OmniROM Gerrit Review

Disclaimer

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
 */

Important Information
Root access has not been incorporated into the ROM source yet, so you will need to flash SuperSU in recovery SuperSU

For all you Do-It-Yourself-ers, simply follow this guide to initialize a build environment and get your own builds started - OmniROM - Setting Up A Compile Environment

Got a bug report? Want to request a feature?
jira.omnirom.org

Installation Instructions
FROM ANOTHER ROMS
Factory Reset/Wipe Data
Format System
Format Dalvik Cache
Install ROM
Install Gapps
Reboot
Profit

UPDATE FROM OMNIROM TO NEWER RELEASE
Settings -> System Updates -> Check for update
You will NOT need to wipe anything with the delta updates :good:​

Downloads

Contributors/Credit
  • The OmniROM Team - Great devs that have taught me just about everything I know about this stuff in such a short amount of time
  • CyanogenMod
  • ParanoidAndroid for the GApps package
  • @jumoog for working with me on the jf family of devices (MOAR Galaxay S4's to be supported soon!)
  • @SferaDev for ALL the work on adding Samsung RIL support
  • @CNexus for his awesome boot.img tools and helping me out
  • @Evisceration for his insane kernel pwnage
  • Testers
  • And anyone else I apologize I forgot on this list but thank you

Source
OmniROM Source

XDA:DevDB Information
OmniROM, a ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
jakew02
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: Rooted, Custom Recovery
Based On: AOSP

Version Information
Current Stable Version: -
Current Beta Version: -

Created 2013-12-05
Last Updated 2014-05-02

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-06-07-51-29.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-06-07-51-29.png
    230.1 KB · Views: 5,107
Last edited:

Gandalf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
Q&A

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why don't I have root access after installing OmniROM?
A: OmniROM does not have an official, prebuilt root method yet, so you'll just need to flash SuperSU in recovery and you'll have 100% working root access. SuperSU can be found here: SuperSU

Q: Where is <insert feature here>, like CM/AOKP/PA/etc have??
A: Omni is still very early in development, but moving at an incredibly fast rate. New feature, bug fixes, and device support are added just about daily. Check it out here: OmniROM Gerrit Review for the latest and greatest

Q: How do I start/stop screen recording?
A: Volume UP + Power will start screen recording. Simply drag the notification bar down and click the button to stop.

Q: HALP NFC doesn't work!!
A: We know.

Last edited:

GreatDayChap

May 24, 2013
I've had Omni on my flo for a while now and love it, I got excited when I started seeing jf come up in gerrit and was wondering when this day would come. Thank you for working towards supporting this device!

Reactions: Gandalf

HoosierDaddy2442

Jun 19, 2010
Just did a fresh install of this ROM. Couple issues I've already come across..

My screen after a restart won't go to sleep after the specified time or by pushing the power/sleep button.

Not sure if this is related, but I have enabled active display and got an FC error upon my first notification and had to battery pull.

Update: After turning off Active display I can now put my phone to sleep without issue.

Trygon

Jan 7, 2010
Bremerton
So... I've read the 'this is what custom roms should be' press release three times now, and I still have no idea what differentiates Omni from other ROMs. Is it a custom interpretation of AOSP code, like Cyanogenmod, or features ladled over Cyanogen code, like most other ROMs? Does it offer any of the fiddly knobs of Paranoid Android, or is this going to be a feature-avalance like AOKP or PAC?

I know things are still early days for Omni, but what am I looking forward to when I flash your ROM?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
So... I've read the 'this is what custom roms should be' press release three times now, and I still have no idea what differentiates Omni from other ROMs. Is it a custom interpretation of AOSP code, like Cyanogenmod, or features ladled over Cyanogen code, like most other ROMs? Does it offer any of the fiddly knobs of Paranoid Android, or is this going to be a feature-avalance like AOKP or PAC?

I know things are still early days for Omni, but what am I looking forward to when I flash your ROM?

OmniROM is based on straight AOSP code, if you look in the source on github, you will see that VERY few repositories are actually forked from AOSP at all (put external in the search bar for Omni's public repos). Omni is designed to have many features and options that are all able to be toggled by the user. Omni is about choices, and giving the end-user the choices to make the ROM function the way that THEY want it to. 99% of features added to OmniROM come with a toggle to turn it on or off, hence "choices" :good:

The changelog pretty much gives a breakdown of all the features, because since the first 4.4 build, i did not make any releases until we fixed some major issues. This ROM is just about 100% stable. I say "just about" because if I reported my actual experience, which is literally ZERO issues, on nexus 5 and galaxy s 4, people would hang me and start bombarding me with "well what about this error I have that no one else does".

Best advice, make a backup and flash it. if you don't like it, then just restore your backup. no harm no foul. but i'm willing to bet you stick on this for a bit. There are a ton of features that are unique to OmniROM that other ROMs do NOT have.

also, pretty HUGE status update will be coming tonight (hopefully) as well :rolleyes:;)

Trygon

Jan 7, 2010
Bremerton
Thanks for the reply!

Source code is still gibberish to me, so I really appreciate the communication.

Ironclad Lou

Oct 20, 2011
Portland, ME
I've been hoping that someone would bring this over to us so I could try it out. Been running it most of the day today with almost no issues. Haven't really had a chance to play with it a lot, but so far it's been pretty solid. It did lock up on me once when switching to ART (using the Banks gapps), but after reflashing with PA gapps and sticking with Dalvik I haven't had any issues. Battery life is solid, and having the extra kernel tweaks with the built in kernel is much appreciated. Looking forward to the updates, thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Gandalf

Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
Thanks for the reply!

Will this rely heavily on Xposed for customization, or is there an Aroma style solution in the works?

Source code is still gibberish to me, so I really appreciate the communication.

No, Xposed Frameworks mods will be up to the user to install and implement as they see fit. Generally, I think Omni has a fairly good amount of features already implemented, all with toggles to activate/deactivate, but as always, Xposed will be able to offer a little bit extra of things that we won't support out-of-the-box. I would be wary of using Xposed though, as you will need to ensure that the mods you are installed are updated for 4.4 Aroma will NEVER be implemented into OmniROM source, as it is not 100% stable and is not supported by all devices that Omni supports, and therefore would cause serious, serious issues. I'm sure people will make their own kangs of this eventually and there may be one with Aroma installer, but this will not ever implement that.

Also, some things to look forward to in the near future:
  • Omni File Explorer - OmniROMs native root file manager
  • native root support (you will no longer need to flash SuperSU in recovery)
  • OpenDelta - Omni's OTA Updater
  • NFC fix *properly*
  • Multi-Window
  • a big surprise in the next few hours

I've been hoping that someone would bring this over to us so I could try it out. Been running it most of the day today with almost no issues. Haven't really had a chance to play with it a lot, but so far it's been pretty solid. It did lock up on me once when switching to ART (using the Banks gapps), but after reflashing with PA gapps and sticking with Dalvik I haven't had any issues. Battery life is solid, and having the extra kernel tweaks with the built in kernel is much appreciated. Looking forward to the updates, thanks!

I would be VERY cautious of using ART as of now, it is still highly experimental in AOSP source and google needs to make a lot of improvements before I would use it standard

gleggie

Jan 13, 2013
Thanks for all these update, it is greatly appreciated.. looking forward to the surprise tonight! :D

GreatDayChap

May 24, 2013
Could disabling the 3-dot overflow be possible in a future update since this device has a capacitive menu key?

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Chuckleb0ne

May 7, 2012
Renton, WA
I was just thinking about Omni-ROM and here it is! You sir are awesome. Keep up the good work. I will flash right away once button lights work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Om.jpg

What is OmniROM?

OmniROM Gerrit Review

Disclaimer

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
     */

Important Information
    Root access has not been incorporated into the ROM source yet, so you will need to flash SuperSU in recovery SuperSU

For all you Do-It-Yourself-ers, simply follow this guide to initialize a build environment and get your own builds started - OmniROM - Setting Up A Compile Environment

Got a bug report? Want to request a feature?
    jira.omnirom.org

Installation Instructions
    FROM ANOTHER ROMS
    Factory Reset/Wipe Data
    Format System
    Format Dalvik Cache
    Install ROM
    Install Gapps
    Reboot
    Profit

UPDATE FROM OMNIROM TO NEWER RELEASE
    Settings -> System Updates -> Check for update
    You will NOT need to wipe anything with the delta updates :good:​

Downloads

Contributors/Credit
    • The OmniROM Team - Great devs that have taught me just about everything I know about this stuff in such a short amount of time
    • CyanogenMod
    • ParanoidAndroid for the GApps package
    • @jumoog for working with me on the jf family of devices (MOAR Galaxay S4's to be supported soon!)
    • @SferaDev for ALL the work on adding Samsung RIL support
    • @CNexus for his awesome boot.img tools and helping me out
    • @Evisceration for his insane kernel pwnage
    • Testers
    • And anyone else I apologize I forgot on this list but thank you

Source
    OmniROM Source

XDA:DevDB Information
    OmniROM, a ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
    jakew02
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Rooted, Custom Recovery
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: -
    Current Beta Version: -

Created 2013-12-05
    Last Updated 2014-05-02
    Doesn't mean you shouldn't post about issues. Just don't complain about them :) also... details details details.

YES!! haha

we need logcats or we can't see what's going on behind the scenes

i just merged in a LOT of stuff that i'm going to be testing out over the next few day(s) and if all is well it'll be merged in. basically - good proper sources

oh and custom kernels support and hotword detection should be fixed.

Im making absolutely NO promises on that , because heck, it could blow up in my face. who knows, hahah

boot hangs should be fixed, some camera updates, and wifi drivers are updated in next nightly 12/11
    First official OmniROM nightly. The OP has been updated accordingly

Changelog: https://changelog.omnirom.org

OmniROM is based on straight AOSP code, if you look in the source on github, you will see that VERY few repositories are actually forked from AOSP at all (put external in the search bar for Omni's public repos). Omni is designed to have many features and options that are all able to be toggled by the user. Omni is about choices, and giving the end-user the choices to make the ROM function the way that THEY want it to. 99% of features added to OmniROM come with a toggle to turn it on or off, hence "choices" :good:

The changelog pretty much gives a breakdown of all the features, because since the first 4.4 build, i did not make any releases until we fixed some major issues. This ROM is just about 100% stable. I say "just about" because if I reported my actual experience, which is literally ZERO issues, on nexus 5 and galaxy s 4, people would hang me and start bombarding me with "well what about this error I have that no one else does".

Best advice, make a backup and flash it. if you don't like it, then just restore your backup. no harm no foul. but i'm willing to bet you stick on this for a bit. There are a ton of features that are unique to OmniROM that other ROMs do NOT have.

also, pretty HUGE status update will be coming tonight (hopefully) as well :rolleyes:;)