Nook simple touch 1.2.1

Search This thread

sameee781

Feb 14, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I've just received Nook simple touch. It was bought from USA and sent to Bangladesh. After unpacking, I powered on the device and followed the steps. At one stage it connects with the wifi network successfully. Then, It shows error message -"Sorry we're having trouble setting up your Nook...."

I communicated with Nook support and share the serial number. Their feedback was "my Nook is disabled, that's why it is not registering..." usually the device is disabled for lost, stolen etc cases. But I told that the device was purchased from bestbuy.com and it reached to me with intact packet. Also I have invoice of it. But they told me to talk to Bestbuy.com.
Later, I called to Nook's hotline asked that where the issue is related to the location from where I'm trying to use it. Feedback was - Nook is useable only from USA and UK having a valid credit card. It cannot be used from Bangladesh.

Now, what should I do to make it workable from Bangladesh?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Maybe this from the Mobileread.com Nook forums:

As long as the epub files you wish to load on the machine are without DRM, like those in Mobileread's own library, the answer is yes. In fact, that is how I've been using the Nook ST for the last week. I'm setting this reader up for my mom who doesn't have wifi or internet access. Since I'm going to sideloading everything anyway, it seemed stupid to bother with registering the nook.

Here's how after you initially charge the nook and activate the unit:

How to Skip OoBE Experience

1. Enter the Factory Screen by holding the TOP RIGHT Button and slide your
finger across the top of the Nook from left to right. A button labeled
"Factory" will appear in the top left of the screen.

2. Once in the Factory screen, hold down the TOP RIGHT Button and tap in the bottom right of the screen.

3. A new button will appear labeled "Skip Oobe". Tap that and you're done!

While you are at it, you might consider installing the latest software update, which you can manually d/l on your computer and install on the nook via USB.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Soft...uch/379003175/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But....be aware that a few subsequent posts in the same thread suggested that battery drain was unusually high when using the Nook unregistered. Maybe there are other solutions out there.But it's a start.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
You can gut all the B&N stuff if you like.
You will not be able to read B&N DRMed purchased content.
You will still be able to use it for Adobe Digital Editions from OverDrive (which have other DRM).
That's how you read library books (at least here).

When unregistered B&N can use a lot of current.

Turning WiFi on but never actually using it since it was started uses a lot of current.
Turning WiFi on, using it for something, leaving it on is not nearly as bad.
Sounds confusing? It is.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I'm intrigued by this problem and have done some reading online about various peoples experiences. Many had the device registered in the US before taking possession in their respective countries. Some use non-US credit cards without any problem. It seems that there are differences which may be related to firmware versions and perhaps even to changing B&N policies (many of the posts I read are 2-4 years old).

There's a lively Russian Nook users group over on the-ebook.org. Reading through a rough Google translation (always fun) it seems that the standard approach there is to select a US time zone (change it after registration) and skip the credit card part. It might be easier to set up a B&N account on the B&N website first (although that does require a credit card--surely they accept valid international CCs?). In any case, there don't seem to be any additional issues mentioned by the Russians with regard to registration. Curious.

The OP does not state if the intent is to purchase ebooks from B&N or just to have a functioning eink reader for side-loaded material. I guess it is possible to root without registering if you never want to interact with the B&N store, then remove the B&N stuff that is causing the battery drain (or however much of the B&N stuff you want to remove).

It would help to have more info about the intended use for the Nook in question. Meanwhile, shame on BestBuy....

[addendum: Aha! Try this thread]

Last edited:

sameee781

Feb 14, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Thanks a lot nmyshkin

Now I able to use Nook by using you bypass method. Also the battery drain seems faster (40% in 3days). :(

Another problem is wifi connectivity. I want to use wifi to browse internet (using the hidden trick). How can I do it?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Now I able to use Nook by using you bypass method. Also the battery drain seems faster (40% in 3days). :(

Yes, as warned. This is the reason to pursue other options because the battery ought to last for a few weeks, not a day or two.

Another problem is wifi connectivity. I want to use wifi to browse internet (using the hidden trick). How can I do it?

Unless you have a very early firmware release (unlikely at this date of purchase), you probably can't use that old trick. It was "fixed" in the second or third firmware update so that the default Android browser became unreachable without rooting.

If you want internet access (and/or email, etc.) your best bet is to root the device. To my mind the easiest way to accomplish this is with NookManager. If you want Google apps (and access to the Play Store for more apps) then you can do that after rooting here, or follow the link to it in the NookManager post.

However, unless you want to selectively delete some B&N stuff after rooting, it would be better if you could get the device registered before you root. Now that you know at least one work-around to get the Nook sort of running, maybe try a factory reset and then approach the registration as the Russians have and see if it works for you.

sameee781

Feb 14, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
However, unless you want to selectively delete some B&N stuff after rooting, it would be better if you could get the device registered before you root. Now that you know at least one work-around to get the Nook sort of running, maybe try a factory reset and then approach the registration as the Russians have and see if it works for you.

Could you please suggest the Russian method by which I'll be able to register?

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
If you have a launcher installed you can simply select "OOBE" (Out Of Box Experience).

If you don't have a launcher installed, ADB:
Code:
adb shell am start -n com.nook.oobe/.o.ORoot
(That's dot, small O, dot, capital O)

If you are not rooted you'll have to follow the other instructions above.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Hi nmyshkin

As mentioned in post#4, I didn't find Nook registration trick in the-ebook.org :(

According to the Ruskies, you should select a US time zone during registration and skip the credit card (I didn't enter a credit card when I did my registration and everything went just fine--it says you can skip). I don't recall the entire registration process any more, but if you need to enter an address, use a fictional US address, something like "125 First Street, Montebello, CA 90640" (the little town where I grew up...). Ditto for a phone number if needed (818-792-6942) For an email address, something without a country identifier would be best, like a Gmail account you can tie to the Nook.

After registration is successful you can change the time zone in the Settings panel.

As an afterthought, a credit card on file is needed if you plan to have any dealing with B&N. For example, I was curious to see if I could get one of the "Friday Free" ebooks from B&N, even with my rooted and much amended Nook. Although the ebook was free I could not access it without a credit card on file. Once I gave them the card info I had no trouble selecting the ebook and it appeared (by magic!) on my rooted Nook within a few minutes. So whatever I've done so far has not broken that process. Now whether I'm going to be interested in reading that book, I have no idea, but I had to try the process :)

Last edited:

sameee781

Feb 14, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
@nmyshkin & Renate

Current status -
I've rooted my nook using NookManager and installed NTGAppsAttack. I've installed Facebook app but cannot use it properly as it shows internet connection issue. But I can bowse internet using operamini. I've tired to use facebook using operamini. But I could not able to write dot in email address field and unable to login. These are the minor problem because my primary objective is to read books.

The main problem is battery drain. So, I want to register the device to solve battery drain issue. If I follow your instruction, will the battery drain issue be resolved? Or I should unroot it and try to register?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
@nmyshkin & Renate

Current status -
I've rooted my nook using NookManager and installed NTGAppsAttack. I've installed Facebook app but cannot use it properly as it shows internet connection issue. But I can bowse internet using operamini. I've tired to use facebook using operamini. But I could not able to write dot in email address field and unable to login. These are the minor problem because my primary objective is to read books.

The main problem is battery drain. So, I want to register the device to solve battery drain issue. If I follow your instruction, will the battery drain issue be resolved? Or I should unroot it and try to register?

I'm not entirely clear on the order of operations with regard to registration vs. rooting. Registration WILL solve the battery drain problem, so however that can be achieved, that's the way to go, I think. If you can, with your rooted Nook, start the registration process, then try that. If there's no way to invoke registration without resetting to factory, then do that and root again after you have registered successfully.

I don't know anything about Facebook but it may be a challenge with an older browser. BTW, there is general agreement that Opera Mobile works better on the Nook than Opera Mini. You can get that from the Amazon App Market or sideload it directly from the Opera archive here. But first, you need to clear the registration/battery drain hurdle.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Registration is not appearing if I restart the device. As I've skipping oobe it is not going to registration page. If I use DeviceRegistator it gives error.

Yes, once when my too-much altered Nook lost its identity I tried to use DeviceRegistrator and it failed for me too.

NookManager is your friend. Put the SD card back in your Nook and boot it up. Choose the "Restore Factory Image" (or whatever its called).
Then try to register as described earlier with your unrooted Nook. If that works, put the SD card back in again and root. Then proceed from there as you like.

sameee781

Feb 14, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Yes, once when my too-much altered Nook lost its identity I tried to use DeviceRegistrator and it failed for me too.

NookManager is your friend. Put the SD card back in your Nook and boot it up. Choose the "Restore Factory Image" (or whatever its called).
Then try to register as described earlier with your unrooted Nook. If that works, put the SD card back in again and root. Then proceed from there as you like.

Should I not face the similar problem like first time? Here is the screenshots taken at the time of getting started with my Nook. The problem was also mentioned in the first post.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Should I not face the similar problem like first time? Here is the screenshots taken at the time of getting started with my Nook. The problem was also mentioned in the first post.

I have no idea, but I would sure get closer to the router/modem on your Wi-Fi network so that you have a better than "fair" connection.

The one thing which has worried me about the registration process as described by the Russians is that surely the B&N server can tell if the registration info is coming from a server outside the US (or UK). Even faking the time zone doesn't seem likely since the information won't match the server clock that is sending it. But that's what they say worked.

Anyway, what do you have to lose? The Nook is fairly useless as a reading device if you have to charge it every day--or more often. You need to try registering it again. If it doesn't work, then you try something else.

sameee781

Feb 14, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Anyway, what do you have to lose? The Nook is fairly useless as a reading device if you have to charge it every day--or more often. You need to try registering it again. If it doesn't work, then you try something else.

Yes, anyhow I've to solve battery drain issue otherwise the device will become useless. That's why I'll also be there in this forum for your help.

-I tired to register near from my wifi router. Also tried by making my phone (Galaxy S4) as portable wifi hotsport. Both are Failed. I'll try again and again....
-In my device there are only few timezone options available, all are US time zone. There should not be issue selecting any one of them.

I'm thinking about their authentication policy. May be their server is checking the originator IP address first which is a non US IP for my case. Hence, it is giving error.

Last edited:

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I'm thinking about their authentication policy. May be their server is checking the originator IP address first which is a non US IP for my case. Hence, it is giving error.

Yes, I thought about that too, although enough people from outside the US claim to have been able to register without any problem (few details, of course....). I suppose you could try a free proxy server (Google), but most of the free ones seem to be transparent enough that they are detected as not being truly from the country of "origin". Still, if all else fails, it's another possibility.