• YES

Votes: 1,270 94.8%
  • NO

Votes: 69 5.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

xanthrax

Retired Senior Moderator - Vampire
There are a lot of people joining xda on daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked which fill up Development threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions. Idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in the direction where that user can find an answer and educate himself

First thing first. I strongly advise you to read THIS thread before posting ANYTHING on XDA.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in post no2, you might find what you need right away.

For ROM issues please do mention in your post about:
ROM name
ROM version and base
kernel version and its settings
any mods applied on top of it
flashing "style" aka dirty or clean
something like this
...and be sure you have asked before on the ROM thread unless you have less than 10 posts on XDA

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please, do come back and read threads in post no2 (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time and frustration it will save you in the future.

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE,adb, drivers, superCID etc...... You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! No question is stupid in this thread.

***I feel that a little OT is healthy to the success of this type of thread. The people here who help the most will develop a comradery therefore OT is allowed within reason. Common sense will be applied ;)***

HALL OF FAME
People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their problems/questions. In no particular order. These people also have the right to use the banner below :)
eep2378
bassmadrigal
Stryder5
trell959
thephantom
-Asskicker-
DowntownJeffBrown ��
azrash
rskyline
fenstre
undercover
scream4cheese
xanthrax
gee2012
spaceman860
zelendel
Android Pizza
Chromium_
Jugg1es
shengovind
OhDae-su
abaaaabbbb63
Berrydroidcafe
themike10452
plegdroid
jd1639

HelpThreadNexus4_128.gif

Just add this code to your sig
HTML:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1980135"][IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26257623/HelpThreadNexus4_128.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
WALL OF SHAME! :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: @jugg1es @jugg1es @jugg1es @jugg1es

This post is not just duplicate of kidCarter93 Index thread. This is to be used to point people in the right direction.
Example:
Q: How can i unlock my Nexus 4?
A: Go post no2, link no5

No spoonfeeding, user pointed in the right direction, you get your kudo- everyone happy!

1. [REF] Nexus 4: Technical Specification Breakdown by l0st.prophet

2. [REF]Specs,Reviews,Videos,FAQ,Development | Things you need to know about the Nexus4 by eep2378 and Prawesome

3. [INDEX] ROMs, Kernels, Recoveries, Guides, etc by KidCarter93

4. Standalone ADB with FASTBOOT by tinky1 (extract anywhere and double click on .bat file)

5. [DRIVERS] Nexus 4 Driver for Windows by Stryder5

6. [REF][GUIDE][11/03/2012] Unlocking the Bootloader by TheDarkDefender

7. [ROOT][CONFIRMED WORKING] Root Nexus 4 Using Insecure Boot Image and ADB by HQRaja

8. Nexus 4 Stock OTA and Factory Image URLs by oldblue910

9. [HOW-TO] How to flash a factory image / return to stock / unlock / root # by efrant

10. [NEXUS 4 TOOLKIT] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Flash, Mods + MUCH MORE by mskip

11. [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit by WugFresh

Last edited:

Mohit12

Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai
Okay, I'll be the first noob.
1 - I'm getting this phone from the US where they use a 110 volt connection, whereas in India we use a 220 volt connection. What accessories should I get along with my phone to ensure my phone charges perfectly and does not spoil the battery?

2 - Will the charger of another phone (Samsung Galaxy 3. Not S3, just 3) work just fine with the Nexus 4? When I use a Blackberry charger on my Galaxy 3, it starts acting funny like sometimes the screen becomes unresponsive or it reboots. I'm asking because although the G3 and the Nexus 4 both use the same micro USB port, they're made by different companies.

3 - I read somewhere that this phone comes with a plastic/silicon cover or something to put so that a fall doesn't break the Gorilla glass. Is that true?

EDIT : 4 - I'm also using a portable charger (a small one). Link : http://theheatweb.com/milktube-portable-battery-charger-smartphone-led-light/. I can continue to use this, right?

Last edited:

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
1 - I'm getting this phone from the US where they use a 110 volt connection, whereas in India we use a 220 volt connection. What accessories should I get along with my phone to ensure my phone charges perfectly and does not spoil the battery?

2 - Will the charger of another phone (Samsung Galaxy 3. Not S3, just 3) work just fine with the Nexus 4? When I use a Blackberry charger on my Galaxy 3, it starts acting funny like sometimes the screen becomes unresponsive or it reboots. I'm asking because although the G3 and the Nexus 4 both use the same micro USB port, they're made by different companies.

3 - I read somewhere that this phone comes with a plastic/silicon cover or something to put so that a fall doesn't break the Gorilla glass. Is that true?

1. Just use any AC charger that has USB output. If you encounter touch problems, try different charger.
2. See 1
3. Haven't seen anything like that mentioned yet.

May 12, 2012
Rome
hello, in t mobile stores sell the nexus 4 without contract? I will come to New York on vacation from Italy and I would like to take them, also, you know how much is this phone?

eep2378

Aug 12, 2010
MA

EDIT : 4 - I'm also using a portable charger (a small one). Link : http://theheatweb.com/milktube-portable-battery-charger-smartphone-led-light/. I can continue to use this, right?

1) use the charger that comes with the phone and you should be fine.

3) all phone comes with plastic/tape like covering but it's just part of the normal covering/packaging. If you want you can leave it on to protect the device until you get a proper case, etc

eep2378

Aug 12, 2010
MA
What's the best, cheapest GSM plan? I looked at StraightTalk and saw they had some pretty unlimited plan for $45/month, but I thought I heard T-Mobile offered something better, idk though.

I think ST is probably the cheapest, but there are some drawbacks(i.e you get flagged/possibility of them canceling your service if you use too much data). The odds of this actually happening are very rare. Many users have used ST and used like 5gb monthly with nary a warning. Also if you get good tmobile coverage in your area than you may wanna consider it. The N4 is capable if using tmobiles 42mbps 4g service. So you may get faster data speeds with Tmo vs ST.

ctowne

Feb 1, 2012
Hampton, NH
What's the best, cheapest GSM plan? I looked at StraightTalk and saw they had some pretty unlimited plan for $45/month, but I thought I heard T-Mobile offered something better, idk though.

If you get good T-Mobile service where you are then get their prepaid $30 a month plan with 100 minutes, unlimited text, and 5GB of unthrottled "4G". Also, ST does have the option to run on either AT&T or T-Mobile if you need more minutes or something.

wngmv

Sep 9, 2009
hello, in t mobile stores sell the nexus 4 without contract? I will come to New York on vacation from Italy and I would like to take them, also, you know how much is this phone?

I think it is 500 dollars plus tax,which is about 10% in NYC. If you don't have a US credit card you might not be able to buy it from Play Store and ship to the hotel. You could try it with Nexus 7 now.

ppero196

Apr 14, 2012
Up north!
Ask someone to buy it for you (if you know some xda member from NY) via Play Store and you pick it up when you arrive

Sent from my MB526 using xda app-developers app

DarkShadow85

Nov 8, 2012
Have a couple questions about sim card compatibility. I have a galaxy vibrant on bell in Canada, I have already been scouring this site and others, and have just purchased a sim card cutter on amazon. But I do have a couple of other questions, will I get 4g HSPA+ speeds with my currant contract (galaxy vibrant is 3g)? And will I have to make any changes with bell or on the new phone itself? Thanks in advance.

ppero196

Apr 14, 2012
Up north!
Have a couple questions about sim card compatibility. I have a galaxy vibrant on bell in Canada, I have already been scouring this site and others, and have just purchased a sim card cutter on amazon. But I do have a couple of other questions, will I get 4g HSPA+ speeds with my currant contract (galaxy vibrant is 3g)? And will I have to make any changes with bell or on the new phone itself? Thanks in advance.

If you buy it from play store it will be GSM and unlocked.
Nexus 4 supports HSPA+ but not LTE, so it will work

Reactions: DarkShadow85

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK

If phone bands are compatible with your network (which they should be) and your network offers hspa+ you shouldn't have a problem. Easily searchable. BTW, hspa+ is NOT 4G, you guys in North America have been victims of marketing.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

eep2378

Aug 12, 2010
MA

See my post at the top of this page :)

ppero196

Apr 14, 2012
Up north!
I would preorder my phone, but I am afraid of the border customs (cause I need to pay tax).
I was thinking of buying via a fellow RC from US. He orders it from Play Store and sends it to me.
But if the police finds out, my phone could end as public property :(
If I want to do legal way and pay the 400% tax then the phone will be mine, but expensive)
Also it would be too expensive if I want to buy it via my carrier

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are a lot of people joining xda on daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked which fill up Development threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions. Idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in the direction where that user can find an answer and educate himself

First thing first. I strongly advise you to read THIS thread before posting ANYTHING on XDA.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in post no2, you might find what you need right away.

For ROM issues please do mention in your post about:
    ROM name
    ROM version and base
    kernel version and its settings
    any mods applied on top of it
    flashing "style" aka dirty or clean
    something like this
    ...and be sure you have asked before on the ROM thread unless you have less than 10 posts on XDA

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please, do come back and read threads in post no2 (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time and frustration it will save you in the future.

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE,adb, drivers, superCID etc...... You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! No question is stupid in this thread.

***I feel that a little OT is healthy to the success of this type of thread. The people here who help the most will develop a comradery therefore OT is allowed within reason. Common sense will be applied ;)***

HALL OF FAME
    People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their problems/questions. In no particular order. These people also have the right to use the banner below :)
    eep2378
    bassmadrigal
    Stryder5
    trell959
    thephantom
    -Asskicker-
    DowntownJeffBrown ��
    azrash
    rskyline
    fenstre
    undercover
    scream4cheese
    xanthrax
    gee2012
    spaceman860
    zelendel
    Android Pizza
    Chromium_
    Jugg1es
    shengovind
    OhDae-su
    abaaaabbbb63
    Berrydroidcafe
    themike10452
    plegdroid
    jd1639

HelpThreadNexus4_128.gif

Just add this code to your sig
    HTML:
    [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1980135"][IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26257623/HelpThreadNexus4_128.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    WALL OF SHAME! :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: @jugg1es @jugg1es @jugg1es @jugg1es

This post is not just duplicate of kidCarter93 Index thread. This is to be used to point people in the right direction.
    Example:
    Q: How can i unlock my Nexus 4?
    A: Go post no2, link no5

No spoonfeeding, user pointed in the right direction, you get your kudo- everyone happy!

1. [REF] Nexus 4: Technical Specification Breakdown by l0st.prophet

2. [REF]Specs,Reviews,Videos,FAQ,Development | Things you need to know about the Nexus4 by eep2378 and Prawesome

3. [INDEX] ROMs, Kernels, Recoveries, Guides, etc by KidCarter93

4. Standalone ADB with FASTBOOT by tinky1 (extract anywhere and double click on .bat file)

5. [DRIVERS] Nexus 4 Driver for Windows by Stryder5

6. [REF][GUIDE][11/03/2012] Unlocking the Bootloader by TheDarkDefender

7. [ROOT][CONFIRMED WORKING] Root Nexus 4 Using Insecure Boot Image and ADB by HQRaja

8. Nexus 4 Stock OTA and Factory Image URLs by oldblue910

9. [HOW-TO] How to flash a factory image / return to stock / unlock / root # by efrant

10. [NEXUS 4 TOOLKIT] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Flash, Mods + MUCH MORE by mskip

11. [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit by WugFresh
    hey guys sorry for asking this but I try to get titanium back up pro from blackmart alpha. first I download the free version from blackmart alpha and then I download the pro key. but after I install it, the pro key is not working. any idea why? it also happen to app like nova launcher prime :confused:

please help me :eek:

thx

Buy it.
    Linaro is not only in the kernels, I believe it is a compiler and it's "hot" with new roms right now. There's a feature with Google Talk, if you use Talk as your voicemail, you're able to play the voicemail in the call log screen without going to Talk app. Linaro breaks it due to audio libs or something alike.

In all seriousness now, how do I install ios 6 on my nexus 4?
    /s

1. Get iPhone 5
    2. Place N4 next to it
    3. Drop a brick on iPhone
    4. Watch it's soul leave the body and transfer to N4
    5. Success rate infinity/1

No no no, I'm not a grammar Nazi. I'm a grammar Commie!
    Hello everyone, I'm pretty much new to XDA and modding in general. I own a Nexus 4 and I wanted to flash the Paranoid Android ROM.

My two cents;

1. Learn how to use adb and stay away from toolkits. They work brilliantly but opaquely and it's in your best interest to know what's happening with your phones firmware in detail.

2. Don't do anything until you learn how to make, store and restore nandroid backups. The N4 is virtually unbrickable and PA is rock solid after the 4.3 merge.

I'm a novice as well but modding is fascinating to me. Since my only phone is also a business phone I usually wait till Friday to flash new software so I have time to restore in the event of problems. Hasn't happened yet. Have fun.