DBA "Just Like Glass®" Screen Protector - ZAGG Killer?

Search This thread

aquariuz23

Mar 3, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I don't know if it's "normal" but it's definitely not acceptable. I recently put one on mine (I'll post some pictures later when I have time) and have a number of issues but the color banding is probably the worst and if it's considered normal there's probably no point in buying or requesting a replacement. It's definitely not just visible with the phone off.

What I've found is its visibility is very dependent on the type of lighting. It's not visible with no external lighting and it's either not visible or only barely visible with natural or tungsten lighting. However, under fluorescent lighting (both CFL and traditional office fluorescent tubes) it's very noticeable. Even under mixed lighting it can be very visible if fluorescent is part of the mix. At my office I get a fair bit of natural light from the window but it's mixed with fluorescent light from the ceiling and the banding patterns are visible to the point of distraction. Under CFL lighting at home at night they practically obscure the display.

You, sir, nailed this on the head. I could not have explained it any better. It is really dependent on what light is reflecting off of it. At night or at home with no fluorescent lighting, it is barely visible at all. At the office, I almost can't see the screen. I have not tried this out in the sun. But yeah, it is really unacceptable that a UV coating will cause rainbow banding. It doesn't make sense. I've seen UV coatings on many things, and I don't see bandings on them. I wonder if I can ask for my money back.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Feb 14, 2013
Two week Review

So after two weeks most of the bubbles have finally come out. My nexus 7 has a few at the top that I think ill never go away. My iphone 4s has all of them gone. Although a small round concentrated area is discoloured, this only started after a few days. Scott sent me free replacements which I am happy with. On both protectors the edges have lifted some. In tight jeans I believe this could eventually be a problem. Clarity ( besides that one spot) is perfect. Smoothness is perfect. Although I am noticing many little microscratches all over the screen I did not get with other protectors. I have two nasty scratches on the bottom of the cover on my iphone. The scratch ability is a little worse than the Zagg HD. It scratches a tad easier. All in all, still satisfied.

SSHGuru

May 12, 2011
Two week Review

So after two weeks most of the bubbles have finally come out. My nexus 7 has a few at the top that I think ill never go away. My iphone 4s has all of them gone. Although a small round concentrated area is discoloured, this only started after a few days. Scott sent me free replacements which I am happy with. On both protectors the edges have lifted some. In tight jeans I believe this could eventually be a problem. Clarity ( besides that one spot) is perfect. Smoothness is perfect. Although I am noticing many little microscratches all over the screen I did not get with other protectors. I have two nasty scratches on the bottom of the cover on my iphone. The scratch ability is a little worse than the Zagg HD. It scratches a tad easier. All in all, still satisfied.

Thanks for the review.

And it will scratch (not deeply) more than ZAGG because it's a hard protector rather than a soft.

It's a trade off, Zagg is more scratch resistant, and JLG feels and looks more like glass. Two completely different kinds of protectors.

I wish I could find a way to do it all..

Scott

liamR

Feb 14, 2007
Hi Scott,

I want to order 3 JLG for my SGS3s and one for my Nexus 4 (F+B) from your website. Will I get the last cut ?

I read on the Nexus 4 forum that only the front SP for the N4 is JLG and the back is inferior plain SP, Is that true ?

I want the same shatterproof protection for my N4 back as my front SP (I going to use it with LG's bumper).

thedauntlessone

Sep 18, 2010
Hi, I received a shipping notice from DBA on January 30. However I still have not received my order. I sent an email to support@dbacases.com but I haven't heard back yet. I want to know if my protector has in fact been shipped out.

Feb 14, 2013
Two questions for scott. Whats your plans for the Canadian Market? Have you reached out to retail in Canada. Futureshop and Best Buy in Canada apply SO many Zagg protectors for people. Have you asked them about having your screen protectors in their stores and having them install them. Also, do you plan to offer a warranty for your protectors for scratches where you pay like $6.00 and get a new one shipped?

Feb 14, 2013
haha touche. Good points for sure. Having two in a pack for a few dollars more is a great idea. I hope a canadian retailer gets them soon, be nice to have quicker shipping. ( not at all your fault)

liamR

Feb 14, 2007
Hi all,

I received the SPs a few days ago and installed it on two of my S3s, I notice that the cut doesn't fit like my previous SPs and the edges will not stick (even after I did as instructed in the manual and videos) the most annoying thing is that the black cloth left black particles under the edges, and from a close look it looks bad.

I think that I didn't get the latest cut and I'm overall very disappointed. I'll try to contact Scott or customer service and see how it goes...

