[APP][4.4+] OmniSwitch: Recent apps switcher for all KitKat ROMs

Search This thread

Venlor

Mar 12, 2014
Stellenbosch
OmniSwitch is a recent apps switcher created for OmniROM by maxwen, you can read more about it here. Even though the app was developed for OmniROM, it works on all KitKat ROMs. Users of non-KitKat ROMs can take a look at OmniSnitch.

The attached .zip file is to be used with custom recovery and flashes OmniSwitch.apk (extracted from OmniROM) to /system/priv-app, the app needs to be in this location for the kill apps function to work. You can also copy the attached apk to system/priv-app, you will also need to set the permissions to rw-r--r--, do not install it. If you're interested in the source code, you can find it here.

This thread was created with maxwen's permission.

Edit: I have changed both files, from what I saw with the tests I did, both methods work now. Thanks to ultimahwhat for the new apk and to OrglCe for his zip creator.
Let me know if there are any problems.

Edit: If you have any permission problems, it should be fixed after using lucky patcher to remove signature verification on your phone, as always, this is at own risk.

device-2014-02-02-103604-600x1000.png

21/05/2014: Update to version 1.1. New feature has been added. Signature differs so you can't use the apk to update the old version.

26/05/2014: Version 1.1 should work correctly now.

Attachments

• OmniSwitch.apk
    480.2 KB · Views: 12,231
  • OmniSwitch.zip
    587.4 KB · Views: 4,310
  • OmniSwitch1.1.apk
    655.9 KB · Views: 24,800
  • OmniSwitch1.1.zip
    763.7 KB · Views: 21,681
Last edited:

KingGehl

Dec 19, 2013
Good work, since i'm using vanir aosp definitly my favorite feature.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using xda app-developers app

Venlor

Mar 12, 2014
Stellenbosch
Does this version allow choosing custom icon packs?

PAC ROM'ed Exhilarate via Tapatalk

Yes, it does.

It gives an error although I set the permission right. Failed to gain system permissions

Can you try to flash it with a custom recovery? I was also struggling to get it to work by copying it, I got it working once but don't know what I did different, haven't had any problems when flashing via recovery.

Reactions: sshafranko

Chotu90

Apr 9, 2013
Mumbai
Yes, it does.

Can you try to flash it with a custom recovery? I was also struggling to get it to work by copying it, I got it working once but don't know what I did different, haven't had any problems when flashing via recovery.

I have tried both ways maybe it's the cm11 rom for the U which is the issue I'm not sure though

wigginst

Aug 6, 2011
Tried flashing it on stock 4.4.2 setup (rooted) on Nexus 5. Keep getting failed to gain permissions errors. Checked root explorer and correct permissions were shown however.

Venlor

Mar 12, 2014
Stellenbosch
I'm also getting the start failed error, I'm trying to figure out how to fix it.

I think I messed up with the signatures/certificates, I'm busy looking for a solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: ultimahwhat

ultimahwhat

Feb 28, 2011
I'm also getting the start failed error, I'm trying to figure out how to fix it.

I think I messed up with the signatures/certificates, I'm busy looking for a solution.

In the meantime, found a potential workaround, hope it is a kosher suggestion... Omni switch was included with and working on pac rom, so I just extracted the apk from one of the nightlies and copied it into the appropriate directory, changed permissions. Did not get permissions error after reboot and am able to use it with drag handle. Now if I could just replace the default recents launcher...

Sent from my Gummy'ed Exhilarate

Reactions: teeWrex and Venlor

Venlor

Mar 12, 2014
Stellenbosch
In the meantime, found a potential workaround, hope it is a kosher suggestion... Omni switch was included with and working on pac rom, so I just extracted the apk from one of the nightlies and copied it into the appropriate directory, changed permissions. Did not get permissions error after reboot and am able to use it with drag handle. Now if I could just replace the default recents launcher...

Was it a PAC ROM for your phone? Please send the file so that I can add it to the OP.

ultimahwhat

Feb 28, 2011
Was it a PAC ROM for your phone? Please send the file so that I can add it to the OP.

Yes, was for my phone, but doubt apk is device specific. I sent you a PM with a link for the apk. Cheers.

wigginst

Aug 6, 2011
Flashed zip and it works great on my nexus 5. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

KingGehl

Dec 19, 2013
Works great on my device, thanks! In my opinion the best feature for multitasking on android, should be built in in any rom :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OmniSwitch is a recent apps switcher created for OmniROM by maxwen, you can read more about it here. Even though the app was developed for OmniROM, it works on all KitKat ROMs. Users of non-KitKat ROMs can take a look at OmniSnitch.

