Experience after using more then a year

Search This thread

NEERO

Apr 21, 2013
I have been using my grand for more then a year now, it is the only cellphone I used during this period or you can say primary phone or daily driver and here is my experience-
(Rooted,Stock Rom 4.2.2)
Hardware side-

The side bezel is still holding that silver coating except from the part where the charging cable is plugged and some places near the back cover.
I would say that it fine.(Have never dropped the phone and hope to keep it that way)

Screen -

The screen is well protected by this scratch less screen guard (using it for more then 4 months) which gives a little sparkling effect which I find little annoying but is ok as I have used my cell without flipcover for like more then 1 month and still scratches can't be seen on the screen (Unless one looks closely for them).

The screen is quite big for my hands and after using this phone I feel that a 4.7 inch would be more suitable to me, also I feel that they have increased the screen size by expanding the breadth more then it should have been which make it a little uncomfortable to hold and gives it a cheap look(just my view).

Sim-

I have had 2 sims on my phone but never really used the second one except for a month or so, in my experience the phone becomes quite laggy when both sims are kept active and more so when you use your second sim for data and first for calls.
Switching between the sims gave lag of like 2 seconds and sometimes even more.

Hang-

When the remaining internal memory gets lower then 1gb the phone becomes real slow and near 700 mb or less left it hangs for like once or twice a day(in which case i had to reboot the phone by long pressing the power button)
I have to delete all useless apps(mostly games) as I do not like link2sd, gives mount script error on reboot and have got my nexus 7 for gaming and stuff and have put all my music(20 gb plus) amd titanium backup on my 64gb external card.

When the free internal memory is like 1.2gb or more the phone works fine.

Battery-

I use Greenify to stop apps that are less important from running in the background and consuming the battery.
I have ran this phone from 100% to 1% for 42 hours during which I made like 30min of phone calls and near to no use of internet(whenever used it was on my wifi) and rest of the time it was idle, the network was WCDMA ONLY on my BSNL sim, that was the highest I analyzed, maybe it can do better but I don't bother putting it to test.

Issues-
(Other then those mentioned above)

When continuously using the Samsung Keyboard for more then 5 minutes I experienced massive delay in keyboard, almost to the extent where I had to exit the app and restart, this was not one time thing as it went on to happen consecutively 3 more times.
(I was using Google Keep)
In also lags a little bit in general usage.

While using any app if I long press the home button most of the time the app I was last using is not present in the recent apps list,this is quite prominent and is noticed on a daily basis.
Now when I go to the home screen then go back to the recent apps the last app is still not in the recent apps section.

Last edited:

jayc137

Sep 5, 2012
Mumbai
4.2.2 update kinda destroyed some stuff which was pretty fine in 4.1.2 like the switching from dual sim thing and also the internal memory bug. I'd recommended switching to one of these KitKat ROMs out there.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

NEERO

Apr 21, 2013
I won't mind switching to a KitKat ROM if they implement dual Sim functionality with considerable perfection, most probably by then I might as well have switched to some other cellphone.
I agree 4.1.2 felt more stable, they also removed the option to share music directly from the default player, I miss that one some times.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

datasai7755

Mar 4, 2014
bhopal
pls tell diffrence between 4.1.2 and 4.2.2
can i revert back from 4.2.2 to 4.1.2 if u say that it was bug free....what all features i would loose....pls tell...my gallery app is very laggy....and everything else ....pls explain.....

skpadhi79

Nov 21, 2013
Bhubaneswar
can i revert back from 4.2.2 to 4.1.2 if u say that it was bug free....what all features i would loose....pls tell...my gallery app is very laggy....and everything else ....pls explain.....

oh yes..u can always revert back to 4.1.2..just download the latest 4.1.2 country specific firmware ( in this case india i guess ) from sammobile and flash via odin....:good::good:

visit here for the details.http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43717119&postcount=2

NEERO

Apr 21, 2013

4.2.2 gave more functionality, like the lock screen widgets on left and app drawer or whatever you say on right, transparent notification bar, stock gallery saw a little change in the interface and many more things, like the light effect to unlock and so on.

Though most usefull one I feel was the vibration effect i.e. the phone vibrates when a call is picked up on the other side, saves a few seconds of distraction or a little less radiation to your head if you want to talk scientifically, earlier I achieved this feature by using an xposed module.

Regarding problems in 4.2.2 I have written all of them in the OP, most noticeable is the recent apps not showing up and that keyboard lag.

If you want to revert back to 4.1.1 then have a look at -
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2364293

Personally I think that if single Sim is not a problem for you then you can try cyanogen mod builds, I haven't tried it myself as I think that it ruins the whole point of having a dual Sim phone but it is definitely smoother and faster then stock.

datasai7755

Mar 4, 2014
bhopal
i dont want to root.....i want to use stock firmware but want to be lag free...
can u suggest me to remove gallery lag....

NEERO

Apr 21, 2013
i dont want to root.....i want to use stock firmware but want to be lag free...
can u suggest me to remove gallery lag....

Just stop using the stock gallery app, I use quick pic, it is fast and perfect, though if you still wanna use the stock gallery then from time to time you have to go to
Application manager - All - Choose Gallery and then choose clear data.
It shows 95gb or more data, known bug.
yzususu3.jpg

Why are you not rooting you cell?

datasai7755

Mar 4, 2014
bhopal
under warranty......i also used quick pic and disabled gallery app....if i snap a pic from camera and click on pic to enlarge from camera app it shows your gallery app is disabled ...cant i choose quick pic as my default image viewer

NEERO

Apr 21, 2013
under warranty......i also used quick pic and disabled gallery app....if i snap a pic from camera and click on pic to enlarge from camera app it shows your gallery app is disabled ...cant i choose quick pic as my default image viewer

That's an inbuilt thing, I don't think you can change that, regarding warranty I don't think anyone uses it, maybe 1 in a thousand have to, you are upgrading firmwares yourself what is the need of warranty.

Only check for a week or so that there is no manufacturing defect and then just root and experience the power of android.

Also you can unroot your cell.