[Q] Unlocking phone without using another carrier's SIM Card

Search This thread

holdup

Mar 19, 2010
Sydney
Hi guys

I purchased a t-mobile mytouch 4g outright last week (no contract). When I contacted t-mobile about getting the phone unlocked, they were happy to provide me with an unlock code. The only problem for me is that unlocking the phone requires using a SIM card from other phone provider, something which I dont have access to atm. Is there any way for me to unlock the phone without having to use a SIM card from another provider. Buying a SIM card isnt cheap (eg $25 for AT&T SIM card), and I would like to get the phone unlocked before I head overseas (in case the unlock code doesn't actually work, I won't be able to return the phone to t-mobile without having some difficulties.

TrueBlue_Drew

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 10, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
The only way you would be able to do that, that I know of would be to root it and do the s off procedure. I think that also will do the sim unlock for you too. Read over the method that uses gfree and visionary. I think it talks a little about the sim unlock and when in the process it occurs.

Maybe you could just go to att and ask them if they have a sim card you can pop in to complete the process.

osugsxr

Jun 9, 2010
borrow one if possible, or do the root method. Worked perfectly fine for me doing that method

Global-CoN

Jan 27, 2011
First of all to correct True if you go that path you van manually do it via Radio S=OFF, since you have the code why go though all of that? Just do as Osu said and barrow any GSM based carriers SIM. This is another example of Android fail as WinMo has simlock.exe as toolkit for this very reason to unlock it without SIM card.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

wenglish

Feb 4, 2008
Edmonds WA
Is this a new process for unlocks from T-Mobile, that you need to have another provider's SIM card? If I recall correctly (dubious) from getting an unlock code for an MDA and an SDAseveral years ago they would just email you the unlock code and you would enter it into the phone.

Related question if I may: Does T-Mobile still give unlock codes to people who purchased a subsidized smartphone (in particular the MyTouch 4G)? I am considering buying three to replace aging original iPhones and a major reason for me sticking with T-Mobile over the years is their unlock policy. Just want to make sure it's not significantly different for smartphones.

Thanks ... Mike

nguyendqh

Dec 5, 2010
Houston
Is this a new process for unlocks from T-Mobile, that you need to have another provider's SIM card? If I recall correctly (dubious) from getting an unlock code for an MDA and an SDAseveral years ago they would just email you the unlock code and you would enter it into the phone.

Related question if I may: Does T-Mobile still give unlock codes to people who purchased a subsidized smartphone (in particular the MyTouch 4G)? I am considering buying three to replace aging original iPhones and a major reason for me sticking with T-Mobile over the years is their unlock policy. Just want to make sure it's not significantly different for smartphones.

Thanks ... Mike

What is their unlock policy?

holdup

Mar 19, 2010
Sydney
If the phone is taken on a contract, I believe the unlock policy is that it can only be done after 90 days. I bought the phone without a contract outright, which is why I was able to get the unlock code within a week (although I had to call them up and argue a little).

With regards to the unlocking itself, from what I understand if the phone is not rooted (I don't wanna do it yet as I'd rather keep the warranty for the time being, at least while Im still in the US), then the only way it can be unlocked is with another carrier's SIM card because that is the only way that you get prompted to enter the code. I have a code available for my phone, it's just getting the damn card so I can actually unlock it.

btw Im currently in a country with no contacts who are with AT&T, so getting their SIM card is easier said than done. It costs 25 bucks to purchase a AT&T SIM, something I would rather not do to get the unlocking procedure done. From what I've experienced At&T is the only major provider aside from t-mobile which still uses SIM cards, and Boost mobile/Sprint cards won't work with regards to unlocking because they use a completely different type of network, so the phone can't even detect their SIM card (I tried a Boost SIM and it didn't work)

Kline

Mar 5, 2009
Illinois

I just recently unlocked some of my older T-Mo phones to sell them more easily. They will provide you unlocks for a retail price phone in one week, or a contract subsidized phone in 90 days. You can even request unlocks for phones you no longer use (like my T-Mo Dash I found in a box in the garage).

