Status/notification bar disappears

Search This thread

Krept

May 10, 2011
First, apologies if this is a necro, but it popped up at the top of a Google search and the breadcrumbs left by/there here helped solve the problem.

I was having a similar problem. Rooted, changed device name via Amazon and had both Yahoo and GMail apps installed. I had been experiencing loss of the bar for about an hour and was trying to check my Yahoo acct and noticed Yahoo checked for new mail, but no mail ever populated. No change after reboot. I then uninstalled Yahoo and immediately got the “Talk has stopped“ error, then the bar came right back. The name on the Kindle simply reads “My Kindle“ as opposed to the registered name or the name I changed it to. Thus, while the nature of the error may remain unknown, there is additional support for a communication error and a fairly easy remedy.

JAG50

Apr 8, 2011
Darn, I had same problem a while ago and found solution in one of the threads. So the good news is that there is a fix. Problem went away for good. The bad news is that all i can remember is that it's had to do with Gmail. Try logging out and logging back in. Also try searching on Google for "missing notification bar fire HD."

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

onlineniranjan

Jun 29, 2011
gmail the dirty playert for notification / status bar

First, apologies if this is a necro, but it popped up at the top of a Google search and the breadcrumbs left by/there here helped solve the problem.

I was having a similar problem. Rooted, changed device name via Amazon and had both Yahoo and GMail apps installed. I had been experiencing loss of the bar for about an hour and was trying to check my Yahoo acct and noticed Yahoo checked for new mail, but no mail ever populated. No change after reboot. I then uninstalled Yahoo and immediately got the “Talk has stopped“ error, then the bar came right back. The name on the Kindle simply reads “My Kindle“ as opposed to the registered name or the name I changed it to. Thus, while the nature of the error may remain unknown, there is additional support for a communication error and a fairly easy remedy.

turn off the notifications for new gmail. Notification bar stays with custom name.

weirdmish

Dec 23, 2012
status bar

Same problem - unrooted kindle fire hd, side loaded googleloginservice and googleframework and installed all google apps: talk, voice, maps, gmail, currents, maps. After about a day, lost the status bar as described by many here and had a glitch with screen orientation which resulted in lag .

Uninstalled gmail, and restarted the kindle- that seems to work. Synced to amazon and now the kindle shows the registered name.

Well it is happening on my kfhd as well. Guess I will have to do a reset as well but rather not to tell the truth. Maybe unregister and reregister or is that the same thing

Update: just went into gmail and after closing, the bar is back! WT. :)

Cmonsta

May 1, 2011
Im on a rooted device. My notification bar would disappear too. I discovered thid happehappexned when a notification from gmail popped up. So i turned off notifications within gmail and bar came back. Now it says "My kindle" instead of my name.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

expone

May 23, 2008
Here my solution and Problem description:

The problem is caused really by gmail, so my conjecture. To run gmail and some other gapps you have to install or update the GoogleLoginServices.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk. One of these Seems providing the notification framework in a newer version. Gmail try to use this newer framework version that is not compatible with Android 4.0.3 of KFHD.

My solutions is, also already described in this thread, disable the notifications of the gmail app. If you need or want the notifications of Gmail nevertheless I recommend Gmail Label Notifier provided in the Play Store.

I didn't have any problems with my notification bar.

Best regards!

Reactions: sga999 and R3NR3N

buddyjwilson

Jan 10, 2013
Well it is happening on my kfhd as well. Guess I will have to do a reset as well but rather not to tell the truth. Maybe unregister and reregister or is that the same thing

It is being caused by the GMail notification. it you turn off the notification setting within gmail the problem will stop

matty mag

Nov 27, 2010
status bar is back

My status bar disappeared. I am rooted with Google play etc. Status bar kept flashing up but could not access it. It removed gmail and it came back straight away.

Ssantos6981

Oct 17, 2006
Yonkers
I don't have gmail...

