[Q] All vibration stopped working and I can't fix it

Search This thread

Deenybird

Nov 29, 2010
Philadelphia
Out of the blue yesterday, my AT&T Moto X stopped vibrating. I noticed it first with the soft keys (home, back etc) but it affects everything from vibrating on ringing, to enabling silent mode, to unlocking with active display, to games.

I've tried rebooting and toggling vibration in settings. I've downloaded vibration tester apps from the Play Store. I only have the same ~70 or so apps that most of us use (dropbox, weather channel etc) and I don't run any obscure apps (less than 1000's of downloads), and I hadn't downloaded anything new for hours before the problem started.

I feel I've tried all the basic stuff, except factory reset, I don't think there's anything too obvious I'm overlooking.

So that leaves me facing either a hardware or software problem. I doubt its a problem with the physical vibration motor. Factory defects are so ridiculously rare that it should never be your first course of action. However, if it's a problem with the hardware I could try my local ATT Service Center. If it's a software problem, which seems much more likely, I could try a factory reset on the device. However it seemed a wise idea to post this question to the pros before I go down that road.

Appreciate any help you guys can offer.

AT&T Moto X
Not rooted

sarshadd

Dec 29, 2010
my gf's at&t motox running 4.2 lost vibration too. after many many reboots it would randomly work, or work very weakly (so it wasn't a problem with the physical motor, maybe it was an electrical connection to the motor?).

it was covered under warranty. they gave her a code, she re-did motomaker, and returned her original broken phone in the box the new one came in.

Reactions: Rodrigo_Codina

mawells787

Feb 27, 2011
New York
I just performed a standard factory reset on the device and the problem persists... No vibrations, anywhere.
Is there anything else I can try? or am i headed to a service center?

You can sbf back to 4.2.2. I had a connectivity problem and a factory reset didn't fix it. But going back to 4.2.2 and taking the OTA did.

All the files are in the Dev section. If the links are broken I have copies of everything I can share. Except the 4.2.2 file for att I have Verizon.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Deenybird

Nov 29, 2010
Philadelphia
The final verdict:
With nothing else working (factory reset, safe mode etc) I took the device to the ATT service center. They replaced the device, attributing the problem to defective hardware. Still find it hard to believe it was actually the hardware, but I don't see any other conclusions to draw.
Thanks for everyone's help.

The final verdict:
With nothing else working (factory reset, safe mode etc) I took the device to the ATT service center. They replaced the device, attributing the problem to defective hardware. Still find it hard to believe it was actually the hardware, but I don't see any other conclusions to draw.
Thanks for everyone's help.

At least it worked out and you have a working phone again.

Dec 14, 2015
São Paulo
I am with this problem right now and i can´t fix it.
After i flashed CM13 without Gapps my Moto X 2nd (xt1097 brazil) all vibration stopped working.

I tried going back to stock rom 5.1, 6.0 and even NX 10.1 but with NX i can hear something vibrating the phone, so i eliminated the possibilite of a hardware malfunction.
I don´t know what to do...
please help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would try a factory reset if you done everything else. My wife's Galaxy S3 did the same thing after the update to 4.3. A factory reset fixed it.
    my gf's at&t motox running 4.2 lost vibration too. after many many reboots it would randomly work, or work very weakly (so it wasn't a problem with the physical motor, maybe it was an electrical connection to the motor?).

it was covered under warranty. they gave her a code, she re-did motomaker, and returned her original broken phone in the box the new one came in.
    I hate the vibration in this thing. I would love mine to stop lol

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    I just performed a standard factory reset on the device and the problem persists... No vibrations, anywhere.

You can sbf back to 4.2.2. I had a connectivity problem and a factory reset didn't fix it. But going back to 4.2.2 and taking the OTA did.

All the files are in the Dev section. If the links are broken I have copies of everything I can share. Except the 4.2.2 file for att I have Verizon.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk