[INFO] Motorola MotoACTV Root/Rom/Info Thread

Search This thread

ClearD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
mr0pj.jpg
I figured since there is finally a place to post this, I will do so here. There is currently ongoing development for the Motorola MotoACTV smart watch. It began simply as a fitness watch, but has evolved with root, recovery, and roms into the best android watch available.

AND IT CAME OUT IN NOVEMBER OF 2011.

Interesting, yes? Let me get you some details from our current wiki (http://motoactv.wikispaces.com/home, started from the members right here on xda):

Code:
Hardware Specs:

Processor: 600MHz OMAP3 (3630) ARMv7 CPU supporting ARM architecture:
     - thumb, vfp, vfpv3, edsp & neon. (overclockable to 1Ghz currently)
    256MB of RAM and 8GB of NAND Flash Memory (Or 16 GB)
    Wifi 802.11B/G/N
    Bluetooth 4.0 (low-power mode)
    ANT+ for connectivity to fitness sensors (heart rate, etc.)
    FM Tuner (with Radio Data System for station & song identification)
    PowerVR GPU
    1.6" 220x176 capacitive multitouch LCD display
    5 hardware buttons on the side:
     - (Start, Music, Volume +, Volume -, Standby/Power)
    1 additional capacitive button on the front for 'back button'.
    Ambient light sensor
    White charging and notification LEDs
    Accelerometer
    GPS

So now that you're intrigued, let me give you some resources to get you started!

Main XDA Thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1399692

Root Tool and Image Flasher:
MAKE SURE YOU CHARGE TO 100% BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS!!!
http://www.cleardroidroms.com/motoactv.php
I MEAN IT!!! CHARGE TO 100% BEFORE DOING ANY FLASHING!!!

Overclocking:
Dproldan's Overclock - Easy windows installer in this post

Roms:
ClearDroid MotoACTV
DPRom for MotoACTV
ReACTV Rom
RunKeeperACTV for MotoACTV
FreeFly ROM
CEnnis91's stock roms/AnyRoot

Custom Watch Faces:
Custom Watch Faces Thread

Bluetooth PAN Tethering Instructions (Internet via Bluetooth from Phone to Watch)
Saeviomage's Tutorial

MotoACTV TCX Exporter:
SuperDave's MotoACTV TCX data exporter thread

Known working apps
Known working apps thread

IF YOU DIDN'T LISTEN AND ARE NOW "LOW BATTERY" AND CANNOT FLASH:
First thing's first. It will probably still charge on the wall charger or a car charger. Try that first. But, if it won't...
(or if you're just an avid flasher,) I'd also recommend you get one of these to help you out of jams: Motorola Factory Cable. The one at that link from Team Black Hat is typically out of stock, but a search of the words "Motorola Factory Fastboot Cable" on eBay can get you one for between $5-8. This cable does not charge your unit and does not come with the MotoACTV.

Any questions? Please post below. And GET YOUR ACTV ON! ;)

Last edited:

adity

Aug 18, 2012
mumbai
Re: Motorola MotoACTV

What's the cost?

Sent from my MT11i using xda app-developers app

ClearD

Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis

Mine brand new when they first came out was $249 for the 8g, but substantially lower now, I'm sure.

Sent using XDA-funded carrier pigeons

ClearD

Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis

eBay is always good. :)

Update: just checked, they're going for $50-200 on ebay, lots are on there for sale.

Also, I will be updating the first post of this thread with any info/links that you guys need. We would love for more development of this device, since we've been doing it for months/years now.

Last edited:

Jakmalmo

Aug 11, 2012
Wow this seems great! Youtube and a browser. I recently bought myself the Sony Smart Watch, and I was not too impressed with the battery life time, how is this ones?
I also managed to ruin my SmartWatch, but I'm gonna get it refunded from the store :) I'll probably get this from eBay! Is there any bugs/problems I should know about from the Motorola watch?

ClearD

Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
Wow this seems great! Youtube and a browser. I recently bought myself the Sony Smart Watch, and I was not too impressed with the battery life time, how is this ones?
I also managed to ruin my SmartWatch, but I'm gonna get it refunded from the store :) I'll probably get this from eBay! Is there any bugs/problems I should know about from the Motorola watch?

Not really. Battery life for me is around a week, sometimes more if I turn it off at night. I don't leave bluetooth or wifi on unless I need them though, and keep the brightness around half. I also turned off the shake-to-wake feature, as my watch was turning on when I was just walking around and using up battery life with the screen on lol.

But, for such a tiny battery, a week is pretty good in my opinion. Either way, you can just charge it every night if you're a heavy user. Keep in mind, this isn't like those other "smart watches" that only issue notifications, this is a full blown android device.

I get mine tomorrow, and my only concern/question is how well this handles Bluetooth tethering. I use FoxFi and PDAnet with phone and tablet and i'm hoping I can use the same with the motoactv.

I know Nook Tether works on it for bluetooth tethering (internet pass through) I believe, but I'm not sure about the others. I've heard of PDAnet also, it might have been another that worked. I don't tether mine though, so I'm not sure.

The only thing I want different is the watch strap, and an XDA user is actually working on a better one right now. I can't wait! :)

Last edited:

Jakmalmo

Aug 11, 2012
Not really. Battery life for me is around a week, sometimes more if I turn it off at night. I don't leave bluetooth or wifi on unless I need them though, and keep the brightness around half. I also turned off the shake-to-wake feature, as my watch was turning on when I was just walking around and using up battery life with the screen on lol.

But, for such a tiny battery, a week is pretty good in my opinion. Either way, you can just charge it every night if you're a heavy user. Keep in mind, this isn't like those other "smart watches" that only issue notifications, this is a full blown android device.

I'm leading an auction on eBay at the moment. The "Buy Now" alternatives is too expensive with shipping to Norway :/
A week battery time sounds good to me :) I had to charge my SmartWatch every day, and that wasn't a problem.
How's the Firefox browser and YouTube app working on the watch?

Last edited:

ClearD

Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
I'm leading an auction on eBay at the moment. The "Buy Now" alternatives is too expensive with shipping to Norway :/
A week battery time sounds good to me :) I had to charge my SmartWatch every day, and that wasn't a problem.
How's the Firefox browser and YouTube app working on the watch?

Youtube works great, not sure about Firefox though. I think some people used Boat browser or something and had fine results with it. :)

ClearD

Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
Is there a way to keep the display on to use as a watch, without pushing a button? How much space does the OS use? Is Ebay prefer over Amazon for purchase?

It has shake to wake, where you shake your wrist and the display turns on. The os doesn't use much, maybe 200mb or something. I've got the 8 gig version and have plenty of space, even with roms. However, the space for installing apps is limited for the time being. I'm not sure, but there might be a way to partition the space on the device to get more app space.

ClearD

Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
I was unaware of the shake to awaken. I will go for the 8 Gb unit when I get the funds. More reading needs to be done to see which ROM may be the best for me. How hard is it for someone to generate a customized ROM without extensive training?

The hardest part is the script lol. Making one work is not easy. I've been working on roms for years now and this is the most finicky device I've ever seen.

Reactions: betamaxheadroom

ClearD

Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
It doesn't have a built in speaker. I'm sure you can get the alarm to show on the screen though?

ClearD

Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
I have decided to buy one, preferably at less than ~$250. I would prefer new versus used since they are discontinued and i am uncertain about warrantee. Maybe i can afford to order one next week. No doubt I will have questions, if rooting does not go smoothly.

Just make sure it's charged to 100% before you start, and use the root tool with a windows machine. It should be easy as pie. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    mr0pj.jpg
    I figured since there is finally a place to post this, I will do so here. There is currently ongoing development for the Motorola MotoACTV smart watch. It began simply as a fitness watch, but has evolved with root, recovery, and roms into the best android watch available.

AND IT CAME OUT IN NOVEMBER OF 2011.

Interesting, yes? Let me get you some details from our current wiki (http://motoactv.wikispaces.com/home, started from the members right here on xda):

Code:
    Hardware Specs:

Processor: 600MHz OMAP3 (3630) ARMv7 CPU supporting ARM architecture:
         - thumb, vfp, vfpv3, edsp & neon. (overclockable to 1Ghz currently)
        256MB of RAM and 8GB of NAND Flash Memory (Or 16 GB)
        Wifi 802.11B/G/N
        Bluetooth 4.0 (low-power mode)
        ANT+ for connectivity to fitness sensors (heart rate, etc.)
        FM Tuner (with Radio Data System for station & song identification)
        PowerVR GPU
        1.6" 220x176 capacitive multitouch LCD display
        5 hardware buttons on the side:
         - (Start, Music, Volume +, Volume -, Standby/Power)
        1 additional capacitive button on the front for 'back button'.
        Ambient light sensor
        White charging and notification LEDs
        Accelerometer
        GPS

So now that you're intrigued, let me give you some resources to get you started!

Main XDA Thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1399692

Root Tool and Image Flasher:
    MAKE SURE YOU CHARGE TO 100% BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS!!!
    http://www.cleardroidroms.com/motoactv.php
    I MEAN IT!!! CHARGE TO 100% BEFORE DOING ANY FLASHING!!!

Overclocking:
    Dproldan's Overclock - Easy windows installer in this post

Roms:
    ClearDroid MotoACTV
    DPRom for MotoACTV
    ReACTV Rom
    RunKeeperACTV for MotoACTV
    FreeFly ROM
    CEnnis91's stock roms/AnyRoot

Custom Watch Faces:
    Custom Watch Faces Thread

Bluetooth PAN Tethering Instructions (Internet via Bluetooth from Phone to Watch)
    Saeviomage's Tutorial

MotoACTV TCX Exporter:
    SuperDave's MotoACTV TCX data exporter thread

Known working apps
    Known working apps thread

IF YOU DIDN'T LISTEN AND ARE NOW "LOW BATTERY" AND CANNOT FLASH:
    First thing's first. It will probably still charge on the wall charger or a car charger. Try that first. But, if it won't...
    (or if you're just an avid flasher,) I'd also recommend you get one of these to help you out of jams: Motorola Factory Cable. The one at that link from Team Black Hat is typically out of stock, but a search of the words "Motorola Factory Fastboot Cable" on eBay can get you one for between $5-8. This cable does not charge your unit and does not come with the MotoACTV.

Any questions? Please post below. And GET YOUR ACTV ON! ;)
    Root Tool 2.0.0

Just made a new root tool update; how's this look for root tool 2.0.0?

Edit: Just realized I made a mistake with the flash boot only button. It was giving options that aren't there. But, it's a big upload, so I'm just gonna let version 2.0.0 upload, then upload a fixed 2.0.1 on tuesday when I get back.

In this update:
    -Streamlined rooting (one click root installs boot image, then roots after auto reboot)
    -Added stop adb/start USB button (issues adb shell stop adbd command)
    -Added adb command prompt button
    -Added reboot into recovery button
    -Fixed return to rooted stock (boot image issue)
    -Was going to delete them entirely, but kept the "flash boot image" and "root only" buttons

Update:Download MotoACTV Root Tool Version 2.0.0 Here
    Has anyone managed to turn the charging LED into a flashlight? "Tiny Flashlight + LED" gives a black screen and crashes.

Rootdimmer has a "turn random lights on and off" menu. From memory, the first entry on its menu turns the charge light on and off. The second one rebooted the watch. I didn't muck around with it beyond that.
    Yes please! Does the kernel require your overclocking module, or is it standalone?

This is stand alone. Just changed the first slot to 150 Mhz, from 300 Mhz. I haven't noticed any change in speed, because the moment you touch the screen, it jumps to 600Mhz. May be noticeable for sports people if they keep the display on while running, or if you use it for music.

Here's the image if you want to try. Just issue "fastboot flash boot boot_150Mhz.img"

here's the link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxTLcy78OveNbmxzRTR5cjhtems/edit?usp=sharing

To make this, use the kernel sources from Motorola at opensource.motorola.com

Just needed to change this table in

kernel/omap3/arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-mapphone.c :

static struct omap_opp mapphone_omap3630_mpu_rate_table[] = {
    {0, 0, 0, 0},
    /*Add headroom for CPCAP IR drop*/
    /*OPP1,CPCAP 1.0125v*/
    {S150M, VDD1_OPP1, 0x21, 0x0}, //<-------------------
    /*OPP2,CPCAP 1.2v*/
    {S600M, VDD1_OPP2, 0x30, 0x0},
    /*OPP3,CPCAP 1.325v*/
    {S800M, VDD1_OPP3, 0x3A, 0x0},
    /*OPP4,CPCAP 1.375v*/
    {S1000M, VDD1_OPP4, 0x3E, 0x0},
    /*OPP5,CPCAP 1.375v*/
    {S1200M, VDD1_OPP5, 0x3E, 0x0},
    };

and in kernel/omap3/arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap3-opp.h

static struct omap_opp omap3630_mpu_rate_table[] = {
    {0, 0, 0},
    /*OPP1 (OPP50) - 0.93mV*/
    {S150M, VDD1_OPP1, 0x1b}, //<--------------------
    /*OPP2 (OPP100) - 1.1V*/
    {S600M, VDD1_OPP2, 0x28},
    /*OPP3 (OPP130) - 1.26V*/
    {S800M, VDD1_OPP3, 0x35},
    /*OPP4 (OPP-1G) - 1.35V*/
    {S1000M, VDD1_OPP4, 0x3C},

};

I'll try to make it run a conservative module now. I'll keep you posted.
    Wasn't really sure where to post this but my motoactv fell off my bike yesterday and exploded when it met the pedal of another cyclist. I put the pieces back together but took these pictures before I snapped the screen back on. Fell off the bike going about 20 and got kicked by another cyclist but it still kept working.

Looks like there are only 4 clips holding the Screen in place. I was scared to take anything else apart and was really just relieved that I managed to get everything back together.