Here some photos -

Reactions: evgeny71

evgeny71

Mar 30, 2012
Hi all,

I received the SPs a few days ago and installed it on two of my S3s, I notice that the cut doesn't fit like my previous SPs and the edges will not stick (even after I did as instructed in the manual and videos) the most annoying thing is that the black cloth left black particles under the edges, and from a close look it looks bad.

I think that I didn't get the latest cut and I'm overall very disappointed. I'll try to contact Scott or customer service and see how it goes...

+1
Same issue here!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
Hi all,

Here some photos -

They still haven't replaced the harmful black cloth with something better? It's been 3 months since that happened to me. They really need to replace the cloth as soon as possible.

It wastes a lot of good films.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

evgeny71

Mar 30, 2012
I'm just wondering - can this SP be taken off, washed and reapplied with new solution? Or it has some kind of adhesive layer that cannot be reused?

Last edited:

amf66

Jun 11, 2011
Houston
I'm just wondering - can this SP be taken off, washed and reapplied with new solution? Or it has some kind of adhesive layer that cannot be reused?

I wouldn't recommend trying to reapply it since it does have an adhesive layer that is almost impossible to reuse. Unless it's really awful don't try to reapply.

evgeny71

Mar 30, 2012
I wouldn't recommend trying to reapply it since it does have an adhesive layer that is almost impossible to reuse. Unless it's really awful don't try to reapply.

Thought so. Thanks!

It's actually not too bad. Only the edges won't stick. And that sucks!

Sent from my rocket-fast, butter-smooth Galaxy S III

amf66

Jun 11, 2011
Houston
Thought so. Thanks!

It's actually not too bad. Only the edges won't stick. And that sucks!

Have you kept pushing down on them? Because of the stiffness of this SP and the way the screen is curved on the GS3 it's normal for people to have a few millimeters on the edges that isn't all the way stuck.

evgeny71

Mar 30, 2012
Have you kept pushing down on them? Because of the stiffness of this SP and the way the screen is curved on the GS3 it's normal for people to have a few millimeters on the edges that isn't all the way stuck.

I push them down 2-3-4 times a day, as recommended. But they pill back off. I don't believe that any adhesive has left yet under the edges. On their installation video it shows that all the edges are stuck nicely.

chill145

Aug 21, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Asus Zenfone 9
They still haven't replaced the harmful black cloth with something better? It's been 3 months since that happened to me. They really need to replace the cloth as soon as possible.

It wastes a lot of good films.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Yeah i tried for about a good 20 minutes trying to get it right but I'm getting the same results. I wish you got a couple so you could try again if it messed up. Oh well, Scott is a great guy, customer service was great but I'm going go back to spigen (it took my last fall like a champ when i dropped it on rocks, hence reason for trying this)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

ultra_nyamuk

Jun 20, 2010
I have been using the JLG for a few months already. Its great so far...but im not sure which cut did i get..because its even smaller than the previous posts..i think its the 3rd or 4th revision..haha~ Anyway...i messed up my first install. Left some lint and it dried out and i noticed the banding too. The surprising part was me taking it out..(after it cured) clean it and reapplied(using homemade mild soap+water). Then i noticed it had a little dirt.. then i took it off again and cleaned the JLG and reapplied. Its really hard to come off and im surprised the adhesive still works. It doesnt peel off the edges and there are no more rainbow banding. Maybe the banding is caused by the solution? Its still as clear and scratch free up till now. i think i took it out after it dried at least twice and its still ok and it really takes alot of effort to pry it off the screen. So i guess im happy with this purchase :) Im not suggesting to remove and reapply though..i did it thinking i would damage the JLG but i couldnt stand the lint. Maybe i just got a "good batch" :cool:

Reactions: evgeny71

evgeny71

Mar 30, 2012
I have been using the JLG for a few months already. Its great so far...but im not sure which cut did i get..because its even smaller than the previous posts..i think its the 3rd or 4th revision..haha~ Anyway...i messed up my first install. Left some lint and it dried out and i noticed the banding too. The surprising part was me taking it out..(after it cured) clean it and reapplied(using homemade mild soap+water). Then i noticed it had a little dirt.. then i took it off again and cleaned the JLG and reapplied. Its really hard to come off and im surprised the adhesive still works. It doesnt peel off the edges and there are no more rainbow banding. Maybe the banding is caused by the solution? Its still as clear and scratch free up till now. i think i took it out after it dried at least twice and its still ok and it really takes alot of effort to pry it off the screen. So i guess im happy with this purchase :) Im not suggesting to remove and reapply though..i did it thinking i would damage the JLG but i couldnt stand the lint. Maybe i just got a "good batch" :cool:

How did you clean it? Did you wash it with water or what ?:confused:

Last edited:

falcons2

Jun 19, 2011
austintown
I noticed I have a scratch on my screen protector. It is not very deep but its very noticeable on white pages. Will it eventually go away or is the scratch permanent.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just Like Glass Screen Protectors

Hey all,

I'm not really new but I tend to post on other forums. I come here for the good stuff on rooting.

