 as the script runs after recovery, the best way to backup apps that are on the ext partion is back them up using Titanium Backup, as that saves the real apks, and when you restore all your apps, select link2sd to automatically move them to sd-ext partition.

Ah, yes, some more info:

Hi, Jaibar

I have LG Optimus One with JB 4.2.2, CM 10.1.

Here what I have done in order to gain extra space on my internal memory. All the steps that you have followed are the same as I did. BUT! There are two important things that I have followed that had greatly helped to succeed:
    1) For every 100Mb internal memory - NO MORE than 512Mb of SD card memory(for my LG I have separated 965Mb on the SD card)
    2) INT2EXT+ works with EXT2/3/4 partitions BUT INT2EXT4+ works with ONLY EXT4 partition. After I have watched this short video, and this blog post I have been able to restart my phone with extended internal memory.

Believe me, for three days I have been flashing my phone, trying to find the correct way. At the end I have noticed that the problem was that I couldn't mount /sd-ext I thought that maybe following this two rules will help - and it did!

I hope that it will help! Good luck