[Q] Permission denied on downgrade from hboot 0.98

Search This thread
Mar 3, 2011
Recently I sent my phone in for warranty repair and unrooted the phone before doing so. I now have my phone back with hboot 0.98 and keep running into snag when trying to downgrade to 0.97.

Per instructions from attn1, when I enter
Code:
adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'
I get a permission denied error and the downgrade subsequently fails. The first time I did it I had no problems and am using the same files and method I used in December, so I almost wonder if warranty repair did something special to the rom (doubtful though). I have 3 GB free on the Micro SD card, but I have not tried reformatting yet.

I've seen a similar issue reported on these two posts in addition to other sites with no resolution:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1298990&page=25
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1364035

Any suggestions on what to try next?

faehsemc

Jun 25, 2011
Titusville
Why don't u just and fast boot adb devices and then run the hack-vivow file... I did in even bother with the adb shell

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

faehsemc

Jun 25, 2011
Titusville
This was quoted from that thread...

Instructions for Downgrading Hboot from 0.98 to 0.97 on Verizon HTC Incredible 2 (followed by Instructions to root hboot 0.97 and 2.3.3 Android)

1. On your computer, disable or remove all phone, HTC Sync, iTunes, and all Antivirus software and suspend all unnecessary processes.
2. Install SDK Manager and then upgrade as it requires. Only install platform tools.
3. Install HTC USB Drivers on your PC. They can be found at http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
4. Unzip downloaded package for downgrading hboot and extract to C:\hboot
5. Get adb and fastboot working on your PC
a. Turn on USB debugging on phone (settings>applications>developer>USB debugging)
b. Connect phone in charge only mode
c. Your phone should show up in device manager under “Android USB Devices”
d. If not, get this working before proceeding
e. Open command window as administrator
f. At C:\hboot, type “adb fastboot”
g. At C:\hboot, type “adb devices”…you should get a device code if the phone is properly connected
h. If not, retry steps, SDK settings, and file locations to get this working properly
6. After you get your proper device code, at C:\hboot, type “hack-vivow.cmd”
7. Let it run until totally complete (three to five minutes)
8. Restart phone
9. Turn USB debugging back on
10. Turn off phone
11. At this point, the phone should be unlocked, but still S-ON.
12. Go to step 4 in Incredible 2 Rooting Instructions (below) to turn S-OFF and unroot phone.

Alternatively to step 6 above, you can enter line by line the manual instructions below which is what is included in the “hack-vivow.cmd” command:

adb shell rm -r /data/local/tmp/*
adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip
fastboot reboot

Instructions to Root HTC Incredible 2 with hboot 0.97 and Android 2.3.3 – Verizon…12/8/11

1. Look for program conflicts:
a. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features
b. Check to make HTC Sync is NOT installed

2. Obtain needed files:
a. Download “HTC_rooting_files.zip” from web, and unzip to your computer with 7zip (note unzipped file location and note that I may have renamed some of the files to match what is below)

3. Install drivers:
a. Open directory named “1_HTCDriver_incredible2” and run “1_HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe” by double clicking.

4. Set phone parameters:
a. On phone, turn on USB debugging by going to Menu>Settings>Applications>Development>
b. Turn on USB debugging. Hit “OK”.
c. Connect phone to computer with USB cable. Select “charge only”, then “done”. Close any pop-up warning or box that appears.

5. Change phone to S-Off:
a. Open directory named “2_revolutionary_s-off_files_incredible2”
b. Run “revolutionary.exe” by right clicking and selecting “run in administrative mode”. (Allow if warned by security program).
c. Note the serial number on the screen when this command program stops running. Do not close this window! You will need to complete this step by adding the beta key provided in the next step.
d. Jump to step 6.
e. Input the exact beta key (case sensitive) and hit enter. Close any popups that appear on your computer.
f. While still in the black command program on your computer, allow the requested download and flash Clockwork Modrecovery by hitting “y”, and the pressing “enter”. (Allow is questioned by security program).
g. Your phone should now be a white screen with Revolutionary at the top in a purple box. Your phone is now “S-Off”
h. With “fastboot” selected on the screen, press the power button to accept.
i. Jump to step 7.

6. Obtain beta key for S-Off process:
a. Go to http://revolutionary.io
b. Click on “Downloads for Windows”. This will pop open a beta key form within the window.
c. Then cancel the download (you already have the files in the above Step 2 folder).
d. Put in your device type (Incredible 2), the Hboot (only one choice comes up), and the serial number that shows in Step 5c above. This will generate a beta key to use in the above Step 6c which will complete the S-Off process.
e. Jump back to step 6c.

7. Reset phone and load superuser files:
a. Unplug USB cable.
b. Use volume key to navigate to “recovery”, and press the power key to accept.
c. Select “reboot system now” and press the power key to accept.
d. After reboot, go to Settings>Power. Then turn off Fast Boot.
e. Connect USB and select “Disk Drive”, then “Done”.
f. Open the drive in your file explorer on your computer.
g. Drag or copy the “4_superuser.zip_ folder to this Removable Disk. This will put the folder on the mini-SD card in your phone.
h. Power off phone. Disconnect USB cable.

8. Restart phone in boot load mode.
a. With phone off, hold “down volume” and “power button” at the same time for a about five seconds and then release. Your phone should boot up with a white screen and text. If it boots to the regular phone, turn off and try again.
b. Navigate to “recovery” using the volume button and push the power button to accept.
c. Navigate to “install zip from sdcard” using the volume button, and push the power button to accept.
d. Navigate to “choose zip from sdcard” and push the power button to accept.
e. Navigate to “4_superuser.zip” and push the power button to accept.
f. Navigate to “Yes- Install” and push the power button to accept.
g. Navigate to “go back” and push the power button to accept.
h. Navigate to “reboot system now” and push the power button to accept.