I'm the CEO of DBA Cases, Inc.

I did start the company, however I had several investors. After having an Original Droid, a Bionic, and a Galaxy Nexus I had a very good idea of what people liked.

Personally I hated screen protectors and was not going to sell one until we came up with this. I have it on my phone and love it. It protects against breaks as well - my photographer asked me why I went into making cases so I took the phone out of the case and it squirted out of my hand - hit the wall and then our tile floor. No damage at all to the phone but a very small micro scratch on the Just Like Glass Protector. It probably would have shattered. I've found that the most you can do is give it micro scratches - you can't feel them or see them with the screen on. That's what I got from the fall and it doesn't bother me at all.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Scott
    has no one taken any photos of this on their phone yet?

Im having a bit of hard time with the 7 people who got the early demo cuts begging to get them, and then not saying much, or posting any photos up here for others to see.

These photos will help Scott out with sales, and i would have thought that recieving an early product would kind of get you to do something to help this amazing new product along.

i cant wait to get mine in, and i will be sure to post up MANY photos of the protector, as well as the various cases i ordered.
    The size our our company compared to ZAGG is like comparing an ant to an elephant.

ZAGG ships 50,000 orders a day, which doesn't include what they sell at Best Buy and Wal-Mart.

I can easily offer a screen protector that is the same quality as ZAGG. I can include three to a package and give a lifetime warranty. That's because the cost of that kind of protector is nothing.

Our protectors cost 20 times more to make compared to any other company in the business. There is a reason we are the only ones in the business that offer the type of protector we do.

They don't come from China, Japan or Korea - we have them made in the United States. They are ultra high end protectors.

If you bought a case for your phone does it have a lifetime warranty?

My company has a strict rule against selling cheap, inexpensive products. Our cases are made of higher quality materials than anyone else in the business including Otterbox.

At the same time my views on customer service is that it must be as good as the products we provide. Since we are a relatively new company we are figuring out much of this as we go.

So far the unofficial guidelines are that if you mess up an install we'll ship another for 50% off. If we send you a defective product we ask for a picture so you don't have to send it back, wait for an RMA process, and then get a new one. We send a replacement right away.

As far as damage to the protector while you are using it, the same policy that buying a case applies - it saved your screen or your device so be happy and buy a new one. Our protectors are break resistant. We have some video's on our site demonstrating it.

As others have said if you read though the thread I take care of all of the customer service myself and I'm very generous. The people on this thread have helped me size protectors, improve installation instructions, and given me a ton of valuable feedback. I regard anyone from XDA as a premium customer.

There will soon be a point where I cannot do all of the customer service. By then we should have official guidelines which will be posted to our site. They likely will be what I've described.

However I'll personally be here on the forums to handle all of the XDA related issues.

Scott
    Saran Wrap is a Zagg killer.
    Follow-up questions!

Anybody with a full-cut:

How is swiping from the edges? Do your fingers get caught on the screen protector?

Anybody with a DBA Thin Grip (DBATG)

How is swiping from the edges? That is, how high is the lip? Can you swipe readily every time or once in a while, you get caught by the case?

--

Also, what is the return policy? I imagine for screen protectors there isn't one once its been applied, but what about cases? I didn't find anything on the website.

I have been using mine for 3 days now and haven't had any issues at all. I have the ultra and the lip never gets in the way, so I'd assume the thin grip would be just as good if not better as far as the lip goes.

Is this the "full cut" I received today direct from dba's website? Waited for this new cut before I ordered; and avoided Amazon so as to not chance it and this is what I got. There is absolutely no edge of the glass protection.
    View attachment 1431551

The 2nd protector I got in my order of 2 units isn't even a pre-cut protector, just a sheet of the material cut like a sharp square?!
    View attachment 1431559

Not happy so far... Will be emailing Scott on these issues. Ordered on 10/21 received today.

The Armor Suit I have on my other S3 is a perfect edge-to-edge protector.

All I can say is maybe you should read the information in this thread before ordering. I'm 100% happy with mine. I actually prefer not having edge to edge protection, that way there is zero chance of any case interfering or causing the edges to lift up. I guess you just can't satisfy all the people all the time, but it's really your responsibility to research before buying.