How is your mt3gs holding up?

Search This thread

minameaar

Jan 1, 2011
London
I've had mine 1 year and 3 months now. I love it and it still works great. I flash it every few months or so. Messed up a flash once and couldn't boot into recovery due to broken volume buttton, but ordered a new ribbon from China for about a tenner. I agree with other posters about how new phones seem to be built for people with huge hands. I still prefer the physical keyboard. Wonder if T-mobile will come out with a mytouch 5 slide.

Hitorijanae

Feb 23, 2011
Newark
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
Mine

My mytouch 3g slide has been through the woodwork. It's been roughed up so much, but it truly proved it's durability. Heck, the screen's broken but somehow the touchscreen still works. Perfectly.:p

ninobrown1

Jan 16, 2011
Just paint chipping on the battery cover and the silver part to the camera came off. Everything is working fine though

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA Premium App

kwabinalars

Apr 26, 2011
Anaheim, CA
Almost 2 Years

My wife and I both got one of these back in May 2010. For the most part we've both liked what we have. The wife loves the keyboard.

Space was an issue until I rooted them. Seem fine now.

My only complaint is that some apps run slow. Not loading, but running. Not a huge deal I suppose but it happens often enough that I'm about ready to get a tablet with a huge processor to run those apps.

The wife's phone recently swapped red for blue. Can't figure out exactly why this happened. It was around a month after I installed CM7 on it and I don't exactly think that it's software. If I can fix it I think she would love to just keep it but if I can't may have to get a new phone.

Ziida

Jul 18, 2011
I recently upgraded to the 4G slide, but still miss this phone some times. IMO it feels better in the hand and has a nice clickity clack keyboard. This phone is deceptively powerful, too!

ljjj

Dec 28, 2010
Pomona, CA
My wife and I have had ours for 20 months.

It has survived well, was running CM7 but trying Espresso Sense (SS21)v2 for now. She's itching for a new phone, though.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
It Takes a Lickin' & Keeps on Tickin'!

I have loved my 'Little Engine that Could' since I got it a week or two after its release. I think the thing I am most impressed with is its durability. I have dropped this thing countless times....check SIM, reinsert battery, reattach back plate...good to go! I can't even begin to count the scratches, gashes and chipped paint all over the back and edges. But surprisingly, the touchscreen is as good as day one! Not one scratch or blemish and functions perfectly, and I haven't even had a screen protector on it in quite some time. Most Impressive!
On the down side though, I have been running into a few issues recently. (Yes it may have something to do with my clumsiness with the thing) The drops may finally be taking their toll. Orrrr, it could be something else. The battery is definitely starting to go, gonna re-calibrate it to see if that helps though. The main issues (I suspect) are related to the internal memory beginning to fail. Though in spite of the little hiccups I am experiencing, it still manages to perform everything I ask of it. All in all, for my first Android, I have been quite pleased and would buy it again in a heartbeat!

WhoWhere

Oct 24, 2010
I purchased my slide on release date. Though I wish I had bought the Vibrant it’s been a very sturdy phone. With the development we have on this board it’s kept the phone going and luckily it hasn’t given me any hardware problems what so ever *Knock on wood* other than the issue that some of the first run phones had where the screen was out of place and the light leak.

Last edited:

ovar

May 29, 2009
GR, MI
I just got a Vibrant for my wife and while the thing is super speedy I feel our CM7 is more stable, less buggy. They have some major GPS issues over there as well as some issues with tunnel voice sound during calls.

Very happy with where our device ended up.

kellyann1293

Apr 28, 2012
Chicago 'burbs
Ive had mine since they first came out (2yrs now?) and it still works great. Very durable... it has been dropped countless times on pavement and has only a few faint scratches. Limited app space is my one big annoyance, but it's not so bad that I've taken the time to root or install custom roms, etc.
Been thinking about the new mytouch 4g slide, but honestly the 3g slide is meeting my needs just fine, and I have a new galaxy tab plus that I use for most everything else anyway.
I do wish i could find an extended battery for the slide. If Im going to be out and about for a while I have to take my NewTrent battery pack, since texting, emailing and fb'ing really drain the stock battery fast. I have replaced the stock battery when the old one started to die, but I cant get more than a few hours of heavy data usage before I need a recharge.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda premium

