Root and bootloader unlock on stock KK

Search This thread

evanatyourservice

Jul 16, 2014
Thanks

The SD patch is only for those running stock KK. Custom KK ROMs usually have the SD security patch disabled.

Thank you. So I flash 183.46.10 onto my phone using RSD, then follow the original towel/motoapocalypse instructions, and the fact that 183.46.14 has botched things up won't matter because I'm still on 9.30.1?

Evan

iBolski

Thank you. So I flash 183.46.10 onto my phone using RSD, then follow the original towel/motoapocalypse instructions, and the fact that 183.46.14 has botched things up won't matter because I'm still on 9.30.1?

Evan

I'm not sure what you mean 183.46.14 has botched things up? Did you flash the latest soak test before unlocking? If so, you're hosed. You cannot unlock the bootloader as it patched the exploit and there is no way to go back to a previous release of KK.

If you haven't applied the 183.46.14 soak test yet, then going back to 183.46.10 will allow you to root and unlock your bootloader as LONG as you haven't applied the 183.46.14 soak test. If you attempted to apply the soak test but it never took (due to modifications such as rooting, freezing bloat, etc), then you are golden and should be able to unlock as you stated.

But, if the soak test applied the patch to the trusted zones, then you are SOL as far as rooting and unlocking goes.

Reactions: evanatyourservice

evanatyourservice

Jul 16, 2014
Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean 183.46.14 has botched things up? Did you flash the latest soak test before unlocking? If so, you're hosed. You cannot unlock the bootloader as it patched the exploit and there is no way to go back to a previous release of KK.

If you haven't applied the 183.46.14 soak test yet, then going back to 183.46.10 will allow you to root and unlock your bootloader as LONG as you haven't applied the 183.46.14 soak test. If you attempted to apply the soak test but it never took (due to modifications such as rooting, freezing bloat, etc), then you are golden and should be able to unlock as you stated.

But, if the soak test applied the patch to the trusted zones, then you are SOL as far as rooting and unlocking goes.

Thanks, didn't realize it's just a soak still. Making sure I've covered all my bases after seeing some talk of it not working with the most recent update. Here I come, unlocked bootloader!

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
If I have a rooted 9.30.1 Razr HD and would like to install a custom ROM, do I have to go through the patch with the SD card, or can I simply use the Razr HD Utility 1.41?

I don't know if the patch method is for people who already upgraded to KK, or everyone has to do it now.

Evan

if you use the 1.41 utility, you will be where you need to be to root then unlock the bootloader, and install custom recovery and flash roms.

Last edited:
Reactions: evanatyourservice

talkl

Nov 23, 2013
I can almost guarantee you that you froze an app that is needed and that is what is causing your random rebooting. Nothing to be skeptical about because that usually is the issue from what many have seen.

Again, a list of what apps you froze could be helpful too. You definitely have to be careful freezing system apps as many other apps require the services they provide, including other system apps. That could be the issue, depending on what you froze.

Let us know how things turn out and a list of what you froze would help us identify your issue if that indeed is the problem.

If you really must freeze apps, I would suggest you go to this thread -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2756195

People are listing what they've frozen that hasn't caused any issues.

Also, instead of freezing an app, again use the Greenify module. This ensure the apps never comes out of wakelock, but unlike freezing, if you need the app for some reason or another, you can just run it. As long as it's in the foreground running, Greenify leaves it alone. Once it no longer is in focus, Greenify will wait to see if it stays that way for a set period of time and then hibernates it, not allowing it to run again unless it's brought back to the foreground.

Freezing an app makes it unable to execute, which could cause issues if other apps depend on it.

Hi,

The unfreezing didn´t help.
My phone has a strange behavior, it resets on it´s own only when it is not on WIFI.
whenever WIFI is available, the phone does not reset.
when i'm out of the house, it resets every hour or so, and sometimes when it's back up, it does not identify the SIM.

What should i do? should i Reflash?

jlang11

Nov 14, 2010
St. Petersburg, FL
This is what I was told elsewhere, except step 2 did not work out great for me (couldn't SBF) so I decided to flash the whole FXZ, and it worked (in which case you could also skip step 3).