9. Install apps
a. Go to Android Market app on your phone and search for AntTek App Manager. Download and install. When using agree to superuser permissions.
b. Go to Android Market app on your phone and search for Open Garden WiFi Tether. Download and install. When using agree to superuser permissions.

10. Test changes:
a. Go to app list and check to see that you have a Superuser app.
b. Go to AntTek App Manager and try to delete one of the worthless apps (approval may be required).
c. Go to Open Garden WiFi Tether and start program (approval may be requires).

11. Reconfigure settings:
a. Go to Menu>Settings>Applications>Development>. Turn off USB debugging. Hit “OK”.
b. Go to Settings>Power. Then turn off Fast Boot.
c. Go to Settings>Connect to PC>Default Connection Type, and select “Charge Only”. Then hit “Done”.

Mar 3, 2011
Actually I did run hack-vivow.cmd as administrator

If you notice in that script there is a line
Code:

The result of that line is a permission denied error. That is the first error I see in the output from hack-vivow.cmd, and I believe is the reason it will not downgrade.

jesand83

Nov 24, 2010
Rio Rancho, NM
Actually I did run hack-vivow.cmd as administrator

If you notice in that script there is a line
Code:

The result of that line is a permission denied error. That is the first error I see in the output from hack-vivow.cmd, and I believe is the reason it will not downgrade.

Just had to warranty replace mine and I'm running into the exact same problem. I get the permission denied error and a failed downgrade every time. Tried it on two separate computers. I'm honestly thinking of using the HTC approved bootloader unlocker. Why is that not the recommended method for unlocking the bootloader?

Also using a completely clean sd card, if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2011
So it seems like warranty might have done something. I did get a printout saying that the software had been upgraded.

I was considering unlocking the bootloader, but I read some posts indicating that you can't install ROMs like CM7 or MIUI just by unlocking the bootloader. There again, I could be mistaken.

faehsemc

Jun 25, 2011
Titusville
Just try doing a full factory reset. See if that helps. Re run it after.

jesand83

Nov 24, 2010
Rio Rancho, NM
Just try doing a full factory reset. See if that helps. Re run it after.

No Joy, Went through the setup process and didn't select anything. Only allowed it to activate, no Google account, no location. Same access denied message as before. I'm wondering if they've somehow tweaked the .98 bootloader in the phone they're currently sending out as warranty replacements.

Mar 3, 2011
Also no luck after a factory reset. Is there some way we can check to see if in fact the bootloader installed is different?

Sent from my ADR6350 using XDA

Mar 3, 2011
My bootloader screen displays the following

Code:
VIVO-W XB SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-0.98.0000
RADIO-1.09.01.0312
EMMC-boot
Jul 18 2011,12:39:36

With a rev year of 2011, I wouldn't think its anything recent.

Mar 3, 2011
When I tried to load the file referenced by faehsemc in the bootloader, I received the following error:

Code:
Main Version is older!
Update Fail!
Press <Power> to reboot.

The phone then reboots as if nothing has happened. I did the MD5 sum check before hand and it checked out.

Mar 3, 2011
Just out of curiosity, what does that error message mean? Is the rom on the phone the same as the one I tried to load, or actually newer than the one I tried to load?

randomdeanna

Jun 12, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
[Edited for better understanding of what's going on and another URL of where this discussion is happening]

Just jumping into say that I'm having the exact same issue-- no matter if I use hack-vivow or if I copy-paste line by line. I got a refurb via warranty and February and this process (with the exact same setup) gave me no problems; I had to get another refurb via warranty this week (stupid charging port keeps coming loose), and am stalled. Update: it would seem that zergrush is failing to gain temp root. (I discovered over at a thread on rootzwiki (to which I can't post a link because I'm new-- thread is called "Gain S-OFF and Root the HTC Incredible 2 (works on 2.3.4)"), that that's what the hellions with blue flames mean, heh.) I'm adding to my list of things tried below.

My setup & things I've tried:
-- Mac OSX 10.7 with VirtualBox VM running Ubuntu 11.04
(I realize VMs can cause wackiness, but again, I used this same setup 2x before)
-- Open terminal, and I sudo bash to run everything as root
-- I've tried re-downloading the package from the main thread
-- I've tried different ports and cables (OEM and non)
-- I've tried gaining temp root via other older means, but it seems they've all been patched, too.

Results of using hack-vivow (emphasis mine):

root@deanna-VirtualBox:~/Downloads# hack-vivow.sh
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
257 KB/s (21215 bytes in 0.080s)
154 KB/s (15837 bytes in 0.100s)

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
[**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00017118
[*] Scooting ...
[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
[*] Sending 189 zerglings ...
[-] Hellions with BLUE flames !
Sleeping 10 secs while adb restarts on the device....
/data/local/tmp/sh: permission denied
< waiting for device >
... OKAY
< waiting for device >
erasing 'cache'... OKAY
sending 'zip' (292817 KB)... OKAY
writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...
INFOsignature checking...
INFOzip header checking...
INFOzip info parsing...
INFOchecking model ID...
INFOchecking custom ID...
INFOchecking main version...
FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)
rebooting...

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2011
I get the same output as randomdeanna. Also like randomdeanna I have previously done this with the exact same files and setup.

Seems like those warranty repairs do something to these phones.