Nightwolf117

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane, Queensland
Ive had mine since they first came out (2yrs now?) and it still works great. Very durable... it has been dropped countless times on pavement and has only a few faint scratches. Limited app space is my one big annoyance, but it's not so bad that I've taken the time to root or install custom roms, etc.
Been thinking about the new mytouch 4g slide, but honestly the 3g slide is meeting my needs just fine, and I have a new galaxy tab plus that I use for most everything else anyway.
I do wish i could find an extended battery for the slide. If Im going to be out and about for a while I have to take my NewTrent battery pack, since texting, emailing and fb'ing really drain the stock battery fast. I have replaced the stock battery when the old one started to die, but I cant get more than a few hours of heavy data usage before I need a recharge.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda premium

I've had mine for about two months now, and I loved (hint the "ed") becuase it is an amazing phone, but the camera flash stopped working and now I'm sad :(

kellyann1293

Apr 28, 2012
Chicago 'burbs
So not cool... I drowned my MT3G slide today! :mad: Fell right in the sink. Got a MyTouch 4G Slide to replace it, which seems like a pretty sweet device so far. Just need to keep it out of the sink!

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
So not cool... I drowned my MT3G slide today! :mad: Fell right in the sink. Got a MyTouch 4G Slide to replace it, which seems like a pretty sweet device so far. Just need to keep it out of the sink!

It's probably too late to try now, but you never know and for future reference, I thought I'd share this for those that do not already know....

The sooner you do this, the better your chances for saving your phone!

If your phone gets wet:
PULL THE BATTERY! As quickly as possible!
Dry phone as best you can, without shaking, turning over too much.
Remove SIM and SD Card. (Pat then air dry)
Use a vacuum cleaner and set up everything where it can pull air through the phone, preferably where the water entered. (It could take a while, but at least 20-30 min on each section of the phone where water could have entered)
Never use a hair dryer due to moisture + heat can damage components and compromise adhesives. Also, I have heard that it is best to use a vacuum to suck air through, rather than something to blow air in so you do not push moisture deeper into the phone.
Bury your phone in a bowl of dry rice overnight. (Silica packets that come packaged with electronics and other products can work even better than rice, but only if they have not already absorbed their max amount of moisture, which I have read that many have.)
Carefully inspect phone for any leftover moisture. It may help to use vacuum again both for moisture and any rice dust.
When trying to power on phone for first time, leave SIM and SD card out. If phone does not power on, try removing battery and plug into charger. If it comes on plugged in with no battery, the battery is likely bad.

I have also heard of people flushing their phone with cleaning alcohol to displace the water and let the alcohol evaporate, but I have also heard that this is a bad idea. So I would play it safe and NOT try this method.
Another tip, and a somewhat surprising one: If your phone gets SALT water inside, after removing the battery, SIM and SD card, flush the phone with FRESH water! This sounds like it would be a very bad idea, however, when salt water evaporates, it leaves corrosive crystals behind which can cause even more damage to the internal components. Flushing it with fresh clean water may reduce the chances of this happening.

There is NO GUARANTEE that any of this will work for your drowned phone, but then, if it comes to this, what do you have left to lose? I have been fortunate enough to not have had to use any of these tips, so I cannot speak from personal experience that any of them will work any better than just letting it air dry for a couple of days. Some methods are also risky and could potentially do more harm than good, so it is entirely up to you if you even want to try them.

I just think it is better to try something than nothing, and hopefully this will save someone the trouble and cost of being forced to buy a new phone.

Reactions: bearcat668

kellyann1293

Apr 28, 2012
Chicago 'burbs
It's been in the rice/rock salt container since yesterday. Hopefully it will work again once it's dried out, so we can have a decent spare phone. We can't seem to keep our gizmos out of the drink, so I actually have a dedicated dessicator container for such emergencies. Just an old Pyrex baking dish with airtight plastic lid... I 'dry out' the rice/salt periodically by placing the open container in a 200F oven for a couple of hours. I have about a 75% success rate with phone revival:D

bearcat668

Jul 12, 2010
Holding up great

Got mine soon after it was released and it's still in pristine shape. Which is kinda too bad, since I have gadget lust for some of the new toys coming out. But, I really do like the keyboard..... I just hope T-Mobile keeps some keyboard models.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The shifting up of your screen is the beginning of your ribbon cable starting to fail. This happened to my MT3GS as well. Eventually you will have to stop using your physical keyboard of replace the ribbon cable.