I don't have gmail I do have the google play store, although its still labeled as "market". I don't know what happened, I have been trying for a while. Multiple resets and going through each app but nothing seem to restore the top nor the bottom bars. Once I enter an app I cannot exit the app unless I restart. I cannot access my settings either because that it located through the notification bar. I'm kind of stuck on the middle on this one. any help?

Kindle Noob

Feb 16, 2013
ditto

its definitely the notifications. thought i had it fixed yesterday and I was wrong. but that fixed it immediately.

thekid41

Jun 1, 2013
kfhd7

i dont have gmail or the app store installed and mine is still disappearing ant other known causes for this issue??

jamster98

Oct 20, 2013
gmail

I can confirm that, after opening and causing gmail, it worked, hoping non rooted devices can find a method too :)

sci3nc3r00lz

Dec 16, 2013
Bad Gmail, bad!

I had this same exact problem; after rooting and installing Google apps (Play Store, Gmail, Maps, etc.) my notification and soft bar menu hadn't completely disappeared, but it would pop up occasionally (and randomly), but of course never when I needed it. After some searching on the web, and a lot of digging in this forum, I also found and confirmed that it was Gmail of all things causing my problem. I uninstalled Gmail(Kindle has an all-in-one e-mail app of its own, so I don't really need/care that Gmail is gone) and rebooted, and my soft bar menu and notification area are both back, without any problems that I can see (so far, anyways). So anyways, try it! Looks like uninstalling Gmail worked for a few of us here~

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
I had this same exact problem; after rooting and installing Google apps (Play Store, Gmail, Maps, etc.) my notification and soft bar menu hadn't completely disappeared, but it would pop up occasionally (and randomly), but of course never when I needed it. After some searching on the web, and a lot of digging in this forum, I also found and confirmed that it was Gmail of all things causing my problem. I uninstalled Gmail(Kindle has an all-in-one e-mail app of its own, so I don't really need/care that Gmail is gone) and rebooted, and my soft bar menu and notification area are both back, without any problems that I can see (so far, anyways). So anyways, try it! Looks like uninstalling Gmail worked for a few of us here~

Make sure you are using the most up to date Gapps. Here are ) day Gapps. This is for those running a custom ROM as well http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942

EdgeXD

Apr 29, 2014
I fixed it kindle fire is working properly

My status bar keeps disappearing. It pops back up for a moment, every few seconds, but then disappears again. It's like the device thinks it should be in full screen mode or something. I first experienced it after installing ever note, which went to a full screen display after I logged in. I un installed ever note and re booted twice... the second re boot seemed to fix it. But it just happened again when I launched the xda premium app.
I also notice that it no longer says my name, just "my kindle", in the status bar... before disappearing again. Maybe that element of the launcher is stuck in a cycle???
Anyone else experiencing this or know a fix?

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

Hey man forgive me if this doesn't work for you ok. Here it is, I had multiple emails to start with. I was looking through my emails and realised I had some spam messages stored in my mail. I simply started deleting unessassary crap that I didn't need and walla my notification bar stayed down.

Guys for me it's a big relief and I really hope this helps for those who needed it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It definitely appears to be caused by Gmail. Just turn off notifications from Gmail in the app settings and you will no longer encounter the issue.

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium
    Here my solution and Problem description:

The problem is caused really by gmail, so my conjecture. To run gmail and some other gapps you have to install or update the GoogleLoginServices.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk. One of these Seems providing the notification framework in a newer version. Gmail try to use this newer framework version that is not compatible with Android 4.0.3 of KFHD.

My solutions is, also already described in this thread, disable the notifications of the gmail app. If you need or want the notifications of Gmail nevertheless I recommend Gmail Label Notifier provided in the Play Store.

I didn't have any problems with my notification bar.

Best regards!

I had the same problem. I went into "Settings" and there is a section to manage Notification settings. I just turned off notifications to apps I didn't need and the problem stopped. I didn't go as far as figuring out which App was responsible but it seems that certain apps can screw it up.