1. Download the official stock firmware for your phone and provider from here http://sbf.droid-developers.org/
2. Extract the zip file to a local directory on your PC, modify the XML file which is included and keep only the 'flash' commands (remove the 'erase' to keep your data).
3. Save the XML after cleaning.
4. Using motorola RSDLite, flash the zip file to your phone (now containing the modified XML).
5. After you're done, flash dhacker's new TWRP 2.7.1.1 for this phone http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2776515 or his new CWM 6.0.4.9 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2747535

Unless you're planning on installing a custom ROM afterwards, I would encourage you to then get busy with SamuriHL's thread here: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/49699-ota-442-1834614/

Oh yeah. Ive already been running custom ROMS, and I know the switch from the 3.0 BL to the 3.4 BL has (some of the) devs starting on the new KK version that can only run on 3.4. Im on SlimKat now and theres 1 more "new" ROM i can run on the 3.0 as theyve switched to building on 3.4.

And definitely a big thanks for the tip on SamuriHL's thread. One they (Slim) get a stable ROM out for 3.4 I will want to upgrade and I like to have all my ducks in a row before I start.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Maybe I should also have added that Ive had my phone for a while (over a year) and have been rooted and unlocked since right after I got the phone. I got it with stock JB 4.1.2, and didnt get any OTA updates. SamuriHL's thread seems to be geared around the newer phones or phones that have been getting OTA and are now on KK via the OTA updates.

Am I incorrect in my assumptions?

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
My thread uses the FXZ so it doesn't care what version you're coming from. It can be flashed onto any version and allows you to keep your data while doing so.

Artnig

Mar 5, 2014
This is what I was told elsewhere, except step 2 did not work out great for me (couldn't SBF) so I decided to flash the whole FXZ, and it worked (in which case you could also skip step 3).

1. Download the official stock firmware for your phone and provider from here http://sbf.droid-developers.org/
2. Extract the zip file to a local directory on your PC, modify the XML file which is included and keep only the 'flash' commands (remove the 'erase' to keep your data).
3. Save the XML after cleaning.
4. Using motorola RSDLite, flash the zip file to your phone (now containing the modified XML).
5. After you're done, flash dhacker's new TWRP 2.7.1.1 for this phone http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2776515 or his new CWM 6.0.4.9 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2747535

Unless you're planning on installing a custom ROM afterwards, I would encourage you to then get busy with SamuriHL's thread here: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/49699-ota-442-1834614/

Thank you much sir, got it working.

HeliNut

Aug 30, 2013
Still Possible?

Just reading the news about a new opportunity to unlock the bl. I missed the boat the first time around. Am I too late?

HeliNut

Aug 30, 2013

Let me clarify. I apologize if I am in the wrong place for this!

I have a completely stock Razr M "non rooted / locked bl", not updated since OTA last year.

System version 98.16.3.XT907
9.8.1Q-78-1
Wed May 29 2013

I had no idea the M was getting KK until a few days ago! I fear that since I have not yet updated to KK that I have missed out again? If I check for updates now, I think I will get the version with the exploit already blocked? Wish I would have found out about this sooner!

P.S. I am however happy that some of you got a second chance and took it, opportunity rarely knocks more than once!

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Let me clarify. I apologize if I am in the wrong place for this!

I have a completely stock Razr M "non rooted / locked bl", not updated since OTA last year.

System version 98.16.3.XT907
9.8.1Q-78-1
Wed May 29 2013

I had no idea the M was getting KK until a few days ago! I fear that since I have not yet updated to KK that I have missed out again? If I check for updates now, I think I will get the version with the exploit already blocked? Wish I would have found out about this sooner!

P.S. I am however happy that some of you got a second chance and took it, opportunity rarely knocks more than once!

ahh, you are indeed in the wrong forum, this is the hd/maxx hd forum.

you can still use all of the guide except the hd specific files. use @SamuriHL's method with your phones current kk build, that way there will be no chance you get the new update by checking on the phone. afterwards, you can proceed to the rooting and unlocking parts. both phones use the same files for that.

***just dont use my Utility or the JB file, they are for the 926 only***

Eeson

Aug 3, 2014
Hillsboro
ive rooted my phone but when i run the motopocalypse it says to allow premissions first and click button again i downloaded SuperSU app and granted premissions and tried again but it says samething what am i dowing wrong

Revan™

Apr 26, 2014
I have a droid running jb 4.1.2 build 9.18.94 rooted but motopocalypse isn't working. What's wrong ?

Sent from my xt926 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts