Will you be upgrading from the HTC One M7?

Search This thread

mwatson

Oct 16, 2007
Basingstoke
Will you/did you upgrade from the M7 to the M8? If you're sticking with the M7 why?

I'm not sure? I'm interested to hear other's opinions.

theguitarman94

Aug 31, 2011
Will you/did you upgrade from the M7 to the M8? If you're sticking with the M7 why?

I upgraded from the M7, you can't go wrong either way. The M7 was the best smart phone I've ever had but I like to have the latest things so I took the plunge for the M8. The two very small gripes with my M7 were the purple tint issue and the battery life. After 8+ months of ownership I was only just getting a day on battery if that on light/moderate usage. The M8s battery life is 40% better than the M7 so that is a huge increase. The purple tint issue has also been fixed. It's not a huge upgrade and if I were tight on money I could EASILY of kept the M7 till 2015. Your choice. This might get locked as it's a phone comparison thread but hey ho.

Reactions: mwatson

mwatson

Oct 16, 2007
Basingstoke
Thanks for your thoughts.. I agree about the battery. 12 months on I can certainly see the decay.

I hope this doesn't get locked as it is useful to those like me who have the previous model and are debating to upgrading to the next generation.

I understand comparison threads being closed, but this is discussing the same manufacturer and practically the same model, just the upgraded version. Normally flame wars happen between other OEMs like Samsung and HTC.

I imagine this thread would be useful to others who are undecided on wether to splash out of commit for another 2 years on a device that may in the real world seem just the same as the M7

Hope we can keep this discussion going!:fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

arses

Mar 24, 2010
Mee too. I cant ignore design and quality.

Sent by myself, without help :))

mwatson

Oct 16, 2007
Basingstoke
Hmmm...shall I... shant I...

Been sat on the checkout screen since yesterday...

My m7..there's nowt wrong with it.... But I like to have the latest HTC..decisions!

Same as me. I had a play with one at the O2 store today. Gotta say... its the finest looking mobile phone I've ever seen. Gun metal grey is defo the best. I'm thinking of getting one from Three tomorrow on PAYG. £459!

but I have an M7 and its in perfect condition and will have Sense 6 soon making almost the same as the M8. Is it really worth spending the money??? :rolleyes:

Reactions: backfromthestorm

topsales

Dec 7, 2010
Have a DE on order. Loved the M7. Best phone I have ever had. Can't wait for the phone to arrive.

backfromthestorm

Jul 2, 2011
47000 places at once.
Yes that's exactly my predicament.. £470 for.... Looks.. which you can't see when your holding it.. a depth sensor.. and that's it really... Isn't it?
And Sense 6 coming soon.. well already here really, had it on yesterday for a while, but not officially out yet.

But.. I do want one. That's a lot of nice things I could get for my motorbike though lol.

Nippero

Oct 13, 2008
New York, NY
I have T-Mobile JUMP, so I'll be trading in my M7 for the M8.

As of right now, I have another $300 to go before my M7 is paid off. On ebay, a used M7 goes for around $250.. and then you minus some shipping and ebay fees.
Definitely not worth it for me to just stick with the M7.

jaggrey

Jun 6, 2008
I have T-Mobile JUMP, so I'll be trading in my M7 for the M8.

As of right now, I have another $300 to go before my M7 is paid off. On ebay, a used M7 goes for around $250.. and then you minus some shipping and ebay fees.
Definitely not worth it for me to just stick with the M7.
How exactly does JUMP work? I'm eligible for it now as well but obviously haven't used it before. Do you ever get to have both phones at the same time so you can transfer information, or do you literally go in the store with one phone and come out with the other?

Nippero

Oct 13, 2008
New York, NY
How exactly does JUMP work? I'm eligible for it now as well but obviously haven't used it before. Do you ever get to have both phones at the same time so you can transfer information, or do you literally go in the store with one phone and come out with the other?

That I'm actually not sure about. I was planning to back up all my stuff to my computer myself.

EtherealRemnant

That I'm actually not sure about. I was planning to back up all my stuff to my computer myself.

You have to backup everything because you will never have both phones at the same time. You literally bring the old phone to the store, they inspect it for screen and water damage, they set up the new phone for you (they'll set up your GMail and sync the two for you) and then you walk out.

And yes, as soon as T-Mobile gets it in store, I'm using my JUMP for it. There's no reason not to since if I don't like it I can just use my second JUMP credit to trade it for something else (which I will consider doing when the 805 devices roll out).

jaggrey

Jun 6, 2008
You have to backup everything because you will never have both phones at the same time. You literally bring the old phone to the store, they inspect it for screen and water damage, they set up the new phone for you (they'll set up your GMail and sync the two for you) and then you walk out.

And yes, as soon as T-Mobile gets it in store, I'm using my JUMP for it. There's no reason not to since if I don't like it I can just use my second JUMP credit to trade it for something else (which I will consider doing when the 805 devices roll out).
That makes sense. What if you do the process online? I'm wondering if they would send you the device then you could take your current device to the store to trade it in.