The attached .zip file is to be used with custom recovery and flashes OmniSwitch.apk (extracted from OmniROM) to /system/priv-app, the app needs to be in this location for the kill apps function to work. You can also copy the attached apk to system/priv-app, you will also need to set the permissions to rw-r--r--, do not install it. If you're interested in the source code, you can find it here.

This thread was created with maxwen's permission.

Edit: I have changed both files, from what I saw with the tests I did, both methods work now. Thanks to ultimahwhat for the new apk and to OrglCe for his zip creator.
    Let me know if there are any problems.

Edit: If you have any permission problems, it should be fixed after using lucky patcher to remove signature verification on your phone, as always, this is at own risk.

device-2014-02-02-103604-600x1000.png

21/05/2014: Update to version 1.1. New feature has been added. Signature differs so you can't use the apk to update the old version.

26/05/2014: Version 1.1 should work correctly now.
    I found a solution

+1

Running CM11 here, successfully flash the zip installer, OmniSwitch working properly (side-sweep activation), but I cannot find a way to totally replace the "stock recent app switcher" with OmniSwitch.

I found the implementation on omnirom implementation here: https://github.com/omnirom/android_frameworks_base/commit/13d9f74a72136786a8ddcf3fd02bf07ab2a02073
    And other change here(not merged): https://github.com/omnirom/android_frameworks_base/commit/2fe1f0f24e23d84df1f321a9ded28b3a25256f22

But you need recompile frameworks_base of your rom with this modifications.

** EDIT **

Looking in links above we can see how ominirom system call ominiswitch overlay. Thinking that I did a app that call the overlay and you can use in a custom gesture of your launcher.

The unique problem for this solution is when I call the app its go to home(Like press the home button) and afterbthat call the overlay.

If can help improve this alternitive, help me on github: https://github.com/augustoicaro/Toggle-OmniSwitch

Note: Its only work if you really use omniswitch app(org.omnirom.omniswitch)
    Determination pays off, and this app is worth every curse word I have yelled because of not being able to kill apps with it for a long time now...

OK folks, I got it to install AND kill ALL apps, individual, and all except focused app.
    Not sure how, but here's what I did:

This is on note5 tw rom, 5.1.1 when previously I couldn't kill any apps whatsoever with omni. All it did was swipe away, and then reappear.

What I did was use an updated, flashable zip created by temasek for his cm12 room back in the day. But I used to flash the zip, and it wouldn't work on some roms like this one.
    So this time I copied the 'OmniSwitch' folder from this (attached below -step one) zip to system/priv-app and gave the folder 755 permissions and the app OmniSwitch.apk, 644 perms.

THEN...I copied this (attached below -step two) newer apk version to the same folder to overwrite the previous.
    Reboot.
    Open OmniSwitch in app drawer, enable the slider tab to turn it on...then set to boot and configure.

Hope it works for you. I'm not 100% on what I did different to make it work beside not flashing the zip this time.

the additional apk I provide, I have always copied over after I flashed the zip because it's a newer version, but still labeled 1.1 [not sure why they're both 1.1 but the apk is indeed a fixed newer version and it fixes the 'change icon size' fc.
    Ymmv
    [emoji14] [emoji106] [emoji111]

Step one: OmniSwitch flashable made by temasek originally for cm12.1, and also thanks to the omnirom team for a BRILLIANT task switching/app drawer. Best of its kind.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B62sm8wec7fgRkktX3RKV29QY0k/view?usp=docslist_api

Step two: Newer OmniSwitch apk. Featuring vertical app tiles and icons, and fixes the fc when trying to change icon size.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B62sm8wec7fgOFNFc1lWWU13eGs/view?usp=docslist_api

I love to hear if it works for anyone, and also if anyone knows what actually allowed it to work, please let me know. I'm very curious [emoji12]
    If you want to hit thanks, I won't be mad at ya. If you don't want to, I still won't be mad at ya. Just sad. [emoji22] [emoji56]
    LOL, just playin, enjoy it if it works dudes and ladies.

sent from sm-n920t
    omni switch for cm12.1

New omni switch from omni lollipop 5.1 build working on cm12.1(only for android 5.1 for android ver 5.0 look below)
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/7qaiddmbam4ndve/omni5.1.zip
    tested on CyanogenMOD 12.1 [UNOFFICIAL] by CraZY_BoY
    http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/development/wip-cyanogenmod-12-1-t3063266

Uninstall previous build before install the new one and if you need only the app you can find it inside the zip file

for cm12 you can use this (try this for lollipop version 5.0 5.0.1 or 5.0.2)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58911895
    I know this is an old thread, but I made a flashable zip for someone, so thought I'd share here. No need to mess with file explorers or changing permissions etc.... one and done.
    Working on CM13
    Here is link to zip.... https://kozmo21.stackstorage.com/index.php/s/is1DbHiEFtxE6ZZ