To "complete" the unlock process you must insert a non-TMo SIM card and the device will prompt you for the code. After entering the code, the phone is unlocked and will remain that way. Borrow a friend's SIM, it's what I ended up doing. Alternatively, if you are just wanting to unlock to resell the phone later, the code is "always valid" for that phone's IMEI and you can just provide the next owner with the code.

Kline

Mar 5, 2009
Illinois
With regards to the unlocking itself, from what I understand if the phone is not rooted (I don't wanna do it yet as I'd rather keep the warranty for the time being, at least while Im still in the US), then the only way it can be unlocked is with another carrier's SIM card because that is the only way that you get prompted to enter the code. I have a code available for my phone, it's just getting the damn card so I can actually unlock it.

You can unlock without rooting using gfree, if getting a SIM is truly an issue just to complete the process. See the gfree thread.

gfree usage:
gfree [-h|-?|--help] [-v|--version] [-s|--secu_flag on|off]
-h | -? | --help: display this message
-v | --version: display program version
-s | --secu_flag on|off: turn secu_flag on or off
-c | --cid <CID>: set the CID to the 8-char long CID
-S | --sim_unlock: remove the SIMLOCK

Just run gfree only with -S and that should do the trick and leave the phone still S-ON and unrooted.

mr.tenuki

Oct 1, 2009
Bellevue
What happens if you boot your phone without SIM card? Maybe you can unlock then?
I'm unlocked so can't check that myself

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

wenglish

Feb 4, 2008
Edmonds WA
Holdup & Genocaust you are right. I found the unlock email from T-Mobile when I last did this in 2007, and yes, you do need to insert a foreign SIM.

holdup, not sure what you mean about only being able to use an AT&T SIM. I know for a fact you can use any UK-based SIM (T-Mobile, O2, Orange, Vodafone, even Tesco). You might look on fleaBay or Craigslist to see if anyone near wherever you are at has one for sale. It doesn't need to have credit on it as far as I recall.

holdup

Mar 19, 2010
Sydney
I know that any international gsm Sim will work, but part of the problem is I won't have one until I leave the country, and if the code by some chance doesn't work getting it exchanged or refunded. The At&t sim im referring to is a US sim, not Uk (might have been some confusion there), which t mobile assured me would work. I don't want to buy a sim online right now because I don't have a fixed address for more than a few days at a time (currently doing a tour of the Us).

r2d-two

Jan 27, 2011
You could just go to the AT&T store, and do one of the following:

1. Flat out ask them if they could let you borrow an AT&T SIM so you can unlock the phone. BTW, the SIM they lend you does not have to be activated for this to work. It just needs to have a different network ID in it, which it will, because it will either be blank or it will be AT&T's; and in either case it wont match the TMobile network id.

2. Tell the AT&T store rep that you are wanting to bring-in your mytouch into their network (you'll buy service), but that you first want to see how it would behave in their network... And so, could they let you borrow a SIM to "test drive" it in their network... tell them you heard the phone has a radio that is compatible with their 3G frequency and that you want to verify that...

BTW, there is another way to access the unlock screen. It's just that the easiest way to trigger that software is to insert a SIM with a different network ID. Call tmobile or HTC and they may give you the other process. I have done this in the past for other handsets...

Last edited:

el_smurfo

Oct 21, 2009
I know that any international gsm Sim will work, but part of the problem is I won't have one until I leave the country, and if the code by some chance doesn't work getting it exchanged or refunded. The At&t sim im referring to is a US sim, not Uk (might have been some confusion there), which t mobile assured me would work. I don't want to buy a sim online right now because I don't have a fixed address for more than a few days at a time (currently doing a tour of the Us).

It only takes 5 minutes. You don't have any friends or coworkers with a GSM SIM you could borrow? That's how I used to do it for my old dumb phones.

holdup

Mar 19, 2010
Sydney
i know it takes 5 mins, but if you bothered to read my post you would read that Im in a foreign country with no contacts, currently working in a hospital. Virtually all doctors I work with have an Iphone or some CDMA phone, haven't come across anyone with AT&T.

Anyway, got the phone unlocked, just went to an AT&T store n pretended to be interested in buying a SIM, then used a sim card they provided to unlock, thanks to everyone for their help