Official Last.fm client for Android

Search This thread

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
Title says it all basically. Last.fm has finally released an official client for Android.

http://www.cyrket.com/package/fm.last.android

http://blog.last.fm/2009/01/23/lastfm-on-android
http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/01/lastfm-arrives.html

lastfmlg03_listen.jpg

Last edited:

dotsha

Dec 7, 2008
I keep searching but can't find this app on the market through my phone. As I live in Malaysia, I'm wondering if it is restricted to certain countries only? Is anyone else in other countries having problems finding it in the market?

While on that topic, does anyone know how the market identifies which country you are in? Via Geo-IP? or the installed SIM card? Is there a way to bypass this and download the .apks ? :cool:

schizox

Oct 9, 2008
I keep searching but can't find this app on the market through my phone. As I live in Malaysia, I'm wondering if it is restricted to certain countries only? Is anyone else in other countries having problems finding it in the market?

While on that topic, does anyone know how the market identifies which country you are in? Via Geo-IP? or the installed SIM card? Is there a way to bypass this and download the .apks ? :cool:

i search and cant find.. not even on cyrket...since its linked i think its linked directly with the market
yes, im guessing its GeoIP bull crap ...(i really really hate that, being that im a native english speaker not living in the UK or the US, (living in panama) and endup getting all pages loading in spanish)

either way, setting a proxy "might help" i want this app just did not have the time today to test out setting up an http proxy on the phone (accessed option through anycut shortct) but it did not work.. so im guessing setting up a proxy on your router "might" work thats if u use a usa proxy.

i might just wait till someone downloads and posts the apk file here :p

Beast84

Oct 28, 2007
Albuquerque
The only thing I noticed is that its kinda quiet... Anyone else come to this conclusion? I have my phone volume & media volume at 100%. Other than that, its an awesome app!

Was waiting for Pandora but I have an account for both so it works for me

dotsha

Dec 7, 2008
i search and cant find.. not even on cyrket...since its linked i think its linked directly with the market

I can find it on cyrket, you have to search for last<space>fm as opposed to last<dot>fm. But can't download from cyrket so that doesn't solve much ... :cool:

Anyone got it want to post an .apk somewhere? :cool:

schizox

Oct 9, 2008
I can find it on cyrket, you have to search for last<space>fm as opposed to last<dot>fm. But can't download from cyrket so that doesn't solve much ... :cool:

Anyone got it want to post an .apk somewhere? :cool:

hmm odd, i thought i did all possible search strings....
and searching last <space> fm in the market does not bring anythign up for you either??

once i get time im going to try and hook the phone through a usa proxy from one of my servers and see if the market brings up more apps

ghassan99

Aug 3, 2006
I had the same problem, then I saw it on the list of featured apps and I downloaded it. Strange I know. Just try to refresh the list of featured apps until you get it, it might solve your problem for now. I do not reside in the US, so It might not be a location issue, unless the featured app is an oversight!

-Gus

schizox

Oct 9, 2008
I had the same problem, then I saw it on the list of featured apps and I downloaded it. Strange I know. Just try to refresh the list of featured apps until you get it, it might solve your problem for now. I do not reside in the US, so It might not be a location issue, unless the featured app is an oversight!

-Gus

thanks for the tip, will try, still hasn't popped up for me on the featured apps, though the market must be filtering applications based on geo location
though now we know the featured apps is exempt from that filter (for now)

dotsha

Dec 7, 2008
hehe ... it appeared on Featured Apps in the browser and I quickly grabbed it. Playing fine now.

punkweakling

Dec 9, 2008
I grabbed mine from the Featured items as well. Why the heck does the search not work for some apps? MyMaps was the same.

wergeld

Mar 13, 2007
I love this app. A lot.
Only down side: there is no exit option. and my task manager app wont kill it either.
other than that it is awesome.

wergeld

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
Only down side: there is no exit option. and my task manager app wont kill it either.
This is actually a characteristic of Android and not the Last.fm app in particular. Android (as well as some other embedded operating systems) is designed so that app lifecycles are managed by the os, not the user. Working as intended.

wergeld

Mar 13, 2007
jashu - Yes, I know that android will monitor apps and close ones that are not used for a long time, I actually like that. What I mean is that the last time I used the app was Friday when I was at work, came home, left my msg here and today (Sunday) the app is still running. I do not have it playing anything, it is not looking at my catalog/library or anything else. When I use the task manager app to close it, it pops back up.
On the imeem app there is an option to logout. When you logout it closes the app as well - internally to the app, not Android closing it. So I think this can be written into the Last.FM app as well, yes?
Not a ding against the app, just something to be aware of.

wergeld

gribble

Aug 17, 2005
Hey,
I also can't find the app in the market (german provider with an uk RC8 JF1.41 phone). So can someone please post the .apk somewhere?

schizox

Oct 9, 2008
there is an update for the last.fm client
think it scrobbles now
but.......
i cant update it... so i guess i have to look for it on featured apps again, then re-download...

the app seeps not to show up on wifi , and on some providers on data plan

let us know if ur able to snag the updated file

schizox

Oct 9, 2008
lol i jsut came back to edit
was able to snag the update file...

thnx anywayz !!