I replaced my ribbon cable for $15 with a new one off EBAY. Wasn't too hard to do.
    It's been exactly 1 year and 2 months now, and i just can't find a better alternative! :cool:
    Seems like all new phones are meant for people with Giant Hands and Pockets! :p

Mine holds up for between 1 day and 2 days whole (sometimes even with WiFi on!) but depending on actual usage.
    It fell of my hands to asphalt, but except a minor dent on the plastic back, left no scratches! i was amazed!
    oh and my camera back thing fell, but i found it, and i'm using scotch tape to stick it in place :-D
    It's been exactly 1 year and 2 months now, and i just can't find a better alternative! :cool:
    Seems like all new phones are meant for people with Giant Hands and Pockets! :p

Mine holds up for between 1 day and 2 days whole (sometimes even with WiFi on!) but depending on actual usage.
    It fell of my hands to asphalt, but except a minor dent on the plastic back, left no scratches! i was amazed!
    oh and my camera back thing fell, but i found it, and i'm using scotch tape to stick it in place :-D

Yeah I went like a year without dropping mine and then suddenly this one month I was just like on crack or something and I dropped it like 6 times! On asphalt/concrete! Believe it or not my screen didn't break and it barely has any scratches :) Lmao about the scotch tape! Doesn't it look bad? Haha

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
    I've had my MT3GS since the beginning of August 2010 and it's one of the best phones I've ever seen ( and I've seen a lot lol) Haven't had any hardware issues with it, dropped several times on concrete/asphalt and the screen didn't crack but I broke 4 hard cases because of that ;) , just some dent on the side and that's it. Modern phones like Sensation and Galaxy S2 are powerful but huge and I like the size of my phone. I'm still going to use it, the only phone that might be better for me is probably MT4GS lol.
    Another thing that I like about MT3GS/4GS is that the phones aren't very popular and that makes them unique. And over here in Europe it's very very unique. Iphone users are so jealous, especially when I slide out the keyboard lol))

It's probably too late to try now, but you never know and for future reference, I thought I'd share this for those that do not already know....

The sooner you do this, the better your chances for saving your phone!

If your phone gets wet:
    PULL THE BATTERY! As quickly as possible!
    Dry phone as best you can, without shaking, turning over too much.
    Remove SIM and SD Card. (Pat then air dry)
    Use a vacuum cleaner and set up everything where it can pull air through the phone, preferably where the water entered. (It could take a while, but at least 20-30 min on each section of the phone where water could have entered)
    Never use a hair dryer due to moisture + heat can damage components and compromise adhesives. Also, I have heard that it is best to use a vacuum to suck air through, rather than something to blow air in so you do not push moisture deeper into the phone.
    Bury your phone in a bowl of dry rice overnight. (Silica packets that come packaged with electronics and other products can work even better than rice, but only if they have not already absorbed their max amount of moisture, which I have read that many have.)
    Carefully inspect phone for any leftover moisture. It may help to use vacuum again both for moisture and any rice dust.
    When trying to power on phone for first time, leave SIM and SD card out. If phone does not power on, try removing battery and plug into charger. If it comes on plugged in with no battery, the battery is likely bad.

I have also heard of people flushing their phone with cleaning alcohol to displace the water and let the alcohol evaporate, but I have also heard that this is a bad idea. So I would play it safe and NOT try this method.
    Another tip, and a somewhat surprising one: If your phone gets SALT water inside, after removing the battery, SIM and SD card, flush the phone with FRESH water! This sounds like it would be a very bad idea, however, when salt water evaporates, it leaves corrosive crystals behind which can cause even more damage to the internal components. Flushing it with fresh clean water may reduce the chances of this happening.

There is NO GUARANTEE that any of this will work for your drowned phone, but then, if it comes to this, what do you have left to lose? I have been fortunate enough to not have had to use any of these tips, so I cannot speak from personal experience that any of them will work any better than just letting it air dry for a couple of days. Some methods are also risky and could potentially do more harm than good, so it is entirely up to you if you even want to try them.

I just think it is better to try something than nothing, and hopefully this will save someone the trouble and cost of being forced to buy a new phone.