[Tutorial] Xperia Z & ZL Bootloader Unlocking/Relocking

Search This thread

alabrand

Dec 22, 2012
From what I remember reading, Bravia Engine on the Xperia Z doesn't actually kick in until you view photos in the gallery / view videos on the player. I may be wrong but this is what I believe until somebody else with 100% proof tells me wrong.

Tischbein

Sep 7, 2007
So what is the downside of losing BE exactly? The pictures/videos don't look as nice as before?

maddoguk

Sep 17, 2009
Trowbridge
Re: [Tutorial] Xperia Z & ZL Bootloader Unlocking

Would still be better than most phones so would rather have root.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Fokezy

Jul 18, 2011
This is great,I mean the phone isn't even out in 95% of the world and we already have root,unlocked bootloaders,kernel sources and System dumps. Doom,its really good to have you supporting Xperia Z,I love what you did for my Xperia Play when the development thread was totally dead.
On that note,didn't you port the Bravia Engine from the arc to other phones and it was piss easy to install on any stock based rom? I mean,when the phone launches we are gonna have top developers coming in(even from other OEMs),finding exploits,porting stuff,new roms every day :laugh: .
So the future for this phone looks very bright when we put XDA and Sony together. Only thing I don't like is all these trolls,might post something about them...

Reactions: DooMLoRD

E43JAP

Mar 1, 2011
Tokyoto

Japanese Experia Z bootloader is LOCKED DOWN! :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
6etapuqu.jpg

NTT DoCoMo SC-02C {i9100}/
P.A.C. ROM v19.9.1 {2/14}/
[MCM] Siyah v5 vsync sysfs+{2/18}/
Simmo A.R.P. {2/04}

E43JAP

Mar 1, 2011
Tokyoto

I'm not sure if you want to post your imei this open on the internet.

Thanks for the advice, but it's just the in-store demo unit at a local cell shop. No prob. :thumbup:

NTT DoCoMo SC-02C {i9100} Lot 2/
[MCM] Siyah v5 vsync sysfs+ {2/18}/
SimmoF A.R.P. Tweaker {2/04}

stryker.jp

Aug 16, 2011
Kanto
i was told you can pay a fee of about 3000yen to get the phone unlocked so you can use with other carrier.
or was it just to unlock something else?

E43JAP

Mar 1, 2011
Tokyoto

i was told you can pay a fee of about 3000yen to get the phone unlocked so you can use with other carrier.
or was it just to unlock something else?

If you are in Japan, the only other carrier you can use is Softbank, So, unless you are going to pay for cancellation + full price for the phone, why waste 3,150 yen.

Unless you plan to use it in another country.....

DoCoMo SC-02C {i9100} Lot 2/
Siyah s2 v6.0b5+ {2/19}/
SimmoF A.R.P. Tweaker {2/04}

stryker.jp

Aug 16, 2011
Kanto
i am currently on softbank, but i'm thinking of going over to docomo for xperia z.
but now it seems it cannot be rooted!!

E43JAP

Mar 1, 2011
Tokyoto

i am currently on softbank, but i'm thinking of going over to docomo for xperia z.

You might be able to 'root', but I can't say anything about flashing ROMs.
That's why I stick with Samsung while I am in Japan.
Or maybe even LG.
I have heard negative feedback about the PRADA phone, but when I was trying it out, seemed like a good phone to me. Fast, responsive and not really any lagginess. Was actually kind of impressed.

Being a DoCoMo user for about 18 years or so, foreign cell phone makers are the best you can buy.
Considering rooting capability and flashability. (Customization)
Was hoping for good news from the Sony lineup, but loenbehold, everything is locked down tighter than Alcatraz.
Let me stop here or I will be going on for about 130 pages or so. LOL:p

Siyah v6.0b5+ {2/18}/
SimmoF A.R.P.. {2/04}

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

If you pay your cancellation fee and whatnot, and you MNP to DoCoMo during one of the 'campaigns' you can get the ExperiaZ for FREE. And maybe even with a discount from the monthly fee, pending upon what plan you sign up with.

If you are in the Tokyo area, I DO have a connection you can go through that won't charge you extra for the store plans that DoCoMo will make you sign up for when you buy a phone from them.

Anyone interested, just PM me.

Siyah v6.0b5+ {2/18}/
SimmoF A.R.P.. {2/04}

Last edited:

Flashben

Oct 12, 2010

If I just want to gain root access to be able to use some app that requires root and won't change Roms, will I lost the basic apps function or BE?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
Get a Samsung for free on contract and sell if afterwards on the internet or so. With the money get yourself a "free" Xperia Z. Easy.
PS: Your signature is annoying as it's not part of the "signature". Get's included in every quote. I suggest you put that information in your actual signature, that way it stays up to date as well.

If I just want to gain root access to be able to use some app that requires root and won't change Roms, will I lost the basic apps function or BE?
No, only unlocking the bootloader will erase/disable certain things (to an unknown/unconfirmed extent), rooting does not. Root is AFAIK not possible yet without unlocking though. You'll have to wait for that to be achieved.

stryker.jp

Aug 16, 2011
Kanto
You might be able to 'root', but I can't say anything about flashing ROMs.
Or maybe even LG.
I have heard negative feedback about the PRADA phone, but when I was trying it out, seemed like a good phone to me. Fast, responsive and not really any lagginess. Was actually kind of impressed.

Being a DoCoMo user for about 18 years or so, foreign cell phone makers are the best you can buy.
Considering rooting capability and flashability. (Customization)
Was hoping for good news from the Sony lineup, but loenbehold, everything is locked down tighter than Alcatraz.
Let me stop here or I will be going on for about 130 pages or so. LOL:p

Siyah v6.0b5+ {2/18}/
SimmoF A.R.P.. {2/04}

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

If you pay your cancellation fee and whatnot, and you MNP to DoCoMo during one of the 'campaigns' you can get the ExperiaZ for FREE. And maybe even with a discount from the monthly fee, pending upon what plan you sign up with.

If you are in the Tokyo area, I DO have a connection you can go through that won't charge you extra for the store plans that DoCoMo will make you sign up for when you buy a phone from them.

Anyone interested, just PM me.

Siyah v6.0b5+ {2/18}/
SimmoF A.R.P.. {2/04}

thank you for your detailed explaination.
now i'm not so keen to buy the XZ, since it will never be unlocked...
what should i do...:confused:

E43JAP

Mar 1, 2011
Tokyoto

thank you for your detailed explaination.
now i'm not so keen to buy the XZ, since it will never be unlocked...
what should i do...:confused:

Don't get me wrong, the device itself is a good machine. If you get a chance, go to a DoCoMo shop near you, they should have a demo model you can mess around with, well at least most of them do anyway. Feels good in hand, sturdy, doesn't feel 'cheap', great display, but I don't know of you will be able to get a custom rom on it any time soon, if that is what you are looking to do eventually. I'm sure someone here on xda will be able to 'hack' it fairly soon, lot of great people here in this community. Never give up hope. Hehe. :thumbup:

Siyah v6.0b5+ {2/18}/
SimmoF A.R.P.. {2/04}

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quick tutorial for unlocking & relocking the bootloader of the Xperia Z & ZL.

this is the official way to unlock bootloader

if you want to keep ur DRM keys, first root device and then check this out

Warning!

This procedure will wipe the /data partition of your phone, so you will loose all ur stored data, settings. SDCARD will BE WIPED!!!

For Xperia™ devices released 2013 or later (for example Xperia™ Z and Xperia™ ZL), the SD card of your device will be formatted and you will lose all content (for example photos, music, videos) when you unlock the boot loader.

DRM keys WILL be lost forever

I'd add what losing DRM keys means, e.g. no more Music ID/Gracenote within the Walkman app plus probably most importantly, as asked all the time and all over the place in the T/mint forums: loss of Bravia Engine.

older Xperia devices sometimes got issues after unlock of bootloader (BRICK after FOTA update) - you have been warned

why to unlock bootloader?

1. u can flash custom ROMs/Kernels
    2. u dont need to worry if the new firmware can be rooted or not as with unlocked bootloader u can always ROOT ur device
    3. Sony gives sneak-peaks/preview builds of latest OS which requires unlocked bootloaders, as they did with Xperia 2011/2012 line, so who knows may be Sony may give early builds of next android OS ;)

Most of this is taken from lollylost100's his tutorial from ARC thread (all credits for that concise tutorial go to him, i have elaborated on a few things and added device specific changes)

btw i dont have this device, most of this testing was done remotely on a users phone... so thanks a lot to him for helping out!!!

[ before we begin unlocking bootloader ]

• get the IMEI code for ur device: type *#06# in phone dialer to find it out, note only the digits (no dashes)
    • download the fastboot package
    • IMPORTANT: if you are using Windows 8 you will need to enable few things to allow driver installation
    • download the latest FlashTool Xperia Driver Pack and install fastboot drivers (common) & adb drivers for this device from the list!
    • make sure u have a windows PC with USB cable to connect the phone
    • power down ur phone and keeping the Volume Up button pressed connect the USB cable to PC this will trigger FASTBOOT mode and windows will start driver installation, which should be automatically done
    • once drivers are installed just disconnect cable and power on device

[ how to unlock ] (official way)

1. Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/ and read everything!
    2. At the bottom click 'Start Unlocking the Bootloader'
      First, you should confirm that it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your phone by checking the service menu. In your phone, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.

In your phone, tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.
    3. after u have verified that u can unlock bootloader, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Continue"
    4. you will get numerous prompts, read all info and if u agree click on "Accept"/"OK"/"Proceed"
    5. finally u will get a "Create Unlock request" page, enter your IMEI (sometimes the last digit needs to be removed for this to work), name and email address
    6. You should now receive your unique unlock key via EMAIL, SAVE THIS KEY SAFELY
    7. Extract fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar and open fastboot folder
    8. Hold SHIFT and right click on the background of the folder
    9. Select 'Open command window here'
    10. Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn phone off, hold Volume UP button and plug in USB Cable) [make sure drivers are installed as explained above)
    11. In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
    12. If a value is returned (it will return 0.5), it means the phone is correctly connected
    13. Type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key which u received earlier.
    14. You're device should now be bootloader unlocked

If this tutorial is too much for you then itskapil wrote a step-by-step guide (and recorded a video also):
    -Instructions: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-unlock-bootloader-xperia-arc-play-neo-pro/
    -Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRH3pC7MhEA
    (the above videos and some steps are for Xperia 2011 devices, but most the steps are same for Xperia Z)

Relock procedure is posted here
    Maybe i've some other drivers installed... but when i boot my XZ in fastboot (holding vol+ and plugging usb) nothing happens (i only hear windows sound of some peripherial attached).
    So probably i didn't installed the right drivers.
    Is there any way to move from where I'm stucked?
    Thanks for helping.

EDIT

I can see the S1Boot Fastboot driver (whit the yellow tringle) in Resources Manager but cannot update the driver even pointing to the USB_DRIVERS folder.
    Any suggestion? (I'm running WIN8 64bit)

You may need to set the drivers up using testmode in win8 x64 I have them working on mine fine

Press windowsKey + R
    type/paste
    Code:
    shutdown -o -r -t 0
    into the box, this will restart your machine in the advanced startup menu.

when it restarts choose "disable driver signing" Then install the driver manually using the "have disk" option. when you reboot again the driver should be working.

you can also permanently turn off driver signing if you want and run in test mode with the following

Code:
    bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

to disable all that you set the ENABLE and OFF

Code:
    bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF
    Relocking bootloader

With the latest release of Flashtool it is now possible to relock bootloader.

Download the latest flashtool from:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2162907

Important

DO NOT USE ANY FTF TO RELOCK BOOTLOADER! THOSE OLD FTFs DO NOT WORK FOR THE 2013 DEVICES!!!

before u relock bootloader u have to be on pure stock kernel (flash only the kernel.sin using flashtool), else the device WILL NOT BOOT after relock

Steps:

1. now start Flashtool and click on BLU button
    2. u will be asked to connect device in flashmode
    3. once u connect the device u will get a prompt to "Relock"
    4. click on it and when prompted disconnect the device
    Re: [Tutorial] Xperia Z Bootloader Unlocking

@DooMLoRD

Now Xperia Z cannot ROOT, very afflictive!:(

I did not follow what you mean...

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app
    I really suggest to author of this topic to ADD INFO ON HOW TO BACKUP TA if you ever want to go back to LOCKED BOOTLOADER.

Not, like me, having read this topic, I just unlocked everything without backing up DRM keys and what not. So, thanks f****g alot ^^

The reason why that info is not included is that it's still experimental... And playing with the phones TA area is VERY RISKY... The device can be hard bricked... What would u prefer? A bricked device or lost DRM?

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app