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
I upgraded from the M7, you can't go wrong either way. The M7 was the best smart phone I've ever had but I like to have the latest things so I took the plunge for the M8. The two very small gripes with my M7 were the purple tint issue and the battery life. After 8+ months of ownership I was only just getting a day on battery if that on light/moderate usage. The M8s battery life is 40% better than the M7 so that is a huge increase. The purple tint issue has also been fixed. It's not a huge upgrade and if I were tight on money I could EASILY of kept the M7 till 2015. Your choice. This might get locked as it's a phone comparison thread but hey ho.

How is going from 2300 to just 2600 (300 increase) a 40% better?

Nippero

Oct 13, 2008
New York, NY
Not sure if its actually 40% (could you link to source?) but I've definitely read that the M8 gets better battery life than the M7 from several reviews.

dragonesdenano

Jan 25, 2011
Lanus, Buenos Aires
Well, i will get mine soon. Thanks to all SkyDragon user via donation! Max, butterfly, hox and m7 users.
I couldn't keep my hox, should sell it to get m7... But this time its different, i keep m7 and will get m8.
Why? Mostly for cooking reasons. All my team has m7 and today 6 of them has also m8.
The rest will jump soon too, we are like 40 hahaha.
I love design, sense 6, well.. All.
Doesn't mean m7 is old, i still very happy with it. But also want to taste new m8. Im curious about dot case and sense 6.
About battery, m7 got good battery, screen, best devs and roms. And soon m8.
Btw,i will release our first SkyDragon rom soon, if someone wants to join my team to be tester, or has code skilz or theming skilz, just pm.
Well done HTC, again best phone of the year! No doubt.
Have to state that. If i should keep my m7 only, im Happy too as we are getting Sense 6 soon, also dot cover

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ayo234

Nov 21, 2012
Literally just upgraded from the M7 two hours ago. Wow. Seriously just wow. I just tried out the camera, the effects are really cool. It is super mega smooth. The new SoC is very power efficient and fast. Definitely feels better too. Also glad to be rid of the purple camera tint.

Reactions: dragonesdenano

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The gunmetal is STUNNING in person. I definitely think the silver m7 looks MUCH better than the silver M8. Something about the color seems off on the M8. The gunmetal makes the m8 downright gorgeous though. Enjoy your phone! I'm loving the upgrade!

Yeah I'm pretty stoked about it. My M8 should be here very soon as it is out for delivery as we speak. Winning! :highfive:
    From the moment specs were announced, I knew that I wouldn't be "upgrading".

As is probably obvious from the quotation marks around the word upgrading, I really don't class it as an upgrade.
    It has a bit of a better battery but I have great battery life which got even better with the 4.4.2 update. I've not had the purple tint issue on my m7 so that's not a reason for me to change device. I'd have no use for the extra camera as I barely take photos as is but even when I do, it's a quick snap and that's more than good enough for me. The updated processor is probably the best upgrade but the m7's processor has been doing wonders and is nowhere near rubbish or outdated. As I also said in another thread, I also think the m7 has a much more professional design which makes it look much better.

As should be more than clear judging by the above, I'm in no hurry to change phone as the One has been getting progressively better throughout the year I've had it.
    I completely agree with what I've seen quite a few people say though - if they didn't have the m7 they'd probably get the m8. Coming from another device makes the thought of the m8 much more worthy of their time and investment.

I haven't actually used a m8 yet so my opinions on general quality could be way off base but I should be free on Monday to have a play with one for a while and see what I think of it.
    I'll be truly surprised if it manages to change my mind on all of the above though.

Sent from my HTC One or Note 3 via XDA Premium 4

Hmmm...shall I... shant I...

Been sat on the checkout screen since yesterday...

My m7..there's nowt wrong with it.... But I like to have the latest HTC..decisions!

Same as me. I had a play with one at the O2 store today. Gotta say... its the finest looking mobile phone I've ever seen. Gun metal grey is defo the best. I'm thinking of getting one from Three tomorrow on PAYG. £459!

but I have an M7 and its in perfect condition and will have Sense 6 soon making almost the same as the M8. Is it really worth spending the money??? :rolleyes:
    Well, i will get mine soon. Thanks to all SkyDragon user via donation! Max, butterfly, hox and m7 users.
    I couldn't keep my hox, should sell it to get m7... But this time its different, i keep m7 and will get m8.
    Why? Mostly for cooking reasons. All my team has m7 and today 6 of them has also m8.
    The rest will jump soon too, we are like 40 hahaha.
    I love design, sense 6, well.. All.
    Doesn't mean m7 is old, i still very happy with it. But also want to taste new m8. Im curious about dot case and sense 6.
    About battery, m7 got good battery, screen, best devs and roms. And soon m8.
    Btw,i will release our first SkyDragon rom soon, if someone wants to join my team to be tester, or has code skilz or theming skilz, just pm.
    Well done HTC, again best phone of the year! No doubt.
    Have to state that. If i should keep my m7 only, im Happy too as we are getting Sense 6 soon, also dot cover