A bricked Z1 with an unlocked bootloader

Search This thread

Abu-7abash

Feb 21, 2011
Amman
So I got my Z1 yesterday, was on 4.4.2 stock unrooted. I unlocked the bootloader using Sony's official website and fastboot, then I went on destroying the phone by flashing Philz touch recovery.img through fastboot.

And since then the phone has been bricked, I can only enter Fastboot through the blue led, while Flash mode doesn't show up any LED light and my PC sees the phone when on flashmode as n "S1 device with a parameter error".

I've tried all drivers, none worked, and the flashtool keeps suggesting I should update my drivers when connecting the phone on flash mode:

02/042/2014 22:42:11 - INFO - Device connected in flash mode
02/042/2014 22:42:30 - ERROR - Drivers need to be installed for connected device.
02/042/2014 22:42:30 - ERROR - You can find them in the drivers folder of Flashtool.

Is there any way I can recover from this through fastboot instead of the flashtool? I can still flash system.img and recovery.img through fastboot. I'd really appreciate any help right now.

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
So I got my Z1 yesterday, was on 4.4.2 stock unrooted. I unlocked the bootloader using Sony's official website and fastboot, then I went on destroying the phone by flashing Philz touch recovery.img through fastboot.

And since then the phone has been bricked, I can only enter Fastboot through the blue led, while Flash mode doesn't show up any LED light and my PC sees the phone when on flashmode as n "S1 device with a parameter error".

I've tried all drivers, none worked, and the flashtool keeps suggesting I should update my drivers when connecting the phone on flash mode:

Is there any way I can recover from this through fastboot instead of the flashtool? I can still flash system.img and recovery.img through fastboot. I'd really appreciate any help right now.

Xperia phones do not have a recovery partition to flash recovery to via fastboot.

If you can enter fastboot, then flash a stock kernel.elf with flashtool (In fastboot mode).

Then you can use flashtool to relock your boot (I imagine you have not even taken a TA backup and you are new to xperia devices, your post suggests so)

then you should be able to use pccompanion to repair, or flashtool to flash a FTF

However, by flashing a recovery image you may have bricked the phone. try what I have said, if it does not work get back in touch. (Do you have access to jtag and setool?)

Reactions: Abu-7abash

Abu-7abash

Feb 21, 2011
Amman
Xperia phones do not have a recovery partition to flash recovery to via fastboot.

If you can enter fastboot, then flash a stock kernel.elf with flashtool (In fastboot mode).

Then you can use flashtool to relock your boot (I imagine you have not even taken a TA backup and you are new to xperia devices, your post suggests so)

then you should be able to use pccompanion to repair, or flashtool to flash a FTF

However, by flashing a recovery image you may have bricked the phone. try what I have said, if it does not work get back in touch. (Do you have access to jtag and setool?)
Can you link me to the files you suggested I try? There seems to be a truckload of them laying around the forum.

Also, yes, I am new to xperia phones. Didnt think they were this complicated to flash but I shouldnt have played with fastboot anyway. And no, sadly I dont have a jtag. Never needed one before.

Thanks for the help btw, I greatly appreciate this.

Maddhouse

Jul 26, 2012
West Sussex
i dont think you have 100% installed the drivers, on windows 7 upwards you need to disable driver signature to allow any unsigned drivers to be installed

Abu-7abash

Feb 21, 2011
Amman
Ok here is an update; after messing with fastboot for so long and a couple of kernel flashes, I managed to boot the phone :D But now its stuck on the Sony logo.

A sign of hope though lies with the fact that I managed to enter recovery mode and found CWM hanging there. So now Im probably going to try ADB push a rom file to the SD and try to flash it through recovery instead.
@gregbradley

Abu-7abash

Feb 21, 2011
Amman
Sounds good. The reason forth hang at the sony logo will be that you have wiped the system partition. Flashing a rom based on the kernel you have will enable the phone to boot

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Would flashing a custom rom zip from the CWM recovery, fix the bootloop? Or could it also be a baseband/firmware issue too?

Im not really familiar with Sony's bootloader unlock process, does it allow kernel flash from recovery or only through fastboot ala Htc style?

Vuja1

Dec 23, 2010
Novi Sad
Would flashing a custom rom zip from the CWM recovery, fix the bootloop? Or could it also be a baseband/firmware issue too?

Im not really familiar with Sony's bootloader unlock process, does it allow kernel flash from recovery or only through fastboot ala Htc style?

first flash original stock rom, than root your phone and install dualrecovery... and if u relock your bootloader unlock it again... don't try custom rom before this steps

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
Yes, as long as the .zip contains a kernel, or id based on the same kernel you have installed now
Yes, if you have an unlocked bootloader

Vuja1

Dec 23, 2010
Novi Sad
It already has the dual recovery on it but for some reason its stuck in a bootloop.

do u have any rom on it or u just have bootloop? i u can't access to rom, u need with flashtool to flash stock rom, when u do that u loose your root and lose your dualrecovery... u need to root it again and install dualrecovery

second is
if u can access to rom instal ndr utility and reboot in clockwork mod recovery...

third option si to install via fastboot advanced doomloader kernel which has clockwork mod and has root... after that to flash custom rom but stock version of custom rom ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sounds good. The reason forth hang at the sony logo will be that you have wiped the system partition. Flashing a rom based on the kernel you have will enable the phone to boot

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Any of you guys know of a Stock rooted 4.4.4 rom that comes with the stock kernel in a flashable zip? I have looked everywhere for one but I cant find any.
    @gregbradley @Vuja1

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2761614

try this one
    i did nothing to the phone , it was running fine till one day it decided not to work
    in short it is stock non rooted phone
    Hmm sounds exactly like a Sony phone lol.

Anyway, I recommend trying to warranty it if you've such an option, otheewise try to flash a 108 stock FTF image through flashtoll but makes sure you've the right drivers before you plug in the phone and also disable your anti virus too.
    hi
    my xperia z1 won't boot
    tried to boot it through fastboot and flashboot but nothing
    all it does is flash red a few times through the earphone
    i am not experienced in the flashing business
    any help will be deeply appreciated
    thanks

Plug in your phone to charger
    If you see red light, let the phone plugged in for one or two minutes
    If your phone has more than seventy percent charges, now you can flash it by flash tools including wipe apps log and cache and system
    I faced two or three times bricked my phone, but this method helped me
    The first time I had a minor heart attack! ;)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk