[Q] Galaxy Nexus shows "No Command" after Recovery

Search This thread

GR5000

Dec 7, 2013
I have a Galaxy Nexus, GSM version. It was working fine about ~3 weeks ago. I turned it off and removed the SIM card as I upgraded to a new phone.

Now I've turned it on and it just hangs on boot showing the animated X.

I tried recovery mode and get a "No Command" error.

I've never done anything to this phone before, in other words it's just running standard Android. Any advice? I've looked through some past posts but it seems like a lot of people have rooted the phone with custom OS, etc. I've never done any of that. So trying to figure out what the issue is with this phone. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

GR

GR5000

Dec 7, 2013
<BUMP> sorry for pinging on this again but haven't seen any replies and I'm stuck... not able to get the phone to start. Any help would be much appreciated. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem? Thanks so much. GR

I have a Galaxy Nexus, GSM version. It was working fine about ~3 weeks ago. I turned it off and removed the SIM card as I upgraded to a new phone.

Now I've turned it on and it just hangs on boot showing the animated X.

I tried recovery mode and get a "No Command" error.

I've never done anything to this phone before, in other words it's just running standard Android. Any advice? I've looked through some past posts but it seems like a lot of people have rooted the phone with custom OS, etc. I've never done any of that. So trying to figure out what the issue is with this phone. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

GR

GR5000

Dec 7, 2013
Thank you so much for the info. I'm trying this when I see the no command screen but nothing happens. The phone is just completely locked / frozen. I have to remove the battery. Any additional help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

GR

when you see this "no command", press power + volume up to see the recovery menu

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Maybe you don't even have a custom recovery installed yet? Not necessary, but since custom recovery are far more convenient than the stock one, you might wanna give it a try.

Sent from Google Nexus 4 @ CM11

GR5000

Dec 7, 2013
The phone is completely stock. I've never done anything to it so not sure why I'm having this issue to begin with. But what custom recovery would you recommend I try? Is there a link that you can send me? And how would I install it given that I cannot even get the phone to boot?

Thank you

Maybe you don't even have a custom recovery installed yet? Not necessary, but since custom recovery are far more convenient than the stock one, you might wanna give it a try.

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
And how would I install it given that I cannot even get the phone to boot?

Hold both VOLUME+ and VOLUME- keys, and while holding, long press POWER key. Do you see a green Android robot with its lids open? If yes, you're in fastboot mode, from which you can flash recovery, stock ROM, etc. (but if no...)

I'm on the phone now and can't provide links... Just first tell us whether you could boot into fastboot, will catch up later depending on your answer.

Last edited:

GR5000

Dec 7, 2013
When the phone is off, if I turn it on it just hangs at the animated X.

When the phone is off, if I press volume up/down + power then yes I see the screen that you're talking about. So I can boot into fastboot. When I choose Recovery Mode it restarts and that's when I get the No Command error.

Thank you so much for your help.

GR

Hold both VOLUME+ and VOLUME- keys, and while holding, long press POWER key. Do you see a green Android robot with its lids open? If yes, you're in fastboot mode, from which you can flash recovery, stock ROM, etc. (but if no...)

I'm on the phone now and can't provide links... Just first tell us whether you could boot into fastboot, will catch up later depending on your answer.

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
When the phone is off, if I turn it on it just hangs at the animated X.

When the phone is off, if I press volume up/down + power then yes I see the screen that you're talking about. So I can boot into fastboot. When I choose Recovery Mode it restarts and that's when I get the No Command error.

Thank you so much for your help.

GR

Install the correct ADB and fastboot drivers and files on your PC (I can't help you with this).
When your GNex is in fastboot, connect it to your PC, wait for it to get recognized.
Download CWM recovery here: http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager - you'll have to choose your device variant (GSM/Verizon/Sprint), and choose if you want touch or not. Downloaded file should be an *.img file.
Open a command prompt window on your PC, enter "fastboot flash recovery *PATH-TO-YOUR-RECOVERY*.img" (no quotes). After flashing completes, just boot into recovery and do what you should do.

GR5000

Dec 7, 2013
Just want to thank everyone for all of the help. I really appreciate it. Andy, I did try several of the steps that you mentioned but for some reason the PC just wouldn't recognize the phone in fastboot mode. I tried both the Google and Samsung drivers.

In my searching I found this post though:
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/help/nexus-4-stock-recovery-command-issue-t2113478/page2

And realized that I should check samer's advice again. Turns out that I just wasn't pressing those two buttons in the correct sequence. I was doing it simultaneously and I guess you have to do it serially. At any rate was able to restore factory and now the phone is booting. Wow. What a pain. Still not sure what caused the phone to blow up in the first place.

At any rate really appreciate everyone's help.

Warm regards,

GR

Install the correct ADB and fastboot drivers and files on your PC (I can't help you with this).
When your GNex is in fastboot, connect it to your PC, wait for it to get recognized.
Download CWM recovery here: http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager - you'll have to choose your device variant (GSM/Verizon/Sprint), and choose if you want touch or not. Downloaded file should be an *.img file.
Open a command prompt window on your PC, enter "fastboot flash recovery *PATH-TO-YOUR-RECOVERY*.img" (no quotes). After flashing completes, just boot into recovery and do what you should do.